Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Exodus1984 posted:

Not trying to do an erasure or anything, but those experiments were almost 80 years ago. "People have memories." Those people are dead.

it lasted until the 1970s, and wasn't the only experiment done on Black or non-white people. there was also stuff like the Holmesburg Prison experiments.

edit: saw the previous post. for a lot of people who haven't gotten the vaccine yet, they're concerned that the side effects will lead them to miss work for at least a day. so guaranteed days off for the vaccine is way to boast rates for working people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Willa Rogers posted:

lol I just read in uspol that dems can trust feinstein to vote the right way bc her staff will tell her what to do.

:thunk:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

from the same people that worship The Manchin Cycle™

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
we just need to wait until every senator is senile as feinstein and then become their staffers. get universal healthcare EASY

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is it though? Have they been? Speaking as a bipolar goon, whose opinions are entirely their own, I thought “$WHACKD” was a catchphrase that McAfee made up to sell himself to Q people and cryptocurrency sovcits, something he got tattoo’d on his arm to show how he’d “never ever commit suicide” and so his fans would “ask the real questions”.

I thought it had very little to do with his mood disorder and everything to do with telling people that powerful interests were gunning for him for being such a genius badass and maverick crypto disruptor.

And also, as far as I’ve seen, the only people drawing connections to his bipolar disorder or any sort of mental illness have been the ones finger-wagging about it, and literally nobody else. Nobody’s said “lol bipolar weirdo offed himself” or implied it, or anything remotely of the sort.

It’s not “whacked” as in merely “whacked out”, it’s whacked as in “oh you think I’m whacked? I’ll show you who’s whacked. Yeah, I’m whacked—I’m whacked on life, on crypto, on sex, on free thinking. You wanna see something whacked, go look at Q. That’s $WACKD. The elites are coming for me. You wanna see whacked? If I wind up dead, it’s because I’ve literally been whacked. Follow the money. Hillary and Bill Gates and Biden had me whacked. $WHACKD.”

It may be driven or sparked by mania (or “bipolar brain” or whatever, directly or indirectly) but it’s still just part of the same perpetual grift and constant self promotion act that he maintained for five decades- first as a drug hobbyist/runner (depending on which story you hear), then later when he got rich selling what has always essentially been bloatware, then when he became a naturopathy and yoga lifestyle guru and wannabe cult leader/light aircraft entrepreneur, and finally as a bath salts enthusiast/producer and later crypto pusher. The QAnon poo poo isn’t dramatically any different from when he’d surround himself with New Agers looking for an alternative to the mainstream.

He’s a loving lifelong conman, a seriously talented and successful one, and $WHACKD was his latest and last angle. It wasn’t a cry for help, it was him building his brand. If he hadn’t been arrested and set for extradition he probably would’ve titled a book $WHACKD next year. He probably would’ve made a cool $5mil selling it to rubes. There would’ve been baseball caps and T shirts. I think that at about the fourth decade of doing this poo poo McAfee lost the benefit of the doubt WRT it being proximally caused by bipolar disorder.

And I think that he knew exactly what he was going to do. While it’s obvious that McAfee’s circumstances and choices in life were clearly influenced by his psychology and mental health, I don’t think that choosing to go out in the manner that he did was uniquely influenced in the moment by mental duress as a result of his disorder (beyond like a heightened willingness to do extreme things, plan that sort of thing, have those sorts of ideas, etc).

As somebody who’s struggled with self-harm and ideation in the past, I really don’t think he had a manic episode or panic attack before offing himself. I don’t think he got like pathologically depressed before deciding to end it all in a moment of personal sturm und drang. I think he’d always planned to go out this way if he ever ended up arrested and extradited back to the US to potentially spend the next 20 years/rest of his life behind bars.

While it’s possible, probable, maybe even likely, that bipolar disorder had a hand in his death, literally thousands of people in similar situations to his have killed themselves (or been killed by their enemies, I mean who’s to say that McAfee didn’t actually get done-in by somebody he crossed in the drug scene or gang scene that he rolled in? He had former associates and bodyguards who carried big guns and publicly hated his guts, and he legitimately made a lot of dangerous enemies). So why speculate that that was the proximate cause?

Like commenters have said, it’s a shitpost and a way to exit on his own terms. It helps cement his legend and acts as a giant “gently caress you” to the system and the people who tried to hold him accountable. Or make him pay taxes. It riles up the fanbase and fans the flame of speculation. He spent years telling anybody who cared that he’d “never do it, but powerful people” were after him. You don’t say that poo poo in the service of cultivating a personality cult unless you’ve always planned to go out that way if the moment “necessitated it”.

You don’t spend years telling your fans that your/their enemies will be the ones responsible for your death if you hadn’t, on some level, done a good deal of premeditation on the idea of “having a cool death”.

He wasn’t gonna ever get to gently caress underaged girls and women with impunity anymore and he wasn’t gonna get to do bath salts every single day (yes I appreciate that chemical dependency is a disease and that an addict suiciding to spare themselves withdrawal is a real, horrible thing), so why live out the rest of his life in a cage if he could give the fuckers the biggest headache he could on his way out?

Again, speaking as a bipolar goon, I haven’t noticed a single person ITT making slights or jokes about his disorder, unless you count “ child whoremonger” as a mood disorder.

I will, however, say that I think it’s pretty gross (and unintentionally so, I hope) to take stock of this guy’s lifetime of horrible, predatory, manipulative, cult leader-like behavior and then primarily categorize him as “a man with bipolar disorder”, just because he killed himself in the end.

People love to speculate that Hitler or Stalin had bipolar disorder—that it’s the reason why Stalin was so paranoid and arrogant and why Hitler was, well, Hitler (and also why he shot himself)—and it does absolutely nothing except further stigmatize and pathologize the experiences of the people who have it.

I don’t want to be lumped in with McAffee any more than I want to be lumped in with Hitler, or Trump, or any other famous piece of poo poo who happened to probably have a mental illness.

Even at its worst my bipolar disorder has never made me sexually assault anybody, buy sex from children, defraud people on a global scale in multiple ventures, kill my neighbor, or be libertarian. And I promise you that it never will. If you want to be nice to bipolar goons, maybe don’t implicitly lump them in with monsters.

I know that the intention isn’t to conflate mental illness/disinhibition with evil, but that’s kind of what’s being implied here to me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
this is gonna replace the galt speech for my favorite word puke to just shove wherever I can

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Is it though? Have they been? Speaking as a bipolar goon, whose opinions are entirely their own, I thought “$WHACKD” was a catchphrase that McAfee made up to sell himself to Q people and cryptocurrency sovcits, something he got tattoo’d on his arm to show how he’d “never ever commit suicide” and so his fans would “ask the real questions”.

I thought it had very little to do with his mood disorder and everything to do with telling people that powerful interests were gunning for him for being such a genius badass and maverick crypto disruptor.

And also, as far as I’ve seen, the only people drawing connections to his bipolar disorder or any sort of mental illness have been the ones finger-wagging about it, and literally nobody else. Nobody’s said “lol bipolar weirdo offed himself” or implied it, or anything remotely of the sort.

It’s not “whacked” as in merely “whacked out”, it’s whacked as in “oh you think I’m whacked? I’ll show you who’s whacked. Yeah, I’m whacked—I’m whacked on life, on crypto, on sex, on free thinking. You wanna see something whacked, go look at Q. That’s $WACKD. The elites are coming for me. You wanna see whacked? If I wind up dead, it’s because I’ve literally been whacked. Follow the money. Hillary and Bill Gates and Biden had me whacked. $WHACKD.”

It may be driven or sparked by mania (or “bipolar brain” or whatever, directly or indirectly) but it’s still just part of the same perpetual grift and constant self promotion act that he maintained for five decades- first as a drug hobbyist/runner (depending on which story you hear), then later when he got rich selling what has always essentially been bloatware, then when he became a naturopathy and yoga lifestyle guru and wannabe cult leader/light aircraft entrepreneur, and finally as a bath salts enthusiast/producer and later crypto pusher. The QAnon poo poo isn’t dramatically any different from when he’d surround himself with New Agers looking for an alternative to the mainstream.

He’s a loving lifelong conman, a seriously talented and successful one, and $WHACKD was his latest and last angle. It wasn’t a cry for help, it was him building his brand. If he hadn’t been arrested and set for extradition he probably would’ve titled a book $WHACKD next year. He probably would’ve made a cool $5mil selling it to rubes. There would’ve been baseball caps and T shirts. I think that at about the fourth decade of doing this poo poo McAfee lost the benefit of the doubt WRT it being proximally caused by bipolar disorder.

And I think that he knew exactly what he was going to do. While it’s obvious that McAfee’s circumstances and choices in life were clearly influenced by his psychology and mental health, I don’t think that choosing to go out in the manner that he did was uniquely influenced in the moment by mental duress as a result of his disorder (beyond like a heightened willingness to do extreme things, plan that sort of thing, have those sorts of ideas, etc).

As somebody who’s struggled with self-harm and ideation in the past, I really don’t think he had a manic episode or panic attack before offing himself. I don’t think he got like pathologically depressed before deciding to end it all in a moment of personal sturm und drang. I think he’d always planned to go out this way if he ever ended up arrested and extradited back to the US to potentially spend the next 20 years/rest of his life behind bars.

While it’s possible, probable, maybe even likely, that bipolar disorder had a hand in his death, literally thousands of people in similar situations to his have killed themselves (or been killed by their enemies, I mean who’s to say that McAfee didn’t actually get done-in by somebody he crossed in the drug scene or gang scene that he rolled in? He had former associates and bodyguards who carried big guns and publicly hated his guts, and he legitimately made a lot of dangerous enemies). So why speculate that that was the proximate cause?

Like commenters have said, it’s a shitpost and a way to exit on his own terms. It helps cement his legend and acts as a giant “gently caress you” to the system and the people who tried to hold him accountable. Or make him pay taxes. It riles up the fanbase and fans the flame of speculation. He spent years telling anybody who cared that he’d “never do it, but powerful people” were after him. You don’t say that poo poo in the service of cultivating a personality cult unless you’ve always planned to go out that way if the moment “necessitated it”.

You don’t spend years telling your fans that your/their enemies will be the ones responsible for your death if you hadn’t, on some level, done a good deal of premeditation on the idea of “having a cool death”.

He wasn’t gonna ever get to gently caress underaged girls and women with impunity anymore and he wasn’t gonna get to do bath salts every single day (yes I appreciate that chemical dependency is a disease and that an addict suiciding to spare themselves withdrawal is a real, horrible thing), so why live out the rest of his life in a cage if he could give the fuckers the biggest headache he could on his way out?

Again, speaking as a bipolar goon, I haven’t noticed a single person ITT making slights or jokes about his disorder, unless you count “ child whoremonger” as a mood disorder.

I will, however, say that I think it’s pretty gross (and unintentionally so, I hope) to take stock of this guy’s lifetime of horrible, predatory, manipulative, cult leader-like behavior and then primarily categorize him as “a man with bipolar disorder”, just because he killed himself in the end.

People love to speculate that Hitler or Stalin had bipolar disorder—that it’s the reason why Stalin was so paranoid and arrogant and why Hitler was, well, Hitler (and also why he shot himself)—and it does absolutely nothing except further stigmatize and pathologize the experiences of the people who have it.

I don’t want to be lumped in with McAffee any more than I want to be lumped in with Hitler, or Trump, or any other famous piece of poo poo who happened to probably have a mental illness.

Even at its worst my bipolar disorder has never made me sexually assault anybody, buy sex from children, defraud people on a global scale in multiple ventures, kill my neighbor, or be libertarian. And I promise you that it never will. If you want to be nice to bipolar goons, maybe don’t implicitly lump them in with monsters.

I know that the intention isn’t to conflate mental illness/disinhibition with evil, but that’s kind of what’s being implied here to me.

lol

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/nHwcv3a.mp4

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

you should, it's a real treat.

The famous moron who just kinda does insane poo poo and goes on manic sprees constantly is actually a carefully planning criminal mastermind, you see

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hillary clinton had me taken off the epstein hit and reassigned to mcafee after i said that her novel could use some trimming

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

hillary clinton had me taken off the epstein hit and reassigned to mcafee after i said that her novel could use some trimming

sucks, I'm stuck waiting for Weiner to get busted again

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im actually surprised weiner hasnt been caught again. couldnt even keep it in his pants when his wife's boss was running for president.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

this is gonna replace the galt speech for my favorite word puke to just shove wherever I can

It's exquisite, loving lmao

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

i ain't reading all that

i'm happy for u tho

or sorry that happened

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Yinlock posted:

i googled the # of billionaires and got 2755

:hmmyes:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

i ain't reading all that

i'm happy for u tho

or sorry that happened

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jbwashing/status/1407697677505253378

Wow, who knew moving all of the children out of DHS cages and into HHS cages was a trick and that it would actually work

ThE cAmPs ArE eMpTyInG

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
1 neat cage, kids HATE it!

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

1 neat cage, kids HATE it!

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/status/1408182902978977802?s=20

I can't find a non-shithead sharing this so i had to use the daily caller tweet

the real funny part of this is at the beginning Biden says the Tuskeegee Airmen were experimented on. His brain really mashed together the syphilis experiments and army air unit together.

what's that? people are worried that ice will target them at vaccination sites? I wonder if anyone with executive oversight of that agency could offer a forceful guarantee that that won't happen? perhaps, I dunno, immediately after making that observation would be a good time to say that.

no? oh ok, nvm then.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

paranoid randroid posted:

im actually surprised weiner hasnt been caught again. couldnt even keep it in his pants when his wife's boss was running for president.

I assume he still is but no one in media cares anymore

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/HCNow/status/1408174360226062337
https://twitter.com/HCNow/status/1408174361794826241

more 👏 preventable 👏 women 👏 healthcare 👏 deaths

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Im surprised we havent seen Huma Abedin pop up since

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nichael posted:

I get that most people don't pay attention to those clips, but it's not like they were private either. It's hard for me to grasp how people can think Trump or Biden are anything but slightly different narcissists. I think people just really want a (blue or red) hero, and prefer not to think more deeply than that because the reality is too sad. For that, I don't really blame them.

People just absorb what they consider "common sense" from the media and culture they're exposed to. All the media liberals consume talks about how Biden is a wonderful person who is great at his job, and questioning that media consensus is just weird to them. That's where they get The News; the idea that The News might be misleading is just a crazy conspiracy theory that only wackos would believe.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Meh, this is obviously just an exception. It's disappointing to see this happening at this one facility, but there's no reason to think it's happening at most other facilities.

I think I commented on this before recently, but I realized that the attitude these people have towards the Democratic Party is basically just "God of the Gaps" logic. As long as there's even the tiniest level of uncertainty, you must assume that the Democrats are doing the best thing possible (and that when they do bad things it's because they must not have had a choice). The Democrats work in mysterious ways, but we must keep the faith.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Meh, this is obviously just an exception. It's disappointing to see this happening at this one facility, but there's no reason to think it's happening at most other facilities.

I think I commented on this before recently, but I realized that the attitude these people have towards the Democratic Party is basically just "God of the Gaps" logic. As long as there's even the tiniest level of uncertainty, you must assume that the Democrats are doing the best thing possible (and that when they do bad things it's because they must not have had a choice). The Democrats work in mysterious ways, but we must keep the faith.

more like god of the GAAPs

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattThomasNYC/status/1407815161205989381

the only way i can parse this is that caban isnt actually a socialist or that policies are completely meaningless and people just vote on brand without paying attention to record

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

that's what the thread says

https://twitter.com/MattThomasNYC/status/1407815176888455168

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattThomasNYC/status/1407815161205989381

the only way i can parse this is that caban isnt actually a socialist or that policies are completely meaningless and people just vote on brand without paying attention to record

it's this

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lansdowne posted:

what's that? people are worried that ice will target them at vaccination sites? I wonder if anyone with executive oversight of that agency could offer a forceful guarantee that that won't happen? perhaps, I dunno, immediately after making that observation would be a good time to say that.

no? oh ok, nvm then.

but who could possibly have unchecked oversight over ice???

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

loquacius posted:

Bernie was the compromise, just, y'know, more of one than we'd thought

He sure was compromised

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

CongoJack posted:

The United States being split into two functionally similar nations just with their power divided between them probably would have been better for the world in the long run.

Zeno's anarchism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Rome was not built in a day. Economic growth of course affects the rich first, because they are the ones who own businesses. But, when the GDP of a government has grown over a decade, that surplus in funds and good global credit ratings mean that foreign investment and the country’s savings can pay for infrastructure to benefit the poor or masses.

One President needs to uplift the economy The second needs to keep it going & begin infrastructure, education programs The third President needs to ensure those programs get completed and their are checks/balances so they continue to improve.

8 years is not enough time to accomplish true economic reform, but it is enough time to hand over the baton

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

cool and good to begin explaining why you haven't done anything in 4 years after merely 5 months have passed

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

all of the most progressive administrations immediately begin pumping the brakes and start waving their arms going "WHOA! Let's temper our expectations here!"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Lib and let die posted:

"Someone said we have Communists moderating d&d, what do we do?!"

"Uhhh...give poster with 'Commie' in their name buttons, that way it's technically true!"

"Genius!"
I see and disapprove of your IK campaign.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lansdowne posted:

more 👏 preventable 👏 women 👏 healthcare 👏 deaths

imo it's time to take the maximalist approach and demand fully socialized healthcare

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Are the Republicans going to try to make their support contingent on getting rid of the reconciliation bill? Cause there's a scenario where they demand that, only to filibuster the bipartisan deal too. I don't think the dems will fall for that one, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My hope is the plan the entire time was to get the GOP to nuke a bipartisan anything so they have political cover to go hog wild with another reconciliation.