Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
As someone who never owned a PS3 I won't care that the Tony Hawks look bad on my switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

im sorry to hear about the golf game. i know many of you had your hopes up. condolences, and may your fate not befall me when Metroid Dread comes out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The golf will be fine.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Muscle Tracer posted:

im sorry to hear about the golf game. i know many of you had your hopes up. condolences, and may your fate not befall me when Metroid Dread comes out.

LOL if you think critics whining because it's not the same thing from before doesn't make me more excited for the new and different golf game

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Muscle Tracer posted:

unfortunate news, the golf will be bad in that game as well

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Golf is dead and Nintendo holds the knife.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Relax Or DIE posted:

unfortunate news, the golf will be bad in that game as well

Yeah, they didn't show off the Morph or Spider Ball powerups, so there's no ball to put into any holes. Just a terrible golf game.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Gonna take up golf IRL because this game is so good

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Can't believe they got rid of the tennis minigame in Metroid Dread.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If a golf game doesn't have you driving carts off the course to get between holes, barreling the wrong way down a bike lane or on the sidewalk yelling at pedestrians to get out of your way, it's not a proper golf simulation.

Why yes, I DO live next to a course, how could you tell?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It used to be two button presses to get into the morphball but now there's a dedicated button so its just one press? What are they thinking, what a mess

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hope the golf is good in the remake of Dark Cloud 2 for the Nintendo Switch

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cavauro posted:

i hope the golf is good in the remake of Dark Cloud 2 for the Nintendo Switch

My heart unironically yearns for more Spheda.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

during lockdown the golf courses were closed so I could take my dogs for walks on their luxuriously maintained grass until they fenced it all off because people were sneaking in to play golf

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is it true you can't save replays in the new Mario Golf? Because that's baffling to me.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

New Super Metis posted:

during lockdown the golf courses were closed so I could take my dogs for walks on their luxuriously maintained grass until they fenced it all off because people were sneaking in to play golf

that happened here too it was fantastic. I think each state should get to keep one golf course of the public’s choosing and the rest of them become just normal parks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

New Super Metis posted:

Mine was the opposite, not only was it closed to the public but the normally-open college campus by me locked down to to try and keep their disease-ridden students contained. SAome nice creek paths there, only opened back up a week ago.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
If I knew photoshop I would absolutely edit the image of Sephiroth stabbing Mario to show sephiroth stabbing golf Mario.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Got a spot in Mario Golf if anyone wants to hop in.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Wildtortilla posted:

If I knew photoshop I would absolutely edit the image of Sephiroth stabbing Mario to show sephiroth stabbing golf Mario.

Waluigi appears out of a shaft of light and stabbing a putter through Mario

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Holy poo poo talk about obscure games from the past coming to life again, there was a sega genesis game called 'Cotton' about a witch in a shmup game and someone notified me that there's a NEW game coming out for the switch all these years later:-

Fantastic Night Dreams Cotton Reboot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saalUMLYUvY

Thats insane
This has been out in Japan for a while, IIRC. A brand new Cotton game was announced for PS4 and Switch in Japan the other day as well, Superlative Night Dreams Cotton ROCK 'n' ROLL.
https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1407978666127028231

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I would be golfin' right now but Best Buy is really dropping the ball on the whole sending out an automated email at midnight thing

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Silver Falcon posted:

I had to order a replacement for my 8bitdo. I had one of the ones that looks like a SNES controller, without the grips. Had it for at least a few years. I got a SN30Pro+, with the grips.

The old SNES controller one just stopped responding the other day. It was just dead. Tried plugging it in to multiple USB ports, a USB wall adapter, multiple cables, etc. No response at all. I mostly just kept it plugged into USB with my computer, because my computer doesn't do Bluetooth and needs the wire connected.

Will I somehow gently caress up the new one if I keep it plugged in all the time? I'm wary cuz these things aren't cheap and I don't know exactly what went wrong with the old one.

As someone else said, that might kill the battery, causing a safety trip.

Not super hard to repair if you know what you're doing but annoying anyway. Keep it unplugged when not in use.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Kins posted:

This has been out in Japan for a while, IIRC. A brand new Cotton game was announced for PS4 and Switch in Japan the other day as well, Superlative Night Dreams Cotton ROCK 'n' ROLL.
https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1407978666127028231

The limited edition comes with a whole rear end nendoroid

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Silver Falcon posted:

I had to order a replacement for my 8bitdo. I had one of the ones that looks like a SNES controller, without the grips. Had it for at least a few years. I got a SN30Pro+, with the grips.

The old SNES controller one just stopped responding the other day. It was just dead. Tried plugging it in to multiple USB ports, a USB wall adapter, multiple cables, etc. No response at all. I mostly just kept it plugged into USB with my computer, because my computer doesn't do Bluetooth and needs the wire connected.

Will I somehow gently caress up the new one if I keep it plugged in all the time? I'm wary cuz these things aren't cheap and I don't know exactly what went wrong with the old one.

Good news about the pro+ and pro 2, even if you kill the battery you can just swap in 2 AAs.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mario Golf is so good you guys. Online is bloody fantastic and battle golf is tremendous fun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I wanted: golf
I got: golf

I'm happy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People compared it to tennis aces. I didn't like tennis aces because the career forced all the dumb mini games instead of just being a tournament like the originals. Does Mario golf do that? I don't mind new modes and checking them out, but I'd like to just play a Mario golf career without having to golf past giant boos or golf on a pirate ship.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I can't recall seeing The Mario Bros sans clown gloves. These are some gargantuan hands.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Wait, y'all actually bought the golf game?

We were kidding. Oh god, look what you've done. Now they're going to deliberately make all games bad.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I have zero nostalgia for nintendo games with Switch being the first nintendo console I owned. Gotta say the nintendo community exemplified by this thread gives me strong bible summer camp vibes.

By that I mean you can make a lot of good friends and have fun together.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Vic posted:

I have zero nostalgia for nintendo games with Switch being the first nintendo console I owned. Gotta say the nintendo community exemplified by this thread gives me strong bible summer camp vibes.

By that I mean you can make a lot of good friends and have fun together.

So when does the counselor with a strange amount of polaroid film pass out the special night time orange juice that tastes like medicine?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm glad the golf fans are having fun with their new golf game. As a Metroid fan I hope I also have fun when Metroid Dread comes out.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm glad the golf fans are having fun with their new golf game. As a Metroid fan I hope I also have fun when Metroid Dread comes out.

You will because it's a Metroid game not made by the perverts who made dead or alive volleyball.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wrapped up 18 hole match with pubbies on the desert course, tournament tees and strongest wind.

I won with -4. Second was +1, third was +4 and last was +12. Game slaps, highly recommend. The online is wonderful.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Metroid golf's gotta have it!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The golf game is good. The music sucks (like real golf) but the golf game is good

How I gather shots work, since it seems to be a big issue:

Press "A" to begin your shot, sending the power indicator up the bar.
Press "A" a second time where you want the carry power peak to land (or AA for a topspin, B for a backspin, or BB for a super backspin.) This locks in the power of the shot.
The power indicator will travel up the bar again; press any button with the best timing you can for a Nice Shot. This determines accuracy, or how much the RNG "wiggle" shines on you.

Depending on terrain and conditions, the top-most portion of the bar will spread out, called the "risk zone".
However, the entire bar has a bit of width to it by default.
Your shots will always "wiggle" a little bit within the default width, as evidenced by a small arrow that shows up after the shot, someplace on your peak power line.
If you manage a Nice Shot, the wiggle is almost always insignificant.
If you do not manage a Nice Shot and just so happen to experience a strong effect by the RNG, a little exclamation point will pop up on the indicator.
If you take a shot well into the risk zone, AND mess up your accuracy (the final button press of the shot,) you could wiggle way off course.

Finally, the power bar eventually divides up into sections, which increase as you level up. Each section can be curved independently with the left stick, which is fast and weird and difficult, because you must input the desired curves while the power indicator travels up the bar. I can't remember if this was in the 3DS game or not, but it's tricky so far.

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 25, 2021

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Golf good. The overworld stuff in Adventure is rough around the edges, but everything else is solid. Eager to see how well they handle DLC in the future.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I saw Andre Gamexplain complain that motion controls sucked, but having tried them in a head to head with the wife they actually work surprisingly well. Dont know if you can put spin on the ball with motion controls however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

So when does the counselor with a strange amount of polaroid film pass out the special night time orange juice that tastes like medicine?

That's extremely dark