Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Well now...

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/announcements/verizon-T78-0621/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Not only that, but I was able to sign in with my VZW and FIOS credentials and got two different codes. They don't expire until 2/28/22. No clue if you can use two per account, and I'm probably going to hang onto them until another anniversary-style or Christmas event.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 25, 2021

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What if it's limited to one per account?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

What if it's limited to one per account?

Someone will figure that out eventually and I'll probably give my second code away if that ends up being the case. As it stands I've already got a T78 so I should get additional credit reimbursement.

Terms & Conditions: Offer ends 2/28/22. Good for eligible Verizon Wireless and Fios customers; one offer per eligible Verizon account. Void where prohibited. Excludes prepaid accounts. Redemption and activation must be completed by 11:59 p.m. PDT on 2/28/22 to receive services. Data rates apply. Additional terms apply. © 2012 – 2022 Wargaming.net. All rights reserved. "Wargaming.net", "World of Tanks" and their respective logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Wargaming in the USA and other countries. During gameplay, please be aware of your surroundings and play safely. Only one code per user can be redeemed for desktop version only. Lost or stolen codes will not be reissued under any circumstances. Code Expiration 2/28/22.

So I guess I'll hold onto it and give it away to someone for the Christmas event so they'll have 90 days of premium to go along with the bonuses.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 25, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Always a good time when grinding Pass points on the KV-2 and kv-2(r).

https://i.imgur.com/ERRhAul.mp4

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cool, sounds like a nice Xmas present

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Hey thanks for the heads up on that Verizon special. I just bought this phone earlier this month and this is a great deal. 90 days premium and 2.5 mil credits alone is good. But wasnt that tank only available for veterans? Glad I got it!

Edit- Wait I already had the tank. So I got 2.8k gold out of that plus the free skin. Whoo hoo!

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 25, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Katamari Democracy posted:

Hey thanks for the heads up on that Verizon special. I just bought this phone earlier this month and this is a great deal. 90 days premium and 2.5 mil credits alone is good. But wasnt that tank only available for veterans? Glad I got it!

Edit- Wait I already had the tank. So I got 2.8k gold out of that plus the free skin. Whoo hoo!

It's also a very trolly skin.

"HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT TO ME. CAN'T YOU SEE I'M A VETERAN?" :v:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I wonder how I already got it!? Im not a veteran nor never claimed to be even though I am in a Military family. That's weird.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It isn't for veterans only. :ssh:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
A story in 5 parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onD24v-OzeI

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 26, 2021

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
VMC3-ZZ6ZV-5RMVS

Here you go gluttons for punishment

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
*code already redeemed*

Rude to use it and not report it, fyi.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Game is fun sometimes

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

How is the Obj. 244?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
its a heavy t34-85 with trollish armor, so very good.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Looks more like a KV-13 at tier 6 instead of tier 7, definitely some real poo poo.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
So I was not expecting this because the grind for it has been -- well not my favorite. But the E50 M is insanely good for a Tier X medium. Its extremely flexible in what it can do that I can combine many playstyles that I enjoy into it.

The video I linked was very spot on. It can be a Heavy, a Medium, a TD, and back in the blink of an eye. Its a very solid tank and I wish I had gotten it sooner.

So thats two on-track vehicles completed this month and im glad I got this and the Strv-103B. Very solid machines and for once its fun to play Tier X games.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Just in time for the HE nerf: https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2021/06/25/%f0%9f%87%a9%f0%9f%87%aa-vk-28-01-mit-105-cm-l-28-in-game-pictures-2/#more-111063

Pretty decent troll.

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Even Skill's starting to reach the end of his tether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsyBriVoBU
Thanks for linking this. I've been taking more breaks from Tanks recently (some voluntary, others due to a hardware failure) and am finding myself becoming more and more frustrated by how many games are blowouts.

The most interesting part of Skill's rant concerned the Improved Radio upgrade. Not so much the "Gotcha!" that neither the Tooltip nor Wargaming employees know that your turret needs to be facing the enemy for the ability to work, although that is embarrassing. But Improved Radio claims it keeps targets visible for +2 seconds, and Skill pretty conclusively demonstrates it's actually like +6 seconds. I had no idea this was a thing, and it probably helps explain several recent incidents where I was insta-gibbed when peaking out of cover despite having counted down for "long enough" to no longer be spotted.

This might also explain tanks that vanish "too quickly" after being spotted. Does Improved Radio make you re-steath after 8, 4, or $TEXAS seconds?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

He probably has it stacked with the crew skill and the directive that extend the duration to 6 seconds.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I personally feel the blowouts are more and more common. But Wargaming tries to rely on the real legit tanking mechanics with the Lanchester's Square Law but there is one big difference. In real life; one shot from a tank is usually capable of taking out the enemy tank. In World of Tanks; there are hitpoints. Medkits can revive people from the dead, and repairkits instantly repairs things instantly.

Not trying to poo poo on the community managers. But if you were to mention to them about the blowouts they will quickly point out that law and just say "Well, lol, get gud". Which is one of the reasons why I do not watch them anymore. I know they mean well but I think the toxicity of the community has gotten to their heads. Maybe not Cabbage Mechanic, but TragicLoss is a different story. And dont get me started on the community managers in other parts of the world. They agree and stand firm with that rule. While the community is screaming back at them that that rule is bullshit when it comes to this game.

Im all for making this game better for everyone. And it hurts me that I open my wallet up a lot because im a rare breed of people who legit enjoy playing this game despite it's heavy flaws.

Another problem on why blowouts exists is that, and I fully agree, the game will put two sides on the map. One side with very skilled and experienced players, and the other side with players like me who are not that skilled at the game. It's RARE that teams on my side (Or yours) wins by a blowout comeback. But there needs to be more of a variety of players spread out. Im afraid that will not happen because there are very few unicum players and the majority of players in this community just are not that great at the game. That's a hard fact of life.

Maybe there should be some sort of diminishing return for the matchmaker. Maybe a loss bank that you can cash in on that gives you bonds or something. Losing in this game hurts a lot. Maybe it should not have to be like that.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyKC8sbdgzA

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 28, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Klaus put out a good gripe video with salient points earlier.

It basically boils down to "stop trying to overengineer solutions to problems no one's having right now" and:

1. Tanks like the EBR 105 and 279(e) are poisoning high level games and need heavier weighting or match limitations. And every shot that hits an EBR 105 needs to do damage or disable the vehicle's motion.
2. Gold ammo needs no other change than 25-33% less damage in exchange for the higher penetration value.
3. SPGs and HE didn't need a nerf, SPGs just needed a limitation of one per match, and "it's the gold ammo, stupid."

He also struck the nail on the head about Crew 2.0. They're not trying to help anyone, they just want the ability to sell high-point commanders to newbies and people who don't want to grind out said points.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Katamari Democracy posted:

Not trying to poo poo on the community managers. But if you were to mention to them about the blowouts they will quickly point out that law and just say "Well, lol, get gud". Which is one of the reasons why I do not watch them anymore. I know they mean well but I think the toxicity of the community has gotten to their heads.

At least the EU community managers (well, mainly Eekeboo, but he's the face of WG 95% of the time) have fully jumped up their own butts. Back when they announced the 4th Battle Pass and had taken out most of the universal fragments, a lot of people asked why, pointing out that you need a lot more universal fragments than national fragments.

"We got feedback that people wanted more national fragments and less universal fragments."

Feedback from who?

"we got feedback that..."

Feedback where?

"We got feedback that..."

Despite pretty much the entire stream saying that was crazy and not at all what they wanted or were experiencing.

It's like talking to a brick wall. A brick wall that makes up obviously false statistics to back up its bricks. Oh word, 70% of people loved the HE changes despite most of the publicly visible feedback being extremely negative? Yeah that's probably how statistics work!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He also struck the nail on the head about Crew 2.0. They're not trying to help anyone, they just want the ability to sell high-point commanders to newbies and people who don't want to grind out said points.

This is also the reason for the HE changes. They don't give a poo poo about the players whining in their super heavy tanks about taking HE damage, they just don't want people damaging these tanks with CHEAP rounds. Buy gold rounds and THEN you can play, peasant.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Some HE shots from my KV-2 that did no damage.

The VK 3002M showed up as a Ricochet in the battle UI.

Maybe this was really bad luck for the LEFH cause theyre usually a bigger pain in the rear end.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Why are we taking cues from Claus. The man has a flawed understanding of the game mechanics and constantly whines about Russian bias in 2021. 1.13 is hands down the best patch WG has implemented since 1.0. Artillery has been effectively nerfed into oblivion and HE pens/non-pens from high caliber guns are strikingly more deterministic. I agree that the game economy is hosed up and needs fixing, but the gameplay is improving with every patch.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's like talking to a brick wall. A brick wall that makes up obviously false statistics to back up its bricks. Oh word, 70% of people loved the HE changes despite most of the publicly visible feedback being extremely negative? Yeah that's probably how statistics work!

Yes, that is how public vs. internal feedback metrics work. Consumers at large are more likely to leave negative feedback than positive feedback in a public forum! Goddamn you all for are making me sound like a WG apologist.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gorman Thomas posted:

Yes, that is how public vs. internal feedback metrics work. Consumers at large are more likely to leave negative feedback than positive feedback in a public forum!

So where are these consumers giving WG positive feedback in such massive volumes that it dwarfs out the very visible, very negative feedback at an over 2:1 ratio?

I mean, aside from WG's imagination.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So where are these consumers giving WG positive feedback in such massive volumes that it dwarfs out the very visible, very negative feedback at an over 2:1 ratio?

I mean, aside from WG's imagination.

Again, internal feedback, likely through the sandbox test server, which by design is not public facing. Where are you drawing this negative feedback percentage from? YouTube likes/dislikes?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gorman Thomas posted:

Again, internal feedback, likely through the sandbox test server, which by design is not public facing.

I'm gonna be 100% honest: I don't believe for one loving moment that WG got anywhere close to 70% positive responses ANYWHERE, any medium.

quote:

Where are you drawing this negative feedback percentage from? YouTube likes/dislikes?

Reddit, the official forums etc. The opinions voiced there were almost uniformly negative with a few positive voices mostly on the "finally people won't be able to damage my E100/Maus/IS-7 with HE anymore" lines.

Of course I don't have access to their internal feedback (and if I did I sure as gently caress wouldn't be talking about it on some dead comedy forum) so of course this is all purely anecdotal, but barring some kind of completely uselessly balanced questionnaire* I don't believe for one second that the vast majority of public feedback was CRUSHINGLY negative, and the vast majority of private feedback was positive.

Expecially since this is not the first or second or even third time WG have pulled the "our community hates $change but we're saying we received almost universal praise for it and ram it through anyway" move.

At this point their credibility is basically 0.

* recently a Finnish meat product manufacturer ran a questionnaire that basically asked "is it more important for school children to get a meal made with fresh ingredient, even if it is meat, than a meal made of spoiled or outdated ingredients" and from this concluded that most Finns were actually against vegetarian meals in schools. If you make a bad enough questionnaire, you can make any kind of results you want.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 28, 2021

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Reddit, the official forums etc. The opinions voiced there were almost uniformly negative with a few positive voices mostly on the "finally people won't be able to damage my E100/Maus/IS-7 with HE anymore" lines.

Post-patch feedback on Reddit is almost universally positive. I'd advise you to stay away from the official forums lol.

quote:

* recently a Finnish meat product manufacturer ran a questionnaire that basically asked "is it more important for school children to get a meal made with fresh ingredient, even if it is meat, than a meal made of spoiled or outdated ingredients" and from this concluded that most Finns were actually against vegetarian meals in schools. If you make a bad enough questionnaire, you can make any kind of results you want.

Yes a bad questionnaire/poll can obscure data and led to fundamentally wrong conclusions. When you answered the questionnaire on the sandbox test server did you notice any issues?

More than likely WG skews the results by looking at the raw number of negative responses vs the active server pop. For example, the WoTNA YouTube channel's HE nerf video from last week has 464 dislikes (vs 365 likes), but the subscriber number is 588k. It wouldn't be a stretch for WG to take a non-response from the majority of the player base as acceptance of the planned changes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And it's happening again:

Wargaming posted:

"Preliminary survey results, as well as direct feedback, show us that roughly 75% of players liked the key mechanics of Field Modification and were positive about the addition of this feature into the main game. In particular, players generally appreciated the new opportunity to fine-tune their favorite vehicles to their personal playstyle."

I pretty much guarantee 75% of players aren't reacting positively to that loving shitshow.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Just regarding the patch I'm a little mixed on it. Lots of stuff I like and some stuff that needs further refining.

Those new AP shells on the Type 5 150mm are pretty funny though.

I yell about the matchmaker a lot. Pointing out at all the different dumb ways it skews the match.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

And it's happening again:

I pretty much guarantee 75% of players aren't reacting positively to that loving shitshow.

There's some of this like alternate set ups that are a good idea, but just needs to be a standard feature and not a grind.

Then the field modifications are not only a crazy grind but will break this game even more. Just make prestiging with special camos or whatever. God drat it weegee.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Wargaming please load those surveys with 75% positive results into an ST-II and fire straight into my balls.

TIA

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Captain Blaargh posted:

I yell about the matchmaker a lot. Pointing out at all the different dumb ways it skews the match.

I'm not kidding when I say literally all of my games tonight (20+) have been games where one team has like 2-3 decent players and a sea of red, and the other team is mostly good or great players with a couple of shitters.

And there's no loving carrying if you end up on the red side, because the game will be lost before 2 minutes have passed.

E: and if you're on the other side but aren't in a very fast tank, GG to you as well you loving clown, because the game will be over by the time you've fired two shots and you'll never see a live enemy again. Gotta love trying to grind my stock Emil II. Oh what's this, by the time my piece of crap tank has reached a firing position, the game is 8-1 and the only enemies alive are tank destroyer and arty on the other side of the map? Cool!

At least on the EU servers, World of Tanks is awful right now.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 28, 2021

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
The 1.13 HE, and arty changes are a good thing and were 100% needed. A few tanks that rely on HE need some more adjustments but the for the vast majority of tanks the changes fix a major problem with this game. Armor should matter in a tank game and HE simply ignored that mechanic. Gold ammo still needs to be fixed but changing everything at once would really cause the "WG took'er game" crowd to blow a gasket.
Tracers make playing against arty actually bearable. This is the best chance I've seen since I've started playing the game.
A lot of people are saying most people hate the changes, but the live polls I've taken show the opposite. I think the 70% stat WG claimed is probably accurate. It's just that the people who hate 1.13 are very loud about how they feel.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I played in my 261 a few days ago using only the stun HE and I felt like literally nothing changed. I was still doing a lot of damage.

I gotta say I am happy about tracers, I always made a habit of shooting then moving. So all the shitlords that don't are easy pickins.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mesadoram posted:

I played in my 261 a few days ago using only the stun HE and I felt like literally nothing changed. I was still doing a lot of damage.

Shooting the stun rounds is the way to go. At least the M53/55 is not accurate enough to land the damage shells reliably, and the splash radius is comically small.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I think the worst crime WG has committed is not putting in a modular tutorial for the more esoteric game mechanics. I'm convinced that 90% of the player base on NA doesn't understand double bushing, camo/VR calculations, hidden gun stats, spaced armor, turret roof overmatch, apcr penetration drop-off, hidden traverse stats etc, etc.

The root cause of blowout matches is always going to be player skill, and that's never going to be addressed as long as WG fails to equip players with the necessary tools to overcome that gap.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

WGing biggest crime is existing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

WGing biggest crime is existing

Making the T30 the T9 instead of the T10 TD.