Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

some plague rats posted:

I was indifferent to him until they told me he's not actually gay, he's just been doing a minstrel show the entire time. hosed up. Ban him

cumshitter is gay. you've been bamboozled by someone who probably took one of his joke posts dead serious.

cumshitter is also not thousands of years old yet simultaneously the youngest boy to have ever lived (shocking, i know)

i feel like half of these dumb forum dramas arise when people with absolutely no sense of humor wander into cspam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i like c-spam in general and i post in the trump thread. and its fine if you dont wanna post there or read it. i know its a bit insular but when i see someone i dont recognize and i click the ? and its their first post im like "Hey welcome buddy"

but i also see people describing it as this weird unintelligble source of babble where someone posts a sandwich and 8 people reply with 8 variations of "tormp" and its like, i see the peopel saying that posting alonside other trump thread regulars in other threads. i just dont understand the perception that trump thread regulars are especially weird or different they just wanna shitpost and have a general GOP thread where they can see my pillow mike's latest ramblings or a video of marjorie taylor green shouting racial slurs into the mail slot on AOC's door that dont really fall into other threads or deserve their own thread

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Homeless Friend posted:

the reason i rail so hard for it is that small cspam thread have had some pretty good rear end results for their size. it promotes cross pollination between posters, which is important for creating content imo. Look at the nathan robinson thread. fulfilled its purpose on page 3.

this... it's okay for threads to never get any engagement and die, or be entertaining for a little while and die! thinking otherwise is how you get the thread where they post trump wrong on purpose, or every sad long-term mock thread.

i made an art forgery thread a couple of weeks ago because i find the topic fascinating, some other posters seemed to enjoy it, and then it ran out of content. one of the ideal kinds of threads imo.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I think a big part of megathreads is people bookmark them and then never leave their bookmarks. It's part of the reason I asked for cool thread suggestions in here so I could read them, and people reading this thread can find them too. Venture out, read cool stuff. Don't isolate yourself.

Not every thread has to be a winner that goes forever. Make threads, enjoy things.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Athanatos posted:

I think a big part of megathreads is people bookmark them and then never leave their bookmarks. It's part of the reason I asked for cool thread suggestions in here so I could read them, and people reading this thread can find them too. Venture out, read cool stuff. Don't isolate yourself.

when baloogan was an IK his drunken solution to this was to tell people that hed probe them if they didnt make a new thread every day

obivously he was a drunk and his solution was heavy handed but, i dunno, possibly an idea of forced thread lottery. doesnt have to be good, just has to be made

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019

Athanatos posted:

Not every thread has to be a winner that goes forever. Make threads, enjoy things.

its important to read and interact with the forums the correct way

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
thread bookmarks have probably done more damage than anything else to "sa culture" as a whole. don't know what can be done about it tho.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Actually that you can't make a thread using the app in my opinion is the biggest thing that hurt SA in the last few years.
(I don't use this really popular app but I understand many do)

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

im the best poster. fight me

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DarkEuphoria posted:

the pre-modern history thread is very good, and is pretty slow moving. it’s even worth a read from the beginning, unlike a lot of the mega threads that are impossible to catch up with and should be jumped into from a few pages back, imo

on this subject a pet peeve ive had thats probably not all that important is the apparent inability of this subforum to support a modern history thread despite modern history being more on brand and also something we discuss in other threads all the time like i genuinely cant tell if theres something wrong with the thread or if people just dont see it because it doesnt get enough critical mass to be on the first page or what

for awhile there was just a single unified cspam history thread but then they got split up again because a couple people thought it was weird to have gay ancient greek memes one minute and then serious communism the next the division has also made it hard to discuss the 1619 project because it covers both pre napoleonic and post napoleonic history although rather conveniently thats also the dividing line for when the 1619 project has questionable history and correct history

of course youre probably thinking why merge the history threads when you could just make a new 1619 project slash critical race theory thread instead and uh i guess i could do that but given the running joke of how no one knows what either of these two things are id have to start off by explaining it and the easiest way to do that would just be to post 1619 project essays on a regular basis and everyone would proceed to debate shitpost and discuss yell at each other

the way im phrasing this it probably doesnt sound like a bad idea but im not super convinced anyone would actually read it is the thing

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013
Am a super lurker but spend time reading through cspam during the day. The cspam watercooler example mentioned previously is why I enjoy it the most.

I think the Gaming thread here is my favourite video game place on the site. Seems to just flow naturally and goes into interesting tangents and analysis, but still is pretty casual.

I sometimes stick my head into the trump/chat thread for something to do. Feels like I'm looking into one of those dedicated smoking rooms with it's own strange subculture and injokes, but people are mostly coming from the same ideological place so you could just hang out in there and people would be cool with it and would offer you a beer or a smoke.

Has been interesting to learn the reality of people living in America and the politics of the place. I live in Australia, where pollies are trying to pull US style culture wars and politics over here.

As far as moderation goes I think a lighter touch works better, both for punishments and thread direction. Keep the buttons for the obviously bad stuff.

World is so heavily dominated by neo-liberal and right ring ideology so it's just such a huge relief to just have a place where people can sincerely post from a leftist perspective and not have to deal with racists/neo-nazis/bigots/etc.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Voltek posted:

Am a super lurker but spend time reading through cspam during the day. The cspam watercooler example mentioned previously is why I enjoy it the most.

I think the Gaming thread here is my favourite video game place on the site. Seems to just flow naturally and goes into interesting tangents and analysis, but still is pretty casual.

I sometimes stick my head into the trump/chat thread for something to do. Feels like I'm looking into one of those dedicated smoking rooms with it's own strange subculture and injokes, but people are mostly coming from the same ideological place so you could just hang out in there and people would be cool with it and would offer you a beer or a smoke.

Has been interesting to learn the reality of people living in America and the politics of the place. I live in Australia, where pollies are trying to pull US style culture wars and politics over here.

As far as moderation goes I think a lighter touch works better, both for punishments and thread direction. Keep the buttons for the obviously bad stuff.

World is so heavily dominated by neo-liberal and right ring ideology so it's just such a huge relief to just have a place where people can sincerely post from a leftist perspective and not have to deal with racists/neo-nazis/bigots/etc.

there's like 5 people in this subforum who aren't white and middle class so its hardly a look at american life. but i guess I get the thinking

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Some Guy TT posted:

on this subject a pet peeve ive had thats probably not all that important is the apparent inability of this subforum to support a modern history thread despite modern history being more on brand and also something we discuss in other threads all the time like i genuinely cant tell if theres something wrong with the thread or if people just dont see it because it doesnt get enough critical mass to be on the first page or what

for awhile there was just a single unified cspam history thread but then they got split up again because a couple people thought it was weird to have gay ancient greek memes one minute and then serious communism the next the division has also made it hard to discuss the 1619 project because it covers both pre napoleonic and post napoleonic history although rather conveniently thats also the dividing line for when the 1619 project has questionable history and correct history

of course youre probably thinking why merge the history threads when you could just make a new 1619 project slash critical race theory thread instead and uh i guess i could do that but given the running joke of how no one knows what either of these two things are id have to start off by explaining it and the easiest way to do that would just be to post 1619 project essays on a regular basis and everyone would proceed to debate shitpost and discuss yell at each other

the way im phrasing this it probably doesnt sound like a bad idea but im not super convinced anyone would actually read it is the thing

:justpost: with the caveat that you should probably keep the op pretty slim to start with so maybe include some cliff notes

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

C-SPAM is the only left-ish space online that you can talk leftist politics in that's not jam packed to the rafters with absolute hooting maniacs, boring as gently caress, or both in equal measure. Not to say it can't use any improvement but it's pretty good, and that is miles and miles ahead of any similar thing you can find online.

I agree with Larry in that one of the issues with the forum is that there's no clear purpose. Ostensibly it's the politics shitposting forum but for reasons I think have been talked about enough (in QCS most recently) that doesn't really work without having a politics effortposting forum that's not ideologically captured, so its become the de facto leftist forum. I don't really think this is a bad thing, but I do think it sort of locks D&D in to being the liberal space and C-SPAM the leftist one. Don't know how to rectify this though.

One of the weirder things about C-SPAM as a community though is that it's fractured into like an ambient C-SPAM community and then specific-thread posters. The former is, IMO, really great and is the reason why I participate in threads here that don't really have too much of a political context (fitness, weed, etc). Lots of posters that know a ton of theory and history, or have really interesting and unique viewpoints that you can't really get anywhere else, or people that are just incredibly funny. joepinetree, cpt. obvious, lib and let die, pener, larry, homeless friend, yossarian, raskolinkov, tokin opposition etc. etc. -- there are tons and I could keep going but I never ever remember usernames and I was able to pull these off the top of my head due to them being consistently very insightful or very funny (and often both) posting in a bunch of different threads on a bunch of different topics. C-SPAM doesn't need a fitness thread but it's always fun to see eg. Alobar get hype, and I think that speaks to the strength of the subforum and for-real feelings of solidarity and community between its posters.

C-SPAM chat threads, though, seem to harbor a really weird culture and it seems like all of the bad posts and mods/IKs come from those. I don't know what drives someone to post TROUMP every six minutes and don't participate in them so I have no idea as to why and how that happens. Breaking up megathreads/chat threads seems like a good idea, IMO, but your guess is as good as mine. Anyway I don't think they're very good.

Post-flavius I think C-SPAM modding has been generally good in as much as I don't see a ton of it and the threads are allowed to react how they will to people eg. posting weird poo poo (goof on them incessantly until they get huffy and leave), and usually only probing when people spam or are especially unfunny. This isn't a really deep analysis though this is just what I've been seeing recently. I guess I'd like to see more regular moderation feedback threads that, you know, actually get listened to. I think an ideal C-SPAM would have a few chill mods who get the spirit of the forum and (relatively) lots more IKs to basically just monitor the threads they like to post in to make sure nobody's going feral, but who can also be recalled easily.

I too would like to see more threads in general even if they are low traffic and slow. The Cybernetics thread is a good example where it's 100% (as SPR said IIRC) an indoor boy nerd thread but is probably the only place in the world that has both information about, and jokes on, communist cybernetics. Same with the Marxism (also good) thread: mostly jokes and kind of chat thread-y, but can turn back into serious effortposts about theory at the drop of a hat which is very good, to me. I think it'd be good for the mods to encourage making more threads like this in general, really. C-SPAM should live up to its FYAD-lite DNA w/r/t threads. C-SPAM threadsday would be a good idea, or just any sort of community involvement in making threads and looking at the forum index.

I took a bunch of allergy meds and am about to fall asleep so this post probably sucks rear end, but here u go.

e: a bunch of posts got posted as I was writing that largely say what I tried to, which is a clear indication that our Posting Nen is fully synced and incredibly pure

I agree with this post from page 1. I don't really have good suggestions for stuff but I really like the Marxism thread here for being full of people who know their stuff or want to learn, and I've learned a bunch from following it too.

I mostly ignore the big US focused chat threads because I'm not American and frankly over-exposure to that stuff annoys me. Those threads don't bother me except when as mentioned mods who are from those posting cultures try to stomp around elsewhere and make bad decisions. Some of those instances have been mentioned here too, my memory is garbage so I can't add others but it's been a recognisable trend

When it comes to good posters there are a lot in this forum but I'm always happy to see posts from gradenko, Raskolnikov, dead gay comedy forums, Pener, Homeless Friend, larry, Tiler Kiwi, F Stop Fitzgerald, definitely lots more who I'm forgetting

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I joined cspam back when trump was running and it had the best Twitter embeds.

Its kind of evolved into its own shitposting ecology but every subforum has its own culture. If people arent breaking the rules I dont see why something has to be messed with. And if people are breaking the rules, they shoyld get got.

The chat thread does a good job of corraling the misspellings of trump and food and weed chat while the other threads thrive.

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

there's like 5 people in this subforum who aren't white and middle class so its hardly a look at american life. but i guess I get the thinking

I am most definitely white and middle class as well, so fair call.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

:justpost: with the caveat that you should probably keep the op pretty slim to start with so maybe include some cliff notes

no editorializing im just posting the original articles so we can finally figure out what the 1619 project actually is

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971652

i am sorry if this act of piracy destroys the forums but in my defense it would be very funny

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hatebag posted:

Any time mods try to change a forum they just make it worse. Just probe people who are pricks or bigots. If there's a thread you don't like, just don't look at it. Maybe they're in there posting pictures of cats and sandwiches communistically. Who cares?

this.

CSPAM has grown into a sort of meta-community under the umbrella of "political shitposting that leans hard left", and is more about having a fun time with the community on any given topic rather than strictly adhering to any given subject/topic/theme.

i think CSPAM needs staff that understands that, but also just kinda backs the gently caress off and lets the community manage itself for most things. imo the only thing that should really be moderated is spamming, illegal content, and maybe thread bans if someone is pathologically incapable of participating in established/productive threads in good faith/positive ways.

i don't see anything useful or productive coming about by trying to manage or curtail content in any way other than how its done organically already via people contributing or not.

some general stuff:
i think the games thread here is the best place to talk about the hobby online full stop.
the Epstein thread is incredibly right brained and fun
Internet C(um)ulture Warriors is a great museum of lovely grifters and terrible ideology
Cyberpunk Dystopia is a fun link/photo dump for our increasingly psychotic world
the Marxism thread is a wellspring of great knowledge that regularly teaches me interesting poo poo

i think it's awesome that CSPAM has quietly doled out over $100,000 to goons in need and Plinkey is awesome for managing it and going through the trouble of incorporating a charity to do so

could this community be better "structured" by external forces to be more on topic or productive? i guess. does it have to be? gently caress no. if people are lost when they look at the first page then they should explore more, if they don't get it they can leave, there's no shortage of people posting here and enjoying it.

edit:
with regards to encouraging or enabling more exploration in topics; it comes up often enough that I think a solution should be hammered out even if i don't really agree or care. the games thread had a 5 page tangent spitballing an asymmetrical online versus game about bigfoot trying to cum and getting interrupted by cryptid hunters and it was really funny, so threads that can kinda encapsulate that sort of old school "i have a premise that's funny, let's run this poo poo into the ground" style of SA posting would be fun.

I have a simple idea; a button on the thread list page that toggles the view to only threads created in the last 30 days and back to default, where people can easily find more tangential or focused posting to create comedy or whatever effect. i think it'd work really well, probably multiple places.

smarxist has issued a correction as of 11:52 on Jun 25, 2021

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

For my part, I don't see the existence of "off-topic" or chat threads as a problem. Which isn't to say that every such thread is good, but CSPAM is, again, a community (or rather several communities) first and a politics-focused forum second.

The problem with moderators exclusively coming from, say, the Trump Chat Thread isn't that the Chat Thread is bad. (It may well be bad. I know the current Chat Thread isn't really to my tastes, but not everything needs to be. But that's not the problem.) The problem would exist if mods were exclusively elevated from regulars in the Dems thread or the podcasts thread or the Marxism thread or I guess we have a baseball thread now, and it comes down to what you (Athanatos) pointed out about QCS a while back; people are used to both the posting and the moderation style of the places they frequent, and since the CSPAM experience can vary greatly from thread to thread we need moderation that takes more than one such experience into account.

I understand that some people would prefer a more focused forum in one direction or another, but that's where I come from. I think the people we've gathered, good, bad and indifferent, are more important than the ability to put CSPAM neatly into a little topical box.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Athanatos posted:

Hello CSPAM folks. Shine and I are admins here on SA and we need your help. Tell us about CSPAM! We want to hear good things, bad things, neutral things. I cant be a good admin and help with poo poo if I don't know about a place, so here I am.

This is your chance to write words about your home forum.

Shine posted:

Reiterating the "what the gently caress are the admins looking for?":

Out of curiosity, what is it that you're hoping to have in hand when this thread wraps up? I don't mean the feedback that you're soliciting, what specifically is it that you're hoping that the feedback defines or directs for you? And what's the outcome you're hoping for, the happy path where you have what you need and all is well at the admin level?

Are you looking to create a blueprint for CSPAM moderation? Are you trying to define where to get hands on or hands off in this forum? Are you just searching for deeper understanding of the nature of CSPAM? Are you, in fact, a CIA/FBI/D&D honeypot trying to shore up a list of posters to put on a watchlist?

I have thoughts and feedback but I want to make sure I understand the intent before I get in to any of it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my new feedback is that I like the above users av, and Root is a great game and everyone in cspam should play it

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my new feedback is that I like the above users av, and Root is a great game and everyone in cspam should play it

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm not an expert in many things but I do spend much time studying the trump/chat thread so that I can become a better (worse) poster.
Prior to finding C-SPAM I sometimes tried posting in other sub forums but I never really felt welcome or understood in those places. It seemed you had to make a perfect post or else you would be humiliated by folks champing at the bit to prove their superiority in post making or just ignored, so it was not really fun, kind of nerve-racking actually. I've been interested in laughing at absurd politics stuff since before I was posting on the internet thanks to right wing radio and it's comforting to have a place where that's kind of the baseline. A place you can post "hey what was the name of the dog Mitt Romney tied to his car roof that then got diarrhea and he had to hose it off?" and someone will know what you are talking about and answer you with enthusiasm. That's what I found with C-SPAM.

When I first wandered into the 2016 Republican Primary Thread (which eventually became trump thread) I found that place and I was warmly welcomed. I was apprehensive at first, like posting anywhere but people would say :justpost: and I would, and it was liberating. I didn't feel nervous about making a post and I could post about all the weird and funny politics stuff that has happened and continues to happen. Politics is kind of weird because it can be entertaining, but also it's very serious business that has an effect on us all. Existing in that happy medium between the two is a way to keep up with what is going on and why it matters while letting off a little steam laughing at the funnies that are present along the way so as to not become completely depressed by the state of things. The beauty of the current events/chat/trump thread is that there is always a place to talk about that latest thing or that thing you just remembered that maybe someone else wants to chat about too. Also you can whip up a stupid photoshop of a topical thing and post it there and it's not a big deal. The thread moves fast enough that it just doesn't matter if you make a bad post and I think that's good. I've seen so much hilarious content created specifically for trump thread due to it's relaxed nature and I feel like that is often overlooked by folks who are critical of it. What more could you ask for? Funny pictures are what brought many people to this website initially in the first place.

As others have mentioned, many good posters have been run off due to harassment or because they've simply had enough of the ownership and moderation issues of this website as a whole. These were many of the people that welcomed me initially and that makes me sad. However, I continue in their spirit to welcome others to come inside and have a post or two.

For those that have trouble with the trump misspellings it might be easiest to view each of those as an exasperated realization and declaration that Donald J. Trump, the game show host and the guy from Home Alone 2, became President of the United States of America and continues to wield substantial power over the modern GOP.

As for Mods talk. As long as someone is around to probe horny posting and posters that might need a break from time to time, I don't think much really needs to change. Let us be free.

I love my C-SPAM friendos and any lurker is welcome to come pull up a post and do some lmaos or a serious post or nice sandwich chat. Then maybe one day 10 years from now that lurker might be making a similar post to this one in the C-SPAM feedback thread hosted in space.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I actually recently got it and am super looking forward to playing it

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my new feedback is that I like the above users av, and Omori is a great game and everyone in cspam should play it

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
I would like to apologize to the admins and mods for disrupting their thread with my cool av from a loving awesome boardgame, but I would also like to point out that Leder games dropped a bunch of cool art artifacts onto a google drive a while back for a contest and that other neat stuff could also be used for avs and whatever, fyi.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Reading a lot of these replies has softened me on the chat threads because it's very obvious people like and care about them but at the same time its from posters I've never seen before, which kind of sucks because they'd be welcome everywhere else in cspam, too

I think some sort of structural incentive to post and make threads outside of their chat thread would help integrate the community and ideally cross-pollinate enough to dissipate some of the insular weirdness that chat threads can get. Maybe just the mods/IKs related to the chat threads encouraging people to make threads or post in related threads as chat moves in certain directions would be enough.

Even goofy stuff like a thread lottery would be cool. Stuff like that is small and dumb but I think legitimately fosters a good environment and positive interaction.

Athanatos posted:

yeah...don't do this.

Well, sorry I worded it that way I guess, but cspam is absolutely treated as a den of violent maniacs lusting for death and/or fully blackpilled nihilist doomers itching to go on forum invasions and doxx wrongthinkers.
If it's outside the scope of the thread I won't bring it up again or talk about why this is, but I sincerely hope that in reading this thread you guys recognize that it's not only harmless, but one of, if not the best internet left community out there and full of people who are engaged with and emotionally invested in it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My feedback is that I like CSPAM because I like having a place where it is equally acceptable to make one-line shitpost jokes about political topics and also in-depth effortposts about political topics. When I was younger and had more free time I used to effortpost a lot in D&D, which was fine at the time. Now I am older and more radical politically and my day job is writing and reading, I find I have less time to read and write long posts about politics, so I like having a place where I can do that if I want to but there are also other ways to engage in a community of other politically-minded people, even if what I want to talk about on any given day might be not an in-depth discussion about how ]Justin Trudeau is a bad prime minister. D&D still exists when I want to do that, and I post there as well, just probably not as often as I used to.

I should note that I also participate in other SA subforums, and I encourage other CSPAM people to do the same. I do think this forum sometimes gets too insular and people end up restricting themselves to just here. I understand that impulse, it's easy to say "well we have a sports and a games thread so I never need to go the sports or the games forum" but I think people are missing out by doing that. SA is big and has a lot to offer. That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with having sports or games threads in CSPAM. By existing in different places they naturally attract different posters, and it can be fun to talk about pop culture, or any other topic, with people who are primarily present because of a shared political interest, just as it can be fun to talk about those same topics in other forums with people who are primarily present because of a shared interest in the topic at hand.

On megathreads versus small threads, I think both have something to offer. Certain topics lend themselves well to megathreads. The Canada CSPAM thread has been the same thread the whole time, I don't think it has ever been rebooted in like the six years CSPAM has existed, and I think that's fine because it's basically a thread to talk about whatever's happening in Canada at any given moment, which would be weird to split off into a bunch of little threads. I don't really engage with US politics threads here so I can't comment on them, but I like the more topical threads like the media thread, the history threads, things like that, where the thread is loosely united around a shared theme, and might often gravitate towards a particular part of that theme (the media thread mostly talks about the US East Coast media bubble, for instance), but are open to discussions of other aspects of that theme when they come up (the media thread also talks about media from other countries). I think some of the best threads in CSPAM are small-topic threads focused on really specific things, but unfortunately the thread topics just don't lend themselves to ongoing discussion so they tend to stay small. Examples that come to mind are the periodicals thread, the real sentences written in the current year thread, and a thread I made for jokes about how the media reports on different parts of the world differently. These are topics that don't lend themselves to a lot of ongoing discussion but I think the things posted in them are high-quality, and I think there's room in CSPAM for little threads like that and big ongoing megathreads. That said, I'm often guilty of bookmark browsing and missing new threads.

Maybe we could have a stickied thread for new threads? Like if you make a thread you can post in there to advertise it or to see if people are interested before you make it, and bookmark browsers could be encouraged to at least bookmark the new threads thread so they see what's going on in the forum? I dunno, maybe that's stupid and we should just all be willing to make the extra click or two to browse the forum itself.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I only started posting in Cspam fairly recently and I like it a lot. Mods should use their buttons as little as possible, and that goes for getting rid of megathreads. There's gonna be spammy chat threads and the like and that's fine. The only problem is that they tend to dominate the listings because they are constantly bumped. I don't know the best way to handle that, someone mentioned creating a subforum but I dunno if that's gonna increase traffic to smaller threads or just bury them.

Maybe a smarter method is to have mods/iks temporarily sticky some good threads that are new/relevant to current events. For example, with the McCoffee guy not killing himself maybe the Epstein thread would be a good sticky for a week or too also because the Epstein thread is great and has some amazing effort posts. Unfortunately this requires a level of trust in the mod team that may not exist.

TLDR The best moderation is the least moderation Rand Paul 2012.

Efb holy poo poo ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

gudetama
Apr 1, 2021
I really balk at the idea that “doomposting” should be discouraged in favor of toxic positivity posting just because it makes people uncomfortable. the toxic positivity posting that I see about the direction of the country and the democrats makes me far more uncomfortable than the people who acknowledge that things are bad and getting worse. theres nowhere else on the forums where people can post honestly about things being bad without immediately being insulted directly and dismissed as a "doomer." that sucks!

gudetama has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Jun 25, 2021

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I'm The Chairman and you may know me from running the goon guild for hit anime simulation game "final fantasy: fourteen", where we have an offsite Discord with an active left-leaning politics discussion chat that's had a lot of the same growing pains and conflicts as CSPAM at a smaller scale, so my feedback is coming from that perspective

in CSPAM I mostly lurk but post semi-regularly in the trump/chat threads; most of the topic threads are interesting reading but I feel like I don't have anything interesting to say in them (which isn't a bad thing, I just know nobody wants my basic american dude takes on communism or ukpol or whatever), while the chat threads are just a nice low-impact place to bullshit and joke about random politics events flowing down the pipe in a place where everyone's on the same wavelength

a lot of the moderation decisions here have baffled me because they seem extremely arbitrary and out-of-nowhere, but maybe that's a consequence of there just being so many mods/IKs and the userbase being divided up into a few discrete communities with only partial overlap. I think the best moderation strategy is for mods to model the kind of behavior they want to see from others

re: people getting the angriest at sixers, I can confirm -- on that previously-mentioned Discord server, mods sometimes hand out "warnings", which are just a message from a bot to cut it out, and people get even angrier about those than a temporary mute. I don't know why the smallest stakes provoke the biggest blowouts but I think that's just human nature

re: doomposting, there's a pretty clear line between pessimism and aggressive nihilism, but most of the poo poo that's derided as doomposting is just the former and not the latter. the latter needs reining in (using means less heavy-handed than probes and bans) but reflexively punishing the former doesn't help anyone

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, sorry I worded it that way I guess, but cspam is absolutely treated as a den of violent maniacs lusting for death and/or fully blackpilled nihilist doomers itching to go on forum invasions and doxx wrongthinkers.
If it's outside the scope of the thread I won't bring it up again or talk about why this is, but I sincerely hope that in reading this thread you guys recognize that it's not only harmless, but one of, if not the best internet left community out there and full of people who are engaged with and emotionally invested in it

I genuinely wish I knew how to combat this perception given that the response in this thread to this topic from probably the most reasonable fair-minded admin we've got (no offence Shine, I think you're probably super-reasonable and fair-minded too, I just don't know you as well) was

Athanatos posted:

Yeah, this is another one of the bigger issues. There tends to be a LOT of Us vs Them that comes from "cspam." (I mean it was in this thread even, and there are reports for it right now in the queue)

It very rarely stops at quotes and callouts, and I fully understand why people report it when it happens. Some of the horrifying poo poo people have been sent in PMs because they had some dumb opinion in D&D can be a little much.

Edit: Again, "CSPAM" is in quotes here, because it's not the entire forum doing it. But it happens here, so the label gets applied.

Which reads to me like it's seen as a one-sided conflict that (a few posters in) CSPAM are instigating all on their lonesome against Poor Innocent Insert Other Subform Name Here. And while I certainly won't deny that this sort of thing happens, it's quite far from the whole story. We get "brigaded" about as often as we "brigade" (and I kind of hate that term because of what it implies about how posters should just Stay In Their Lane and certainly not post in two different forums), we get people demanding that our threads get gassed or moved to some other forum or that we be shut down on almost a daily basis in QCS (which sure isn't necessarily something that should be taken seriously, but it's probably a semi-useful barometer), etc.

We've seen in the not too distant past what happens when a single forum becomes the scapegoat for all of Something Awful's ills. I'd very much like that to not happen again to anyone, much less to my favorite Something Awful forum.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There actually isn't a single thread in CSPAM that is not explicitly political, even if the discussion at the time seems fairly casual of "off-topic". It only seems that way because you have not properly studied the immortal science of dialectical materialism and do not comprehend that nothing in our lives escapes the forces of history and power whose synthesis is what we refer to with the short hand of "politics"

as for megathreads, I don't get why they're such a worrying concern. The games megathread has actually increased my activity in the Games subforum because sometimes a fun game will come up and I'll go to the dedicated thread to discuss it when the thread moves on, something that wouldn't happen otherwise as I tend to be a bookmarks sort of guy

Mostly though I just don't see what you'd do about them, because they are forming naturally as a result of a demand for them, so unless someone has the stomach to go truly draconian they're just gonna come roaring back. I, personally, have created quite a few threads over the years and almost all have had people find them and post in them just fine. It's not too hard because the chat megathread being so active means you can just post "hey I made a thread for X, come post in it" and like 600 people see it

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Jun 25, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

docbeard posted:

I genuinely wish I knew how to combat this perception given that the response in this thread to this topic from probably the most reasonable fair-minded admin we've got (no offence Shine, I think you're probably super-reasonable and fair-minded too, I just don't know you as well) was

Which reads to me like it's seen as a one-sided conflict that (a few posters in) CSPAM are instigating all on their lonesome against Poor Innocent Insert Other Subform Name Here. And while I certainly won't deny that this sort of thing happens, it's quite far from the whole story. We get "brigaded" about as often as we "brigade" (and I kind of hate that term because of what it implies about how posters should just Stay In Their Lane and certainly not post in two different forums), we get people demanding that our threads get gassed or moved to some other forum or that we be shut down on almost a daily basis in QCS (which sure isn't necessarily something that should be taken seriously, but it's probably a semi-useful barometer), etc.

We've seen in the not too distant past what happens when a single forum becomes the scapegoat for all of Something Awful's ills. I'd very much like that to not happen again to anyone, much less to my favorite Something Awful forum.

I honestly think a huge part of that is because if you disagree in cspam you say gently caress you and argue it out. If you disagree in another sub you use the rules to win. Open aggression is preferable to the passive aggressive alternative. So both sides see "brigades" (people disagreeing with them) but it's more likely that as an outside observer who's mostly seeing the interactions through reports that it looks a lot worse from one side because the other side just tells people to gently caress off and leave until they do.

Gumball Gumption has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Jun 25, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

docbeard posted:

i mean, i think the big difference is that we do not care about people "invading" us or otherwise doing dumb forums poo poo in our direction unless it actually materially affects us. we don't complain or fill the leper's colony with "brigadiers" because we like having people show up and post here in opposition to what most people in the subforum think, we like responding to those posts. the person making the post might not always appreciate our response, but sometimes they actually do! there are cspam success stories that never rose to anybody's attention because they amount to "person posts, gets rumbled, decides they like cspam and keeps posting here". so given that we rarely complain about anybody loving with cspam, the assumption is that it's all one-sided. and it is, in the sense that only one side really cares about the "rivalry", but it's not us tbh.

i also want to address my least favorite phrase of all time wrt cspam - "posting is praxis". i see people bring this up in qcs threads all the time as though it is an Official Tenet of CSPAM and like...what the gently caress??? it's literally a joke not a statement of reality. nobody thinks their posts are advancing their political goals lol. even a few people in this thread have referenced it as though it's something real.

it just seems like our obvious jokes are taken as serious statements by people outside of cspam weirdly often and it creates an impression of our vibe that is nothing like reality

Reading a lot of these replies has softened me on the chat threads because it's very obvious people like and care about them but at the same time its from posters I've never seen before, which kind of sucks because they'd be welcome everywhere else in cspam, too

I think some sort of structural incentive to post and make threads outside of their chat thread would help integrate the community and ideally cross-pollinate enough to dissipate some of the insular weirdness that chat threads can get. Maybe just the mods/IKs related to the chat threads encouraging people to make threads or post in related threads as chat moves in certain directions would be enough.

i don't mean to be mean here, but if you really can stride into the trump/chat thread and not recognize anyone who is posting in there, you are the one that is in an insular part of cspam. most of the people who post in there post in tons of other threads. i would have said that there isn't a thread on the subforum that doesn't have trump/chat thread posters in it, but apparently that's not the case? weird.

nobody wants the topic of a chat thread to be carefully managed, or for "derails" to be encouraged to be taken elsewhere. we've tried that and people didn't like it. the wide-ranging conversation is a key part of the whole thing.

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 17:20 on Jun 25, 2021

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I don't mean to suggest there aren't any -- a lot of people in CSPAM post everywhere, which includes the chat threads. I'm just remarking on how ITT or dipping into a chat thread I see names there that I don't see elsewhere, or at the very least in the smaller threads, and I think people should be encouraged to post everywhere

Jazerus posted:

i also want to address my least favorite phrase of all time wrt cspam - "posting is praxis". i see people bring this up in qcs threads all the time as though it is an Official Tenet of CSPAM and like...what the gently caress??? it's literally a joke not a statement of reality. nobody thinks their posts are advancing their political goals lol. even a few people in this thread have referenced it as though it's something real.

yeah I loving hate the posting is praxis poo poo that gets leveled at cspam. honest to god not only would I bet good money on having the highest real life organizer to pure poster ratio, there's not an online political space of any alignment that's not more acutely aware that making da posts isn't actually doing anything than cspam.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The people who seem to really think posting is praxis tend to get run out when they burn everyone else out on their self-importance.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

The people who seem to really think posting is praxis tend to get run out when they burn everyone else out on their self-importance.

yeah like taintrunner was a genuine posting is praxis guy, but he's also literally The Racsexist Bernie Bro from that one article so...

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I like lurking cspam even if I'm a bad poster. From October - 1/6 it felt like a reincarnation of LF with a bunch of crack pinging happening, best posts on SA in years.

Given the background is... the US Capitol exploding under siege, I think most goons get this isn't the SFW space that games or gbs might be. I like the lighter moderation.

Chat thread is cool, would be cooler to have a separate chat thread + thrumpster thread given how fast it moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I like lurking cspam even if I'm a bad poster. From October - 1/6 it felt like a reincarnation of LF with a bunch of crack pinging happening, best posts on SA in years.

Given the background is... the US Capitol exploding under siege, I think most goons get this isn't the SFW space that games or gbs might be. I like the lighter moderation.

Chat thread is cool, would be cooler to have a separate chat thread + thrumpster thread given how fast it moves.

Theres a GOP primary speculation thread you could post in, that I'm neglecting because thinking about DeSantis fills me with apocalyptic dread, or you could make one. Or PM someone an OP so they can post it if you're a committed lurker