Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rhyno posted:

True but they have retconned him into Earth Prime Superman. The twins now existed years before and also they are twins not a single infant. They're also doing their best to not have him in the crappy Supergirl suit, only evil Superman has worn it.

They retconned him into Earth Prime Superman like Kara was retconned into Earth Prime Supergirl. We have no idea what has happened with Superman villains post Crisis except Lex is loved on this Earth and Edge is a different person. Zod could still work but once again, I'd be ok with them not revisiting him.

Who are the biggest Superman villains that haven't been used by the CW already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Spacebump posted:

They mentioned Doomsday in the Crisis crossover but haven't shown him, Darkseid also got mentioned in a tie-in comic but never shown. Also weirdly for having both Brainiac-5 and Brainiac-8, the original hasn't shown up. There was a Bizarro Supergirl but we haven't seen a Superman equivalent AFAIK.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Brainiac, Mongul, Terra Man, Bizarro, Parasite. Turn the Eradicator into the Krypton Man like in the comics (which is basically what Edge is), Hank Henshaw except that he sucks.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
They already used Livewire on Supergirl but I don't really care so long as they can get Lori Petty to come back and do her for live action. She's doing pretty good for almost 60!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spacebump posted:

They retconned him into Earth Prime Superman like Kara was retconned into Earth Prime Supergirl. We have no idea what has happened with Superman villains post Crisis except Lex is loved on this Earth and Edge is a different person. Zod could still work but once again, I'd be ok with them not revisiting him.

Clark's retcon seems to be different from Kara's. At the end of Crisis he got a call from Lois and was extremely puzzled by her saying "the twins." And here we are on the show now and he hasn't shown a hint that he doesn't remember every moment of life on EP.

I think it's just the producers taking advantage of the new universe and Supergirl ending so they don't have to saddle themselves with bullshit continuity.

Another note, Jor-El said that Edge wasn't any of those things when he cried about being Kal's brother. So that's why I think he's not a Kryptonian.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Clark's retcon seems to be different from Kara's. At the end of Crisis he got a call from Lois and was extremely puzzled by her saying "the twins." And here we are on the show now and he hasn't shown a hint that he doesn't remember every moment of life on EP.

I think it's just the producers taking advantage of the new universe and Supergirl ending so they don't have to saddle themselves with bullshit continuity.

Another note, Jor-El said that Edge wasn't any of those things when he cried about being Kal's brother. So that's why I think he's not a Kryptonian.

That part with Clark felt weird at the end of Crisis bc weren't only paragons (or those zapped to remember) the only ones that were supposed to know about the previous continuity? I might have missed something for why he remembered though.

I hope you are right about the producers taking advantage of the new universe. I feel like if there wasn't a pandemic and the Batwoman crossover had happened as planned, this season might have already been saddled with stuff it didn't need.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the future of this series. I'm real curious to see how they handle the upcoming episode with Diggle or any crossovers next season. My understanding was Kara was originally going to be in the pilot but a combination of pregnancy and the pandemic caused that plan to change. I hope when they finally have her cameo, Clark builds up to her visit with constant "my cousin" references.

I wish CW could keep big crossovers out of main series episode counts and just do a mini series each year with tons of Arrowverse cast members.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Rhyno posted:

Brainiac, Mongul, Terra Man, Bizarro, Parasite. Turn the Eradicator into the Krypton Man like in the comics (which is basically what Edge is), Hank Henshaw except that he sucks.

They've had Parasite in Supergirl and that seems to have carried through past the Crisis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did they? I've been struggling to pay attention for a while. I know they had a Metallo but I don't know if it was THE Metallo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
S&L should ignore as much of the CW universe as possible.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

Did they? I've been struggling to pay attention for a while. I know they had a Metallo but I don't know if it was THE Metallo.

Supergirl for sure did a spin on Parasite. He was a climate scientist who found an alien life form in a core sample from a glacier in, oh let's say Norway, and he decided the best way to save the planet was to kill a bunch of energy company executives. This was back in maybe season 2 or 3? I don't remember exactly.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I think the most clunky sounding thing they did on Supergirl was calling the clone the Red Daughter during that storyline. Not the worst storyline they did but felt like they just had to try and leach off Red Son in the dumbest way possible.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For Superman villains, they could finally get into Intergang and dig into that or they could also try the Invisible Mafia stuff from Rebirth. For other rogues that Supergirl hasn't used yet besides the ones listed, there's Atomic Skull, Mala (from TAS), The Prankster, Jax-Ur (though apparently a version appeared in Krypton, Ultra Humanite, and a veritable laundry list of other villains who are either of less renown or renown that was became more attached to other heroes.

Edit: I'd kill to see a proper Vartox as made amusingly famous in Power Girl, but I imagine that version would be more appropriate in Legends.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 24, 2021

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I'm also ok with them not using Zod. There's a feeling I like about Superman's career in the show is that it feels like he's been doing this for a long time,
like he already fought all of his big battles during his 20s-30s and now it's more about disaster relief and the occasional smaller villain.

I'd love for Jon Cryer to show up at one point, but I'm happy if they just talk about Mongul being defeated rather than having him turn up.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Kyle's very noticeably hispanic

???

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Have you missed all the "mija"s and such?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
dw

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

oh jay posted:

I think so, yeah! Because he seemed very Generic White Trumper Dude to me

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I had the same thought. Blame the desaturated color palette for making everyone kinda beige.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

oh jay posted:

Pretty sure he sings in his native tongue when he's shitfaced as well, (I'm afraid I couldn't tell what language it was)

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
They got dangerously close to "why do you look white" during that tv interview

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
There’s a moment in the episode where he brings back his mother where he’s got to go, and Clark looks to Lois… and then to both of his sons for the nod that it’s ok to go and gently caress, that poo poo sold me on this show.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It still feels weird. CW isn't allowed to make good shows.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

The 100 was good for... three and a half seasons? And still pretty enjoyable for the bad seasons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The blank look of astonishment when Lois says she loves Clark is wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP8KaLvgwdw

I love this version of Lois and Clark way too much.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

Legends Of Tomorrow, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, iZombie, In The Dark...

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Rhyno posted:

The blank look of astonishment when Lois says she loves Clark is wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP8KaLvgwdw

I love this version of Lois and Clark way too much.

The real winner for me is his face showing his entire thought process when asked how many languages he speaks.

"Well, let's see... One, two... let me run through the entire list at Super Speed... All of them? Huh. Wow. That might sound conceited. But I can't lie!"

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Urgh, scheduling. (I understand, but still urgh)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Legends Of Tomorrow, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, iZombie, In The Dark...

Arrow was good for 3.5 seasons. Maybe 4.5.

Flash had one amazing season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

Arrow was good for 3.5 seasons. Maybe 4.5.

Flash had one amazing season.

As did Black Lightning. Also all the crossovers were really good. Invasion! not so much, but Elseworlds, Earth-X and Crisis were all stellar.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Earth-X was probably the high point of the entire Arrowverse.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Really wish the Arroverse could get a show that is essentially JLU but live action.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finally got completely caught up and normally i hate when the villain is literally just the hero but evil, especially if there is some unneeded familial connection, but i don't completely hate this. Though i could do without the "Lara-El had a secret first family" part.

This will probably end with Jonathan talking Clark down, him being built up as the heart of the team.

Also its just weird to see the Eradicator as a sperm looking thing, rather than a early 90s dude with techno visors and energy blasts.

I really would love to see Kara show up on this, if only to see Benoist in this series and the way its directed and acted. Also in the flashback episode I did expect them to show Jimmy as a young black kid to at least keep that connection.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

twistedmentat posted:

Also its just weird to see the Eradicator as a sperm looking thing, rather than a early 90s dude with techno visors and energy blasts.
That's actually comics accurate!

http://rumblers-league.wikidot.com/eradicator-device

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
drat, I was hoping to see an actual picture of a soerm looking Eradicator!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I really would love to see Kara show up on this, if only to see Benoist in this series and the way its directed and acted.
The best way to do this would be to have Aunt Kara show up when Lois and Clark are away—completely unaware the boys know everything—so they all tap dance around the Kyrptonian thing while trying to hide their powers from each other.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Slamhound posted:

The best way to do this would be to have Aunt Kara show up when Lois and Clark are away—completely unaware the boys know everything—so they all tap dance around the Kyrptonian thing while trying to hide their powers from each other.

That would work so well.

Another reason would be Kara visiting to talk to Lois about something she's doing a story on.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Eh, I really like the show as it is, it has a completely different tone and feel to the rest of the cw output. I don't want to lose that by introducing characters from other, worse shows.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Slamhound posted:

for tonal consistency, it'd be the other way around where the A-plot is Kara, Lois and Clark (and maybe some others) all doing hero poo poo while the B-plot is the above with the remaining characters. Optimally, Alex, Brainy and Dreamer. It also probably would've worked better when they all still worked at the DEO

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

So it looks like the next episode is the end of Diggle's mini Arrowverse arch from Batgirl and Flash. Hoping getting other Arrowverse stuff on this show doesn't mess anything up. Glad it is Diggle at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spacebump posted:

So it looks like the next episode is the end of Diggle's mini Arrowverse arch from Batgirl and Flash. Hoping getting other Arrowverse stuff on this show doesn't mess anything up. Glad it is Diggle at least

Well, this is their put up or shut up moment for their dribbling non-committal Green Lantern teasing. If they were gonna plant a flag in it, a Superman show would be the place to do it.

They won't.