Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

zedprime posted:

Are there any high-LP monster morph guides for idiots before going into the Riki magma slime encounter? Specific like "go to these encounters in the bio lab and grind for these abilities" like some of the mystic absorb guides get. Most of the "just get these absorbs dummy" seem to be just to get a dullahan which is not ideal for LP damage.

Gen with gale/twingale and some good swords will clean up the slimes fairly quick, even without shadow magic. Tack on another sword user like Lute or some aoe magic/monster abilities and you should be tearing through the slimes quick enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ardryn posted:

Gen with gale/twingale and some good swords will clean up the slimes fairly quick, even without shadow magic. Tack on another sword user like Lute or some aoe magic/monster abilities and you should be tearing through the slimes quick enough.

I did this, but... even pretty good Lute/Gen setup they were too slow and still needed to eat hits and rely on shields or deflect to survive.

This was before I actually engaged in NG+ so a few laps of those guys should make it better.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Unfortunately the Magma slimes attack has a bit of initiative so grinding to get more speed won't help that much. The thief ring will give you a free round so be sure to use that. Mechs with Shock Soldier are excellent in that fight since they have a ton of LP and with high enough stats should be able to one shot each wave of slimes. Even if you don't have that you should still bring a mech or two to soak up the LP damage.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I'm playing through T260G's story right now, and I really would like to know more about how Mechs and Skills and stuff work. It seems pretty random to me, but because of how they can just equip anything and get big stats, people don't seem to talk about it as much as how to make viable Monsters.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kurui Reiten posted:

I'm playing through T260G's story right now, and I really would like to know more about how Mechs and Skills and stuff work. It seems pretty random to me, but because of how they can just equip anything and get big stats, people don't seem to talk about it as much as how to make viable Monsters.

Most Mecs have a pre-defined list of skills they will learn. Unlike monsters or mystics, you can learn any tech from any mec enemy*, so fight enough Mecs and you'll get all of the skills. Pretty sure every mec T260 can recruit (except the one in Koorong) can learn PluralSlash/Multi-slash, which is the mec's best attack tech*.

*A few bosses/minibosses in T260's (and Red's) scenario(s) will grant specific techs (usually in the form of Programs) that you have limited access to, and usually need a specific board (Octopus Board, etc.) in order to use their techs in battle. In particular, Tiger Program + Octopus Board = TigerRampage, which generally out-damages Multi-slash.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Most Mecs have a pre-defined list of skills they will learn. Unlike monsters or mystics, you can learn any tech from any mec enemy*, so fight enough Mecs and you'll get all of the skills. Pretty sure every mec T260 can recruit (except the one in Koorong) can learn PluralSlash/Multi-slash, which is the mec's best attack tech*.

*A few bosses/minibosses in T260's (and Red's) scenario(s) will grant specific techs (usually in the form of Programs) that you have limited access to, and usually need a specific board (Octopus Board, etc.) in order to use their techs in battle. In particular, Tiger Program + Octopus Board = TigerRampage, which generally out-damages Multi-slash.

Tiger Rampage chains with more skills too from my experience, but it seems to chain with itself less often than plural slash (and these skills can chain with each other) so it's less reliable than just going with 4x plural slash + lifesprinkler in T260G's endgame.

Though it's worth noting that Mystics can get Tiger Rampage as well. :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

There's a pretty good mec guide on GameFAQs that can help with skill learning lists: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/198537-saga-frontier/faqs/48282

Mecs learn skills by downloading data from defeated mec-type enemies. Some skills come from specific types of mecs (which you can see lists of in that FAQ). That works sort of like monsters--each type of mec enemy has a list of skills it can teach, some rarer than others, and failing to learn a new skill (either because you already know it or didn't succeed at learning one of the rarer ones) just recharges your mec's WP.

The twist is that mecs have skills that players call "self-development" skills. These are skills that are determined by your mec's body type (which are numbered 1 through 8). Each mec type has a list of skills they can learn from any mec enemy, so long as it's high enough rank. Some of the best skills, like Multi-slash, are self-development skills.

Mecs are a lot simpler than monsters, though. Just absorb data from every mec you fight and you'll steadily learn skills to slot in. Your mec's INT stat determines how many skill slots they have, and you can switch skills around just like humans can once you learn them once. Some mec bosses have unique skills to absorb where you might want a specific mec to absorb it, but for the most part, just absorb every time you beat a mec enemy and you'll do fine.

Hat-lock
Jan 5, 2007
Regarding Romancing Saga 3: is it possible to "Lose" Thomas's business mini-game? I overzealously spent all my capitol during an acquisition and now can't initiate another acquisition. Does the time/quarters only tick forward while you are playing the minigame? Or are there other ways to advance it to acquire more capitol?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
After a long break in the middle, I have returned to my Riki playthrough and finished Virgil's Funhouse.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

After a long break in the middle, I have returned to my Riki playthrough and finished Virgil's Funhouse.

:toot:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

All seven main scenarios down, and three of Fuse's case files down. I wish Fuse's story sections were longer, but it's great to see him just mess everything up.

Fun fact, there are some Cheat Engine tables available that, among other things, let monsters seal and re-equip skills like Humans' Arts and Magic. It's pretty cool to mess with monster builds like that.

Tables are available here. Have fun.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think I’m finally hitting the sweet spot where I feel like I’m generally in control of fights in Scarlet Grace. I think I really regret sleeping on rapiers as long as I did though, Mesmerize is insanely good when you realize that it not doing damage makes it harder to get hit with conditionals.

I am noticing that weapon ranks add a shitton to damage, I tried using this one general with way better stats than Caspar but he’s just really weak comparatively even before accounting for the loss of versatility. I’m still a ways into Leonard’s story so I’m sure there’s even more I’ll learn after three more playthroughs. Kinda seems like the pro strat is to beeline towards recruiting the other main characters though looking at Balmaint compared to Everyone Else.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Scarlet Grace really has one of the more innovative combat mechanics of any RPG I've seen in a long time, let alone SaGa game. It's a pity that the rest of the game feels so empty and flat.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Sherry Bahm posted:

Scarlet Grace really has one of the more innovative combat mechanics of any RPG I've seen in a long time, let alone SaGa game. It's a pity that the rest of the game feels so empty and flat.

This. I had so much with this system that I did every quest I could in every area and was at like... 500+ HP for my full party of 9 characters and still in Chapter 1 when I found myself... just not caring anymore about any of the things I was doing.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/11393-saga-re-release-sales-have-exceeded-square-enix-s-expectations-and-the-producers-would-like-to-do-more

quote:

"This is a very difficult question ..., and I can't go into many details," Kawazu begins. "There are probably titles that we will need to really look into revamping the content before they can be re-released, such as Unlimited SaGa."

For those unaware, Unlimited SaGa is something of an especially notorious SaGa entry for being a difficult-to-penetrate game with complex mechanics not well explained. "For these titles, we definitely will need time to consider this, and of course, the development of such a remaster will take more time than usual as well," he states.

Kawazu continues on, "On the other hand, there might also be SaGa titles that we can more easily re-release right away, without the need to make too many adjustments to them. It really is a case-by-case scenario, where we're looking at each title one by one."

Unfortunately, Kawazu couldn't offer any more details about future plans for SaGa. We know there is also a new SaGa title in development, going by his statement in April, but it seems like it might be a while before we see anything from the new project.

Imagine an Unlimited SaGa remaster but Kawazu doubles down on obfuscated mechanics.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

I don't know how they could make US more impenetrable. If they're actually going to make big changes I hope it's a significant overhaul to a bunch of that game's hosed up systems and not just adding a bunch of tutorials/QoL features and calling it a day.

I wonder how they end up handling RS1. Remaster the original 16 bit version? Put out Minstrel Song again? Make some weird half-step game between the two? I doubt they would remaster both unless they plan to put them out years apart.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

*banging fists on table* Minstrel Song! Minstrel Song!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Minstrel Song with 2x speed toggle, actually.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I bought that game on launch purely out of my love for SF1. It was 30 dollars even then, which should have been a sign

I don't know how it could be made more confusing than it already was.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Minstrel Song except they hire even more voice actors to say “O Warrior of Nisa

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

minstrel song: add a screen that shows your event rank, battle rank, and favor with the gods

i don't want to talk to that kid ever again

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

Minstrel Song except they hire even more voice actors to say “O Warrior of Nisa

HAVE YOU HEARD OF MOUNT SCURVE!?

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Gyoru posted:

minstrel song: add a screen that shows your event rank, battle rank, and favor with the gods

i don't want to talk to that kid ever again

There are probably other quality of life things they could do that would be a massive upgrade, but this is by far the most important.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Just give us SaGa 4 and Frontier 3 made in the style of their respective series (minus the leveling in SaGa 3).

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Localize the SaGa DS remakes.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Harrow posted:

bees x1000 posted:

:yeah:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

I'd rather get high quality 2D remakes but this is also acceptable.

2D HD SaGa 2 would be fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'd pay 80 bucks for a HD Minstrel Song.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd pay 80 bucks for a HD Minstrel Song.

Same here- it wouldn’t make any sense to just port the original RS1 given the massively upgraded Minstrel Song. Which makes me think that’s what’s going to happen instead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If they do remaster the SNES RS1, it'll probably be because it'll be easier to make it playable on mobile. Obviously 3D games are plenty playable with touch controls on mobile, there are tons of examples, but 2D's easier, and all of the SaGa remasters have also been on mobile so far.

I do really really hope they remaster Minstrel Song, though. Much like FFXII's PS2 version, it already looks great if you just upscale it in an emulator. All I really care about is widescreen and an HD UI and it's good to go as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure they'd want to do more (some QOL improvements and probably NG+) but even if they didn't I'd be happy.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Any tips for choosing a character and sign in Romancing Saga 3?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I honestly don't know if you could do a good SaGa 4 without it being a huge effort, 1 and 2 depended extremely heavily on being so far ahead of the tech curve that a few futuristic tiles, sound effects, and item/monster names were enough to carry the fantasy of playing in wildly different worlds (and while the overall plots dealt with lot of interesting concepts, the worlds and plot beats themselves were relatively uncomplicated takes that relied a lot on bubble-era Japanese pop culture spins on SF/fantasy or being the west's first mass exposure to that style.) But I'd be there day 1 to see if they swung it.

Honestly a subseries that would benefit a lot from Igavania-like asset hoarding and a quick sequel schedule to lean into the "these are cool things we found recently clicking on Wikipedia/how we would've run an x TV show-inspired few sessions in our D&D campaign" angle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

babypolis posted:

Any tips for choosing a character and sign in Romancing Saga 3?

If you choose Mikhail or Khalid(?) there's some additional minigame stuff they have to do that you might not be a fan of, iirc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I have yet to finish Scarlet Grace. I got two game sin Chapter 2: Urpina on PS4 and Taria on Switch.

This game is pretty hard!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The Gameboy Saga collection that's currently Switch only was just announced to come out on mobile and Steam, the stream's in Japanese so idk about English releases for now but at least for Japan the release dates are 9.22. and 10.22. respectively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmA9HMU1BtU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Scarlet Grace had some of the best turn based combat ever; I spotted before beating a single chapter though; the game drags and everything else about it was pushing me away.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Veib posted:

The Gameboy Saga collection that's currently Switch only was just announced to come out on mobile and Steam, the stream's in Japanese so idk about English releases for now but at least for Japan the release dates are 9.22. and 10.22. respectively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmA9HMU1BtU

The Japanese release includes the English versions, FWIW.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ace Transmuter posted:

Scarlet Grace had some of the best turn based combat ever; I spotted before beating a single chapter though; the game drags and everything else about it was pushing me away.

I felt the same way. The story did nothing to really compel me to keep moving forward, but I really enjoyed the combat system. Shame about the rest of the game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

holy crap this Black X ship maze don't screw up or instant game over, but not instant because you have to either beat the boss or just Alt+F4 might be the worst gaming thing of all time

I'm liking the game otherwise