Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Probably be cheaper to just build treatment facilities on site. I think the main problem is that it's very hard to find workers to operate the plants, and training the locals to do it is impossible because racism or something

I think the issue is that generally plant operators get a salary that individual bands can often have a hard time supporting. So even if you train someone they could get a higher paying job in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Starks posted:

I actually didn't realize the government was still fighting further reparations after Kamloops. Absolutely insane how the PM can say whatever he wants about how sorry he is for genocide while one of his ministers fights reconciliation in court. https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/reparations-residential-school-1.6050501

Ah but according to the Liberals and Cons it wasn't a genocide! Sure, when they describe with happened it accurately describes a genocide perpetrated upon a colonized people in an apartheid state, SURE, it checks every box to line up with the Geneva Convention's definition of a genocide, but so long as they never say the G-Word they never have to admit Canada perpetrated a genocide!

Honestly hope the UN and International Courts get their loving claws into this country over this.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

folytopo posted:

I think the issue is that generally plant operators get a salary that individual bands can often have a hard time supporting. So even if you train someone they could get a higher paying job in the city.

If that is the issue, pay for training contingent on the operator sticking around for a few years. Or subsidize their salary.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Holy poo poo that's a powerful image

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

pokeyman posted:

If that is the issue, pay for training contingent on the operator sticking around for a few years. Or subsidize their salary.

Yeah if Native settlements have any lack of staff for essential services because they can't afford the regular salary for that position, the government should subsidize or even fully cover that salary. Emergency services, counsellors, infrastructure technicians, everything. We literally owe the original inhabitants of this land a free ride for as long as this country exists.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Willatron posted:

Ah but according to the Liberals and Cons it wasn't a genocide! Sure, when they describe with happened it accurately describes a genocide perpetrated upon a colonized people in an apartheid state, SURE, it checks every box to line up with the Geneva Convention's definition of a genocide, but so long as they never say the G-Word they never have to admit Canada perpetrated a genocide!

Honestly hope the UN and International Courts get their loving claws into this country over this.

The Canadian state has to prosecute the individuals responsible for the genocide, or agree to forward them to the ICC. You can't bring a state to the ICC.

Hmm, I wonder why this method was chosen for the genocide convention.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why don't we just prosecute them? Literally nothing of value will be lost if every bastard responsible ends up in prison.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

PT6A posted:

Why don't we just prosecute them? Literally nothing of value will be lost if every bastard responsible ends up in prison.

Because nobody wants to piss off Catholics and lose their votes. That's the answer in a nutshell.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Get the ICC to do it. They have prosecuted others for similar crimes of genocide

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Housing Secretary Vaughan here saying that the government will do whatever it can to prop up housing.

lol to any young, renter Liberal supporters out there still thinking that the government is trying to help them.

https://twitter.com/TOAdamVaughan/status/1408470309850787843

I gotta say I'm kind of amazed the cabinet lets Vaughan go off like this, as you'd think Vaughan would be really talking himself into controversy here, but then again the Canadian media reporting on housing is so shallow and of course owned by establishment forces that don't want anything to change, so I don't think the media would even see stuff like this as a controversial story.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

It’s be nice if we could scapegoat the Catholics, but it’s not like they went rogue, they ran the schools exactly as the government of Canada wished. And all of us settlers are the beneficiaries of genocide, so who do we press charges on?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Glimpse posted:

It’s be nice if we could scapegoat the Catholics, but it’s not like they went rogue, they ran the schools exactly as the government of Canada wished. And all of us settlers are the beneficiaries of genocide, so who do we press charges on?

Just start with the RCMP and we’ll let you know when to stop

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

pokeyman posted:

It's more tricky than just that. We see the same issues trying to get doctors to move to remote and rural areas. Even when they are incentivized to stay for a couple years after training, they often leave as soon as the incentive is up. Because, really, if you're going to make good money wherever you are, it's hard to choose to be somewhere you don't want to be.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Just start with the RCMP and we’ll let you know when to stop
If only...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hey now, I met a very nice Mountie who was willing to take sexy pinup photos on the hood of her cruiser but not on Parliament Hill

#notallcops

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah if Native settlements have any lack of staff for essential services because they can't afford the regular salary for that position, the government should subsidize or even fully cover that salary. Emergency services, counsellors, infrastructure technicians, everything. We literally owe the original inhabitants of this land a free ride for as long as this country exists.

It's not just money. Plant operations isn't something you learn in a year or two and are then good to go - check the requirements for a class 3 or 4 water or wastewater operator in Ontario, you're looking at 4 years work experience as an operator in charge before you can write the exam.

Paying for training with a 'must work here for x years' doesn't work, because operators typically get poached, and employers will pay leaving penalties to get you. It's an underserved industry right now.

Add in that the operating chemicals are expensive, and all too often (this happens at small municipalities all the time) they try and skimp on reagents or maintenance or other things to save money. Indigenous communities are even more hard up for funding, and trying to dictate to a band on how to spend their money isn't going to work.

It's a systemic issue, and the whole clean water push isn't one you're going to solve without fixing a hell of a lot of other things at the same time. My job at one point was designing mobile / remote water and wastewater treatment systems - the technology exists for all of the water issues out there - but keeping the plants running longer than a year or two is the hard part.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's almost as if we need the federal government to do what governments are supposed to do, and spend the money required to operate those plants.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
It makes sense that keeping workers around would be an issue, and the ideal would be the people that want to live there are given the training they need to do this work. But that's not always going to happen of course, so I think we're stuck with the government providing the workers needed. If paying for their training isn't enough, give extra incentives for working out there. The incentives must be substantial enough that even if people are always leaving after a year or two, someone qualified will want to replace them.

This kind of reminds me of the vaccine mess we found ourselves in. Making vaccines was not financially sustainable so we dropped our capacity. But.... turns out it is a matter of national security to have that capacity within our own borders. As quickly as we bought and used vaccines, we could have got them sooner and saved a lot more Canadians if we could make them ourselves. Services that are essential for the survival of a nations' people need to be provided by their government wherever the market fails to, because it will always fail to somewhere.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Capitalists understand that money can be an incentive yet are always confused at how to motivate people.

:thunk:

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Argas posted:

Capitalists understand that money can be an incentive yet are always confused at how to motivate people.

:thunk:

That's cause at a certain point on the rich-scale people get stuck with a set of green shades over their eyes that says "NUMBER GO UP" and until they either die or their country folds in on itself nothing convinces them otherwise to stop.

aka: Eat the Rich

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

thehoodie posted:

Get the ICC to do it. They have prosecuted others for similar crimes of genocide

Beelzebufo posted:

The Canadian state has to prosecute the individuals responsible for the genocide, or agree to forward them to the ICC. You can't bring a state to the ICC.

Hmm, I wonder why this method was chosen for the genocide convention.

That's exactly why the first steps of reconciliation are happening now, slowly. In a few years, the last Indian Agents and other people involved will be dead, and there will be no one left to prosecute.

Chretien was minister of Indian Affairs during part of the 60s scoop, and 28 years before residential schools were abolished. Where's his court date?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yes, money motivates people, but how much money do you need to motivate someone to live long-term in a community that, due to historical neglect and being located in a place settlers didn't want, is frankly not a very nice place to live? Especially when they can easily make more money elsewhere and they have the money to leave?

You'd have to pay me a lot to move back to the town where I grew up, and it's positively charming and not very remote compared to a lot of the communities with serious water problems. And the cost of living is not especially high!

High pay with a rotation schedule like they do for the oilpatch camps in Alberta seems to be more feasible as a solution than "pay someone enough that they want to live long-term in a community they will eventually grow to resent."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kenney has destroyed a ridiculous amount of money

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
How bad of an investor do you have to be to turn the past year into only a 2.5% gain?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Lmao Alberta is the bag holder for dogecoin

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
CPPIB's been loving the dog too. Congrats to AIMCo for providing unmerited relative distinction.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So what was the heritage fund supposed to be used for? Is this related to those rumors that Kenney forced public service workers to pay into a retirement fund that was backed by the canceled oil pipelines?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what was the heritage fund supposed to be used for? Is this related to those rumors that Kenney forced public service workers to pay into a retirement fund that was backed by the canceled oil pipelines?

Well I’m sure it wasn’t for Hate. Says so right on their T shirts

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was supposed to be a dividend returning sovereign wealth fund that would continue to generate cash whenever the oil money inevitably ran out. Was started by a PC premier even. See: Norway.

But our generations worth of conservative governments were so loving stupid that they decided it would be better to not charge any royalties on the oil, AND pilfer the fund so that we could maintain a flat tax.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

tagesschau posted:

How bad of an investor do you have to be to turn the past year into only a 2.5% gain?

They bought GME at peak price

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

PittTheElder posted:

It was supposed to be a dividend returning sovereign wealth fund that would continue to generate cash whenever the oil money inevitably ran out. Was started by a PC premier even. See: Norway.

But our generations worth of conservative governments were so loving stupid that they decided it would be better to not charge any royalties on the oil, AND pilfer the fund so that we could maintain a flat tax.

But I got $400 dollars that one time!

In any normal government term, bungling the investment institution that manages not only the heritage fund, but also three large public sector pension plans (by government decree of course) and any future Alberta Pension Plan (to replace CPP), would be front page news but I totally forgot about the UCP loving that all up until right now. It really is amazing how incompetent Kenney's government is.

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 27, 2021

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I can't remember if the heritage fund is the same as the pension fund, but all they might have done is heavily invest in Alberta Oil companies. :wtc: so when those guys run out of money the province runs out of money. Which was a nice kickback scheme to plunder a fund by trying to shore up coincidentally UCP linked businesses that went bankrupt.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Isn't one of the aimco PMs a 25 year old shitlord?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

tagesschau posted:

Well, start by blowing a few billion on a bad investment...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ceo-leaving-aimco-in-wake-of-2-1-billion-investment-loss-1.5807217

"AIMCo has been under scrutiny since the spring, when investment managers lost $2.1 billion on a risky investment strategy known as VOLTS. The strategy cost the Heritage fund $411 million, and was partly responsible for Alberta's nest egg hitting its lowest value in eight years this spring."

I'm sure there's plenty more

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Wow I outperformed AIMco lmao

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

I can't remember if the heritage fund is the same as the pension fund, but all they might have done is heavily invest in Alberta Oil companies

Nah the heritage fund is the older one and seperate from the pension funds, but yes they absolutely did that with the pension plans and almost certainly did that with the heritage fund.

The teachers used to be able to invest their own pension fund, but as of 2019 the UCP legislated that they must use AIMCo (who also manages the Heritage Fund) and as you say they absolutely used that money to try and prop up failing UCP aligned businesses.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 27, 2021

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Nah the heritage fund is the older one and seperate from the pension funds, but yes they absolutely did that with the pension plans and almost certainly did that with the heritage fund.

The teachers used to be able to invest their own pension fund, but as of 2019 the UCP legislated that they must use AIMCo (who also manages the Heritage Fund) and as you say they absolutely used that money to try and prop up failing UCP aligned businesses.

When the big losses first came out last year I asked a friend of mine who works at a pension management company about and they said it was wild. That their pension investments have very strict rules about allowed risk and they were amazed that AIMCO was able to make those investments.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Lol oh yeah that was the pension that bought into a bunch of pipelines

If there's one thing I want my pension plan investing in, it's oil and gas pipelines

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I do literally nothing in terms of managing my investments besides making additional purchases in the same index funds and my returns for 2020 were 10.15% and 16.21% so far this year.

They should probably hire me to continue to just do nothing or take some lessons from OTPP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
To be fair they have to be much more conservative at investing to preserve capital. But buying pipelines.. is not that