Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Final support question from me for now, I think: for picking the replacement motherboard, I'm hovering between the, and the MSI A520M Pro. They're both very affordable (75 and 50 EUR, respectively). Supposedly, the Mortar has better VRM and more versatility (which I don't need). By contrast, the A520M is a newer cheapset, but may have lovely VRM. Anyone have an opinion?

e: I've read a couple of more opinions and round-ups. From what I can gather, both chipsets are equally un-futureproof or futureproof, as AM4 is by now old anyway. VRM are supposed to be good on B450m Mortar, but unknown on the 520. The 520 supports less USB bandwidth, which might be a problem for certain VR setups (for Oculus, USB was often a bottleneck in the past). All that makes me tend to the Mortar, after all.

If you're worried about power stability after wrestling with your last build, I would not take a chance on the lower end board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Microcenter having 5900X's readily available at MSRP got me to upgrade my 3900X. I was looking for more consistent VR performance and the 5900X is helping me do stuff like get a consistent 120 FPS in games like Project Cars 2 and No Man's Sky, that was happening before on the 3900X paired with a 3090. I'm glad to see that PBO actually works on these CPU's unlike my old 3900X, the 3900X basically never ran at the 4.6ghz clocks it was supposed to run at as a max boost, but with some quick PBO twiddling I see the 5900X able to clock as high as 5.025ghz and do like 4.5ghz all core clocks in benchmarks. It also looks like there's less of a gap between the 'good' cores and 'bad cores', at least with my CPU.

What I'm a bit disappointed with so far is memory, this 5900X seems to not want to take memory clocks I was able to handle on the 3900X. I was running tightly tuned CL14 timings on the 3900X with my Crucial Ballistix 16x2 CL 16 kit but that's causing errors right away when testing memory, it also doesn't want to boot at all at 3800 CL16 with timings I used to be able to boot with on the 3900X and gave me errors quickly at 3733 CL16 as well. I was using Ryzen DRAM Calculator as that's helped me in the past get usable clocks, but nothing it's giving me now is working and I'm just rocking XMP for now. I'm using an X470 Crosshair VII Wi-Fi motherboard still as I didn't see a compelling reason to jump to X570.

That was or wasn't happening on your old 3900x (the consistent frames in VR)? In the same situation so I'm curious what gains you actually saw; I have a 3900xt and RTX 3080. The 5900x was released before I could build so I'm trying to decide if I should sell the unopened 3900xt and buy bigger.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hasturtium posted:

If you're worried about power stability after wrestling with your last build, I would not take a chance on the lower end board.

If it's not defective, he won't have that issue. There's no need to over provision because of a previous part defect.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

LRADIKAL posted:

If it's not defective, he won't have that issue. There's no need to over provision because of a previous part defect.

You've got me there. If he's running a 65W chip it shouldn't matter.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Lord Stimperor posted:

Final support question from me for now, I think: for picking the replacement motherboard, I'm hovering between the, and the MSI A520M Pro. They're both very affordable (75 and 50 EUR, respectively). Supposedly, the Mortar has better VRM and more versatility (which I don't need). By contrast, the A520M is a newer cheapset, but may have lovely VRM. Anyone have an opinion?

e: I've read a couple of more opinions and round-ups. From what I can gather, both chipsets are equally un-futureproof or futureproof, as AM4 is by now old anyway. VRM are supposed to be good on B450m Mortar, but unknown on the 520. The 520 supports less USB bandwidth, which might be a problem for certain VR setups (for Oculus, USB was often a bottleneck in the past). All that makes me tend to the Mortar, after all.

I have the original MATX Mortar with the smaller bios size and it's been rock solid on my 3700x.

Ran my OG quest through link on the provided cable it came with no problems when they enabled link over usb 2.0.

It's a good board and has the chipless flashback option to boot.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lord Stimperor posted:

I think I'll draw a line under this the coming days. I'm pretty sure it's neither the memory nor the SSDs, as swapping/removing them does not change anything about the behaviour, and I've been able to partially memtest one of them for four passes (Internet says 8 passes minimum for confidence but that takes days, and physically swapping them and not seeing a difference points to other sources anyway).

First, I'll double-check power connections, given the recent discussions. Then I'll gently caress with the CPU voltage and/or stress test it. If that has a significant effect on stability, I'll decide it's the CPU. If that doesn't resolve it, I'll finish my memtesting on memtest86. If by then no clear culprit has emerged, I'm gonna order an MSI B450m mortar or pro-m2 MAX board. I can get these for 50-75 bucks and supposedly at least the mortar might be a tiny bit nicer than my bazooka, so that's not a terrible deal.

I have a B450M Mortar Max and it's very nice.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Ordered the mortar. I'll also be getting my covid shot tomorrow so that might have a celebratory beer for a good day if everything works out.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Lord Stimperor posted:

VRM are supposed to be good on B450m Mortar, but unknown on the 520. The 520 supports less USB bandwidth, which might be a problem for certain VR setups (for Oculus, USB was often a bottleneck in the past).
With Airlink or Virtual Desktop the main draw is to use the quest 2 wireless.
My overpriced board still can't keep up with charging while playing, but a link cable mixed with the factory charger does the trick.

If you have a wifi6 router link cable is not required for quest 2.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

With Airlink or Virtual Desktop the main draw is to use the quest 2 wireless.
My overpriced board still can't keep up with charging while playing, but a link cable mixed with the factory charger does the trick.

If you have a wifi6 router link cable is not required for quest 2.

Doesn't even need to be that fast, more important seems to be that you can reduce interference from other devices. I use a Wifi5 access point with the Quest 2 as the only Wifi client and my gaming computer connected with cable.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

PageMaster posted:

That was or wasn't happening on your old 3900x (the consistent frames in VR)? In the same situation so I'm curious what gains you actually saw; I have a 3900xt and RTX 3080. The 5900x was released before I could build so I'm trying to decide if I should sell the unopened 3900xt and buy bigger.

It's hard to quantify the gains as I wasn't doing raw benchmarks with reprojection off for the most part. I just noticed that in more demanding VR games like PC2 and NMS that it didn't matter what my GPU settings were, I could not hit consistent 120 FPS. Checked things out in fpsVR and saw the problem was the CPU as one would suspect in that case and decided to make the jump. I feel like the 3900X was probably pretty close to being able to do 120 FPS, probably closer to 120 FPS than 90 FPS, but close isn't good enough for VR.

If you have a headset that only does 90hz it may not be worth it to go through the hassle of selling that CPU and getting a new one, the 3900XT should be able to handle that fine.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

... the Mainboard wasn't the problem. God loving damnit. Installed the new one, took me about 30 attempts to burn an iso to USB that would actually boot up and bam, blue screen.

Still thinking that it can't be the memory unless both of the sticks are broken in a way that doesn't show up in mem testing.

Considering to get a set of cheap ram, cpu, and PSU, just to swap until it works. Gahd.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Lord Stimperor posted:

... the Mainboard wasn't the problem. God loving damnit. Installed the new one, took me about 30 attempts to burn an iso to USB that would actually boot up and bam, blue screen.

Still thinking that it can't be the memory unless both of the sticks are broken in a way that doesn't show up in mem testing.

Considering to get a set of cheap ram, cpu, and PSU, just to swap until it works. Gahd.

If the RAM passes memtest, and the motherboard is good, I'd suspect the CPU before anything else.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CPU probably but a dying PSU can definitely cause very strange and inconsistent crashes and is probably cheaper to check.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, my guess would be that the faulty AIO let the CPU cook and it's now damaged. What were your results from upping the voltage?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Wait a minute. Under what conditions would a modern CPU actually overheat itself causing damage? Ryzen throttles to stay at 90, and there's a shutdown at a temperature that I don't know above that. Right?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

Wait a minute. Under what conditions would a modern CPU actually overheat itself causing damage? Ryzen throttles to stay at 90, and there's a shutdown at a temperature that I don't know above that. Right?

Yes, but considering he had a non-functional cooler for a time, it does make me wonder if it had something to do with it. When I see a water cooler failure leading to an overheating CPU and then subsequent system instability even under better cooling conditions, I get suspicious. But maybe my mentality is stuck in the past back when this was a much bigger risk.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LRADIKAL posted:

I believe that's true, but I think it is also intended to be a rarely-invoked failsafe, not an ongoing thing. Like hitting the thermal ceiling once or twice probably not a big deal. Hitting the thermal ceiling over and over again might actually damage the chip, or at least it makes sense to me that it would.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
higher temps stress silicon and drastically reduce longevity, yeah. if your cooling solution was bad it might have accelerated the process I guess?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
What are the motherboards people here would recommend for the 5800x and 5900x respectively.

FYI I currently have a asus tuf wifi x570 with a 3900x I'm considering upgrading to the 5900x for zen 3 and higher clockspeed. The 3900x will go into service in another build (or keep using the asus tuf wifi) so I'm considering making a 'new base-build' with a new motherboard for the incoming 5900x.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Good point about the overvolting. Kind of slipped my mind to do that with all the other stuff I've been trying.

I went into the bios and set the both the SoC and the core voltage to AMD override. VCore is between 1.49 and 1.5 right now, SoC a bit above 1.05. On reflection I should have probably used a fixed offset rather than setting the voltage manually, so that's next. At this point I have 4 browser windows opening streaming long-rear end YouTube videos waiting for them to crash while I'm dicking around on my lunch break.

e: so for about four hours the computer has been streaming a bunch of elsa& spiderman windows on autoplay without crashing a single time. So overvolting might really be the solution. It's kind of mindblowing to me, but I guess it makes sense -- if overheating raises the noise inside the CPU, a higher voltage may be needed to raise the signal above the noise.

Are there any limits or guidelines for how much offset you should give it, other than temperature limits? And do I just apply the same offset to both core and SoC?

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 24, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
There are "maximum safe voltage" recommendations all over. Once you get stable you should back down your individual voltages a bit one at a time to find the relevant setting.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thank you, that sounds doable!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Be patient at this point, give it a few days or even a week between changes, no point introducing stability to save a few degrees in cooling.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've just discovered Moore's Law is Dead, are they a pretty good channel or batty like Adored?

They seem to get pretty good interviews at least.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

NewFatMike posted:

I've just discovered Moore's Law is Dead, are they a pretty good channel or batty like Adored?

Batty, dude is basically a fud/fantasy mill IMHO.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

This is maybe a bit more suited for the tech youtuber thread, but the worst I will say about MLID is that he mostly just aggregates leaks from other people, and also keeps his predictions broad and vague enough that it's tough to pin him on being conclusively wrong

That makes him better than Adored claiming Zen 2 could clock to 5 GHz, but he's not as much of an insider as he tries to portray himself as

I watch him regularly, find him interesting

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks friends! I didn't know there was a tech YouTuber thread. Have a link handy?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

Thanks friends! I didn't know there was a tech YouTuber thread. Have a link handy?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859604&pagenumber=53#lastpost

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

Oh hey, haven't heard about Adored in a while. Wonder what he's up to.

:doh:

:magemage:

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 25, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

Oh hey, haven't heard about Adored in a while. Wonder what he's up to.

:doh:

:magemage:

no loving way lmao

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's extremely more whacko than I ever imagined

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
lol if you didn't already realize AdorkTV was peak moron

Countdown to rants on Nvidia-powered Jewish Space Lasers in 3... 2..

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

That's extremely more whacko than I ever imagined

Quoting your own pseudo intellectual euphoric nonsense is hilarious, especially when it's the first time you've even said it - burrito justice c2021

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

If you're looking for world famous non-stop-wrong Ryzen hypebeast Adored, then the channel you're looking for is "AdoredTV": https://www.youtube.com/user/adoredtv

Not much has changed over there.

Edit: except the view count, which has dropped from about a half-mil per video to about 5k

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

mdxi posted:

If you're looking for world famous non-stop-wrong Ryzen hypebeast Adored, then the channel you're looking for is "AdoredTV": https://www.youtube.com/user/adoredtv

Edit: except the view count, which has dropped from about a half-mil per video to about 5k

Aww way to ruin it, it was much funnier to think that he pivoted from making up CPU poo poo to COVID denier

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shipon posted:

Aww way to ruin it, it was much funnier to think that he pivoted from making up CPU poo poo to COVID denier

No, the Freethinker channel BurritoJustice posted is his actual side channel. Those vids are his too.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

mdxi posted:

I know, he spun off "freethinkers" for six months or so and came back probably after people realised he's a weirdo when not contained to AMD sycophantism. The first photo I posted was his video announcing the change.

Someone called Alex was doing videos in the meantime, apparently they bought the rights to the channel and website. Don't know why you'd want to be saddled by that though.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Always happy to be wrong in the service of internet hilarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

LRADIKAL posted:

Be patient at this point, give it a few days or even a week between changes, no point introducing stability to save a few degrees in cooling.

Right, it's just I think I overdid it initially. I initially set the CPU Core Voltage to [AMD Override]-1.49V and apparently 1.5V roasts CPUs within weeks. Otherwise I see a lot of mixed information.

I have now set it to:
CPU Core voltages: [Offset Mode]
Override CPU Core voltage: auto
CPU offset mode mark: [+]
CPU offset voltage 0.1V

I think that means that it will offset the normal CPU voltage by +0.1V, so 1.1 -> 1.2, and so on. Anything less seems to be unstable.

CPU NB / SoC voltage: [Offset mode]
CPU nb/soc offset mode mark: [auto]
CPU nb/soc offset mode mark: [auto]
CPU NB/SOC offset voltage: 0.0125V

Temps are okay I think, any other danger there?