Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

Stores with ambiguous as poo poo or just fake opening/closing hours.
USPS is having a severe shortage of workers in my area right now. Head to the local P.O. when it opens at 8:30; it's closed with a sign saying "Come back in two hours." From when? Go back at 11 and it's closed for lunch (which is not a thing that happens at post offices). Go back later and it's closed AGAIN, so you give up and drive to the next town over. This is in a bustling suburb, not a rural backwater.

And this is in addition to the poo poo weekend help working the delivery routes. It's a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Those tops that are on condiment bottles where you have to squeeze really hard to get it to start coming out but then you end up with a big circle of ketchup on one part of your hotdog instead of a evenly distributed line.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The fact that Verizon has added a step to their tech support script where they make you share your phone's camera with them so they can "look at" your router setup. Seems pretty simple right? It would be if it weren't the dumbest app ever. You can't talk to them, you can't see what they type, the only way to communicate is them drawing letters on the screen, which in practice meant them drawing x's randomly over and over, erasing it, then doing it again. At least describe what you want me to show you before you tell me to click the link.

It's also incredibly annoying because apparently they aren't allowed to skip it. They set up a tech visit on the first call and got me to set up some maintenance plan so i'd only have to pay 15 dollars instead of 99 for them to come out. A couple hours after that, I got an email saying the tech visit was canceled because it was part of a wider outage, so I got back on with them to ask them to remove that plan since i don't need it anymore. Billing support said they can't do it, talk to tech support. I talked to tech support, they just kept saying "I understand" but kept going back to "please show us the router sir" as I tried to explain their people are already fixing it. Eventually after my refusals (because I had done this like 4 times by this point) they contacted a supervisor, who told them tech support can't remove the plan, billing has to. So I called billing back and they started saying "are you sure it is safe to remove this? Since the tech put it on the tech should make the decision" until I started copy pasting the logs at them saying they can't and they finally did it.

also the fake buttering up bugs me too - no, I'm pretty sure I was not "one of the most pleasant customers i've ever interacted with" considering I was frustrated and kept trying to make you go off-script.. I'll give you the 5 stars if you just fix my problem, you don't have to blow smoke up my rear end.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Noncommital to the point of uselessness replies / only answering part of a question, etc. ( and also Boomer 'ending sentences in ...')

I ask a landlord if day x or y work for a viewing, and when works.
They go.. Day X works, it'd be nice if it was before NN:NN....
And so I have to repeat the exact same question, again, because they didn't actually answer it and specify a time. (Just that 'it's fine if it is before 1500...')

I just want a ballpark time when is good for you! I don't want to start a guessing game of 'is 13 ok? is 14 ok?'.
Why even bother answering my question if you're only going to answer half of it. It's not that hard to just go 'yeah day X works, is 1200 fine with you?'. And presto! We're on the same page and I don't need to repeat my question.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

SubNat posted:

Noncommital to the point of uselessness replies / only answering part of a question, etc. ( and also Boomer 'ending sentences in ...')

I ask a landlord if day x or y work for a viewing, and when works.
They go.. Day X works, it'd be nice if it was before NN:NN....
And so I have to repeat the exact same question, again, because they didn't actually answer it and specify a time. (Just that 'it's fine if it is before 1500...')

I just want a ballpark time when is good for you! I don't want to start a guessing game of 'is 13 ok? is 14 ok?'.
Why even bother answering my question if you're only going to answer half of it. It's not that hard to just go 'yeah day X works, is 1200 fine with you?'. And presto! We're on the same page and I don't need to repeat my question.

They're probably annoyed at you for making them nail down a time. They said anytime before 1500 and they're waiting for you to say exactly what time you want to be there. I mean yeah they could just hand you a time and make it easier but they're trying to give you the lead.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The term "slide deck". It's just a powerpoint presentation.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The term "slide deck". It's just a powerpoint presentation.
Yeah, but "powerpoint" is trademarked or copyrighted or whatever.

Would you like an adhesive strip for your minor injury?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Just call it a slideshow, then. Iirc that's even what Powerpoint calls it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FFT posted:

Yeah, but "powerpoint" is trademarked or copyrighted or whatever.

Would you like an adhesive strip for your minor injury?

If you've got an issue, here's a Kleenex

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

fizzymercury posted:

They're probably annoyed at you for making them nail down a time. They said anytime before 1500 and they're waiting for you to say exactly what time you want to be there. I mean yeah they could just hand you a time and make it easier but they're trying to give you the lead.

Sure, but as you say, they could just give me a time and we could go from there. I already provided a window of a couple days, and mentioned that I could come whenever on them (with the exception of one.) If they had given me -any- time that isn't too early in the morning, I'd ok it.
Also they take 2-3 days to reply to messages, which adds to the annoyance of having to ask multiple times just to get a time locked in. It taking nearly a week to hammer down a time that other people did in minutes just makes me want to not rent anything from this dude even if the apartment seems decent.
When I already mentioned a couple days to them I expected them to offer up a time that works on those days, or say no if it's not a good fit. Them just going 'yeah day x is fine' just means I have to do the lap again, asking basically the exact same question.

If you don't know when you'll have time, that's fine! Just be upfront about it and say you can give me a time when it's closer! Other landlords have done that, it's not a problem. (I'll be in that city next week, but I can completely understand someone not knowing exactly when fits 1-2 weeks ahead. Just be upfront about it.)
Don't just have me ask the same thing, again, in different words. Most of the landlords I've contacted are more sensible and generally nail down a viewing slot pretty quick. Sometimes within an hour or two of the listing going live even.

re: the slide deck chat
It ain't a slide deck/slideshow unless it goes ktchk, kachunk every time you swap slides. With some optional slide rattling.
(And maybe some of them getting stuck)

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

SubNat posted:

Sure, but as you say, they could just give me a time and we could go from there. I already provided a window of a couple days, and mentioned that I could come whenever on them (with the exception of one.) If they had given me -any- time that isn't too early in the morning, I'd ok it.
Also they take 2-3 days to reply to messages, which adds to the annoyance of having to ask multiple times just to get a time locked in. It taking nearly a week to hammer down a time that other people did in minutes just makes me want to not rent anything from this dude even if the apartment seems decent.
When I already mentioned a couple days to them I expected them to offer up a time that works on those days, or say no if it's not a good fit. Them just going 'yeah day x is fine' just means I have to do the lap again, asking basically the exact same question.

If you don't know when you'll have time, that's fine! Just be upfront about it and say you can give me a time when it's closer! Other landlords have done that, it's not a problem. (I'll be in that city next week, but I can completely understand someone not knowing exactly when fits 1-2 weeks ahead. Just be upfront about it.)
Don't just have me ask the same thing, again, in different words. Most of the landlords I've contacted are more sensible and generally nail down a viewing slot pretty quick. Sometimes within an hour or two of the listing going live even.

Sweet Jesus yeah they're just being passive for no reason. I don't think they need your money that badly. If he's that annoying when he's trying to rent you something just imagine what they'll be like when you're giving them money to be that wishy washy.

I'm having the same problem with job interviews is the only reason I said anything. I have a guy that won't answer emails for days and then it's "Can you be here in 15 minutes ready to do a full tasting?". Why are people like this?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

fizzymercury posted:

I have a guy that won't answer emails for days and then it's "Can you be here in 15 minutes ready to do a full tasting?". Why are people like this?

" Tomorrow's problems are for tomorrow-me, lol!!! "
Some people just seem to be airheads incapable of committing to, or planning for anything honestly. Taking life as it comes, etc.

Asking someone 15 min ahead just feels like them wanting to pass on a 'oh yeah, fizzymercury declined.', I can't see how someone could genuinely expect you to show up somewhere 15 min later unless they knew you lived close by and you were notified ahead of time that you'd suddenly get an email/on standby.

... Full tasting?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
What is the deal with some people being super adverse to seeing feet? Is this a regional thing?

In public, no matter where you are, I get that it's weird. But I live next to a family that just moved from Texas to where I am in the Midwest and every time I do yardwork in sandals they act like I just whipped my dick out in front of their children. Screaming at me to put on shoes. What? I've seen this happen online tons of times too.

Edit: no, I don't have weird toes or weird nails.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Jun 25, 2021

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

What is the deal with some people being super adverse to seeing feet? Is this a regional thing?

In public, no matter where you are, I get that it's weird. But I live next to a family that just moved from Texas to where I am in the Midwest and every time I do yardwork in sandals they act like I just whipped my dick out in front of their children. Screaming at me to put on shoes. What?

They're either crazy or they're trying to warn you about the toxic chemicals people use to grow their lawns.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dip Viscous posted:

In public, no matter where you are, I get that it's weird. But I live next to a family that just moved from Texas to where I am in the Midwest and every time I do yardwork in sandals they act like I just whipped my dick out in front of their children. Screaming at me to put on shoes. What? I've seen this happen online tons of times too.

Edit: no, I don't have weird toes or weird nails.

It's because feet are gross

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killingyouguy! posted:

It's because feet are gross

But it feels good to not have my feet wrapped up in garbage like shoes and/or socks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When people say "wi-fi" but mean "internet".

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

“The WiFi is down”
“No it isn’t. I’m connected right now”
“Yeah but tik Tok doesn’t work”
“That’s because our internet connection is down”

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Feet are disgusting and base and the less of them you can have the better.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Toe tally

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

9, sadly. I disagree that having less is more.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I have five (5)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I have √(5 !) toes.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I wash my feet in the shower. It's fine.

I just don't get the people that are 50 meters away and act like I'm insane.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Some people have nothing better to do than pay too much attention to other people's clothing/shoe/etc choices & freak out at anything they think is 'weird'. Weird in quotes because there's a solid chance they're freaking out about something perfectly normal and common, they just call it weird because they don't like it.

Condolences about your new busybody neighbors.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As Texans they're just concerned you aren't wearing cowboy boots

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
"Only Americans don't use the metric system."

Everyone has been taught the metric system at school since like 1960. Every measurement I''ve ever taken at any job has been metric. Our temperatures are in Farienheit instead of Celsius and that poo poo is insane but everything else is normal and I don't get where the made up weirdness is coming from.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mlnhd posted:

“The WiFi is down”
“No it isn’t. I’m connected right now”
“Yeah but tik Tok doesn’t work”
“That’s because our internet connection is down”

I worked at a place with a tremendously lovely router and a also tremendously lovely server/firewall combo that routed all the internet because they didn’t trunk it off. I did their IT for small poo poo and people would call me and tell me the internet/wifi was down and I’d spend like ten minutes trying to troubleshoot it only for them to say some little thing that made me realize I was working on the wrong one.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Dip Viscous posted:

Everyone has been taught the metric system at school since like 1960. Every measurement I''ve ever taken at any job has been metric. Our temperatures are in Farienheit instead of Celsius and that poo poo is insane but everything else is normal and I don't get where the made up weirdness is coming from.

The architectural office I used to work at had some interns bemoaning that some other offices they were collaborating with, an american architectural firm and a construction firm demanded to get, and had all their files in imperial.
It's a fairly standard process since you can just flip the units fairly easy in modern software and just have 2 sets of printouts/documents, but it adds an annoying overhead and an extra chance for issues. (Said companies ended up getting booted off the project, too.)

it's not like people dunking on americans for using imperial comes from nowhere, though I'd love to know how much of the US has started making the switch in any official capacity.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Using imperial post the 19th century is like still using the Julian Calander and trying to cure diabetes diseases with bloodletting.

That said miles are more poetic than the logical and soulless kilometer. Can you imagine if it was:
And I would walk 804.67 kilometers
And I would walk 804.67 more
Just to be the man who walked 1609 kilometers to fall down at yer door

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I work in a medical lab and everything is metric. The fun part is that which metric units we use are still different for some tests than they are in not-America. You'd think that of all things would be standardized worldwide, but noooo. Sometimes it's just a matter of g/L vs mg/dL or whatever, sometimes it's something like mg/dL vs mmol/L(looking at you, glucose).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I have to use the julian calendar at work.

but yeah metric is used in pretty much every science field now. I did work with some guy that insisted on using imperial units in his papers though just to be obnoxious and rile up the reviewers (he was australian though not american)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dip Viscous posted:

I had to learn imperial stuff at uni because America's dominance of the aerospace means that imperial units are still frequently used in the industry.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Australians are just southern hemisphere Americans.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Let me know when all these metric countries land on the moon

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dip Viscous posted:

Recipes; distances; speeds. Just about any everyday measurement. I don't know what your job is, but your experience doesn't seem to be typical.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Trying to measure flour by volume is hosed up too, I guess. Still, 90% of the measurements and fasteners I encounter on a daily basis are metric.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"1 cup brown sugar, tightly packed"

Hmm, better get out the pneumatic press for this one

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My favourite is old timey recipes that just tell you to get "one can" of something. Especially if they name a specific brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My favourite is old timey recipes that just tell you to get "one can" of something. Especially if they name a specific brand.
God I love stuff like this. My Mema left me a beautiful handwritten recipe book full of worthless measurements like one can, half palmful, three scoops, two zips, kind of a spoonful but less than that, and tiny little shake. She was completely math illiterate just like I am and somehow those measurements all make perfect sense to me.

When in doubt just add 3/4 of what you think you need and work up with old recipes. And add extra pepper. They were afraid of pepper until 1985.

I have to work for imperial measurements but metric makes sense to me despite the dyscalculia and that alone should convince Americans to catch up.