Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

On my ASRock mobo it was "AMD fTPM Switch" in my BIOS. Flipped it on and my system is now compatible with W11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

tpm.msc works but...

Welp. I'll have to check the bios sometime. Honestly I'm mostly cool with Win10 so I'll probably use it until EoL. Looks like I'll be planning on building a new rig in 2025. 8 years is pretty acceptable for a gaming/internet/misc desktop.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't see a TPM header on that board but the manual references BIOS settings related to TPM

Page 58 -> https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z270M-PLUS/E11993_PRIME_Z270M-PLUS_UM_WEB_only.pdf

So... does it have a TPM onboard but it's disabled by default? :thunk:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm guessing it just means it supports TPM 2.0 operation, but that it's not built-in and I'd need to buy a module/card or whatever.

I haven't even heard of TPM until today so :shrug:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I don't really want to buy a TPM module and plug it into my mobo so I guess I'll wait a while and see if they remove that requirement

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Did they say why it's going to require TPM 2.0? Only time I've ever seen it used by anything is bitlocker full disk encryption and you can do that now on Windows 10.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

How can I tell if my mobo supports TPM 2.0? It's an ASUS Prime Z270M-Plus. I built this rig April 2017 so it's either from late 2016 or early 2017. I have CPU-Z and HWiNFO64 on hand, if those will show me. Otherwise I'll have to check the bios or crack the case?

Your CPU has built in TPM, via the Intel Management Engine. You may need to turn on a setting in the bios to enable it.

If you have a PC that is less than 10 years old, you probably don't need a TPM module to use Windows 11. (8 years if it's an AMD system.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Platform_Security_Processor

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

CFox posted:

Did they say why it's going to require TPM 2.0? Only time I've ever seen it used by anything is bitlocker full disk encryption and you can do that now on Windows 10.

I don't think they have, but I hope it's for some sort of secure boot thing to prevent unknown changes to OS files. Providing better protection for people against getting their poo poo owned by random drive-by malware in ads or whatever would be a really good thing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
So will any TPM suffice? My dad's motherboard supports it according to the MSI website but I don't know if I need an Msi-specific module.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Your CPU has built in TPM, via the Intel Management Engine

TIL, i thought that was only a thing on the last few generation of intel chips

now i feel stupid for buying a hardware TPM module (i guess they might be slightly more secure than the firmware based TPM but i'm not that paranoid)

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

quote:

All you’ll need is a PC that meets the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 11, which is now a 64-bit CPU, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage.

I have all of the above and TPM 2.0 enabled but my older i5-7400 isn't compatible so :shrug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess I spotted it right in the stream.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nice find. I'm glad to see them add a bit more colour to the Settings screen. Windows Phone UI had a lot going for it but the 3 tone look wasn't one of them, which of course influenced a decade of MS UI.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Remove quick access buttons from title bar. Good idea. Nobody uses them. :airquote:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Yikes

Well, until Open Shell or SIB fixes this operating system yet again, that's a deal killer. Microsoft once again forgot that the OS has to actually *do something* instead of just be pretty for the lowest common denominator. But at least the design team really 'obsessed over every single pixel'. That will definitely make it functional...

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Microsoft once again forgot that the OS has to actually *do something* instead of just be pretty for the lowest common denominator. But at least the design team really 'obsessed over every single pixel'. That will definitely make it functional...

How many apps do you use at any time? The main ones are pinned to taskbar. The rest are launched by pressing START button and typing a few letters.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I made a Windows 11 thread. come yell at me about how much stuff I left out of the OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971625

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

UltraShame posted:

I have all of the above and TPM 2.0 enabled but my older i5-7400 isn't compatible so :shrug:

Welp that's my desktop CPU lol

e: my 2017 Surface Pro's CPU isn't on here either so I dunno..

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Check if you have disabled virtualization in uefi. Also that tool shows that my 21H1 is actually 2009 so...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

UltraShame posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

I have no idea why their list of supported CPUs is so short, but there is zero possibility that Win11 won't work on your system.

Probably something like "these are the systems in our testing farm, so that's what we're Officially Supporting™." And that's why there are more Xeon CPUs than normal consumer ones.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Klyith posted:

I have no idea why their list of supported CPUs is so short, but there is zero possibility that Win11 won't work on your system.

Probably something like "these are the systems in our testing farm, so that's what we're Officially Supporting™." And that's why there are more Xeon CPUs than normal consumer ones.

Yeah, after a coffee and a second glance that's what I'm thinking too.

e: yeah TPM is on for both so I guess that's what matters most.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 25, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e: nvm

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

MikusR posted:

How many apps do you use at any time? The main ones are pinned to taskbar. The rest are launched by pressing START button and typing a few letters.

offer not valid when windows search just sits there eating paste instead of returning installed apps that contain the text string I have given it as input (and also a lot of windows users are olds who don't know those options exist)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Javid posted:

offer not valid when windows search just sits there eating paste instead of returning installed apps that contain the text string I have given it as input (and also a lot of windows users are olds who don't know those options exist)

This remains one of those big windows usability divides, I hadn't realized how many people still used folders/etc for their apps until I made the mistake of mentioning it a few pages back and got yelled at for being so flippant about it (which, totally fair.) For me, I've never really run into a problem that I couldn't fix by just typing more letters in the app name, but apparently I'm not having the same experience as everyone.

Hopefully the new start menu search will be better and not have so much other BS involved with it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Javid posted:

and also a lot of windows users are olds who don't know those options exist
I think by this point everyone in this thread at least knows that option exist.
Personally, I get that the ~optimal~ way of doing things is hitting the windows key and typing. And I do use that sometimes. But generally I just use the mouse and I have the programs I use most often pinned to the start menu. It's a way of doing things that works for me. :shrug:

I sort of feel like a PC player yelling about how consoles have ruined games when I say this, but I feel touchscreens have ruined the Win11 interface. I guess I'll have to wait and see how much customization there will be and if I can tweak it into something I like using.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

TIL, i thought that was only a thing on the last few generation of intel chips

now i feel stupid for buying a hardware TPM module (i guess they might be slightly more secure than the firmware based TPM but i'm not that paranoid)

To help anyone else with an ASUS motherboard (I just did it on a Z270G), the option to enable TPM via the processor is under Advanced -> PCH-FW Configuration -> PTT Configuration. Mine was set to dTPM by default, but changing it to PTT enabled TPM 2.0.

This is with a 7700k, but it sounds like processor-based TPM has been a thing for a while.

Edit: If Windows says the TPM firmware needs to be updated, updating the Intel management engine firmware will do that.

Fats fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 25, 2021

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

A shitload dude. Behold, my stuff:

Yes, if you have a setup that is equally functional on a tablet or even a phone, then I guess the new Start Menu is fine. But I don't need a phone. I need a computer. Preferably one that does things better than a phone. Even if Start Search wasn't busy being lovely more than half the time, the reality is that a lot of common search results will bring up duplicate results, which may or may not be distinguishable in the search box.

This is super fixable. Just give me the option to revert back to a Start Menu that wasn't built for babby. MS can totally have their 'simple, beautiful, elegant, pixel-ful' UX as long as I can have my UX that actually does things.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Yes, if you have a setup that is equally functional on a tablet or even a phone, then I guess the new Start Menu is fine. But I don't need a phone. I need a computer. Preferably one that does things better than a phone. Even if Start Search wasn't busy being lovely more than half the time, the reality is that a lot of common search results will bring up duplicate results, which may or may not be distinguishable in the search box.

This is super fixable. Just give me the option to revert back to a Start Menu that wasn't built for babby. MS can totally have their 'simple, beautiful, elegant, pixel-ful' UX as long as I can have my UX that actually does things.

Delete Starcraft. Boom, your main problem is solved.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
My Start Menu's index was totally hosed up after a BSOD so I can see not liking it becoming basically 'search only'

I'm the seven different versions of WoW

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

You are already using an alternative start menu, continue doing that.
And what does pressing hardware windows button and typing letters on hardware keyboard followed by pressing hardware enter has to do with touch/tablets or phones?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

You are already using an alternative start menu, continue doing that.
And what does pressing hardware windows button and typing letters on hardware keyboard followed by pressing hardware enter has to do with touch/tablets or phones?

Overriding the Start Menu is predicated on certain developer features existing inside the OS. They exist in Windows 10. They might not exist in Windows 11 because Windows 11 has structurally changed the Start Menu behind the scenes. 'Search' is not reliable or even consistent and therefore is a non-option. This has everything to do with touch interfaces because the OS is now being built primarily to target touch devices without any traditional fallback.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

I’m the beta versions still installed alongside the releases… plus vs2013 for real? Cmon man, all the .net frameworks supported by that IDE are EOL

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

namlosh posted:

I’m the beta versions still installed alongside the releases… plus vs2013 for real? Cmon man, all the .net frameworks supported by that IDE are EOL

There are times when I don't get to pick the development environment and just kinda have to deal.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Overriding the Start Menu is predicated on certain developer features existing inside the OS. They exist in Windows 10. They might not exist in Windows 11 because Windows 11 has structurally changed the Start Menu behind the scenes.

It's a floating button with a menu.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

This is super fixable.

I think your problems go beyond the Start Menu TBH

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm blend for visual studio 2019 (2)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Klyith posted:

Short, and definitely incomplete/wrong. It lists AMD Zen+ as compatible but not Zen, and I don't think there's any instruction set difference between them. I think they just made an arbitrary age cutoff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
That photo is a great illustration of why Start Menu folders are good, because it is someone who is not using folders. If they were using folders, 90% of that entire mess could be collapsed down into category folders like "Hardware" or "Dev environments".

All you folks making fun of them, you realize that is what your future looks like? A giant list of everything you have installed, with no way to put the rarely used apps in folders that get them out of the way.

FuturePastNow posted:

Short, and definitely incomplete/wrong. It lists AMD Zen+ as compatible but not Zen, and I don't think there's any instruction set difference between them. I think they just made an arbitrary age cutoff.

In a different thread someone said it was the support list for OEMs be 11 certified, which is why it's all current CPUs. Which makes a ton of sense.

So that's just the CPUs that will come with the 11 sticker.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

So TPM and Secure Boot are disabled by default in my BIOS.

Totally things I will remember to turn back on after flashing a new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

That photo is a great illustration of why Start Menu folders are good, because it is someone who is not using folders. If they were using folders, 90% of that entire mess could be collapsed down into category folders like "Hardware" or "Dev environments".

All you folks making fun of them, you realize that is what your future looks like? A giant list of everything you have installed, with no way to put the rarely used apps in folders that get them out of the way.

I'm not making fun of him but like, I haven't actually browsed my start menu in maybe two years. I go to launch Visual Studio and I just like, type 'Visual' and this pops up almost immediately:

My start menu is just a long pile of installed stuff because it's basically the last resort for me trying to find something.