Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

Both of those yes. Sirayatech is it of stock at the moment and say they won't have any in for half a month.

That and I've been waiting for them to carry navy grey and they keep delaying
Oh crap. This is the first time they been out of stock on my resin and I need to order more right now. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

InternetJunky posted:

Oh crap. This is the first time they been out of stock on my resin and I need to order more right now. :(

Yeah I'll let you know if I sort anything out. Think I'm hunting down a different brand for now but resin availability is so over the place lately

Looking into eryone if your trying to find something. Stuff looks reasonable and I'm mixing with tenacity for strength anyways
Vvvv: drat lol, on the same page. $22 cad a kg is cheap as gently caress if I can get any sort of durability out of it

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 22, 2021

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah I'll let you know if I sort anything out. Think I'm hunting down a different brand for now but resin availability is so over the place lately

Check out https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ERYONE-Gray-3D-Printer-Resin-with_62506380769.html as well. I didn't want to link them earlier because I haven't had a chance to test their resin yet, but I had two bottles sent to me so I guess I better do that testing sooner rather than later. The price is ridiculously low so if it works I'll be saving 60% on my resin.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

OK, it's impulse buying time...some of the prime deals are bordering on too good to pass up, but expire today. The general takeaway I've seen was 'can't go wrong with mars 2 or photon mono'. Is the 20% price spread worth the minor differences?

Mars 2 - 200
Mars 2 pro - 240
Anycubit photon mono - 190

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

OK, it's impulse buying time...some of the prime deals are bordering on too good to pass up, but expire today. The general takeaway I've seen was 'can't go wrong with mars 2 or photon mono'. Is the 20% price spread worth the minor differences?

Mars 2 - 200
Mars 2 pro - 240
I like my Mono, never had any problems with it. That obviously anectodal evidence that it's good.
Something you might want to consider is that the fep on the mono is bought as an assembled product which is then screwed onto the reservoir, for easy installation. The Mars 2 uses the "normal" style fep that take more care to install.
That also means that you pretty much have to buy fep for the Mono from Anycubic.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Guest2553 posted:

Mars 2 - 200
Mars 2 pro - 240

I don't have experience with the mono specifically (just Mono SE and Mono X) but I've switched all my small machines to Mars2 Pros recently so my highly biased answer is to get that one. I've never heard of this mono-specific FEP Electric Hobo mentioned but that sounds like a pretty big pain to be honest. My Mars2 Pros all came with 3 extra FEPs as well which I didn't get with any Anycubic machines I've purchased.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If it makes any difference Anycubic has notoriously terrible customer service, although my Photon Mono works well. If you can order from Amazon then it won’t matter as much. Ordering directly from Anycubic is a pain though. They sent me wrong tracking info like three times.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i got a mono se direct from anycubic and had zero issues and love it, but i possibly got lucky

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

I don't have experience with the mono specifically (just Mono SE and Mono X) but I've switched all my small machines to Mars2 Pros recently so my highly biased answer is to get that one. I've never heard of this mono-specific FEP Electric Hobo mentioned but that sounds like a pretty big pain to be honest. My Mars2 Pros all came with 3 extra FEPs as well which I didn't get with any Anycubic machines I've purchased.
Yeah, I've never actually had to change any kind of FEP, but I'm not a fan of these semi-proprietary parts, since they always end up discontinued when I need them the most.
Anyway, the Mono FEPslook like a small pictureframe, here's a video about it https://youtu.be/kXrWJEmQxps

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I like mars 2 pro.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Electric Hobo posted:

Yeah, I've never actually had to change any kind of FEP, but I'm not a fan of these semi-proprietary parts, since they always end up discontinued when I need them the most.
Anyway, the Mono FEPslook like a small pictureframe, here's a video about it https://youtu.be/kXrWJEmQxps
Weird, and I'm glad to see anycubic dropped them. My Mono SE and Mono X both had normal FEP systems like all the other printers.

I've had a few run-ins with anycubic support now, and they are really good about responding quickly. but replacement parts can take 2 months to arrive which is just horrible. My Mono X is currently down waiting for a new screen and I had to buy a replacement off of ebay because the one coming from anycubic support still hasn't even shipped.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
My sample size is only one, but the Mars 2 Pro is the best printer I've owned.
Seriously, I'm very happy with it, the prints are super crisp, and the only problems I have had were all due to my own inexperience and not the fault of the machine. Accessories (FEP, gaskets, protectors) have been easy to find online.
I think the only thing I could complain about is that the rubber gasket that goes on the bottom of the cover doesn't stay on very well, I think I just need to glue it in place.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Guest2553 posted:

Mars 2 - 200
Mars 2 pro - 240

All good. Mars 2 is great, with the pro your basically getting a metal vat and a carbon filter

Carbon filter is basically useless, plastic vat is fine except lacks a max fill line which legitimately annoys me every day

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I ended up going with the photon mono for 200. It'll be good enough to figure if I want to cut my losses, or if I want to post-hole into a new hobby. Either way, 200 is prettymuch nothing.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Crossposting this here since I know a lot of you use flex plates

InternetJunky posted:

Lesson learned - watch out that your flex plate hasn't drifted too far to the right or left or it might catch on the vat screws (Mars2 Pro).

Screen broken and FEP torn.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That sucks!

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Oof. Hopefully too much resin didnt get inside the machine. At least the FEP is fairly easy to replace.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Oof. Hopefully too much resin didnt get inside the machine. At least the FEP is fairly easy to replace.

FEP is replaced and I have a new screen in. Printer is currently printing so I guess I'll see if a few hours.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I still have a few days before my (hopefully serviceable) mono arrives, so I've been trying to figure out what non-PPE items are worth picking up. I've gathered the following, but would like to QC it against the goon shared experience:

-Get a plastic screen protector to keep the printer guts safe, it's worth the marginal loss of light intensity.
-Pick up spare FEP and a spare vat. Sovol resin vats are recommended because they're nice and FEP sheets are a lot easier to replace.
-Flex plates are good for QOL thing at the cost of ~3mm of space, but aren't essential.
-Cure stations and ultrasonic cleaners are also make life easier but are even less essential.

I was also leaning towards using denatured alcohol or some other cleaner because IPA is still in the ballpark of 5-10 bucks a quart.

Thoughts?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Many disposable gloves and paper towel rolls. So many.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I'm in the same boat as Guest, my Mars 2 Pro arrived the other day and I'm loading up on the trimmings through amazon. Re: gasket and screen protector, I had seen some videos of Mach5ive gaskets and protectors then stumbling across this product:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096L4VFZ4/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A1N47IVLSRHTWL&psc=1

Seems to kill two birds with one stone, but figured I'd ask before I made any moderately-uninformed decisions.

I've already got a load of nitrile gloves, paper towels, IPA, a sonic cleaner and whatnot from my scale model hobby and I'm grabbing a silicon mat so messes begone.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Zodack posted:

I'm in the same boat as Guest, my Mars 2 Pro arrived the other day and I'm loading up on the trimmings through amazon. Re: gasket and screen protector, I had seen some videos of Mach5ive gaskets and protectors then stumbling across this product:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096L4VFZ4/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A1N47IVLSRHTWL&psc=1

Seems to kill two birds with one stone, but figured I'd ask before I made any moderately-uninformed decisions.

Hmmm, the one thing I would worry about with that product is that without a gasket/tape around the protector it's possible that spilled resin will wick under the protector. I know this because that's exactly what happened to me on the first protector I tried to use without sealing it some way (it wasn't this product though). This made a massive mess by the way so I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

InternetJunky posted:

Hmmm, the one thing I would worry about with that product is that without a gasket/tape around the protector it's possible that spilled resin will wick under the protector. I know this because that's exactly what happened to me on the first protector I tried to use without sealing it some way (it wasn't this product though). This made a massive mess by the way so I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

That's why I was curious, they market it specifically as a 2-in-1 "no need for our old gasket tape product!" solution, but I was thinking the same thing. The dimensions look like they're designed to cover the screen and serve as a kind of gasket tape. No reviews for it, so it could be new. I've seen decent reviews for their regular gasket tape.

quote:

ALL-IN-ONE - No need for a gasket! The Mach5ive Screen Saver is your clear screen protection solution.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

So I've been looking at eryone's color mixing resins and I was wondering. Are there any Tiny aftermarket vats out there for the mars etc?

Would be really cool to mix up tiny batches of custom colored minis for board games etc

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I got a set of stick on drawer handles for a couple bucks, it made lifting and moving my printer covers a lot easier.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

I got a set of stick on drawer handles for a couple bucks, it made lifting and moving my printer covers a lot easier.

This is a good fuckin move. I did this with some tough pla and adhesive tape. Covers get way less messy and it lets you move poo poo with one hand

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 25, 2021

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I was just a cheap shithead and kept the box it shipped in. Cut the flaps, slip it over it and bingo it fits it perfectly.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
Does anyone have any recommendations for primer that will work with resin? I’ve been using army painter spray primer but I’m switching over to priming with an airbrush and I’ve heard some primers don’t adhere well to resin

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The Baumann posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for primer that will work with resin? I’ve been using army painter spray primer but I’m switching over to priming with an airbrush and I’ve heard some primers don’t adhere well to resin

Resins from moulds will have a release agent on them that can prevent paint and primer from adhering to them. You'll have to wash them with soapy water to remove it.

Resin models from 3d printing won't have a release agent on them and in my experience can be primed as soon as they're cured. I've never heard of specific types of resin not taking primer well, unless they're coated with release agent.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

Verisimilidude posted:

Resins from moulds will have a release agent on them that can prevent paint and primer from adhering to them. You'll have to wash them with soapy water to remove it.

Resin models from 3d printing won't have a release agent on them and in my experience can be primed as soon as they're cured. I've never heard of specific types of resin not taking primer well, unless they're coated with release agent.

I figured they may have been talking about forge world stuff cause I’ve never had a problem but they also mentioned a type of primer I don’t use so I figured better check. I have some generic minis I printed off as tests so I’ll test anything on them first before I start working on actual paint jobs

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The Baumann posted:

I figured they may have been talking about forge world stuff cause I’ve never had a problem but they also mentioned a type of primer I don’t use so I figured better check. I have some generic minis I printed off as tests so I’ll test anything on them first before I start working on actual paint jobs

I prime with an airbrush and the two I've used (Stynlerez and Vallejo Mecha) both worked very well on resin prints. I'm sure rattlecan primers should work fine as well, so you should be all good!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I’ve been priming with stynilrez black and it’s worked well except the first model I painted, which it didn’t adhere to. I’m not sure if it was because I didn’t wash it well enough or because I was using water washable resin(and washing it in water) or something else, since switching to standard resin and washing in IPA I haven’t had any problems.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I use Stynylrez for plastic scale models and will occasionally have the same thing happen. Masking tape will pull up flakes or spots of the primer off of the plastic even after paint. The people in my hobby circle also experience it and chalk it up to acrylic primer.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

I prime with an airbrush and the two I've used (Stynlerez and Vallejo Mecha) both worked very well on resin prints. I'm sure rattlecan primers should work fine as well, so you should be all good!

Can confirm, I've used cheap rattlecan primers (Krylon, Rustoleum, etc.) with no problems on my prints that were done in Siraya Tech Simple, along with brush painting on acrylic primers (Vallejo, Ammo by Mig, Mission Models, Stynylrez, etc.) during rainy days (don't have room for an airbrush and dedicated spray booth).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Anyone know of any patreons that focus on minis of women?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Koramei posted:

Anyone know of any patreons that focus on minis of women?

Not a patreon but a cool KS of lady soldiers.
https://40emperor.com/collections/army-deals/products/azadi-death-front-full-army-deal

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone have experience with monocure flex 100 for minis? I'm trying to find an alternative to mixing sirayatech tenacious as it's availability is a bit spottty

E: any flex resins for that matter

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 1, 2021

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Is it normal to scratch the build plate when prying off a print, does it matter? Just did the test print on an elegoo mars 2 and some of the black paint scratched off.

E:
And lol did not adequately prepare for cleanup. Definitely need more table space and tools laid out.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

Is it normal to scratch the build plate when prying off a print, does it matter? Just did the test print on an elegoo mars 2 and some of the black paint scratched off.

E:
And lol did not adequately prepare for cleanup. Definitely need more table space and tools laid out.

It happe a but there are things you can do to minimize it for sure.

Getting a flex plate helps a ton and lets you print flat (do this, they're amazing). Otherwise, reducing burn in layer time can make removal easier as well as long as you don't lower it so much it doesn't stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

[quote="w00tmonger" post="515947271"]
Getting a flex plate helps a ton and lets you print flat (do this, they're amazing).

Wait as in, you no longer need to figured out angles and supports? Can you explain this one more?