Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

You guys, you’re ruining International Census Day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

I think it's mostly distance. For instance, if I were telling people in Connecticut where I live, I would say the exact town. If I were talking to somebody elsewhere in New England, I would say I live near Hartford.

For somebody, say, on the west coast, I would tell them I live in Connecticut, or just say "the northeast."

If I were asked by someone outside the country, it gets trickier. A lot of folks around the world know where the major cities are, like Boston, New York, Los Angeles, etc. but they don't always have a good idea of individual states. When telling folks abroad where I'm from I might say "near New York," or "northeastern United States," or I might just say I'm from the US and only elaborate if they ask me where.

Yeah that’s super reasonable and rational.
But let’s flip that over into bizarro world where people print t-shirts to passive-aggressively attack people who supposedly make a wrong claim about where they live.

Who are these people making these accusations (and t-shirts)?
How do they determine right from wrong?
Why?

This is like a fresh untapped vein of madness to explore

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Regarding Dino chat: I remember in the early 90s, in primary school, an educational song about the different ways people thought the dinosaurs died. I've actually tried to find it a few times, with no luck. I can still remember some of the lyrics:

Chorus:
What killed the dinosaurs?
Does anybody know?
They were here for such a time
Oh where, oh where'd they go?
I didn't see them vanish
I didn't see them flee
What killed the dinosaurs?
Won't you please tell meeeee

Verse:
Some say it was because
A comet passed close by
Raining harmful radiation
Down from the sky.
Was it really so?
Oh where, oh where'd they go?

*kazoo solo that I can still remember somehow*

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Boba Pearl posted:

I want to create an image file, and then have 3 copies of it made with variations on the name. So if I put "HomeGroanBoba.png" I'd like for it to automatically copy and make "HomeGroanBoba1.png" and "HomeGroanBoba2.png" originally I tried to do this in the image program, but it just makes you go through all the settings and re-save it over and over under the different names. Is there a program that copies / automatically changes titles based on parameters I passed to it?

Both imagemagick and irfanview can process images through the command line. You could save your images to a folder, then have a batch file that calls either program to process the contents of that folder.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Boba Pearl posted:

I want to create an image file, and then have 3 copies of it made with variations on the name. So if I put "HomeGroanBoba.png" I'd like for it to automatically copy and make "HomeGroanBoba1.png" and "HomeGroanBoba2.png" originally I tried to do this in the image program, but it just makes you go through all the settings and re-save it over and over under the different names. Is there a program that copies / automatically changes titles based on parameters I passed to it?

If all you want to do is save multiples files as the same file with multiple names with regular suffixes you could just do this in bash afterwards in one big batch

code:
for i in HomeGroanBoba hello 1man1jar; do 
for j in suffix1 suffix2 suffix3; do
cp ${i}.jpg ${i}${j}.jpg
done;done

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Regarding Dino chat: I remember in the early 90s, in primary school, an educational song about the different ways people thought the dinosaurs died. I've actually tried to find it a few times, with no luck. I can still remember some of the lyrics:

I asked in the identify a song thread here:

CrazySalamander posted:

Someone asked this in the small questions thread

We'll see if anyone IDs it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fruits of the sea posted:

I remember reading an article that pointed out that genetic evolution also happens at a faster pace than we think- there are small mutations happening every generation but since many of them don’t make a meaningful difference in terms of procreation, they get averaged out once one zooms out.

This combined with sudden new external pressures making new genetic combinations more viable could have resulted in faster evolution. It’s plausible that some of the species that survived the initial impact and climate change could have evolved significantly on a scale of hundreds of thousands of years or even tens of thousands instead of the millions of years we normally assume. Evolution taking place in (relatively) short bursts catalyzed by external stimuli could also go some way towards explaining why there are often weird missing links in the fossil record.

This is all based on stuff I read a couple years ago so feel free to correct me!

You're right in that evolution can happen much faster than people think, but the idea of these animals evolving into forms that have completely different, unrecognizable skeletons in such a short amount of time is not really possible.

Even so, selection can generally only work with what already exists. Things that may look completely different would still have homologues in their anatomy that could be traced to their ancestors. It's one of the ways we know one group of dinosaurs (birds) survived the extinction event.

The thing about non-avian dinosaur fossils is that they are very abundant until you hit a specific and unique stratum in the earth known as the KT boundary, then they completely vanish. It's the kind of thing that can only be caused by a sudden catastrophic event and (as someone already explained) the chemical and physical properties of the KT boundary point strongly towards a huge celestial impact.

It was very evident, yet there didn't seem to be any known crater associated with it. That doesn't necessarily mean it was contested, because the evidence was already pretty strong. It just means they hadn't found the smoking gun. It wasn't until scientists had more advanced geological surveying tech that they found the crater and elevated it to "water is wet" levels of established science.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 25, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Does anyone know what this electronic part is called and where I can buy another one?

This came with my microphone. It's got a normal 3.5mm headphone jack on one end, the same 3.5mm plug on the other, with an on/off switch in between so I can physically mute/disconnect the mic.
This one has some kind of loose electronic connection and makes the sound all lovely and staticky so I want a new one.
If I look online for like "3.5mm inline switch" I can find really similar parts for power cables for like 5 bucks but I can't find any for audio cables. On the other hand I can find inline volume controls with wheels and stuff which probably work great for headphones but are no good for quickly turning a mic on and off.

The only one I could find was this on amazon but it's out of stock and no longer for sale.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Does anyone know what this electronic part is called and where I can buy another one?

This came with my microphone. It's got a normal 3.5mm headphone jack on one end, the same 3.5mm plug on the other, with an on/off switch in between so I can physically mute/disconnect the mic.
This one has some kind of loose electronic connection and makes the sound all lovely and staticky so I want a new one.
If I look online for like "3.5mm inline switch" I can find really similar parts for power cables for like 5 bucks but I can't find any for audio cables. On the other hand I can find inline volume controls with wheels and stuff which probably work great for headphones but are no good for quickly turning a mic on and off.

The only one I could find was this on amazon but it's out of stock and no longer for sale.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224376520923

Just googled "Microphone Muting Adapter"

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is there a thread for advice on a career in biological research? If it helps to be more specific, the field is microbiology/ cell biology.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DildenAnders posted:

Is there a thread for advice on a career in biological research? If it helps to be more specific, the field is microbiology/ cell biology.

Here might be a good place to ask:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368821

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Such Fun posted:

I think the discussion about why people get heated up like this about who is and who isn’t from some place is more interesting than determining if you are legitimately from Chicago.
Like, how fine is the resolution? Neighborhoods, blocks, streets?
How is the distinction made?
Who arbitrates this, and why?

ive lived in a few different parts of the US and it varies quite a lot. lots of new yorkers get super pissy if you live in suburbs outside of the city and say you are from new york, but if you are from a pittsburgh suburb and say you are from pittsburgh no one really cares except the most pedantic types. maybe part of this is exaggerated by the fact that many of nyc's suburbs are in different states and there is some animosity between them

I currently live in LA which is a city within a county of the same name. there are many cities that are culturally considered, at least to some degree, to be "in LA" that are legally independent towns, and if you look at the borders of what is officially part of LA the city it's a bizarre shape that doesnt really make geographic sense so people are a bit more carefree about what living "in LA" means exactly

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

People in the Boston area really care about what's Boston and what's not. It's much stronger here than anywhere else I've been.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There are also complex political struggles between people who live in city limits, and people who live outside of the city but come into it every day. In that context I think it's worthwhile to distinguish someone from inside a city vs from the area.

Not to mention some cases where living in the city is considered a badge of honor of sorts, for example, if you feel you had a hard life growing up on the mean streets of Big City, you might resent someone from a pleasant suburb nearby trying to (from your perspective) claim that honor for themselves too.

e: to be clear though I'm saying it's all contextually based. I think if you are far away and telling someone where you're from, it's reasonable to just say the city name. I think more ideal would be "I'm from the [Big City] area" but if you get lazy and leave off the "area" part, I am not gonna judge.

Also making a snarky t-shirt about it is definitely lovely and dumb.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 26, 2021

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The people I've seen care the most tend to feel that the people from the suburbs look down on the city in their day to day life and left due to taxes or people of color being present, but then want to claim the cultural cachet of that city when it benefits them.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Carillon posted:

The people I've seen care the most tend to feel that the people from the suburbs look down on the city in their day to day life and left due to taxes or people of color being present, but then want to claim the cultural cachet of that city when it benefits them.

Yeah, well put, and it's also an important piece of context that the person who asked this (a european, I think) might not be aware of. The latter half of the 20th century was full of "white flight" from many cities in the US.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Okay math nerds, please help me out with a financial dispute with my wife.

We both have personal bank accounts and a single joint account where we deposit 80% of our income every pay day, which is roughly the same amount.

She paid for a bunch of fancy cookies on the joint account, and wants to give a quarter of them to her friend. I offered to pay for the ones that aren't going to her friend. The total was $40. She's going to deposit $10 into the joint account to cover her friend. Would I deposit $30 into the joint account even though the original purchase is 50% my money, which means I already paid $20 (50%)? Or would I pay $10 to cover the $30?

I'm admittedly terrible at math but she seems to see the joint account as somehow no one's money and doesn't count.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

We both have personal bank accounts and a single joint account where we deposit 80% of our income every pay day, which is roughly the same amount.

She paid for a bunch of fancy cookies on the joint account, and wants to give a quarter of them to her friend. I offered to pay for the ones that aren't going to her friend. The total was $40. She's going to deposit $10 into the joint account to cover her friend. Would I deposit $30 into the joint account even though the original purchase is 50% my money, which means I already paid $20 (50%)? Or would I pay $10 to cover the $30?

I'm admittedly terrible at math but she seems to see the joint account as somehow no one's money and doesn't count.

You don’t have a math problem here buddy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Well yes the main problem is we spent a shitload on cookies. But please tell me I'm a dumbass re: repayment if so.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Permabanned poster Lowtax account spotted.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You don’t have a math problem here buddy.

:emptyquote:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Also re: the suburb debate, my home town of Vancouver is extra hosed up because each of the 26ish suburbs is actually its own city. Like I lived 5km from downtown Vancouver but was technically in the City of North Vancouver, which has its own mayor, and is different from the District of North Vancouver, which has its own mayor, and next to the District of West Vancouver, which has its own mayor, not to be confused with Vancouver west, which is inside the City of Vancouver, along with south and east Vancouver. They are not separate cities, even though the City North Vancouver is closer to downtown.

There are definitely some city of Vancouver snobs and it affects housing prices, even though the technical city limits of Vancouver are only like 15 mins from downtown in every direction.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jesus Christ can I get a serious reply or no

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
No one wants to give you a serious reply because it's not a math issue, it's a relationship/viewpoint issue.

No one can give you the numerical value that should be deposited because given the information you've provided, you and your wife have different and non-compatible ideas of what the "joint account" means and you should start by having a frank discussion with her to clear that up first.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jesus Christ can I get a serious reply or no

You got a dead serious reply bub.

Sorry to have to inform you that your relationship is a shamble of transactional bullshit, but if you had to ask this question here it's likely been going on for a long time.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
If the police catch you, simply claim she stepped on your foot.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
If it's a joint account didn't you both already put the money in for the cookies?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
The true problem is that you shouldn't quibble over pennies, for a healthy relationship. It doesn't matter who's right what matters is if everyone is happy with the outcome.

Bad Math ahead:

She should put in $25 because she effectively is buying cookies for her friend ($10) + splitting $30/2 ($15) worth of cookies with you, so you put in $15.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

^Im offering to pay for 100% of the cookies she and I are sharing though.

As for you other weirdos, it was an innocent math question to a completely unserious issue. If I had to pay $100 I don't care. We're not mad at each other.

Healthy relationships can debate these sort of things and we've been going strong since 2003.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Healthy relationships can debate these sort of things

The fact that something so amazingly trivial is a "debate" is an interesting take on what is healthy.

You've been in the relationship for nearly a couple of decades and keep score of pennies. Good job.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Motronic posted:

The fact that something so amazingly trivial is a "debate" is an interesting take on what is healthy.

You've been in the relationship for nearly a couple of decades and keep score of pennies. Good job.

You are an extremely weird and presumptuous person, or a bad troll.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You are an extremely weird and presumptuous person, or a bad troll.

I'm not presuming anything. I'm reading what you've posted.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not a math problem. With joint accounts, the right way to manage the money is the way the people involved agree on. As long as you don't have major disagreements, however you choose to manage it is fine.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Has anyone gotten their teeth professionally whitened by a dentist? How did it go? Did it whiten them a lot and did they stay white? How much did it hurt?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm willing to believe the cookie poster and their spouse just have a light hearted academic debate about how the math would work out if they were going to be persnickety about it

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Edit, not helpful

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 26, 2021

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

She's going to deposit $10 into the joint account to cover her friend. Would I deposit $30 into the joint account even though the original purchase is 50% my money, which means I already paid $20 (50%)? Or would I pay $10 to cover the $30?
If the joint account is always considered a 50-50 mixture of each of your money, then the $40 spent on cookies was $20 your money and $20 her money, so you could pay $10 from your personal account to her directly to make it the 75%-25% split for the cookies that you want.

If you prefer to increase the joint account, you could just act as-if the cookies haven't yet been paid for and you put in $30 and she puts in $10 to the joint account.

Also, the Science, Academics, and Languages subforum (SAL) of Ask/Tell has a dedicated math question thread.

dirby fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 26, 2021

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Quick maths question. I have a 100ml solution, and in the solution there is 1g (1000mg) of a solute. If I'm giving 0.01ml of this solution:

100ml = 1000mg
1ml = 10mg
0.01ml = 0.1mg

That's right, isn't it?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Qubee posted:

Quick maths question. I have a 100ml solution, and in the solution there is 1g (1000mg) of a solute. If I'm giving 0.01ml of this solution:

100ml = 1000mg
1ml = 10mg
0.01ml = 0.1mg

That's right, isn't it?

Yes. It's one ten-thousandth of the solution, and one ten-thousandth of 1000mg is .1mg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do TV meteorologists get the same meteorology degree as like, people who work for NOAA? Are they separate programs?