Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Zerilan posted:

So TomBat's really going forward with a self-insert arc here? He's finally crawled so far up his own rear end that he's slithered back out of his mouth.

Tom's inferiority complex to other cleveland area comic artists (Watterson and Pekar) is always hilarious. This one is especially egregious showing how much he wishes he was ever as popular as Bill Watterson, since this is literally the story of Watterson going to one of the local bookstores and secretly signing books.

Except being a retired comic artist is lame haha right guys please love me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

The seagull's little diving helmet! :3:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Dolly's been taking lessons in crabbiness from Lucy.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

BABA is STABBED
:lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

I really like this one.

Apartment 3-G

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

I usually skip Phoebe but I’m glad I didn’t today

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

This is me, my daughter, and Airplane!

I'm still gonna get her to appreciate Mel Brooks someday though, dammit.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (April 30, 1994)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

As much as I hate this storyline, I have to appreciate this dude for going "Of course I'm gonna pay the kid for her work," instead of just stealing the story outright.

1. Cooper :ohdear:
2. You'll be the first against the wall, Stuart.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Man, gently caress you Bizarro for perpetuating British propaganda.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (April 30, 1994)

Powerful self-own

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "97 - Jucika's Own Car"

Fool! Jucija toots as she pleases!

toot

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Chad!

Sylvia

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Backwards hand mistake is uncharacteristic of this strip

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Backwards hand mistake is uncharacteristic of this strip

Maybe it's always been like that and we never noticed. Like Scotty from Star Trek's missing finger.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

MoominWinter

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Selachian posted:

This is me, my daughter, and Airplane!

On the bright side the last year of masking has revived the "I have a drinking problem" joke.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

:allears:

gently caress you, Stuart. :thermidor:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's slightly-sooner-than-usual Blueberry: Say what you will about the Confederacy, but at least they got the trains night-raids running on time, or Now, I've seen Die Hard, and I can say with confidence that supporting the weight of a person with a gun is a perfectly fine and reliable thing to do, or Rocks fall, everyone dies...?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Everything else aside, I'm getting really loving sick and tired of Sarah being portrayed as some sort of child savant who keeps on producing these heartbreaking works of staggering genius.

Nah, that just means they get to hit her with a bus this time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I just want to point something out here, the move from comics being at the corner drug store to being sold at direct market comics shops happened around four decades ago. It happened around the time I was born.

Also, anyone know who owns the copyright on Deathless Deer? Did it slip into the public domain? (1961 woulda been the date they had to reregister, under the old laws.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

This abruptly concludes The Medieval Castle. It's a strange little strip - I get the impression that Foster felt he couldn't commit to a detailed storyline since he didn't know how long it would last. I think the strip would have been stronger if it focused more clearly on the kids and maybe more of the "slice of life" stuff about what it would have been like to live in this era, although to do that accurately would perhaps have required more research than Foster was willing to do. As it is, the strip felt a little scattered to me. Arn and Guy's father never even got a name!

The ending was (very) abrupt but I quite liked it. On top of fantastic art, it really highlighted Foster's economy of storytelling.

Medenmath posted:

As I recall the rules at my own elementary school were to send a kid home if they weren't dressed "appropriately," but that never happened so I don't know what really would have been done in a situation like this. I also attended a Catholic school with a uniform which probably changes things!

My school was incredibly strict about that. I remember my dad being called from work because I wore blue jeans without a belt. He was so pissed they wasted his time that he tried to pull me out of the district.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Wu-Tang Secret

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also, anyone know who owns the copyright on Deathless Deer? Did it slip into the public domain? (1961 woulda been the date they had to reregister, under the old laws.)

Well, it was distributed by Joe Patterson's Chicago Tribune syndicate, so if anyone owns the rights to Deer, it's probably the modern Tribune Content Agency.

(By the way, if you do a Google image search for Deathless Deer, six of the top ten results are from this thread.)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Christ I've been there Art.

:allears:

:allears: :allears:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (July 12, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (August 19, 1918)

Gay and Her Gang (August 10, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (January 11, 1936)

Mopsy (March 12, 1937)

Up Front (April 24, 1944)

Dark Laughter (August 3, 1946)

https://carolinanewsandreporter.cic.sc.edu/isaac-woodard-a-forgotten-story-that-changed-history/

Those Were the Days (December 24, 1953)

Wee Pals (October 1, 1965)

Dogbert January 13, 1966

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (November 13, 1933)

Peanuts (June 27, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Featuring a guy whose business model is reselling antique comic books somehow being amazed by how much comic books used to cost.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 24, 1938)

Out Our Way (November 19-21, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (October 11-13, 1917)

Dok's "Great White North" Duck (August 29, 1913)

Little Lefty (December 20-22, 1934)

The Scottsboro Boys case is infamous enough that it should need no introduction, but just in case, here's one anyway.

The story about the teacher who was fired for feeding kids who couldn't pay was loosely based on a true story. Sylvia Ettinger, the young teacher who was fired for feeding hungry kids without the proper paperwork, sent a letter to the Daily Worker after Lefty told a version of her story.

America's first school lunch program was launched in 1853 by the Children's Aid Society of New York, and local, charity-supported, volunteer-run programs were the model that spread across the country. They were arguably good as far as they went, but the Great Depression made that model impossible to sustain (and if you read the background material, you can see how standards of what was for lunch could vary widely). The FDR administration, through various New Deal agencies, worked with the states to alleviate the burden, but it wasn't until the National School Lunch Act in 1946 that federal funding for school lunches was fully formalized.

Anyway, if you've got a quarter-hour to burn, here's a radio talk from 1931 which goes into the do-it-yourself approach to setting up a school lunch program, the model that was broken by the pressure of the Depression. As someone who spent most of his childhood on the free lunch program, I deeply appreciate those who fought the good fight for school lunches before I was born. :patriot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M84y3bDqCs

Blondie From Zero (October 16-18, 1930)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 25, 2021

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is ungrateful.

Working Daze might want to invest in a spell checker.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is the oldest one in the book.

Cul De Sac knows the essence of comedy is other people's suffering.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Johnny Aztec posted:

Man, gently caress you Bizarro for perpetuating British propaganda.

But Hitler had one ball, right?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I realize this means I'm a full weirdo, but I like my disinfectants to STING. If I don't feel it, I don't trust it's working.

Hey, you ever wonder why they still put alcohol in mouthwash? Hint: It ain't because mouthwash needs alcohol to be effective.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Same thing for the aftertaste of toothpaste.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: meet the new boss (February 11-17, 2002)

"Butterfly Ballot" is a reference to the butterfly ballots that gave W Bush the victory in Florida (he didn't actually win). The "pretzel incident" is a reference to that time W Bush nearly choked to death eating a pretzel.

Modern Kevin & Kell

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Fiona's dad is a lot of things, but he's right to be bitter and angry over everyone being racist toward him.

And I don't know why Kevin is trying to dunk on George in the other comic. George stopped mooching off his own daughter and wants to feel self-satisfaction over making money on his own terms. That's not testosterone poisoning, that's someone wanting to improve himself.

Mikl posted:

Modern Kevin & Kell

Come to think of it, didn't this story started with the leopard saying he got stuck in The Wild for months and was unable to hunt any food? This storyline is basically Holbrook bullying a starving, homeless man. Granted, the guy was planning to murder and eat some kids, but still.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (October 11, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (October 11, 1999)

Garfield Classic (October 11, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/24/01

(it is a Boston sports thing; it's pre-2004, so the Red Sox are still a synonym for futility.)

Brenda Starr 9/26-28/43

Smokey Stover 11/30/41

Richard's Poor Almanac

Deathless Deer 7/26-28/43

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like how much of a mom Janis is being right now. I'm sure Gene meant he and his family are swamped with orders and just need a little helping hand with Janis blowing it out of proportion. But Janis hears her baby wishing for help and she instantly wants to help him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown? Featuring another Des Fishman "cameo"

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website
My Author Unknown? Guide Password is TheOther

EasyEW posted:

Blondie From Zero (October 16-18, 1930)

Starting to see were Dagwood gets his legendary appetite from.