Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Lutha Mahtin posted:

cities use the new fancy meters too, it allows you to take readings without sending out meter readers

Oh yeah for sure. This year I rented a fire hydrant meter that has one of those. The deposit was ridiculous and I am worried about it walking. The website said it takes like 1/30 of a second to transmit the reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Another successful job by Howard, Fine, and Howard Plumbing.

I understood this reference. They also practice law (and medicine).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lutha Mahtin posted:

cities use the new fancy meters too, it allows you to take readings without sending out meter readers

On our "new" meters the actual water meter is the same.
It has a pulse counter that senses the turning of the arrow.
Sadly instead of some steampunk turbine powered by main water pressure, it is powered by a battery with a life of 12 years.
(The 4G device it's connected to has its own battery with a life of 5 years. Probably still cheaper than reading the meter...)

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 23, 2021

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

"Careful, somebody might fall."

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Whats an aestetically pleasing way to add height to wobbly furniture legs?

For context the apartment I rent has major support beam issues so the flooring is slanted. Its beyond chairs and tables, it the fridge and countertops as well. A lot of things are wobbly.

Yes, I know apt is hosed.

A mold or putty that can dry and harden would look much nicer, than just shoving wood planks under it. (which we're currently doing).

Anything that doesnt stand out to much I could use?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How much are we talking? Like 1/8" or 3"?

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
There's a 1/4" block under the countertop, and a 1/2" under the refridgerator.

The landlord just shoved wood from the scrap pile under them.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 23, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zaepg posted:

There's a 1/4" block under the countertop, and a 1/2" under the refridgerator.

The landlord just shoved wood from the scrap pile under them.

You can try things like caster cups for furniture: https://www.lowes.com/pl/Caster-cups-Furniture-hardware-Hardware/4294711120

And I really like snap off plastic shims for heavier things like appliances: https://www.amazon.com/Shim-Heavy-Duty-Shims-Plastic/dp/B01JMZ99TQ

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Motronic posted:

You can try things like caster cups for furniture: https://www.lowes.com/pl/Caster-cups-Furniture-hardware-Hardware/4294711120

And I really like snap off plastic shims for heavier things like appliances: https://www.amazon.com/Shim-Heavy-Duty-Shims-Plastic/dp/B01JMZ99TQ

Thanks! I'll look into those.

Despite the dismal shape of the townhouse/apartment I live in, my landlord fully reimburses me for any fix-up projects I undertake, so that's the one silver-lining in this project.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/douzmanian/status/1407540047155499012?s=19

That flooring.:gonk:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

why did they take out/install over the original flooring? wtf

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Old flooring was loving awesome

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

zaepg posted:

Thanks! I'll look into those.

Despite the dismal shape of the townhouse/apartment I live in, my landlord fully reimburses me for any fix-up projects I undertake, so that's the one silver-lining in this project.

Just remember that you should only do the projects you WANT to do and don't mind giving away when you're done - otherwise, you're just giving the landlord free labor

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Vim Fuego posted:

why did they take out/install over the original flooring? wtf

gently caress that, why did they flatten the ceilings

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I don't hate the exterior (it isn't great but it's mostly the same and TBH I don't really like those plaster casts e: changed my mind, it looks weirdly empty without something there) but everything else is a travesty. Except for ditching the yellow tile.
Who thought it would be a good idea to make a piss-colored bathroom with brown accents anyway?

SkyeAuroline posted:

Don't have to mess with an arched ceiling when installing the can lights. And also probably "people don't like arched ceilings" or some bullshit like that.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 24, 2021

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't really care about anything else, especially not that awful bathroom, but tearing out those floors is mind bending. It's such a weird decision I almost wonder if it's because that one room has stars of David.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Hewey, Dookie and Lewey

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

SkyeAuroline posted:

:catstare:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

There is a special place in hell for people who buy houses with historic character and loving "modernize" the interior with just cheap poo poo. These are the same fucks who paint walnut or quarter-saw oak trim, replace original lighting with modern poo poo (Get it rewired you assholes), replace wood windows with lovely vinyl.
The fun thing that's happened here is that a few flippers have tried to do this in the fancy neighborhoods where the reason rich people want to move there is for the historic charm. They keep trying to flip these houses, ruin them, and they sit on the market forever.
If you want a modern house, that's fine. Buy or build a modern house. Don't buy a cool old house an ruin it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:( :hf: :(

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A building collapsed in Miami beach
:(
The GBS thread

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

You want slip & trip hazards? We got slip & trip hazards!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm penguin walking all over that place.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

You want slip & trip hazards? We got slip & trip hazards!

My coccyx hurts looking at this.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

8one6 posted:

I'll rub it for you ;)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

8one6 posted:

Of course a skeleton avatar knows what that is. :lol:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
An apartment building in Miami partially collapsed. 1 dead so far. https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/24/us/building-collapse-miami-thursday/index.html

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Speaking of Crappy Construction and Miami collapses, the engineering disaster podcast "Well there's your problem" just did an episode on a fancy pedestrian bridge that collapsed in Miami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8-ImMaRVNM

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Is that the same bridge that was mentioned some pages ago? The one with the unusually angry accident investigation report that recommended that the engineering firm educate their engineers in basic load calculations, and which illustrated the missing calculations on the back of an envelope?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I think it also had to do with misapplication of pretensioned concrete or something?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

AlternateAccount posted:

I think it also had to do with misapplication of pretensioned concrete or something?

IIRC, it was a combination of building from one side (the middle ends were meant to lean on each other, so with just one of them it added stress), and the joint that failed being massively under-strength for the load, simply because they didn't calculate it correctly. One of the bridge members started cracking as they released the pre-tension (because it was under way more load than it could handle), so they tried to tension it back up ... and that made it crack even worse and collapse.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
A surveillance camera caught the building in Miami coming down. https://youtu.be/KR29pLccutY

I wonder what happened. Sinkhole maybe?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kid sinister posted:

A surveillance camera caught the building in Miami coming down. https://youtu.be/KR29pLccutY

Holy poo poo the terror and confusion for anyone in that portion that stood up longer.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

kid sinister posted:

In SA forums style I’m talking out of my rear end, but it looks more like an 80s construction condo than a 60s construction condo. Since it was built in the 80s that means it was probably built over sinkhole prone land, because they built over all of the actual bed rock in the 60s

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

In SA forums style I’m talking out of my rear end, but it looks more like an 80s construction condo than a 60s construction condo. Since it was built in the 80s that means it was probably built over sinkhole prone land, because they built over all of the actual bed rock in the 60s

It was built in 1981. And has been known to be sinking since at least 1990.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/collapsed-miami-condo-had-been-sinking-into-earth-at-alarming-rate-since-1990s-researchers-say/ar-AALoUP0

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

So much crap in the 80's and 90's was flat out lying on reports, bribery, or the traditional "If we don't look at the report we can claim oopsydoodle later when we're retired."

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Of course the Miami condo building had a leaky pool.
Warnings that the leaks were threatening to rot away load bearing structures 'exponentially' as time went on since at least 3 years ago :smith:
e; sry this if from a crappy German news app, shouldn't be hard to find

Vim Fuego posted:

Speaking of Crappy Construction and Miami collapses, the engineering disaster podcast "Well there's your problem" just did an episode on a fancy pedestrian bridge that collapsed in Miami

I love donoteat1's solo effort videos, but his podcast channel is just unwatchable with all the cringey chatter

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 27, 2021

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That news from that Miami collapse just gets worse and worse. 159 people still missing. You know that 3 year old that was one of the first people rescued? They found his mother, dead. Since so many foreigners were living in that building, this has now become an international incident. Apparently the sister and brother in law of Paraguay's First Lady as well as their 3 kids are all still missing.

And now it looks like the poor condition of the building was known for years already. I'd expect this in some 3rd world country, not the US!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Florida is a 3rd world country.