Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
We had a heated discussion on a local FB group about the kid drivers racing around the streets who do that rev up really fast and noisily thing and race round the streets at dusk practically knocking over little old ladies trying to cross the zebra crossing thoughtfully positioned immediately around a corner that drivers can't see around and therefore, naturally, slow down to turn round - ahem - or waking up tiny kids who had just got to sleep and so on.

There were about 300 replies with people posting photos of the licence plates of the kid drivers who think noisy engines make them look big (along with smoking) and comments along the lines of 'we know who you are'. Eventually one of the kids identified - an 18 year old - posted that the reason he did it was because he had a small penis and the noise was to make up for it. (So of course everyone pressed 'like' or 'haha'). It did die down for some months afterwards.

A couple of them did apologize and say they didn't realize how upsetting it was for people.

Page snipe: good one for this thread.

http://www.ilo.org/dyn/normlex/en/f?p=NORMLEXPUB:12100:0::NO::P12100_INSTRUMENT_ID:312232

quote:

C087 - Freedom of Association and Protection of the Right to Organise Convention, 1948 (No. 87)

The General Conference of the International Labour Organisation,

Having been convened at San Francisco by the Governing Body of the International Labour Office, and having met in its Thirty-first Session on 17 June 1948;

Having decided to adopt, in the form of a Convention, certain proposals concerning freedom of association and protection of the right to organise, which is the seventh item on the agenda of the session;

Considering that the Preamble to the Constitution of the International Labour Organisation declares "recognition of the principle of freedom of association" to be a means of improving conditions of labour and of establishing peace;

Considering that the Declaration of Philadelphia reaffirms that "freedom of expression and of association are essential to sustained progress";

Considering that the International Labour Conference, at its Thirtieth Session, unanimously adopted the principles which should form the basis for international regulation;

Considering that the General Assembly of the United Nations, at its Second Session, endorsed these principles and requested the International Labour Organisation to continue every effort in order that it may be possible to adopt one or several international Conventions;

adopts this ninth day of July of the year one thousand nine hundred and forty-eight the following Convention, which may be cited as the Freedom of Association and Protection of the Right to Organise Convention, 1948:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The absolute biggest concern in the village I live in at the moment is how fast cars drive along the main road, and how loud they are. I've spent the last two community meetings pointing out to people that the things aren't connected - everyone drives too fast up and down this road, you just notice the loud ones because they're loud. My office window looks out onto the road and it seems literally every van/lorry driver is using their phone as they speed along. And don't get me started on people using two hands to put their seatbelt on as they drive away from the shop!

What I'm saying is, a lot of drivers deserve to be dragged to the side of the road and shot - not just those in loud or rented cars - but this will appeal to some people.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I live on a main road in the centre of London so I just got use to phenomenal amounts of noise.

I haven’t got used to hayfever tho! Horrible this year but the normal pills seem to be working when they didn’t the last four or so years. It’s mostly affecting my eyes and chest rather than nose tho.

I used to get the Kenalog injection for it and it seems to be pure bottled magic - would have a nose dripping like a tap and a head full of congealed snot and within 50 minutes of getting the shot it would be completely clear. But of course it’s a big immunosuppressant so it has been completely withdrawn until COVID is “over”

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sanford posted:

The absolute biggest concern in the village I live in at the moment is how fast cars drive along the main road, and how loud they are. I've spent the last two community meetings pointing out to people that the things aren't connected - everyone drives too fast up and down this road, you just notice the loud ones because they're loud. My office window looks out onto the road and it seems literally every van/lorry driver is using their phone as they speed along. And don't get me started on people using two hands to put their seatbelt on as they drive away from the shop!

What I'm saying is, a lot of drivers deserve to be dragged to the side of the road and shot - not just those in loud or rented cars - but this will appeal to some people.

Someone was egging me on to stand for town council and I said noone will vote for me because I have a good solution to the dog poop and fast cars problems which occupy the minds of most of the denizens of our town: watchtowers manned by snipers every 200m to take out owners of dogs who don't pick up the dog poop or to take out drivers of cars with noisy engines or who drive at more than 20mph around the streets. He thought I was joking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT7Hj-ea0VE

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It is OBON day my dudes

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
its the motorbikes that are arseholes in my village. every nice evening sitting out in the garden is just relentless motorbike racket.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Azza Bamboo posted:

It is OBON day my dudes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T72TopWbXJg

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have lovely broken down Stagecoach double deckers going through the estate and past my window because people are too bone idle to walk down through the cut through on the main road.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Necrothatcher posted:

It's so obviously the result of asking a focus group of suburbanites what annoys them.
Somebody around my area keeps setting off fireworks late at night, this is obviously the real blight on our society and yet Starmer won’t do anything about it!!! :mad:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If Starmer wants to tackle noisy anti social behaviour round my bit he could start with the Orange Walks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We live in a country where people will throw a tantrum over the existence of the Brønsted-Lowry theory of acids when some prick throws drain cleaner at someone, and yet will call being asked nicely to wear a simple cloth mask during a pandemic that has killed over 800x as many people as every single mass shooting in the past 50 years (including all the ones that were part of the Troubles or were done by professionals) an act of intolerable oppression.

Maybe Kieth is replicating tapping into the rich seam of petty bullshit that Saint Tonty did.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I had nuclear hayfever this year for a week or so and I was in a country without a pollen problem. I thought it could have been the delta variant. Negative antibody test so there's something very interesting going on there.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Someone was egging me on to stand for town council and I said noone will vote for me because I have a good solution to the dog poop and fast cars problems which occupy the minds of most of the denizens of our town: watchtowers manned by snipers every 200m to take out owners of dogs who don't pick up the dog poop or to take out drivers of cars with noisy engines or who drive at more than 20mph around the streets. He thought I was joking.

Forget the town council, you'll be in Starmer's shadow cabinet if he hears you saying stuff like that

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Forget the shadow cabinet, that kind of talk will get you banned from coming over for dinner :circlefap:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

To all you hayfever sufferers, if you sting yourself a bit on the arm with nettles once a week it will completely stop you getting hayfever. This is definitely true because an old lady told me it. It will also very quickly make you immune to nettle stings, and that bit I can verify.

Edit: Fun text from our childminder. Our two year old is going through a phase of asking what's a girl and what's a boy. "Daddy are you a girl or a boy? Is Gaggy a girl or a boy? Is the shop a girl or a boy? Is the sky a girl or a boy?". We've had some interesting discussions. Another parent has "raised concerns" about our daughters repeated insistence that "not everything has to be a girl or a boy, not even people." Imagine hearing three toddlers talking and feeling the need to "raise concerns" over it!

Sanford fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 25, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanford posted:

Is the shop a girl or a boy? Is the sky a girl or a boy?
La tienda, el cielo :spain:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Der Laden, der Himmel :godwinning:

Gender is so loving annoying.

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 25, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

French chairs and tables are female, arabic & german tables are female, but arabic & german chairs are male.
A little girl (das Mädchen) in german is neuter.

Figure that one out!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Language is made up, pass it on.

https://twitter.com/Aine3333/status/1408327725203525632

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Perfidity of English on full display

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We had a heated discussion on a local FB group about the kid drivers racing around the streets who do that rev up really fast and noisily thing and race round the streets at dusk practically knocking over little old ladies trying to cross the zebra crossing thoughtfully positioned immediately around a corner that drivers can't see around and therefore, naturally, slow down to turn round - ahem - or waking up tiny kids who had just got to sleep and so on.

There were about 300 replies with people posting photos of the licence plates of the kid drivers who think noisy engines make them look big (along with smoking) and comments along the lines of 'we know who you are'. Eventually one of the kids identified - an 18 year old - posted that the reason he did it was because he had a small penis and the noise was to make up for it. (So of course everyone pressed 'like' or 'haha'). It did die down for some months afterwards.

A couple of them did apologize and say they didn't realize how upsetting it was for people.

You know as I was reading this I thought it was gonna end up with someone saying or doing something terrible but actually it sounds like a really positive interaction and outcome

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 25, 2021

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

French chairs and tables are female, arabic & german tables are female, but arabic & german chairs are male.

Figure that one out!

If it's the same as Dutch, all diminutives are neutral.
E.g. de meid (female), het meisje (neutral)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Figure that one out!

The Greek words for 'boy' and 'girl' are also not gendered (despite not being diminutives), I think this may be because small children generally weren't really gendered in a cultural sense in many cultures but others can probably say more on that subject.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

/Says it out loud
Jaw-Jaw well? ???
/says it out loud in a very stereotypical english accent
Ohhh

Honestly you did this to yourselves.

Pictured in red: good bits of england

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's definitely A Thing in Muslim communities to celebrate various events like weddings, exam results, etc - the parents will rent the kids a Lamborghini or an AMG or similar flashy, fast car. Of course this gets right up the noses of a certain type of curtain twitching notaracistbut, who are Starmers apparent only target.

Oh my god, it's definitely this. Dog whistle racism for white Batley and Spen voters. I suspect it's a bit too dog-whistley and not enough racisty though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1408363916644728837?s=19

Lmao

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Labour actually called for someone to resign?!

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1408380121464119300?s=19

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pet-ASBOs anyone?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Figure that one out!

I don't want people to be thinking about sex and children at the same time, so I have no problem with them being neuter in speech. But if an adult wants to get jiggy with the furniture, who am I to tell them no? (As long as they're not trying to gently caress the chair while I'm sitting on it, anyway.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

/Says it out loud
Jaw-Jaw well? ???
/says it out loud in a very stereotypical english accent
Ohhh
It didn't click for me the first few times, but your brain worked in Home Counties for a second, so I guess this is how memes.

Please check for fever, anosmia, and urge to sing Strong Britain Great Nation for the next 72 hours.

You can do a lateral flow test by imagining an asylum seeker rubbing a sample of mucus on a small portrait of the queen and checking for the number of lines of comment you would write about that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Noxville posted:

Do people actually rent high powered cars just to drive them fast down residential streets at night? Is this a thing that actually happens?

Yes it's very much a thing. I even remembered reading somewhere that the majority of high end sports cars you see are rental/lease.
No idea if it's true but it's certainly very common.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

arabic & german tables are female, but arabic & german chairs are male.

Der Tisch?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanford posted:

To all you hayfever sufferers, if you sting yourself a bit on the arm with nettles once a week it will completely stop you getting hayfever. This is definitely true because an old lady told me it. It will also very quickly make you immune to nettle stings, and that bit I can verify.

Honestly, from a biologist perspective, this sounds pretty plausible.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Figure that one out!

My Italian mate explained that tables are male or female depending on whether it's like an office-desk or the kitchen table

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mano posted:

Der Tisch?

Oh yes you're right. I chose the wrong type of table! (Spreadsheet type table LOL)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Not that I’m particularly invested in defending either party, but I think there’s a longstanding issue with The Sun refusing to share their front page with the BBC for reasons I can’t recall

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
uuguurughgh all cars must be futtud wuth a bluck box and harsh suntunces for people who bruck the speed lumut whilst listening to zz-top or meatloaf!!!!!!!!!! urururuuruurghghghgh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keith's just worried people will muscle in on his cyclist flattening territory.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you drive well the surveillance device awards you social credit points, let's call it Steer Karma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
After my sad post a whole bunch of thread regs shot me a pm. I think that’s really nice and I’d encourage anyone struggling to do your cry for help in the ukmt rather than through any more destructive means. I’m okay btw, just having a very hard time.

P.S. crispix please do more Keith impressions they always make me giggle more than they should hehe