Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Russia threatening to bomb British ships if they sail into Russian-claimed waters again is a rather serious threat. Either they're bluffing and going to look kinda dumb when Britain does sail through again or Britain is hugely underestimating how pissed Russia is and are going get an unsupported destroyer sent to the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

comedyblissoption posted:

theres a difference between accidentally shooting down a civilian airliner down you believe to be a US bomber and intentionally shooting down a civilian airliner you believe to be a civilian airliner

CBC is apparently alleging the latter without evidence

if you cant see why the distinction matters in the news then lmao

lobster shirt posted:

also probably worth noting that the plane was shot down right after iran launched a bunch of missiles at us bases in iraq and so everyone was on even higher alert htan normal

Exactly. Trying to cudgel Iran for the unintentional unfortunate shootdown of the plane is pure libbrained "the truth is somewhere in the middle" idiocy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OhFunny posted:

Russia threatening to bomb British ships if they sail into Russian-claimed waters again is a rather serious threat. Either they're bluffing and going to look kinda dumb when Britain does sail through again or Britain is hugely underestimating how pissed Russia is and are going get an unsupported destroyer sent to the bottom.

What does ramming count as?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

for some reason this reminds me of the basketball player who got banned from the CBA for saying Chinese women got cakes on the low

there was that c list rapper who said something like "I wanna gently caress girls that look like fan bingbing" and had to go on national TV and appologize (sorry I forget the specifics but It was like that perfect blend of funny and sad)

there's also Fan Bingbing who 'disappeared' (stopped posting on social media for a few months when she was discovered to have dodges a hundred million USD in taxes). her 'reappearance' (resuming posting on social media after it blew over later that year) got no western coverage

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

who's gonna tell them about the use of solitary in US prisons
https://twitter.com/StateDRL/status/1408170670698250240?s=20

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

OhFunny posted:

no one gives a poo poo about bog island

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Antonymous posted:

there was that c list rapper who said something like "I wanna gently caress girls that look like fan bingbing" and had to go on national TV and appologize (sorry I forget the specifics but It was like that perfect blend of funny and sad)

there's also Fan Bingbing who 'disappeared' (stopped posting on social media for a few months when she was discovered to have dodges a hundred million USD in taxes). her 'reappearance' (resuming posting on social media after it blew over later that year) got no western coverage

I honest don't know how rappers and standup comic in China survive the day-to-day business operation.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

comedyblissoption posted:

theres a difference between accidentally shooting down a civilian airliner down you believe to be a US bomber and intentionally shooting down a civilian airliner you believe to be a civilian airliner

CBC is apparently alleging the latter without evidence

if you cant see why the distinction matters in the news then lmao

of course the distinction matters, you’re right. I just also think Iran did A Big Fuckup

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

(stopped posting on social media for a few months when she was discovered to have dodges a hundred million USD in taxes).

wait, 100 million in income she didn’t pay taxes on or 100 million in unpaid taxes

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

I just also think Iran did A Big Fuckup

No one is denying that... ? 🤔

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it is kind of insane to allow civilian airliners to fly above live anti-air batteries in a tense combat situation

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thatfatkid posted:

No one is denying that... ? 🤔

just making a bunch of excuses 🤔 🧐

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

what do you want people to say? What do you feel should happen?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

wait, 100 million in income she didn’t pay taxes on or 100 million in unpaid taxes

127 million USD in owed taxes yeah, imagine if a billionaire has to pay 37% of their income like a normie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that’s incredible

sexpig by night posted:

what do you want people to say?

idk exactly but certainly not “hey they were nervous poo poo happens sometimes”

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

Not buying into imperialist sabre rattling talking points =/= making excuses

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thatfatkid posted:

Not buying into imperialist sabre rattling talking points =/= making excuses

you genuinely seem to have brain damage I’m sorry for upsetting you

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Shot:

https://twitter.com/ElizabethMWard3/status/1408049671965233152?s=19

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/PstafarianPrice/status/1408063994548477952?s=19

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

63:63 comments to likes. A perfect ratio.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/hyunsuinseoul/status/1408075756018692098

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so what shes saying is china didnt destroy the mosques to genocide the ughyurs just that the mosques collapsed on their own

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Buildings in the US are made so incredibly poorly and cheaply, and landlords are such worthless dickheads that they refuse to do preventative maintenance, that it's a wonder more buildings don't just collapse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/samuraichopstix/status/1408027103929372674?s=19

When people remember the "prosperity" of the Aquino administration as low interest rates on mortgages and car loans, you sort of get a clarifying perspective on Duterte

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

you genuinely seem to have brain damage I’m sorry for upsetting you

No need for the hurtful personal comments, I'm sorry that you don't like your liberal tendencies being highlighted

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

I honest don't know how rappers and standup comic in China survive the day-to-day business operation.

there's a lot written about standup recently. In the mid 2010s there was a big standup comedy renaissance in china. I went to several shows in that time and it was generally pretty good. For the past few years there was a very popular American Idol-style show where standup comedians called Rock and Roast in English (脱口秀大会 in Chinese) where a lot of comedians got boosted.

However as things get more locked down it's getting shut out a bit. Once popular comedians are getting in trouble (either with platform moderators or just backlash on social networks) more and more.

One recently was Yang Li, a popular female comedian who made jokes about sexism in China and took shots at men with frail egos. She managed to land a big ad deal and then got crazy backlash from men on social media about it. What's even more typical is dudes doing jokes about women was very common and several comedians who's whole schtick is like "man women, they take a long time to PUT ON MAKEUP!!! lol" constantly berate her and people who support her on social media.

Of c. this kind of rampant sexism and double standards in comedy is not unique to China in the least.

For rap they pretty much all become sellouts once they're big enough. Higher Brothers, one of the currently bigger Chinese rap groups, started in Chengdu. I actually saw them at several house shows in like 2014 through 2016. They mostly rapped in Sichuanhua which acted a nice barrier to allow them to be a lot more subversive and critical than a lot of more mainstream acts.

When they got more popular, especially overseas, they even seemed to escape censorship a bit and even got brought in for questioning at a PSB station specifically for saying some stuff about how they won't be censored by the gov and they'd kill any politician who would try.

But then in 2019 through the present they seem to be towing the party line a bit more. Posting open support for the HK police during the protests in 2019 and putting Chinese flags over everything. It's understandable why they do this, and it seems to be the trend for most people in the entertainment industry once they get big enough.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

thatfatkid posted:

No need for the hurtful personal comments, I'm sorry that you don't like your liberal tendencies being highlighted

Brain damage is when rejecting imperialist apologia from a sincere truth seeker

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1408107696310607876

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this guy Fuks

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I guess he's a Volga German or something? I remember reading about this (fairly unimportant) Soviet guy in the 1920s named Shits, a Russification of Schutz

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

this is actually a big deal

because previously ukraine still had normal trade relations with russia despite the nazis

now they are impeding russian capital from ukraine things will start to heat up

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelPSenger/status/1401941217831657474

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is what I mean when I say that Duterte's bluster against the US doesn't actually mean anything in practical terms:

https://www.rappler.com/nation/afp-receives-weapons-united-states-military-june-2021

quote:

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) received P183 million ($3.8 million) worth of weapons and equipment from the United States Monday, June 21, cementing the country's position as the biggest recipient of American military materiel in the region.

Officials from the Joint United States Military Assistance Group-Philippines (JUSMAG-P) delivered the weapons Monday at Clark Air Base, Pampanga, according to the US Embassy in Manila.

The sprawling Clark Air Base was formerly the largest US military air base outside of the United States until it was turned over to the Philippines by the Americans in 1991. Clark Air Base is now under the Philippine Air Force.

The military gear comes at a time when the AFP has been overstretched defending the West Philippine Sea.

The US military delivered nine M3P .50 caliber heavy machine guns and 10 mortar tubes, among others.

These equipment were funded by both Philippine national defense fund and US grant assistance and expected to enhance the AFP’s counterterrorism and maritime security capabilities.

https://twitter.com/jairojourno/status/1407243326852534275

According to the US Embassy in Manila, the Philippines is the largest recipient of US military assistance in the Indo-Pacific region. The country has already received more than P48.6 billion ($1 billion) worth of security assistance from the US since 2015.

https://www.reuters.com/business/ae...gon-2021-06-24/

quote:

WASHINGTON, June 24 (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department has approved the potential sale of F-16 fighter jets, as well as Sidewinder and Harpoon missiles, to the Philippines in three separate deals with a combined value of more than $2.5 billion, the Pentagon said on Thursday.

The Philippines is looking for a new multi-role fighter jet and is evaluating the F-16 and the SAAB Abs (SAABb.ST) Gripen.

The announcement comes as the United States seeks to renew an agreement with the Philippines governing the U.S. troop presence in the country, which is critical to Washington’s strategy to counter ever-expanding Chinese activity in Asia.

Last week, the Philippines again suspended for another six months a move to scrap the two-decade-old Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) that had been due to expire in August.

The Pentagon said the Philippines requested to buy 10 F-16C Block 70/72 aircraft and two F-16D Block 70/72 aircraft made by Lockheed Martin Co (LMT.N). That package, which includes spares and training, is valued at up to $2.43 billion.

Despite the State Department approval, the notification does not indicate that a contract has been signed or that negotiations have concluded. Often during a competition, the department will approve exports before a winner is named.

Eric Sayers, a visiting fellow at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, said it appeared to be "a proactive effort by Washington to ensure the United States remains the security partner of choice for Manila."

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte, who has frequently condemned U.S. foreign policy while exploring closer ties with China, told Washington last year he was canceling the VFA amid outrage over a senator and ally being denied a U.S. visa. But he has repeatedly suspended the expiration date.

Gregory Poling, maritime security expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said one of Duterte’s complaints has been his perception that the United States does not provide high-quality equipment to the Philippines.

"I’d expect that the U.S. government will be looking for opportunities over the next six months to combat that perception," he said.

The Pentagon also notified Congress on Thursday of the possible sale of two missile packages to the Philippines.

One was for 12 Harpoon Air Launched Block II Missiles, two training missiles, spares and equipment made by Boeing (BA.N) and valued at up to $120 million.

Another was for 24 AIM-9X Sidewinder Block II tactical missiles, 24 training missiles and spare parts made by Raytheon Technologies (RTX.N) and valued at up to $42.4 million.

there's Greg Poling again from the CSIS

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1408379470193512451?s=19

It's a kind of a twitter thread as well

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

took a surprisingly long time to find a bad reply in there

https://mobile.twitter.com/LadyClin/status/1408383561829335041

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

"sounds like every other country" is my first thought as well

edit: also the 'something tells me the Chinese are lying about something' has become the #1 racist thing I see online now. Just a 'gut feeling' in the white mind that some other race is universally untrustworthy. I unfortunately saw a link that said 'john stewart discusses wuhan lab outbreak' on youtube and clicked it and he was like 'those wuhan scientists are liars boooowaaaa???' as if it's super obvious scientists lie if they are chinese :(

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Jun 25, 2021

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Duterte will never break with the US so long as he is at war with the heroic Filipino Maoists

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
hows this poo poo any different from american museums and historical sites and stuff?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

fits my needs posted:

hows this poo poo any different from american museums and historical sites and stuff?

the American museum wouldn’t have maxims to play with and someone would have already stolen the c96 Mauser to make a Han Solo replica blaster

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Antonymous posted:

"sounds like every other country" is my first thought as well

edit: also the 'something tells me the Chinese are lying about something' has become the #1 racist thing I see online now. Just a 'gut feeling' in the white mind that some other race is universally untrustworthy. I unfortunately saw a link that said 'john stewart discusses wuhan lab outbreak' on youtube and clicked it and he was like 'those wuhan scientists are liars boooowaaaa???' as if it's super obvious scientists lie if they are chinese :(

you see, they are only lying to save face, otherwise would bring great shame to their family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Goofy historical poo poo like this is good imo since getting involved helps people understand / appreciate history more