Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

The only good Star Wars thing was Shadows of the Empire on N64 cause you could input WAMPA STOMPA in the password screen and play as a Wampa
I forgot about that game, and it definitely feels like something that would have been pretty remarkable in its day, but aged horribly.

Like a lot of games from that generation

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Did Anakin ever end up getting that anti-escape explosive brain chip removed after he left Tatooine or is there some EU writer out there who thought it'd be a clever twist if it turned out that Watto lied about doing that to his slaves?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Garrand posted:

May continues her Iceberg video in part 2
Note, I have not actually watched it yet so I don't know how disturbing this one's subjects are but I'm assuming it's going to be significantly worse than part 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8KznPlOMsc

Well that video was fun/depressing and it led me down a rabbit hole of recommended videos and now I long for death because some horror movie directors are sadists.

And like this iceberg, the recommended videos started easy before driving off the deep end super loving fast. Like, one video on found footage movies started with Blair Witch Project and ended with Megan is Missing and now I wish I'd never heard of that movie because christ.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 25, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ghostlight posted:

then he rejects slavery by killing a bunch of kids and becoming a slave. powerful stuff.

It's like poetry, they rhyme. Every stanza...

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bleck posted:

the ongoing reaction to the caricatures and continuous refusal to engage with arguably the core thesis of the first six films is arguably the point

literally the things you are saying, right now, is the point,

star wars fans are famous for not getting star wars so let me summarize anakin skywalker: anakin was a slave who thought it would be cool to be a jedi and then he realizes that they're the same thing
See this is kinda what I mean about people pointing out themes and ideas as though they change the quality of the execution. The presence of super racist caricatures makes me less able to take the themes about slavery seriously. Telling me that the theme is the point does not change this. It's possible a Serbian Film says something powerful about Serbian politics and history, still not going to convince me to watch it.

Yes Anakin being trapped in cycles of slavery and in the end being unable to even prevent his son from recreating the those power structures is a powerful idea. Just wish the story containing it was better told.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's all well and good for Star Wars to be about slavery and bigotry, but does the film really need to make me feel so uncomfortable to do that? :/

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
star wars is about a funny little robot named r2d2 who gets into all kinds of shenanigans

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

What statement does the movie make about slavery by making the first slave owner a Jewish caricature owning a white child? What statement is made by including racist propaganda as truth?

In a movie about racism having a bigot use a slur is somewhat understandable, having all your black characters be portrayed by white guys in blackface is generally not.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
what would be lost from the sum total of Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace if watto had a different looking face and a different voice?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Ah yes, Star Wars: the transgressive work about slavery and bigotry

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bleck posted:

star wars is a franchise where everyone's so busy being upset about racial caricatures

I mean. That seems fair to me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Samuel L Jackson is...an old white people?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Terrible Opinions posted:

What statement does the movie make about slavery by making the first slave owner a Jewish caricature owning a white child? What statement is made by including racist propaganda as truth?

In a movie about racism having a bigot use a slur is somewhat understandable, having all your black characters be portrayed by white guys in blackface is generally not.

Hey now, get it right: the alien who speaks with a bronx accent and owns a garage is an italian stereotype.

Anyways, in Watto's first scene, Qui-gon "I didn't actually come here to free slaves" Jinn tries to mind control the guy to accept a bad deal. Later, he cheats Watto at dice. The statement being made is that Anakin's hopeful liberator is not on the level -- that he gets what he wants through power. Watto may be a flea alien and Qui-gon may look like white Jesus, but they both suck.

Edit: I don't want to be like, "it's wrong to take offense at Jar Jar or Watto or the Nemoidians" or whatever. They absolutely are touching on racialized concepts which have had a very ugly history in science fiction. No poo poo, some people aren't going to like that and I'm in no position to tell them they can't think that or whatever.

But if we're starting from a position of "the prequels are bad but they had interesting themes and concepts" and then asking "wait what was up with Jar Jar and Watto?" Well, that's what was up with Jar Jar and Watto.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 26, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

im absolutely begging some of you to watch a a real movie at some point

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Thread challenge for July: don't discuss any Hollywood( or adjacent) movies, only discuss real movies made elsewhere.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

Thread challenge for July: don't discuss any Hollywood( or adjacent) movies, only discuss real movies made elsewhere.

Oh, I'll start!

There's a new movie coming out in Germany, about Catweazle, that weird British wizard guy. One of our most famous comedians, Otto Waalkes, is playing him in this movie.

And it kind of amazes me that apparently Catweazle has enough of a following in Germany that they made a movie out of it. From a British TV-series. :psyduck:

I seriously hope this movie will see an international release, I must know what British people think about this movie bulldozing their childhood memories :allears:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

How about we talk about Online Creators? Like I hear this guy Hbomberguy is working on a preq- no wait gently caress!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I only wish I had the capacity to talk about Onibaba and Na Komete.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hel posted:

What makes a movie real though? Are anime movies real?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Do Museums count as online creators?

The Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg has been expanding their Youtube channel and while their videos are in German, English subtitles are decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzWIB8fOEg4

I am extremely jealous of the amount of toys they have access to. And I don't mean just the models but their manufacturing abilities…

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

KingKalamari posted:

Let's see what Wookieepedia has to say about the matter

I didn't think it was possible but this is an even worse idea than "let's check the dictionary definition".

Enough people have negative reactions to the prequel aliens that I don't think you can dismiss the issue, but I do think we've subsequently entered an era where space aliens all just have the voices of Hollywood actors.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Archer666 posted:

Hollywood movies are fake, every other movie is real.

Since as someone pointed out that this is actually a thread for reviewers and since I issued the challenge let me put my money where my mouth is.

:toxx: Before July is over I'll make an at least 15 minutes long video review of a Swedish movie or I'll pay 500 SEK/50 Euro to some local (Swedish or EU) Queer organisation TBD.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Star Wars is a real movie dingus

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Libluini posted:

Oh, I'll start!

There's a new movie coming out in Germany, about Catweazle, that weird British wizard guy. One of our most famous comedians, Otto Waalkes, is playing him in this movie.

And it kind of amazes me that apparently Catweazle has enough of a following in Germany that they made a movie out of it. From a British TV-series. :psyduck:

I seriously hope this movie will see an international release, I must know what British people think about this movie bulldozing their childhood memories :allears:
Okay sure a German Catweazle movie why not?
My dad loves Catweazle, do German comedy movies have a fansubbing community?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Archer666 posted:

they are the only real movies

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Did Anakin ever end up getting that anti-escape explosive brain chip removed after he left Tatooine or is there some EU writer out there who thought it'd be a clever twist if it turned out that Watto lied about doing that to his slaves?
Presumably it was removed/deactivated when Watto lost the podrace bet.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alaois posted:

Online Creators + Reviewers V: Bollywood Month

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

A silent voice is a real good movie

fun hater
May 24, 2009

you can watch hollywood movies. i give you permission. hollywood isnt a pit where only highly polished celluloid turds emerge. try a movie from before a time period you usually watch. like try a noir or a classic movie from the golden age.

if you want a foreign movie (or a handful of criterion picks) the library app "kanopy" has a great selection. i used it to watch bicycle thieves and playtime. bicycle thieves is very dry but v good lol. would not reccomend as anyone first foreign movie. playtime was an absolute slapstick delight. highly reccomend

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fun hater posted:

you can watch hollywood movies. i give you permission. hollywood isnt a pit where only highly polished celluloid turds emerge. try a movie from before a time period you usually watch. like try a noir or a classic movie from the golden age.

if you want a foreign movie (or a handful of criterion picks) the library app "kanopy" has a great selection. i used it to watch bicycle thieves and playtime. bicycle thieves is very dry but v good lol. would not reccomend as anyone first foreign movie. playtime was an absolute slapstick delight. highly reccomend

Agreed, or also heck just sign up for the criterion channel and pick literally anything they show off on the front page. Their curation puts most streaming services to shame.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For instance, here is what the criterion channel put in a category called "Hollywood Classics"

https://www.criterionchannel.com/hollywood-classics

I haven't seen every movie in that category but I have seen a decent chunk so I'm confident in saying that just picking any of them randomly will result in some certified good times.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Macaluso posted:

The only good Star Wars thing was Shadows of the Empire on N64 cause you could input WAMPA STOMPA in the password screen and play as a Wampa

This is Star Wars Rebellion erasure.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

the best pre-code movie is "baby face" bc in the first 10 mins the protagonist learns abt nietzsche, goes "drat nothing matters", sees her dad blow up in an alcohol still explosion and goes "bad rear end! now i can live in the city"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

This is Star Wars Rebellion erasure.

Can you play as a Wampa in that

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Macaluso posted:

You can in Battlefront 2 Good Version.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fun hater posted:

"he grew a hat" is a very upsetting turn of phrase

look you don't know. maybe the small flying semtic people grow hats out of there heads when they reach a certain age.

Nuns with Guns posted:

now i am picturing some kid loving around in mos espa or whatever and finding the old control explosive device and hitting a button and half way across the galaxy, darth vader's head just bursts and he drops to the floor in his oxgen tent and its extremely audible and the guards outside just do this.
https://youtu.be/6MwgC9ew-vU?t=24

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

what about the star wars vigilante 8 game

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Unfortunately, no. But you can control Grammel. Which is just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

Does Road House count.