Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Finally painted enough of these guys to where I can see how my painting has progressed; latest one on the left, first one on the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

That one on the left looks excellent.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I like the progress image!

cause I'm still a noob (still priming/assembling my collection and been a bit nervous to actually start)

1. what was wrong with the right most one? I can see it's a bit glossy but I assume just not enough layers? seems very dark too. No edge highlights
2. what did you do for bases there? Sand + glue + paint over it then put the model down?
3. is that last base one of the GW official ones? I'm so uncreative when it comes to thinking of what bases to use for units, but I've seen a bunch of tutorials

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

cause I'm still a noob (still priming/assembling my collection and been a bit nervous to actually start)

1. what was wrong with the right most one? I can see it's a bit glossy but I assume just not enough layers? seems very dark too. No edge highlights
2. what did you do for bases there? Sand + glue + paint over it then put the model down?
3. is that last base one of the GW official ones? I'm so uncreative when it comes to thinking of what bases to use for units, but I've seen a bunch of tutorials

I can’t answer for him but my best guesses:

2: I wouldn’t be surprised if it was baking soda and superglue painted over, washed, and dry brushed. You can do this before or after you put a model down. It’s probably smarter to do it after but I’m impatient.

3: the left one looks like a Necromunda base to me.

In general for bases I have gotten a lot of mileage out of baking soda, kitty litter, and superglue as described here:

https://youtu.be/XL_xRxbxnbE

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Got my Primaris Captain finished up from the Indomitus box last night. The Blood Ravens are honoured to have the "donated" skeleton of Sigismund to protect their favourite shield :toot:

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The one on the right has almost no highlights, and it's a bit too dark, like you said. I base coated everything then did a nuln oil wash over the whole mini, which really dulled everything down way too much. The gloss is from a semi-gloss varnish I only used that one time.

The bases were a combination of vallejo ground textures, with some of them ground texture layered over some light spackling I got at the hardware store. The rock the captain is standing on is all spackle I let dry, then carved into and roughed up, then covered with ground texture. Really, you could sub out the vallejo stuff with a lot of common household products, like Captain Magic said.

The last one is a GW Sector Imperialis base, with some additional ground texture rubble added to tie it in with the other bases.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Commissar Canuck posted:

Got my Primaris Captain finished up from the Indomitus box last night. The Blood Ravens are honoured to have the "donated" skeleton of Sigismund to protect their favourite shield :toot:

this is incredible. i love how you had the lightest highlighting with the lightsaber, looks sick.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

punishedkissinger posted:

this is incredible. i love how you had the lightest highlighting with the lightsaber, looks sick.

Thanks! I took a class on blending recently and decided to use the sword as practice.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Had a go at a Rockgut scheme to go with my gobbos

Not actually sure if I want to continue with that scheme. Might be a bit too Slaneesh-y

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Crosspost:
Dead Imperial Fist for a base I'm still working on.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Demilich posted:

Crosspost:

is he gonna make it?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

A primaris would’ve survived that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

is he gonna make it?

dreadnought candidate, no problem

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

do spacemarines have off-time where they can like, go skydiving, or mountain biking or whatever?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The Demilich posted:

Crosspost:

This makes me hope it’s for an IW figure.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

do spacemarines have off-time where they can like, go skydiving, or mountain biking or whatever?

Depends on the chapter broadly, but a lot of their off time is spent praying, maintaining their equipment, training, praying. They can have hobbies, like blood angels are renowned artisans, imperial fists practise s&m. A space marine's ideal holiday is purging aliens, but they can have a good time going native on death worlds hunting big game too.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
babby’s first squad

all that is left is to base with lava once I’ve settled on a method (experiments continue) and to get these transfers applied. I’ve wasted four already, they’re trickier than they look

overall I’m pleased with how they’ve turned out. They could be cleaner, the parchment is particularly messy, but they’ll do. The metal highlights turned out very subtle for some reason

bonus comparison with the aggressor from last (?) year, which was previously my only painted model. It took less time to paint these five guys than it did to paint that one. Thanks, Army Painter ‘Greenskin’ color primer spray

E: disappointed with my edge-of-the-table photos I threw together a scrappy lightbox

I don’t have enough lamps. The rock salt bedside nightlight isn’t really cutting it, they’re pretty dark

Still, looks okay after a touch up and not bad for free

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 27, 2021

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Back to painting after a five year hiatus. Painted this dude, who's BA-AD to the bone. :downs:

First try od osl, not particularly happy with how it looks in the front. Any tips? Thinking maybe it's too symmetrical?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

First squad of skelly-boys done. These are the ones from Cursed City but I like doing them so much I’ve got a whole boatload of SBGL on the way:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Is it normal to have mould growing on my homemade wet pallet after 3-4 days or has something gone drastically wrong?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Radiation Cow posted:

Back to painting after a five year hiatus. Painted this dude, who's BA-AD to the bone. :downs:

First try od osl, not particularly happy with how it looks in the front. Any tips? Thinking maybe it's too symmetrical?

OSL creates both colour and light and you've run into a pretty common issue where the unlit parts of the model read as brighter than the lit ones because you're using white highlights vs yellow ones.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Vagabong posted:

Is it normal to have mould growing on my homemade wet pallet after 3-4 days or has something gone drastically wrong?

Something has gone wrong.

After you clean it out, try adding a few drops of hydrogen peroxide your water.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Kept some momentum and finished another guy between shifts. Kinda feels like a big flat green space so he's got me thinking of ways to break up the scheme, like with alternate helmet or shoulder pad colors.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A dim orange light bobs near the ceiling of the mine. A lantern, hung by some enterprising kobold? It moves and sways back and forth, bobbing slightly in the wind. Its glow is warm, almost comforting, but as you approach a sense of unease strikes you. Your perception, heightened by the inky gloom, tell you something is wrong. It takes a second longer for you to realize that the air is still. As you freeze, the bobbing light freezes too, as if the lantern itself realizes the jig is up.

A moment later, the mines are lit up with a blinding flash...

Wanted to try something new with this one, that anglerfish lure was just screaming for some sourced lighting and I figured: why not fade the whole mini to black?

It probably would've come out better with an airbrush but I'm still pretty happy with it. Rattlecan priming worked well enough!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

A dim orange light bobs near the ceiling of the mine. A lantern, hung by some enterprising kobold? It moves and sways back and forth, bobbing slightly in the wind. Its glow is warm, almost comforting, but as you approach a sense of unease strikes you. Your perception, heightened by the inky gloom, tell you something is wrong. It takes a second longer for you to realize that the air is still. As you freeze, the bobbing light freezes too, as if the lantern itself realizes the jig is up.

A moment later, the mines are lit up with a blinding flash...

Wanted to try something new with this one, that anglerfish lure was just screaming for some sourced lighting and I figured: why not fade the whole mini to black?

It probably would've come out better with an airbrush but I'm still pretty happy with it. Rattlecan priming worked well enough!

I enjoy this a lot; it's rad as hell. The colors work well together and really sell the gribbly horror jumping out of the darkness. The only thing that doesn't quite land for me is that the black section that's supposed to be still in the darkness feels like it isn't dark enough to sell it, but I'm not sure what else you would do.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The only thing that doesn't quite land for me is that the black section that's supposed to be still in the darkness feels like it isn't dark enough to sell it, but I'm not sure what else you would do.

I agree. I hit it with some Black 1.0 which is extremely matte, but still reflective enough that you can still see the details. I've been meaning to pick up some Black 2.0 to make a better lightbox, so I think I'll do that and darken the back side.

Maybe I can weird my players out if they can feel detail they can't see.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
im in canada and concerned about my paint. can it get warm?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

im in canada and concerned about my paint. can it get warm?

Yeah man I live in Manitoba and it's like 28C right now

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Painted a bone 'ead for my bullgryns, as well as a hero forge mini for a friend's birthday

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

Painted a bone 'ead for my bullgryns, as well as a hero forge mini for a friend's birthday

Delightful as always. I know you detailed out that scheme earlier, but are the metals on the ogryn contrast?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Well, even after soaking in (watered down because i'm a moron) simple green, the primer on this dread refused to budge. So gently caress it, I painted over it. Oh and there were also a bunch of mould lines I couldn't reach to fix. Never buying a model second hand again. I get that not everyone has the time to devote to putting in effort on building and painting models, and some people just don't like that aspect. But for me that's 90% of the hobby so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but whatever.

Anyway, did some lazy free hand on this guy because I didn't feel like getting out the transfers and I already had black paint mixed with black ink on my palette

What the dread looked like when I got it

Battle Step-Brothers

Space Wolves Dreadnought family photo

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Testors ELO strips primers if you really gotta get it off. All thats left is very slight tinting of the plastic from the primer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Unless I get a really good score on a previously owned army or something I'm never ever getting a second hand model again. But if I do decide to contradict myself, I will try testors elo

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Second hand metals are so much easier to strip that I'm pretty sure it was a factor in GW switching to plastic.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Plastic is more friendly to inexperienced modelers.

"Abaddon the Armless" probably had a lot more to do with it.

Edit: And Nidzilla. They sold tons of the plastic Carnifex kit right after it came out thanks to Nidzilla.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 28, 2021

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Loden Taylor posted:

Finally painted enough of these guys to where I can see how my painting has progressed; latest one on the left, first one on the right.

That red is delicious!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Testors ELO strips primers if you really gotta get it off. All thats left is very slight tinting of the plastic from the primer.

So I'd use that on a plastic model that got a little overpainted ?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

mllaneza posted:

So I'd use that on a plastic model that got a little overpainted ?

Yup, I’ve used it a bit without degradation of the plastic underneath. Its not like simplegreen where you soak it, but you either dip it in or brush it on and let it sit for about 5 minutes before you take a toothbrush to it. Some colors I’ve noticed take an attempt or two but I’ve been left with perfectly grey models that look fresh out of the mold before.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
With the redempter dreadnought do the arms have enough motion to pose it so it looks like the off arm is stabilizing the chaingun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

MasterBuilder posted:

With the redempter dreadnought do the arms have enough motion to pose it so it looks like the off arm is stabilizing the chaingun?

I don’t think so. The right arm doesn’t have any rotation afaik, it just moves up and down (elbow and shoulder) and (at the shoulder) out.