Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Draxion posted:

What is the emotion they are trying to convey here

A beguiling combination of arousal, confusion, and annoyance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Sigma posted:

I just remembered that WWE taped a NXT Evolve pilot

Whoops

Nick Khan’s intern if you’re reading this there’s another rat the size of Nick in that company named Gabe, pass it on

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1408549175155908612

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
For the record, I buy this about as much as I buy "oh the interview had nothing to do with us firing the writer".

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone heard from Kona Reeves lately

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Have to assume NXT UK is mostly safe until the current BT Sports TV deal expires, whenever that is, coz it's extremely cheap filler content.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/AustinCreedWins/status/1408535304521330695?s=20

Maybe Woods has a backup plan after all?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Khans Rule Everything Around Me

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Have to assume NXT UK is mostly safe until the current BT Sports TV deal expires, whenever that is, coz it's extremely cheap filler content.

They can dump it at any time once whatever contractual obligations they have to TV are done, the uk indie scene is dead and buried regardless so there’s no need to keep the wrestlers locked up.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cavauro posted:

Khans Rule Everything Around Me

I thought they needed to buff the mongol empire events this patch?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Also:

Jaxson Ryker: Still Employed

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

forkboy84 posted:

Don't watch the show is the emotion they are clearly trying to convey.

I really feel for those guys because I know you've mentioned the WWE was their dream job but I don't doubt they'll land on their feet, they are entertaining as hell.

And theyre canadian. Youve got the whole Visa thing. Not like it's also easy to relocate from Montreal to Florida and move with all your poo poo, so the scramble to figure out what to do next, huge stress on them and their families.

This is brutal, i know the guys will be fine, but gently caress man they were doing great.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Just do for NXT UK like they did for TBS way back around Black Saturday, just broadcast NXT matches and use UK graphics. Also maybe include one match from a UK guy still on roster (maybe)

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

stab posted:

And theyre canadian. Youve got the whole Visa thing. Not like it's also easy to relocate from Montreal to Florida and move with all your poo poo, so the scramble to figure out what to do next, huge stress on them and their families.

This is brutal, i know the guys will be fine, but gently caress man they were doing great.

Does WWE do anything to assist in the green card process? I work in oil and the big companies go above and beyond on trying to get everyone permanent residency in the US. Then again I worked with a guy that got laid off less than a week after he got his green card.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think LRLR is just a joke Breeze made since they "feuded" over the UDUD belt? I don't think it's an actual thing but could become one?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This is 100% Khan saw how payroll is a dent in WWE finances or spending splurge and not taking as an answer for "why are we paying each of these people 6 figures a year?" an answer of "so the other guys can't have them."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Oil! posted:

Does WWE do anything to assist in the green card process? I work in oil and the big companies go above and beyond on trying to get everyone permanent residency in the US. Then again I worked with a guy that got laid off less than a week after he got his green card.

They fired Cezar Bononi while his visa expired and never gave him a green card, meaning he almost had to go back to Brazil before AEW hired him. His wife was also pregnant at the time.

To answer your question: no

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Oil! posted:

Lol noooo

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/cezar-bononi-says-wwe-wouldn-t-help-him-green-card-was-making-600-week-nxt

quote:

I had talked to WWE before about applying for a green card and they never wanted to help me out with that, they said my casework was not strong enough and that it was better for me to stay on a P1 Visa, which meant my wife could not work anyplace and I could only work for WWE. If they fire me, I have to go back to Brazil. There was interest for them to have me on that instead of a green card.

There is a lot more linked and it’s all bad

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Oil! posted:

I might be misremembering, but I feel like Tay Continue talked about how WWE offered to do hers for her, but that would’ve made her basically tied to them in order to maintain her residency, so she went and did it all herself so she’d have more flexibility without a visa tied to a specific job.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Nikki Cross is the only member of Sanity left.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

if i worked for wwe i'd be keeping every dollar i earned in a mattress

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Marina Shafir also gone, also Sapp knows something we don’t know.

https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1408528864960253960?s=21

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nick Khan is a piece of loving poo poo but if this leaves Vince with no legacy other than "has money" and destroys HHH for good it's all still a net positive.

Take the McMahon family away from their platform. Please.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
ALSO HANG IN THERE, SLAPJACK

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Other guys we know expire late this year, early next year: Sami Zayn, Street Profits.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Shinjobi posted:

ALSO HANG IN THERE, SLAPJACK

Kona Reeves dodging bullets.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MJeff posted:

For the record, I buy this about as much as I buy "oh the interview had nothing to do with us firing the writer".

He deleted it.

For everyone else what it said was "In an update, WWE sources have contacted me to deny Nick Khan as the driving force behind the releases"

Summary: loving lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lid posted:

He deleted it.

For everyone else what it said was "In an update, WWE sources have contacted me to deny Nick Khan as the driving force behind the releases"

Summary: loving lol

SRS is smart, I'm pretty sure he can tell when a source is just blatantly bullshitting him. :lol:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Just thought of the possibility of Corbin being canned because Khan is just going by numbers and doesn't give a poo poo about politics. That would be great drama.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

HHH nervously smiling from a folding chair in the corner of the board room as nick khan keeps asking "who the gently caress was responsible for hiring so many wrestlers to begin with?"

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

He’s making a dent in an industry completely separated from WWE. The only thing that might be awkward is if he severs from WWE and has to change the name he uses on G4.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Austin Creed loses a high-stakes street fighter tournament and has to change his name to Austin Consequences

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

slipping in here to hope xavier makes more money than loving buzzfeed, collegehumor, the try guys, and good mythical morning all put together in the next couple of years on goofy streaming poo poo

Ad by Khad posted:

Austin Creed loses a high-stakes street fighter tournament and has to change his name to Austin Consequences

hahahaha

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

forkboy84 posted:

OK, but this isn't doing harm to the broader wrestling business. WWE hoarding talent for the last decade that they weren't using has been harming the business, because wrestling is considerably bigger than one lovely company. There is a dearth of talent on the indies, especially veteran hands who can help the younger generation improve. Meanwhile WWE's roster is absolutely loaded with great wrestlers, men & women, who were signed purely so someone else doesn't potentially make money with them. It sucks for the individual wrestlers being fired but they know that they sign incredibly 1 sided contracts with a monolith that doesn't even know who they are.

Is NXT great? I mean it used to be but at some point, oddly when it became an in-house super-indy rather than a developmental farm, it lost that: it became a touring brand, it lost the looseness that allowed people to experiment with gimmicks & stuff, for things to get over naturally over time. Sure there's a lot of talent, but Sareee, Shirai, Bronson Reed, Cameron Grimes, Stokely Hathaway, whoever else would still be as talented in companies that aren't a complete tire fire. And I'd actually get to watch them if Jonah Rock was in New Japan & Shirai was in Stardom & Sareee was back in places like SEAdLINNNG & so on, so forth. And HHH would be sad and that is truly the best outcome.

Dawg, you deserve to watch better wrestling.

Just to piggyback onto this: not that WWE is in any danger of going out of business anytime soon (like I said they'd just likely be bought by some media conglomerate and used to pump out content), but if they were, that should be celebrated, not mourned. WWE's a lovely, predatory company run by an old racist pervert whose mind is addled by years of drug and steroid abuse, and who's determinedly out of touch with what his audience actually wants to see. His vision of "sports entertainment" (a term he came up with to camouflage his disgust for actually being involved in pro wrestling) permeated the general consciousness for what, 30 years or so, and did untold damage to the industry in terms of lives lost and careers shortened, and it finally took another rich guy who actually likes pro wrestling and respects his wrestlers to show people that no, Vince's way isn't the only way. And until recently, his heir apparent was his power-tripping racist son-in-law who would have only been different in that he would've paid lip service to liking wrestling, and now the company is apparently going to be cut to the bone in preparation for sale by a typical heartless capitalist who doesn't give two shits about wrestling beyond how profitable it is. A person that Vince hired.

WWE dying won't kill pro wrestling. The non-wrestling people (office workers, janitors, etc.) who have job skills that can translate into other companies will more than likely be able to recover from the company shutting down better than most; and at this point anyone who's involved on the wrestling side of WWE will either be grateful that they don't have Vince making GBS threads on them any more (in which case they will be fine), or they won't know what to do without Vince making GBS threads on them any more (in which case they will either sink or swim).

Nobody here should mourn WWE's loss if they did go under, any more than they should mourn the loss of any other company, big or small, that treated its' employees like poo poo and operated at the whims and caprices of idiot management. The problem is those companies generally manage somehow to stay afloat for years and years, and WWE is likely to be no different.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nick Khan sucks and people losing their jobs sucks.

I hope everyone can land on their feet but like, AEW can't pick up everyone. Hopefully the people that are let go can land on their feet and get paid as much as WWE was paying them.

Gonna miss Ever Rise and Breezango, so I hope they pop up somewhere.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I don’t really enjoy Nick Khan or think anything he’s doing is good. He’s firing people for a very insidious reason so a few people at the top of WWE can profit massively. I don’t know why people hate HHH so much that they’d pull for some soulless, grimy capitalist to do harm to the wrestling business. At least Hunter’s thing, NXT is pretty good overall, arguably the best WWE program for the last several years as far as consistency goes. It’s highs aren’t as good to me as say, Kofimania or Bianca vs Sasha at mania but they have created some phenomenal stuff especially a few years ago, and for the past few weeks NXT seems to be hitting a new stride with Joe, Io, and that million dollar man angle being positives.

Yeah I'm with you on all this. Sure it's funny to see HHH get clowned on, but ultimately the rich people at WWE are getting richer and wrestlers are being hurt as a result.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 26, 2021

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Apparently Shotzi and Scarlett are taping Main Event matches tonight as a tryout

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: the writer who knew nothing about wrestling getting fired.

To defend her. It's not her fault she knows nothing about wrestling and WWE. It's not her fault she doesn't know Bobby Lashley's name. Most people don't know or care about WWE or Lashley. My brother, (who used to be a fan when we were kids, and indeed bought me a Ted Dibiase cameo for my birthday last year), has a vague knowledge of wrestling and barely might be able to pick Bobby Lashley from a lineup.

She is a writer. who interviewed for what she thought was a writing job. In that interview I am sure she was asked, and gave the answer that she knew gently caress all about wrestling.

The fault is with those who then hired her to write a wrestling show. Not on her for wanting to get a job to be able to pay her bills. And worst of all, the people who hired her, knowing that she didn't know anything about wrestling, they fired her when it became public that she didn't know about wrestling.

WWE and WWE management are, as in most cases, the baddies here. Not the writer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dacap posted:

Apparently Shotzi and Scarlett are taping Main Event matches tonight as a tryout

Has Scarlett wrestled since coming to NXT?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Codependent Poster posted:

Nick Khan sucks and people losing their jobs sucks.

I hope everyone can land on their feet but like, AEW can't pick up everyone. Hopefully the people that are let go can land on their feet and get paid as much as WWE was paying them.

Gonna miss Ever Rise and Breezango, so I hope they pop up somewhere.

Yeah I'm with you on all this. Sure it's funny to see HHH get clowned on, but ultimately the rich people at WWE are getting richer and wrestlers are being hurt as a result.

Breezango is a winning signing but yea AEW can’t and shouldn’t become the WWE’s recycling bin, in reality we need companies like Impact, ROH, and NJPW Strong to thrive and I honestly should do more as a fan to see these shows I know all three of the companies I mentioned have great talent.

I used to love ROH back when I was super broke with a tiny CRT and a free government antennae it was the only wrestling I could get and it was fun watching it late night and Jay Lethal trying to sell my catheters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Has Scarlett wrestled since coming to NXT?

No

Per Cagematch this would be her first match since Sept 2019