Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JordanKai posted:

:popeye: They really doubled down on this banker Goblin thing later on in the franchise instead of toning it down, huh?

I believe these goblin stills were promo pieces for the Wizarding World attraction at Universal Studios. The Star of David on the bank floor was there since 2001 however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
harmony korine sucks. rich guy masquerading as a record keeper of what weird poor people are like. gently caress outta here faker!!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

when he was going around deliberately inciting people into beating him up i would have flung myself at him like a wild chimpanzee unprompted

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nobody on the production was like, "hey, maybe let's tone this down"?

I can kind of understand Watto in the prequels, because George Lucas had total control over everything and could insist on a greedy semite with a thick accent talking about nubians if that's what he wanted to do. The Harry Potter movies seem like more than a few people were involved and that they had time to respond to, say, criticism of covetous goblins who control the world's banks hoarding piles of gold by literally wrapping their arms around stacks of gold coins.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
People are rarely inclined to pull the brakes on the money train.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I think the people involved were just so much into pumping out Harry Potter fantasy creatures that they didn't even think that "Goblin man banker that loves money" could be perceived as a racist caricature.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Hopefully by the time Jenny does another video on Galaxy's Edge the park will have removed the shopkeeper who sells expensive and tacky-looking merchandise who is also a member of Watto's species so she can just skip over that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Didn’t they double down in Episode 2 and give Watto payots or something?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Pants Donkey posted:

They gave him a hat. I don't think it was an Orthodox-lookin' hat I just remember it being a hat, to show that it was like ten years since the last movie I guess. He grew a hat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pants Donkey posted:

No, he's wearing part of a droid's head cause he's broke.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

They gave him a beard that definitely doesn't help differentiate him from a caricature of a Jewish person, and the hat isn't identical but has a round brim that extends over his face and was enough to make me gasp in shock when he showed up in Episode II.

I mean, it's hard not to see it as doubling down after he was already pretty bad in the first movie:

At least Boss Nass didn't come back in the other movies.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Viewtiful Jew posted:

They gave him a hat. I don't think it was an Orthodox-lookin' hat I just remember it being a hat, to show that it was like ten years since the last movie I guess. He grew a hat.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

"he grew a hat" is a very upsetting turn of phrase

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's the top part of the tiny eye bots he ahd in his shop.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Looked up Watto on Wookieepedia and what do you know he has a far too fleshed out backstory.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

MonsieurChoc posted:

No, he's wearing part of a droid's head cause he's broke.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's the top part of the tiny eye bots he ahd in his shop.

Nope

what an absolute fool, not remembering what a DUM-series pit droid head looks like...

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Kim Justice posted:

The contrast between the vtuber anime avatar and the incredibly violent way they play most games will never not be hilarious to me.

STAY HOME DAYO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9rOXkwfuac

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Piell posted:

Nope

what an absolute fool, not remembering what a DUM-series pit droid head looks like...

I mean minus the eye piece that looks right.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Garrand posted:

May continues her Iceberg video in part 2
Note, I have not actually watched it yet so I don't know how disturbing this one's subjects are but I'm assuming it's going to be significantly worse than part 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8KznPlOMsc

i enjoyed this series as someone who likes to gawk at weird and grotesque poo poo but without dedicating any more of my life to experiencing it first hand.

there are so many bad movies in the world

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

JordanKai posted:

:popeye: They really doubled down on this banker Goblin thing later on in the franchise instead of toning it down, huh?

Book 7 is where we finally learn stuff about goblin society besides that they are hook-nosed bankers. We learned they don't have a concept of "gifts" and consider everything given to a non-goblin to be a "loan". They can make metal that absorbs anything that does not destroy it, making it stronger. This is key to the plot in a way that they can't downplay, because the Sword of Griffindor from Book 2 is goblin-made, and it absorbed Basilisk venom, so it's one of the few things that can destroy horcruxes. They end up having to barter the sword away to get a goblin to cooperate with them, then he betrays them. And oop it turns out the sword itself doesn't give a poo poo about goblin loan culture and is eternally loyal to Griffindor House members, so it returns just in time to smash some more horcruxes and save the day! Woo!

fun hater posted:

harmony korine sucks. rich guy masquerading as a record keeper of what weird poor people are like. gently caress outta here faker!!

Every current and past member of the Pussy Posse should be sentenced to a life locked in the pillory

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Every current and past member of the Pussy Posse should be sentenced to a life locked in the pillory

they considered it but they realized David Blaine would just keep escaping and letting the others out

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT4bDCb3fmI

Taking a look at the wholly unexplored and clumsy racism in Shadow & Bone.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Lotus Aura posted:

I dunno about that. I think it's kinda great that her additions include actual hosed up poo poo next to weird bad "it's just a prank, bro" nonsense like Trash Humpers.

And then her final addition is the most unwatchable of all of them: Nostalgia Critic's The Wall.

I mean, I'll grudgingly take Harmony Korine or Lars Von Trier's stuff over "Vomit necrodolls part 4" for a list, but it's true nobody ever needs to see Nostalgia Critic's The Wall.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

The contrast between the vtuber anime avatar and the incredibly violent way they play most games will never not be hilarious to me.

STAY HOME DAYO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olLZvkmZikk

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Jimbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT4bDCb3fmI

Taking a look at the wholly unexplored and clumsy racism in Shadow & Bone.
Speaking as another Chinese-American, I'm going to be the other side of the hegemony here and say that I found Xiran's points here to be very strange and disagreed with almost everything she said.

Perhaps it's because I haven't read the original books? She brings up that Alina experiences disproportionately more racism than the other PoC and my response is just "...Yeah? And?" That didn't feel like a weakness of worldbuilding, to me it just signaled that Shu-han people experience more racism in this world, which is worldbuilding. To me, when Alina shows no interest in going to Shu-han if she gets to travel, it's actually a smart way to indicate that Alina herself has absorbed much of Ravkan identity and doesn't even consider Shu-han to be a viable destination.

This video just feels half-finished. Xiran clinically describes the manner in which this story portrays its fantasy anti-Asian racism, but doesn't seem to go the next step towards elaborating on why this portrayal is bad.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
star wars is a franchise where everyone's so busy being upset about racial caricatures that they consistently ignore that a huge main thrust of the films is "the old white people create and maintain various systems of slavery"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Speaking as another Chinese-American, I'm going to be the other side of the hegemony here and say that I found Xiran's points here to be very strange and disagreed with almost everything she said.

Perhaps it's because I haven't read the original books? She brings up that Alina experiences disproportionately more racism than the other PoC and my response is just "...Yeah? And?" That didn't feel like a weakness of worldbuilding, to me it just signaled that Shu-han people experience more racism in this world, which is worldbuilding. To me, when Alina shows no interest in going to Shu-han if she gets to travel, it's actually a smart way to indicate that Alina herself has absorbed much of Ravkan identity and doesn't even consider Shu-han to be a viable destination.

This video just feels half-finished. Xiran clinically describes the manner in which this story portrays its fantasy anti-Asian racism, but doesn't seem to go the next step towards elaborating on why this portrayal is bad.

She points this out by saying there's another full-blooded Shu-han character and the show does nothing with it. It's not world-building if it builds towards nothing. That's just window dressing. From my perspective the show handles racism and class struggle in the same way Bioshock Infinite does.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Jimbot posted:

She points this out by saying there's another full-blooded Shu-han character and the show does nothing with it. It's not world-building if it builds towards nothing. That's just window dressing. From my perspective the show handles racism and class struggle in the same way Bioshock Infinite does.
A cultural expatriate isn't required to be compelled by, or drawn towards, their "homeland" to be a realistic character. They might not feel any kinship towards others who look like them, finding them just as alien as the locals do. That's simply another side of the immigrant experience. I don't feel the need to strike up a conversation with every Chinese person I meet; in fact, talking with "real" Chinese people can be intimidating, they might think I speak wrong or are too American.

Perhaps there's a missed opportunity for Alina to have bonded with Botkin, but along the same lines, the fact that she doesn't tells me just as much about her.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kim Justice posted:

STAY HOME DAYO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmRr2jzva_4

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jimbot posted:

It's not world-building if it builds towards nothing. That's just window dressing.
that's the purpose of world building.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jimbot posted:

Isn't the majority of world building largely pointless? Nerds latch on to world building the same way they do magic systems, because they love the pointless pedantry which is why back when we had the TVTropes threads every aspiring troper author would always write pages and pages about their world building and video gamey magic systems but not a single one would have gently caress all about narrative, character or plot structure.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Why is the answer to noticing racism, "eh who cares, none of it matters any ways?" The video talks about how Asian people would like to enjoy the same things you do without needless bullshit.

But just from the responses I'm assuming y'all don't have to deal with microaggressions that can end in your death.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nuebot posted:

Isn't the majority of world building largely pointless? Nerds latch on to world building the same way they do magic systems, because they love the pointless pedantry which is why back when we had the TVTropes threads every aspiring troper author would always write pages and pages about their world building and video gamey magic systems but not a single one would have gently caress all about narrative, character or plot structure.

World building is important too. If you don't do that, you get a setting that feels like it only exists for the main characters, and detracts from the narrative. At that point, the story might as well just be set in the real world. Granted an author can obviously go too far. It also provides interesting plot opportunities.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Bleck posted:

star wars is a franchise where everyone's so busy being upset about racial caricatures that they consistently ignore that a huge main thrust of the films is "the old white people create and maintain various systems of slavery"

Hey, did someone "Star Wars" and "slavery"? Let's see what Wookieepedia has to say about the matter...

quote:

For Anakin, who later trained as a Jedi, his history as a slave created some difficult emotional complications for his prospect of life in the Jedi Order. Because slavery naturally bred and intensified the dark side-inducing emotions of hatred and fear—anathema to the Jedi, as fostering these feelings was antithetical to the Jedi tenets and beliefs that strengthened their connection to the light side of the Force[3]—Anakin faced peculiar challenges of the mind and spirit in his quest not only to become a Jedi Knight, but also to fulfill his destiny as "the Chosen One".[4][5][6]

Thanks, Star Wars!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

She is terrifying

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Bleck posted:

you could simply make the exact same movies without the racial caricatures and the message of the movies would be completely unchanged. Make watto not have a big nose and a yiddish accent and every other aspect of the movie is the same.

if they wanted people to care about the message of the movie they shouldn't have put in distractions that muddy the message. also i don't think the people who make Star Wars actually want people to care about the message of the movie in any real way

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 25, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The only good Star Wars thing was Shadows of the Empire on N64 cause you could input WAMPA STOMPA in the password screen and play as a Wampa

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The telescoping plastic lightsaber toys that I had when I was a kid were also cool

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Casey Finnigan posted:

if they wanted people to care about the message of the movie they shouldn't have put in distractions that muddy the message.

the ongoing reaction to the caricatures and continuous refusal to engage with arguably the core thesis of the first six films is arguably the point

literally the things you are saying, right now, is the point,

star wars fans are famous for not getting star wars so let me summarize anakin skywalker: anakin was a slave who thought it would be cool to be a jedi and then he realizes that they're the same thing

Bleck fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

then he rejects slavery by killing a bunch of kids and becoming a slave. powerful stuff.