Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Zudgemud posted:

Well, they did have a water shortage before so it evens out over time!

This happened here in Texas in 2015, we had four or five years of drought, and then a month of catastrophic rain that killed more than 20 people finally brought the drought to an end. The system works!

edited for source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holy poo poo 2 million people live on Crimea? I thought it was in the tens of thousands.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Holy poo poo 2 million people live on Crimea? I thought it was in the tens of thousands.

It’s the size of Massachusetts, and formerly a major tourism and naval shipping hub.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the US, EU, and UK have announced sanctions in response to Belarus' airplane piracy adventure:

https://www.state.gov/joint-statement-on-belarus/
https://belsat.eu/en/news/21-06-2021-eu-okays-4th-sanctions-package-against-pro-lukashenka-officials-companies/

not a whole lot of detail yet, but apparently a combination of sanctions on individuals and major state enterprises. neat.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
I can't believe it, it's not just a fistful of deep concerns, there might be consequences?? https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/06/21/potash-petro-products-eu-hits-belarus-economic-pillars-a74288

Crazy stuff. The funniest is that apparently Serbia of all places closed the airspace to Belavia in accordance with the general EU policy (https://www.dw.com/ru/strany-nechleny-es-prisoedinilis-k-zapretu-dlja-samoletov-belavia/a-57980655)

In revenge Lukashenka is getting people from Iraq on planes to Minsk, taking 3-6k$ from them and throwing them over the Belarus-Lithuanian border to cause a migrant crisis https://www.lrt.lt/en/news-in-english/19/1433040/minsk-is-sending-irregular-migrants-across-eu-border-says-lithuania-s-border-guard-chief

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The flaw with that plan is that he’s sending people to the European capital of anti-xenophobia and immigration tolerance, Lithuania. I’m sure Lithuanian border guards will sob uncontrollably as they deport the arrivals. Literally the only way to mess that plan up even more would be for Belarus to pay charter planes to land them in Denmark, which has a general exception from following EU immigration rules.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I think it's just a petty way of causing a bit of a hassle while ruining some Iraqi lives, that's the extent of Luka's power over his foreign enemies at the moment, which is kinda hilarious in a very dark way.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Torrannor posted:

Can NS2 even really be stopped? As far as I know, something like 95% of the work is already done. I'd guess there's a Russian company that can complete that last bit which won't fear US sanctions/is already sanctioned?

Germany is about to elect a new cadre. Merkel, with all her pros and cons, is going - to be replaced by politicians who are apathetic, spineless and at the same time borderline corrupt. The type of people where some political pressure and a handful of cash will push them in either direction.
By the way, this will become an important point for EE in the next years. You will see.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

barbecue at the folks posted:

I think it's just a petty way of causing a bit of a hassle while ruining some Iraqi lives, that's the extent of Luka's power over his foreign enemies at the moment, which is kinda hilarious in a very dark way.

Yeah, it's the scariest thing a sovok-brained grandpa can think of - brown people, he hopes that some of them will be terrorists and his enemies will beg him to keep them away. He's not wrong but he would need a lot more, people hate him way more than they fear immigrants

quote:

Germany is about to elect a new cadre. Merkel, with all her pros and cons, is going - to be replaced by politicians who are apathetic, spineless and at the same time borderline corrupt. The type of people where some political pressure and a handful of cash will push them in either direction.
By the way, this will become an important point for EE in the next years. You will see.

What's the chance of the greens being a part of the coalition? Seems like they are strategically against Russian interests, politically it would have to be at least somewhat different to the CDU-SPD coalition, right?

Somaen fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Greens’ odds are not showing a healthy dynamic for time being.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Well they're still second place, I don't follow German politics but it's looking like either CDU+Greens or CDU+SPD+FPD, right?

Really good stuff, EU sanctioned a Russian oligarch that is a close friend of Lukashenka and flew in state propagandists that replaced Belarussian ones who quit in protest last year:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mediazzzona/status/1406999341559173121

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

Well they're still second place, I don't follow German politics but it's looking like either CDU+Greens or CDU+SPD+FPD, right?

That’s right. CDU/CSU and FDP are natural allies, and in last 20 years only one coalition government was without SPD, so I only see Greens likely in government if just SPD+GRÜNE is enough to form one. And that’s not what polling or running regions elections suggest as a likely eventuality. The challenge of Greens is that Germans have very tribal voting patterns, i.e. religious people always vote CDU/CSU, union workers always vote SPD - with those two voting demographics captured, everything else can be crudely hand waved away as opportunism. For Greens to go big they need to become “young people vote for this” party, and then somehow get young people to Pokemon Go to the polls.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just came across this article on a mainstream news site: https://translate.google.com/transl..._zahranicni_kha

Seems like a typical anti-SJW rant that got picked up from Fox News and signal boosted for the EE audience. I'm pretty sure nobody here ever complained about boomer cis males IRL but somehow everyone in the comments agrees with the lady that the addressing people by their preferred pronouns is the real fascism and men are the victims

E: typos/clarity

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 23, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Somaen posted:

What's the chance of the greens being a part of the coalition? Seems like they are strategically against Russian interests, politically it would have to be at least somewhat different to the CDU-SPD coalition, right?

Aren't the Greens the reason Germany dismantled all their nuclear plants and instead must rely on local coal and Russian oil/gas? Can't be too against them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Aren't the Greens the reason Germany dismantled all their nuclear plants and instead must rely on local coal and Russian oil/gas? Can't be too against them.

Yes, they are. German Greens are the by far strongest anti-nuclear energy force in Europe.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Just came across this article on a mainstream news site: https://translate.google.com/transl..._zahranicni_kha

Seems like a typical anti-SJW rant that got picked up from Fox News and signal boosted for the EE audience. I'm pretty sure nobody here ever complained about boomer cis males IRL but somehow everyonenim the comments agrees with the lady that the addressing people by their preferred pronouns is the real fascism
That's Czechia for you. Anyhow, the woman in question seems to be a rather curious character.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Darkrenown posted:

No. For one, barely any nuclear plants have been dismantled, and coal and gas haven't replaced nuclear, and the NIMBYs in the CDU/CSU are not exactly pro nuclear either, especially not since Chernobyl rained radioactive rain across CDU/CSU heartlands.

But also, the Energiewende is being hosed by the people in government, i.e. the people who are actually in power, which hasn't included the Greens since 2005.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

anilEhilated posted:

That's Czechia for you. Anyhow, the woman in question seems to be a rather curious character.

Thanks for the article, I kind of forgot to ask about how big of a deal that lady was but just assumed she's the usual Fox guest whose goal is to expose the libs from the inside. The defector angle is very interesting too, it seems a lot of their stories turn out to be BS in general so this isn't too surprising.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The german greens are also explicitly backing arming and supporting Ukraine and the only major party to come out against Nord Stream 2. The way it was explained to me was that they're strongly anti-proliferation and it follows from that core value that letting Ukraine get invaded and occupied was a huge signal that giving up your nukes and not having them is an invitation to get invaded. In any case the rhetoric from them is very different than the SPD/CDU russia-verstehers

anilEhilated posted:

I get the point they're trying to make but

quote:

A 59-year-old woman from Hyesan who escaped in 2009 laughed when asked was anyone ever executed for watching an American movie. “How can you be executed for watching an American film? It sounds ridiculous even saying it. That has never happened before. I go to church with around 350 defectors and you ask any one of them and they will say exactly the same thing,” she told us over the phone from South Korea. Other defectors confirmed this. The Hyesan woman went on to say that people who were caught watching South Korean dramas were not executed, but were sentenced to three to seven years in a correctional center where the treatment was horrendous. “You don’t know when you will die,” she said.

I'm glad they cleared it up that it's not executions, just years of hard labor with a significant chance of death

Somaen fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 23, 2021

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Czechia. I have not seen this level of destruction in EE due to a tornado. 3 dead, about 150 wounded.

https://twitter.com/MJimramovsky/st...i-ranni-5131202

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've never seen a loving tornado in EE at all, I thought this poo poo happened in like Kansas.

https://twitter.com/nedavidlak/status/1408127335270862848?s=20

poo poo's legit, not just spinning a few leaves in the backyard.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I saw mammatus clouds in Bratislava yesterday and I thought 'uh-oh'

There were some funnel clouds, maybe even tornadoes, but I don't remember any on this scale and any that would cause this kind of disaster, this is crazy.

another video, close-up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCgK0VEl6qc

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 25, 2021

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

They do happen, just not this freakin huge! And they also tend to avoid populated areas.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mobby_6kl posted:

I've never seen a loving tornado in EE at all, I thought this poo poo happened in like Kansas.

https://twitter.com/nedavidlak/status/1408127335270862848?s=20

poo poo's legit, not just spinning a few leaves in the backyard.

There are a few dozen tornadoes each year in Germany, but they usually form away from the cities. Every few years there's a story of a tornado destroying the roofs of some houses though. And Czechia is like right next door, so it's no surprise that they get some, too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dwesa posted:

I saw mammatus clouds in Bratislava yesterday and I thought 'uh-oh'

There were some funnel clouds, maybe even tornadoes, but I don't remember any on this scale and any that would cause this kind of disaster, this is crazy.

another video, close-up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCgK0VEl6qc

The balls on this cameraman. :staredog:

gently caress off Batman posted:

They do happen, just not this freakin huge! And they also tend to avoid populated areas.

Yeah we get them here, but they hardly ever cause damage, due to being small. In my memory literally just one caused damage, and that was like 3 rural houses getting mildly busted.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Wasn't the only one either.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I was in a tornado once, on a sailboat. It wasn’t a waterspout, mind - we were traversing a forrest through a canal on the mazurian lakes. Saw a row of 100+ year old trees lining the canal snap like twigs. We were in the boat’s cabin and everything went dark - one of the fallen trees’s crowns fell on the boat and covered us in leaves and branches, but didn’t actually sink us, because the trees main weight was on the ground and not on us. We had a hatchet, and it took an hour just to cut our way out if the cabin.

There’s actually an article on the Polish wikipedia about that storm. It laid down so much forrest, the European wood market was out of whack fir a few years.

https://pl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichura_na_Mazurach_(2002)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bunches of Czechs and Germans in the midwest US. I guess y'all are getting the authentic immigrant experience while not even leaving home.

I joke, but tornadoes are loving terrifying to be in. Gone through five here in the US, two in Iowa, two in Alabama, and one in Florida. Slept through the one in Florida, only heard about it when my family called later to see if we were OK. Wide awake and a child for the Iowa ones, teenaged and hosed up in Alabama. They aren't kidding when they say it sounds like a freight train. Go outside after and there are big, heavy things impaled in other big, heavy things. Utility poles through block buildings kinda deal.

In Iowa we had regular tornado drills while at school. Inside hallways, away from windows. Kneel down with your forehead to the ground and clasp your hands behind your neck, keeping the elbows close to the body. Hth. (Good luck!)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

Bunches of Czechs and Germans in the midwest US. I guess y'all are getting the authentic immigrant experience while not even leaving home.

I joke, but tornadoes are loving terrifying to be in. Gone through five here in the US, two in Iowa, two in Alabama, and one in Florida. Slept through the one in Florida, only heard about it when my family called later to see if we were OK. Wide awake and a child for the Iowa ones, teenaged and hosed up in Alabama. They aren't kidding when they say it sounds like a freight train. Go outside after and there are big, heavy things impaled in other big, heavy things. Utility poles through block buildings kinda deal.

In Iowa we had regular tornado drills while at school. Inside hallways, away from windows. Kneel down with your forehead to the ground and clasp your hands behind your neck, keeping the elbows close to the body. Hth. (Good luck!)

Fairly specific pose - what advantages does it bring for a tornado situation?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

You get down and get small to protect yourself from flying debris, you stay in interior walls because they're stronger, you have your hands over your neck and head to provide some protection for your neck and head.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Makes sense, I was mostly curious about the hands, rest is similar to most other disaster advice.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s right. CDU/CSU and FDP are natural allies, and in last 20 years only one coalition government was without SPD, so I only see Greens likely in government if just SPD+GRÜNE is enough to form one. And that’s not what polling or running regions elections suggest as a likely eventuality. The challenge of Greens is that Germans have very tribal voting patterns, i.e. religious people always vote CDU/CSU, union workers always vote SPD - with those two voting demographics captured, everything else can be crudely hand waved away as opportunism. For Greens to go big they need to become “young people vote for this” party, and then somehow get young people to Pokemon Go to the polls.

Unless the final election result significantly differs from current polling CDU + Greens is the only possible two-party coalition, so it's the likeliest outcome imo

Fundamentally all combos of non-AfD and Linke parties are plausible tho

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The balls on this cameraman. :staredog:
I don't think it was balls so much as just pig ignorance of the danger they were in. Like 20 seconds into that I'm like 'uh, dude... that's coming right for you. Do you not see how its just slowly getting bigger and filling more of the frame, and the debris is getting larger, and uh... there goes the fence, DUDE, YOU NEED TO GET INSIDE NOW. NO, THE loving BLINDS ARE NOT ENOUGH PROTECTION INTERIOR WALLS DUDE NOT BY THE WINDOW CHRIST' *cue breaking glass*

quote:

Yeah we get them here, but they hardly ever cause damage, due to being small. In my memory literally just one caused damage, and that was like 3 rural houses getting mildly busted.
Might want to get used to it thanks to climate change you'll probably be seeing more and more of them.

Helpful video on tornado safety for my EE peeps from a Midwesterner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcTdLnrxznM

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, I meant balls in the reckless sort of way. Thanks for the video though, that’s pretty cool. Hopefully don’t have to ever recall it, but we, industrial countries, have likely hosed weather everywhere for good.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I wonder if people will take climate change seriously the day it makes us renovate the ol' dilapitated nuclear war shelters. The loving times we live in.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I wonder if people will take climate change seriously the day it makes us renovate the ol' dilapitated nuclear war shelters. The loving times we live in.

In the U.S. we just always used them as tornado shelters (in places where they commonly occur). Some still have the radiation/fallout shelter signs on them. Same for the air raid sirens.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

We used air vents of the closest bomb bunker as bottomless trash bins.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

We mostly filled ours up with concrete. It made a lot of sense to someone.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The strategy of the Russian government to spread disinfo and lies regarding covid and vaccines in western countries while at the same time trying to be #1 with sputnik and trying to sell it to other countries and also get the country's population to vaccinate with it is starting to lead to tragedy in Russia itself, there are so many dimensions to this it's hard to keep it all in mind:

1) Russia has incredibly low vaccination rates: https://slate.com/technology/2021/06/russia-covid-vaccination-rate-compulsory.html
https://twitter.com/Alexey__Kovalev/status/1407376135890124800
2) People are paying black-market services to put them as vaccinated in the internal government systems https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/06/25/russian-vaccine-skeptics-rush-to-buy-fake-covid-jab-certificates-a74348
3) Regions are starting to roll out forced vaccinations under the penalty of firing from your job
4) Putin supposedly vaccinated with a Russian produced vaccine, but did not televise it, is still bunkering up and they refused to say which one he used
5) Countries that do want Sputnik are facing unexpected and months-long delays in delivery: https://www.lanacion.com.ar/politica/santiago-cafiero-les-hablo-a-los-que-esperan-la-segunda-dosis-de-sputnik-v-nid23062021/
6) For the western audience state channels are spreading disinfo that covid restrictions are nazi-like
7) Russia is having big rear end outdoors events, no social distancing, no masks and no one is taking covid seriously:
https://twitter.com/tvrain/status/1408525950464188422
8) There will be elections in autumn and the ruling party is wildly unpopular and killing off its elderly electorate with corona and forcing government employees to vaccinate pissing them off and scaring them, so to compensate they are going after all independent candidates with fake cases and arrests
9)The bodies are starting to pile up:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MoscowTimes/status/1408546796037623816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It was such a great idea to play EURO 2020 games in St. Petersburg and with spectators. Bus loads of Finnish soccer fans went there and came back to border control simultaneously, overwhelming the testing capacity at border. Now the delta variant is spreading thanks to them and the only hope is that the fans who weren't tested will go to tests so all of the infection chains can be stopped.

But at least some bus drivers and tourist guides and travel agents got business! :dance: