Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/eOSgSJv.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

ty for destroying everyones hearing on the beach

schmug
May 20, 2007

Couple weeks ago I posted some delivery pics of a machine that our company purchased. I updated the thread in DIY if anyone is interested. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970425

But here is some actual OSHA from our IT guy punching down some wires for communication to it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what's the OSHA bit? no harness and helmet?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

what's the OSHA bit? no harness and helmet?

Not required on a scissors lift. Gate chain not connected maybe.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm a fan of policies that say tie off on scissor lifts anyway. You can technically set it up so that when it's raised and parked it's the right walking-working surface for the job but being real about using them, their rear end is gonna be half out as they lean alllll the way over because they parked 1 ft off what they should have and they don't want to lower and scoot it again to get it in the right place.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

PPE is not a substitute for proper work practices and shouldn't be relied on as such

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Scholtz posted:

PPE is not a substitute for proper work practices and shouldn't be relied on as such

what if the perfect PPE existed though?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEUOW7cERI

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Scholtz posted:

I think these are my own words being used against me. But I'd consider the correct operating practices of using a scissorlift without fallpro are too narrow to fit into the mental load of a someone just doing their job. The scissorlift is the quickest tool for the job, not the best, so I'd rather not leave enough rope to hang yourself. I'd also accept just building scaffolding everytime which is the best tool but apparently that's too slow?

Anyway it's a complex subject that noone can agree whether PPE is an engineered control or dangerous tools of lax discipline. Do seat belts make people worse drivers? Probably, but the benefits outweigh the risks.

E. I mean you can still coach them to site their lift better if they are hanging their whole rear end out while wearing fallpro but there's a better place to park the thing for what they're doing. PPE and discipline are two great tastes that go together.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 25, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Boom lifts are fun. That is all.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

devmd01 posted:

Ok boomlift.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Not required on a scissors lift. Gate chain not connected maybe.

Should be wearing a helmet, at least.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lol

I just caught up with the thread and I love it so much - so many experts on this stuff and I'm learning a lot. The SmarterEveryDay links from a few pages back about the submarine were fantastic and very approachable. I wish I had some of those computer animations to explain things while I was getting my Dolphins. 20 years in the Navy and I have a slew of OSHA poo poo. I was mainly a submariner but my first tour was on an Amphib tank landing ship. Here's a story that stands out from 30 years ago:

I was working for the Gunner's Division and the senior E6 "Leader" was kind of a mess. The division was given an office one level below the bridge. One day he decided we needed an outlet moved so he went to the circuit breaker and turned off the power. A few minutes later it was back on so he went and turned it off again. What he didn't know is that the bridge was doing pinpoint anchoring for an inspector and the fuse also controlled one of the doohickeys on the bridge for monitoring ship's position. When it lost power they sent someone to check the fuse and reset it. So my guy hosed up the precision anchoring TWICE. After the second time he went out and told the sailor flipping it back on that he needed it off. No tag out procedure necessary.

They took him to Captain's Mast.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

devmd01 posted:

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M4MtI0A1DA

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

They took him to Captain's Mast.

Does this mean he got promoted or like, tied to the mast pirate style?

e:
It would also be a great nautical strip club name

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Does this mean he got promoted or like, tied to the mast pirate style?

In the Navy when you gently caress up badly enough you get to stand in front of the Captain while the charges are read and your chain of command either says "hey this was a one time deal, it's not really a problem" or "Sailor is too hosed up for redemption." There are different penalties the Captain can give out but the best part is that the rules of evidence don't apply so it doesn't matter if you have proof you didn't gently caress up, if they want you to suffer you get to suffer. HE got a warning since he was very senior, wasn't going to advance and was about to retire. Anyway that's a small explanation of what a Captain's Mast is. I worked for the CO at two different commands as the Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor and have been to many, many Masts. Thankfully none of them mine, but I got close a few times.

I should have explained that better, sorry.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

devmd01 posted:

That's not all.

They're also dangerous!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Oh, so that's what a pallet jack is.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Those pallets look to be strong, in good condition and neatly stacked. Wheels are chocked. Hell, put some screws into each pallet holding it to the one lower and I'd help a friend under it.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

The Blue Angels do this fairly often on the gulf coast beaches of Alabama/Florida and it's not really any louder than being sort of close to an airport. It's not like they're going full afterburner or anything.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Snake Dance posted:

The Blue Angels do this fairly often on the gulf coast beaches of Alabama/Florida and it's not really any louder than being sort of close to an airport. It's not like they're going full afterburner or anything.

Also something I couldn't figure out but I always noticed the F-16's sounded way louder even though the F-18's had two of those engines....

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm not sure what part of a jet engine makes the most noise, but maybe the noise doesn't scale linearly with the power output - so one at high power is more noisy than two at half that?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Computer viking posted:

I'm not sure what part of a jet engine makes the most noise, but maybe the noise doesn't scale linearly with the power output - so one at high power is more noisy than two at half that?

I've heard that it's the way the ambient air rejoins with the accelerated stream that causes the most noise for turbofans, which was mentioned in passing about commercial airline designs. So yea I can totally seeing various designs having side effects on the noise level, which probably isn't priority for a military craft.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 25, 2021

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

schmug posted:

But here is some actual OSHA from our IT guy punching down some wires for communication to it.

Since it is an IT guy up there, I am guessing he thought Birkenstocks WITH socks counted as 'no open-toed shoes'.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

The is sea is coming to reclaim Florida man

Other way around. You think a car full of us showing up in your town is bad news? Wait until you meet an actual, factual boat-load of us.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

madeintaipei posted:

Other way around. You think a car full of us showing up in your town is bad news? Wait until you meet an actual, factual boat-load of us.

Don't worry, one of the florida boats will go way too fast to show off and sink most of the lesser florida boats. Then we only have to worry about one of them.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's no White Line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzhlDnTv0pc

Berm Peak has a longer more POV version of the trail.

https://youtu.be/TjAJ64DJgEI

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

DandyLion posted:

Also something I couldn't figure out but I always noticed the F-16's sounded way louder even though the F-18's had two of those engines....

The engines are designed to be quiet. Acoustical vibes can destroy an aircraft engine.

The sound is made by the fan throwing air into the compressor (military fighter engines are low by-pass turbojets, not high by-pass turbofans), then shooting it out the rear end as fast as possible. Commercial engines try to move more mass, but slower. Mass flow rates can be comparable.

The flow recombination makes the noise. You're hearing the engine push on the air around the plane so hard it's like shooting a water jet at concrete.

Airframes are designed for 'low observables' so there was probably a change to make the sound less noticeable from the frontal hemisphere. The military doesn't give a poo poo if you hear the plane after it passes. It's already too late at that point.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The truck that hit the passenger bridge in DC

Note company name

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Don't worry, one of the florida boats will go way too fast to show off and sink most of the lesser florida boats. Then we only have to worry about one of them.

Lesser Florida boats are like female roaches. Tag one and a bunch of jet-skis pop out the back while it sinks, compounding the problem.

Each jet-ski you sink poops out fifty empty beer cans tied to a pit-bull. Then you get to deal with that problem

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

zedprime posted:

I think these are my own words being used against me. But I'd consider the correct operating practices of using a scissorlift without fallpro are too narrow to fit into the mental load of a someone just doing their job. The scissorlift is the quickest tool for the job, not the best, so I'd rather not leave enough rope to hang yourself. I'd also accept just building scaffolding everytime which is the best tool but apparently that's too slow?

Anyway it's a complex subject that noone can agree whether PPE is an engineered control or dangerous tools of lax discipline. Do seat belts make people worse drivers? Probably, but the benefits outweigh the risks.

E. I mean you can still coach them to site their lift better if they are hanging their whole rear end out while wearing fallpro but there's a better place to park the thing for what they're doing. PPE and discipline are two great tastes that go together.

Sorry, I didn't mean in any way to twist your words. I'm just cautious about PPE being overrelied on, leading to it being used in situations where it's detrimental to safety. With scissor lifts, they can topple the lift and create more of a hazard. Also, the picture does have fall protection; the railing itself on the lift qualifies as fallpro.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The truck that hit the passenger bridge in DC

Note company name

Always Sunny has gone too far this time.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Edit: images wont display

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Those are all on the balconies though from what I can tell (ie the saltwater corrosion the building was being evaluated for) and not part of the vertical load path, unless I am missing something.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Scholtz posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean in any way to twist your words. I'm just cautious about PPE being overrelied on, leading to it being used in situations where it's detrimental to safety. With scissor lifts, they can topple the lift and create more of a hazard. Also, the picture does have fall protection; the railing itself on the lift qualifies as fallpro.
Oh, no, you didn't twist my words. I just thought it ironic because I do a lot of PPE isn't primary protection posting in the thread.

Toppling a scissor lift because of your tie off is a series of multiple mistakes. Either the scissor lift isn't made to tie off and you did and then you fell, or the scissor lift was sited poorly on a poor grade or degraded surface and then you fell. Or you're using the scissor lift as a tie off when you are outside the deck. I see these as kind of like wearing a seatbelt when you drove your car into a river: it's made the situation worse but we didn't exactly get here easily or smartly.

Railings count as protection which is fine and why you can safely work without tie off fallpro and maybe that's fine for a lot of workplaces. But the person I think about protecting the most is the guy who's too busy doing his job to keep thinking about safety and there's a few traps for that guy. The first is the aforementioned reaching more than you ought to, which he shouldn't but probably will at some point just knowing human nature. The second is a lot of scissor lifts provision for travel above 6ft (but probably below the full range of travel) and in this case the railing doesn't count: you need to be tied off if you're in motion above your height limit. That's such a huge timesaver I don't know who is going to have the mental and safety fortitude to admit defeat and lower all the way when the controls work perfectly fine at their current height. The scissor lift people know that too and let you turn off those controls anyway, which you should probably do if you're not a tie off always on scissor lift sort of place. Or if you don't trust the average driver to know how to site it and read the deflection meter. Scissor lifts are a land of contrast I guess.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This morning I saw a box truck merrily driving along with the back door open, randomly dropping its cargo along the way

Thankfully, the cargo was big bags of packing peanuts. Even so, it's probably for the best that no one plowed into one

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Blindeye posted:

Those are all on the balconies though from what I can tell (ie the saltwater corrosion the building was being evaluated for) and not part of the vertical load path, unless I am missing something.

Those are load bearing balconies

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

a kitten posted:

This morning I saw a box truck merrily driving along with the back door open, randomly dropping its cargo along the way

Thankfully, the cargo was big bags of packing peanuts. Even so, it's probably for the best that no one plowed into one

After over a decade in the delivery business, I finally had some cargo exit the vehicle two weeks ago.

Taking a u-turn with a trailer behind me, a whole stack of empty bread trays sailed straight through the side door into a right turn only lane on a surface level highway. Luckily, they didn't enter the lanes of travel and it was in front of a disused mini-mall. In the rain.
Locked door, too. The sides of the trailer flex enough that the lock bar can pop right out of it's home. Stacked all that poo poo up and ran three bungie cords across the opening on the inside. I wonder why most of my customers nail that door shut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

After over a decade in the delivery business, I finally had some cargo exit the vehicle two weeks ago.

Been doing it for twenty now, came real real close a couple times, but thankfully haven't actually lost anything yet.

However, just this year I've left my handcart behind 3 different times and have had to circle back to a stop to grab it. What a fun new trick for my brain to come up with :argh: