Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried getting gloves custom made? Google found this place, but I'm sure others exist.

https://www.ag10moto.com/en/custom-made-motorcycle-gloves.html

€180 almost seems too cheap for something completely custom.

Edit: That would be because they are not completely custom, just standard sizes with your own lovely design on. Still, I am sure someone must do it.

Megabook fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You might trawl a Renaissance Fair or SCA event and see if there's a legit leatherworker there who does better stuff than Tandy Leather kits. You'll probably have to describe in detail what you want and possibly sacrifice a glove for teardown but that may be worth looking into for full custom fit leather.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I found the one place in Canada that has the Carbon 3s in a non-clown colour scheme so I ordered them just to see if the out-the-door fit is better. I'm not giving up on the 4 Strokes but the generous return policies going around made this a no brainer.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Any recs for quick-to-detach, not-poo poo-looking, luggage? I park in my garden which has a very narrow gate (very slightly narower than the handlebars, and then I have to turn sharply as soon as the're through, so I've basically got an inch or so clearance by the time the back of the bike is coming through), so I need to be able to take the bags off and on quickly and simply. Top boxes are out - sorry top box guys but it's just not me. Doesn't need to be *massive* - 30ish litres a side will probably be more than enough, we're talking like a week's worth of clothing at most.

Massive bonus points if the luggage frames are inconspicuous as possible when not in use - the OE Ducati luggage is fantastic for this but is, as you might expect, expensive as poo poo.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I really like my sw-motec blaze saddle bags on my MT-09 for that purpose, the rails themselves are even detachable. You pretty much can’t seem them removed. If they make a system for your bike I’d check it out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a Givi rack and two different case sizes for my Vstrom, sold the bigger cases with the bike but kept the smaller ones and got a compatible SW Motech rack for the Rex.

With the Motech rack you are supposed to be able to pop the racks off for a cleaner appearance. I never do, because it was kind of a bear getting everything lined up the first time. The Givi rack I had was just tubular steel and looked reasonably clean on its own, though it did look like it was starting to rust underneath the powdercoat by the time I sold the bike. No bubbling or anything, just a weird surface tone.

Kappa are a slightly cheaper subsidiary that are compatible with Givi racks. Often they're the same drat case as a Givi.

The E/K21 and 22 sizes are plenty for doing errands around town and picking up a few bags of groceries. I have the 21s with the round top, but those seem to be discontinued by both companies.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 25, 2021

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Any recs for quick-to-detach, not-poo poo-looking, luggage? I park in my garden which has a very narrow gate (very slightly narower than the handlebars, and then I have to turn sharply as soon as the're through, so I've basically got an inch or so clearance by the time the back of the bike is coming through), so I need to be able to take the bags off and on quickly and simply. Top boxes are out - sorry top box guys but it's just not me. Doesn't need to be *massive* - 30ish litres a side will probably be more than enough, we're talking like a week's worth of clothing at most.

Massive bonus points if the luggage frames are inconspicuous as possible when not in use - the OE Ducati luggage is fantastic for this but is, as you might expect, expensive as poo poo.

Shad do a pretty understated side case, and the frame is literally just a single piece of bent pipe:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Mine

on bike (and loaded/expanded in first pic)

and removed

there is a little bar that just pops into the piece on the rear pegs, and thats basically the system for all bikes, just different angles of the support bracket

and ya extremely easy to just pop on and pop off with a sling over the rear seat, they even include some paint protection film too. They are soft luggage though if you are looking for crush proof not really it, but they are very sturdy zipped up and even expanded still hold their shape very well

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Got my Carbon 3 short gloves today and I have to say it's much closer to the feel I was hoping for than my 4Stroke2's. The clarino palm is probably nowhere near as resilient as the leather palm on the 4Strokes but I immediately felt a difference in terms of comfort on the controls. I think just that little bit of thickness difference did all the world. Unfortunately I already took the tags off the 4Stroke2's so I can't return them, but I'll keep wearing them around the house just to see if breaking in the leather makes them feel any better because honestly they are a superior glove.

In terms of size and fitment, the 4Stroke2 and Carbon 3 (both short) are almost literally identical. They both go up the wrist the same distance, the biggest difference is the hard back-of-the-wrist plate, full leather palms, and hard protector for the wrist bone on the 4Strokes. They both have the same pinky distortion control pieces, hard sliders, tough knuckles.

I'm not sure how much I'd miss the textured control grip on the 4strokes since I never had one on my original D1s.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I recall seeing some discussion here about neck gaiters or cooling scarves. Any recommendations for a cooling solution?

Would I be okay using a water-soaked bandanna?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

T Zero posted:

I recall seeing some discussion here about neck gaiters or cooling scarves. Any recommendations for a cooling solution?

That's only as good as the material absorption, but for the first 15-20 min, you have a fantastic swamp cooler inside your helmet 😎

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

That's only as good as the material absorption, but for the first 15-20 min, you have a fantastic swamp cooler inside your helmet 😎

If you live somewhere with a big freezer you can freeze your helmet too.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

builds character posted:

If you live somewhere with a big freezer you can freeze your helmet too.
Of course. But I'm talking about situation on the road where you can get it damp again from a water bottle or something

ehhhhhh
May 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i wonder if you could squeeze a camelback or similar to squirt water out onto a neck gaiter or something mid ride

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ehhhhhh posted:

i wonder if you could squeeze a camelback or similar to squirt water out onto a neck gaiter or something mid ride
Yes, it's pretty easy to do. But the damp cloth over your head is the most effective method by far. But you need to keep moving for any of this to work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any riding goggles/glasses that don’t look like weird “guy in a MAGA hat you run into at a gun range” wraparounds or ski goggles? Hoping for something that resembles aviators but hard to find.

I’ll keep using my aviators during the day since I want to be able to wear them off the bike without looking goofy. At night I guess I care a lot less what they look like since I won’t be wearing them off the bike. Just curious if there’s anything bike/riding specific that isn’t a wraparound or goggle.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 1, 2021

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
After googling I was surprised to find out there's still people making aviator-adjacent sunglasses with sidefences, like this kind of thing

The drawback to these is you will look extremely German :godwin:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Givi - or Kappa which as said is the cheaper brand but same manufacturer and their stuff is 99% as good as Givi usually only lacking a bit in design/aesthetics - is my go-to for any luggage needs. Most of their stuff detaches quickly. On my Vstrom I have the detachable side racks (so you're not running around with ugly and heavy extra metal tubes when not using them, you need a special triangular key to "unlock" them but it's quick and easy) and the E22 side boxes https://www.givi.it/prodotti-givi/valigie-laterali/0/e22 , which are cheap and cheerful and still can fit plenty of stuff. The best thing about them is that once mounted they are about the same width as the handlebars or maybe just a really tiny bit wider, so there's little to none added bulk to the bike when it comes to fitting somewhere.

Of course 44 liters of luggage isn't THAT impressive, and without a top box can be tight for a week's worth of clothing. There's plenty of other larger models too, anyway! I'm partial to the Trekker design, I have the 52 liter top box and it's awesome, but that's not for everyone and every bike.

Fake edit, I just noticed that someone already answered basically the same things :)

Phy posted:

I had a Givi rack and two different case sizes for my Vstrom, sold the bigger cases with the bike but kept the smaller ones and got a compatible SW Motech rack for the Rex.

With the Motech rack you are supposed to be able to pop the racks off for a cleaner appearance. I never do, because it was kind of a bear getting everything lined up the first time. The Givi rack I had was just tubular steel and looked reasonably clean on its own, though it did look like it was starting to rust underneath the powdercoat by the time I sold the bike. No bubbling or anything, just a weird surface tone.

Kappa are a slightly cheaper subsidiary that are compatible with Givi racks. Often they're the same drat case as a Givi.

The E/K21 and 22 sizes are plenty for doing errands around town and picking up a few bags of groceries. I have the 21s with the round top, but those seem to be discontinued by both companies.

hey Phy, I see we're of the same mind :hfive:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 1, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Renaissance Robot posted:

After googling I was surprised to find out there's still people making aviator-adjacent sunglasses with sidefences, like this kind of thing

The drawback to these is you will look extremely German :godwin:

Not bad, not bad. The only other viable alternative was those ultra-round steampunk-style glasses with the same side protection.

Though after thinking it through, I think I may have temporarily solved my issue by just throwing a pair of safety shooting glasses into my tail section. I do wonder whether the yellow tinted night driving glasses I see on Amazon are any good though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Doubtful, 90% of everything on amazon is actually just aliexpress listings with a hefty markup now, and while I do rate Chinese sellers well for some things, glasses are not on that list.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Martytoof posted:

Not bad, not bad. The only other viable alternative was those ultra-round steampunk-style glasses with the same side protection.
Those were the only things I was able to find but pretty sure you'd have to exclusively ride cafe racers if you wore those.

Also most were alarmingly cheap, so would not trust them to not shatter into a million pieces that shotgun into your retinas in the event they ever catch a rock.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually just realized that about the amazon aviators I’m wearing right now. I have a pair of 3M safety glasses i’m going to rock at night in the meantime, and revert back to just cracking the visor half an inch if I need more ventilation rather than ride with it wide open with regular sunglasses on.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

In Asia they have specialty “allergy” glasses that are normal looking spectacles, with long rubber cups to create a seal around your eyes.

As far as I can tell, they never left Asia. Allergy eyewear in the west ends up justly being rebranded/clone wileyfox poo poo.

Embrace the MAGA. Be the MAGA. It’s your only option (as far as I can tell)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I wear prescription glasses. And for bike riding, sailing and work I just shop prescription safety goggles. They can be ordered tinted, polarized, whatever you want. Some have rubber liners that really helps with anti-fog function on the water or general humidity. Highly recommend that. If you want style, they actually sell ones they look exactly like aviators. And if you ordering online, they're not terribly expensive

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
rolling up to the club with a pair of these on would certainly be A Look

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Safe sex? Safe everything, baby!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

Safe sex? Safe everything, baby!

BCGs (birth control glasses/goggles)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

T Zero posted:

I'm pulling the trigger on this today. I hope it lives up to the manufacturers promise.
https://www.alpinestars.com/products/cooling-vest

The refillable reservoir sounds like it could work?
https://lincolnshirebiker.wordpress.com/tag/alpinestars-cooling-vest-review/

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

McTinkerson posted:

I'm pulling the trigger on this today. I hope it lives up to the manufacturers promise.
https://www.alpinestars.com/products/cooling-vest

The refillable reservoir sounds like it could work?
https://lincolnshirebiker.wordpress.com/tag/alpinestars-cooling-vest-review/

Evaporative cooling vests work well in dry climates, but their performance drops off significantly as humidity rises, as you'd expect. I did a fly'n'ride to South Carolina to pick up my GS, and it was hot and muggy when I left. I had one of those cooling neck gaiters that you soak in water, wring out, and then put on your neck. It ended up just being a warm wet thing that wicked water into the neck roll on my helmet and wasn't much help in keeping cool.

The vest you linked is different from others I've seen in that the fabric facing your skin isn't water permeable, so the vest doesn't soak you. Might be nice - again, provided you live somewhere dry.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

those are some Lonely Island looking shades

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TheBacon posted:

Those are safety goggles that go over regular glasses I think.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

TheBacon posted:

You Only Live Once, that's the motto, so take a chill pill, ease off the throttle :hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Otla5157c

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I originally bought the nonoise earplugs from f9 review, but I think my ear canals are a little too big for them so I had trouble with them staying in especially after squeezing my helmet over my head. I tried the laser lites (2nd place in f9's video) and these stay in much better. It's so much better in fact, that I don't want to buy a new (and quieter) helmet anymore. I was going to eat the cost of the hjc I bought and keep it as a spare, but now I think I'll wait until next year when more ece 22.06 helmets come out.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Classic glacier sunglasses:

https://vallon.store/collections/mens-sunglasses/products/glacier-glasses

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Any recs for quick-to-detach, not-poo poo-looking, luggage?

https://kriega.com/sports/touring/us-20-drypack19

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Seconding the Kriega, I love mine. Thinking of getting a pair of the smaller ones to go on the side if I do a long tour next year.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm definitely thinking about throwing some panniers on my 650. I'll need to swap to an integrated tail light since the fender delete put the turn signal stalks in a position where they'd foul any bags but other than that I really want some place to just toss my jacket and helmet when I ride out to have lunch with friends. Not sure if I can get a helmet-sized storage for the Ninja but we'll see. The OEM bags look like comically small coffins so not looking that route.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don’t think a helmet would fit in anything other than a top case/tail bag.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

The expendable bags posted by someone earlier do accommodate a helmet

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Toe Rag posted:

I'm persistently vexed that my 40 litre panniers theoretically fit a helmet each but in practice do not because you have to get the helmet positioned exactly in the centre for the lid to close, where it doesn't want to stay if the box is mounted up on the bike, because gravity is a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shad has a 36L hard pannier that will fit an XXL helmet. It also looks like you have two floatation devices fixed to your bike.