Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

It amuses me that this sequence of events is pretty much exactly what my GM would do if the party ended up parking their rear end down instead of actually exploring the dungeon that he presented right before our eyes.

Let's see if Elan hops on the dungeon's passenger train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I do enjoy watching the fully coordinated Order at work.

And as ever actually having learned from their past experiences

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I do appreciate the confirmation that there's no "right" door. They all lead to the same place, with the same kind of extradimensional trap in between

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

girl dick energy posted:

I do appreciate the confirmation that there's no "right" door. They all lead to the same place, with the same kind of extradimensional trap in between

Of course none of them would be correct, what kind of epic level rogue would make a straightforward and easily understood gate?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My guess is Serini anticipates the order actually being competent and sets it up so she either starts taking down the order one by one or once enough of them have separated goes after the main group. ATM Elan and Haley are separated.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

girl dick energy posted:

We know that going through the doors and crossing the trap leads to tough monsters. So, I'm guessing it's some sort of shell game. Hack 'n' slash types will think that they get the prize if they open the right door or enough doors, so they keep trying, but in fact none lead to the Gate.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We're gonna get a big reveal about the Monster in the Darkness crossing off the doors... just in time for Team Evil to realize that it really didn't matter because the gate was never behind any of the doors.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Not much happening in this strip, but I did like the beat of showing how much this is a team that's been shaped by existing to oppose Xykon.

It says so much about him that they're not particularly worried that anyone is smarter than them, they worry about dudes who can make sheer brute force work.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Given Serini is a much higher level rogue than Haley and she has her mystery partner, I think this is part 2 of the Order of the Stick being neutralized one by one, though the telepathic communication might foil part of that plan.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

habeasdorkus posted:

We're gonna get a big reveal about the Monster in the Darkness crossing off the doors... just in time for Team Evil to realize that it really didn't matter because the gate was never behind any of the doors.

"Don't you get it? They tricked us! The Gate isn't behind any of the doors!"
MITD: "Wait, so I marked all those extra doors for nothing?"
*beat skip*

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Well, it was behind the doors, but the doors themselves went somewhere else.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

ZearothK posted:

Given Serini is a much higher level rogue than Haley and she has her mystery partner, I think this is part 2 of the Order of the Stick being neutralized one by one, though the telepathic communication might foil part of that plan.

Given that they're in the personal labyrinth of a high-level rogue, built around using portal/teleport traps undetectable by non-rogues to send parties into dead-ends disguised as high-level monster fights without ever realizing what's really going on, just having the party rogue taken out of commission could leave them at a very heavy disadvantage. Especially if the particular tunnel Elan is trying to lure them down just so happens to connect to the one currently being used by a certain lich sorcerer.

The party is talking a lot of poo poo about smart enemies right now, but the main schemer they've ever had to deal with was Nale, who's been portrayed as a second-rate planner for quite a while but has still managed to cause them plenty of trouble. Most times the Order's been faced with somebody who used brains rather than pure brute force and had more power at hand than a halfassed team of evil adventurers, they've fared poorly until either the antagonist lost their composure or some unexpected third-party entered the equation.

It's especially rich coming from V, who got completely ambushed by the dragon, then totally manipulated by the fiends, then fought Xykon and barely inconvenienced him at all until he was forced to give up on the head-on approach and set up a few tricks instead.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, yeah, the mere fact that the party is discussing how they could definitely beat whoever is messing with them in a fair fight, and that they can outsmart the trap they're laying, means that they're about to get schooled, but it's a nice sentiment in the abstract.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Vizuyos posted:

The party is talking a lot of poo poo about smart enemies right now, but the main schemer they've ever had to deal with was Nale,
And Tarquin, and Kubota, and Qarr, and Nokrud, and Bozzok. From their experiences so far, the expectation that they can out-think any opponent is pretty justified. The one time they would've actually faced a mental challenge they couldn't handle would have been the Draketooths, and well, oops.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CapnAndy posted:

And Tarquin, and Kubota, and Qarr, and Nokrud, and Bozzok. From their experiences so far, the expectation that they can out-think any opponent is pretty justified. The one time they would've actually faced a mental challenge they couldn't handle would have been the Draketooths, and well, oops.

Overwhelming force saved the day there I guess :v:

But really they probably would have negotiated their way out of it.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
So, the bard is trying to get them all to enter a cave. Which members of the order are going to wake up with a kidney missing?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's Candy Mountain, Charlie!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Does the Monster Manual have stats for magical Liopleurodons?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

CapnAndy posted:

Tarquin had them very nearly at his mercy until the unexpected third-party showed up to help them escape, and Nokrud nearly wiped the entire party even after the unexpected third-party showed up to give them a fighting chance. Kubota's battle of minds with Elan was going quite well (in spite of his best agent turning traitor) until a peeved elf wizard decided to kick the board over and leave. Qarr's little more than a lackey, and his current bosses' scheme has been extremely effective so far. As for Bozzok, he managed to outsmart Haley's dad, but I'm struggling to think of a scheme he's tried to use against the party that didn't boil down to "show up with someone stronger than Haley and hit her a bunch".

The main thing is that very few of the schemers have actually wanted the entire Order dead. More than half that list never clashed with the whole party, and the rest went out of their way to keep the party alive for a while first because they needed to manipulate the heroes into doing something for them (a trick which always worked).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheAceOfLungs posted:

So, the bard is trying to get them all to enter a cave. Which members of the order are going to wake up with a kidney missing?

Honestly this feels like a missed opportunity for a Plato joke. ELAN EVEN USES HAND PUPPETS.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vizuyos posted:

Tarquin had them very nearly at his mercy until the unexpected third-party showed up to help them escape,

What? There was plenty of foreshadowing!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Khizan posted:

Soon tells Miko that Windstriker will visit her in the afterlife

Soon tells Miko that Windstriker will visit her "as much as he is able", which feels very carefully worded.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Parahexavoctal posted:

Soon tells Miko that Windstriker will visit her "as much as he is able", which feels very carefully worded.

At the risk of alignment arguments, Soon was the definition of Lawful Good. I seriously doubt he'd tell a white lie for the sake of comforting an oathbreaker. Honestly it speaks to him being a good man that he had anything nice to say to her at all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tenebrais posted:

At the risk of alignment arguments, Soon was the definition of Lawful Good. I seriously doubt he'd tell a white lie for the sake of comforting an oathbreaker. Honestly it speaks to him being a good man that he had anything nice to say to her at all.

I intended to break the jewel and it was my sword that did it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sebmojo posted:

I intended to break the jewel and it was my sword that did it

And then O'Chul said "And that is as far as I am willing to go into it, less I speak ill of the dead"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yes, but when she asks if she will see Windstriker again his first words are "Of course. He has been waiting for you."

Soon doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to lie to a dying woman, especially since all it would do is make her disappointed in the afterlife when she realized that he had been lying to her.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh, forgot that bit.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm pretty sure that was intended to mean "don't expect to see him often," not "he won't be able to visit you."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah Soon there was very honest and gentle and more disappointed than anything else. He would I think have been truthful and apologetic if it weren't possible, not cagey.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

He’s as polite as possible with her, and mainly just damns her with faint praise until she unintentionally forces him to tell her that she did nothing to redeem herself… and even then, he’s almost paternally gentle with her, even though it would have been completely understandable for him to have flipped his lid at her for screwing things up as badly as she did. If anything, that was probably even worse for Miko, since his anger might have at least distracted her from realizing that she played one of the biggest roles in the fall of her homeland.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm pretty sure that was intended to mean "don't expect to see him often," not "he won't be able to visit you."

My assumption since it was posted was that divine planar animals like a paladin's mount continue to have missions and duties and will visit like a divorced dad visiting their kids.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

He’s as polite as possible with her, and mainly just damns her with faint praise until she unintentionally forces him to tell her that she did nothing to redeem herself… and even then, he’s almost paternally gentle with her, even though it would have been completely understandable for him to have flipped his lid at her for screwing things up as badly as she did. If anything, that was probably even worse for Miko, since his anger might have at least distracted her from realizing that she played one of the biggest roles in the fall of her homeland.

Tbf he probably didnt see any point in chiding her since she was literal seconds from death. What would it accomplish?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbf he probably didnt see any point in chiding her since she was literal seconds from death. What would it accomplish?

Chiding people moments before their death was literally her whole thing

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

ikanreed posted:

soons not an insufferable rear end in a top hat though

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
That's why he's Lawful Good and she's Lawful Neutral at best.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ikanreed posted:

and? soon isnt miko

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

jsoh posted:

soons not an insufferable rear end in a top hat though

Well, depends on who in his party you ask...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I dunno. Based on the limited exposure we've had, Girard kinda came out of this whole thing looking waaaaay shittier.

Our only direct exposure to Soon was a force ghost of Yoda-like serenity. For Girard all we got to see was a creepy babynapper cult.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I dunno. Based on the limited exposure we've had, Girard kinda came out of this whole thing looking waaaaay shittier.

Our only direct exposure to Soon was a force ghost of Yoda-like serenity. For Girard all we got to see was a creepy babynapper cult.

Yeah the read I ended up with was "Girard hates Soon because Soon rightfully calls him out on his bullshit and makes up a bunch of reasons why everyone else should too"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It certainly doesn't seem like anyone in the Order of the Scribble liked anyone else except for Dorukan and Lirian.