Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Shugojin posted:

I mean I think what I'd have done in that case is "call the fire department, hit fire alarm"

Like gently caress it I'm not trying anything else to try to deal with a bunch of small explosives that are all in fire

There's basically gently caress-all he can do about it anyways. Fireworks have an oxidizer, so fire extinguishers aren't really going to do gently caress all for a pile of fireworks burning. Evacuate the store and call the FD are about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
And if you call the FD without telling a salaried manager first, boy are you in trouble!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Down another person today. Wheeee.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So my former (and possibly future) employer is giving out $1000 sign-on bonuses and is paying $15 minimum for all positions, and one of my former coworkers wrote a FB post about how they should be rewarding their loyal long-term employees instead, not new people. I really wanted to reply "Why would they, they're not having trouble getting you to show up."

I didn't because it was honestly the best place I've ever worked, and I only left because I developed a degenerative thing in my foot so I can't stand for long periods. I don't want to burn bridges if I can get a sit-down job there.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I SURVIVED PRIME WEEK!
I'm so loving tired...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Alkydere posted:

I SURVIVED PRIME WEEK!
I'm so loving tired...

Don't worry the Teamsters are working on helping you with that now...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My boss just texted me on my day off to ask when my old van had its last PM.

The person who has the van could have, I don't know, checked the loving maintenance binder.

The only reason I replied is because she has a habit of calling if you don't reply to texts. Multiple times.

But she is getting better! I mean, other drivers had to call HR for her various calls. Once a driver told her he couldn't stay late, he had to pick up something at the pharmacy after work. She asked what pharmacy; he later told me he was so surprised he answered her. So she called him back about 10 minutes later to say "you can stay late, they don't close until 6 and it's only a 15 minute drive from your end stop."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Trastion posted:

Don't worry the Teamsters are working on helping you with that now...

*The tired, sore lump on the couch gives a muffled 'Yay....'*

Legit laughed my rear end off the moment someone linked that to me. I can't wait. Also why is my apartment complex's hot tub dead this week? My tired muscles could really go for a soak right now, I don't care how many screaming children would be running around the pool.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Second call from work today.

I'm loving done.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Second call from work today.

I'm loving done.

Why is your phone on?!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

Why is your phone on?!

Didn't recognize the number. Since am house sitting, wasn't sure if it was them. Nope, mechanic issues.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Love to be an hour late for work because my schedule got changed lit last minute (when I checked it yesterday the computer said 5) and I don't even get a courtesy call.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Truck showed up hella loving late again. But this time I was the opener. Unlike before when I was the closer however, none of the other closers are forklift certified. Meaning I HAD to stay late to finish the load. Its cool that the other guys get to skip out on it and I have to do it plus closing, but when I'm the one opening now the opener has to stay overtime cause the boss didn't schedule anyone who can use a forklift to close. Yeah I know that sounds loving stupid, thats been my job the last year and a half.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

You're planning on leaving that job soon, aren't you Leal?

Because the obvious answer is to tell your boss "Hahahahaha, suck it!" and go home, but I understand how if you have upcoming plans that could interrupt things.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's painfully clear that his employers realized long ago there is no level of use or abuse he won't put up with.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alkydere posted:

You're planning on leaving that job soon, aren't you Leal?

Because the obvious answer is to tell your boss "Hahahahaha, suck it!" and go home, but I understand how if you have upcoming plans that could interrupt things.

I'm sticking around till the end of the year but man, its really hard to stick with that

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Leal posted:

I'm sticking around till the end of the year
For the love of god, why?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

For the love of god, why?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I'm sticking around till the end of the year but man, its really hard to stick with that

Given how many employers are currently fairly desperate for workers, even if you are long term switching fields, you should be able to find an equivalent paying job to what you have now , and just work that the next 5-6 months.

For the first time in a looooong time, workers may have some (emphasis some) leverage.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i wish the unemployment boost would last into next year when we have our contract negotiations but noooooo "people aren't taking lovely jobs for lovely pay and they aren't allowed to do that! :mad:" and everyone wants to be a punitive shithead about it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I'm loving the whole worker shortage here at Amazon. Some of the bullshit we had to go through fell to the wayside during the pandemic and it was a nice reprieve. No more metal detectors on the way out, being allowed to bring phones in (though not have them).

Now because Amazon's having trouble getting workers they don't want to fire anyone. So now the X-Ray machine is still off, and the metal detectors just act as counters and go off on the 100th person to make them walk through an actually on metal detector just so Loss Prevention can say they're doing their job. And the phones? "No having them out unless you're checking your hours or you have a legit family emergency" used to be fairly enforced compared to now where people whip them out the moment work runs out for a minute. Even better is that they stopped caring about ear buds so a lot of people are actually enjoying themselves listening to music during their shift.

And management knows that if they tried to enforce that poo poo on any but the more important stuff (I.e. PIT (forklift) drivers really shouldn't have earbuds in) then nearly half of their workforce will evaporate overnight.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Alkydere posted:

I'm loving the whole worker shortage here at Amazon. Some of the bullshit we had to go through fell to the wayside during the pandemic and it was a nice reprieve. No more metal detectors on the way out, being allowed to bring phones in (though not have them).

Now because Amazon's having trouble getting workers they don't want to fire anyone. So now the X-Ray machine is still off, and the metal detectors just act as counters and go off on the 100th person to make them walk through an actually on metal detector just so Loss Prevention can say they're doing their job. And the phones? "No having them out unless you're checking your hours or you have a legit family emergency" used to be fairly enforced compared to now where people whip them out the moment work runs out for a minute. Even better is that they stopped caring about ear buds so a lot of people are actually enjoying themselves listening to music during their shift.

And management knows that if they tried to enforce that poo poo on any but the more important stuff (I.e. PIT (forklift) drivers really shouldn't have earbuds in) then nearly half of their workforce will evaporate overnight.

:allears:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Currently chilling and waiting for a rental, so I'm already in work over an hour early, and been waiting about 20 minutes or so to get the rental van all set up. Then I'm going to need a ride from the mechanic to the rental place, fill out all the paperwork there, and all because my boss insisted on switching my new van for a co-workers garbage van that he never took care of.

Bonus points for me calling my boss and explain what was going on, and her telling me I would need to get a rental, then asking me if I knew how to get a rental van, to which I replied to her it's been about a year so no. I mostly said that because I wanted to hear the exasperation in her voice, because I don't think she's handling the stress of being a single manager with no assistance quite well.

Secondary bonus points for her not texting my two co-workers on friday, the day I took off last week, but instead emailing both of them to try and get my van from a mechanic 10 miles from my base that she insisted on going to, up to another mechanic a further 15 miles from my base. Neither of them check their email, so now we are 4 days behind where we should be.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Applied for another retail job for lack of anything better. Same poo poo, but a minimum of four dollars more an hour. It would be nice to bail before inventory.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Applied for another retail job for lack of anything better. Same poo poo, but a minimum of four dollars more an hour. It would be nice to bail before inventory.

Hell yeah, get some dollars! Having even another couple dollars per hour in the budget will make your life so much more easy to live. Get some homie

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Just got word that the boss denied my change in availability, because "full timers need to be more available than [what I'd changed to]", and when I mentioned that I got that, and wanted to move to part-time, that there were no part time options for the position.

Despite having a part time position open for someone who'd flaked a few weeks back.

So fuckin done and it hasn't even been six months yet. Gonna be real interesting to find out how they deal with my changing availability to "loving none, I got another job" soon enough.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Aniodia posted:

Just got word that the boss denied my change in availability, because "full timers need to be more available than [what I'd changed to]", and when I mentioned that I got that, and wanted to move to part-time, that there were no part time options for the position.

Despite having a part time position open for someone who'd flaked a few weeks back.

So fuckin done and it hasn't even been six months yet. Gonna be real interesting to find out how they deal with my changing availability to "loving none, I got another job" soon enough.

But please, tell me more about the nationwide shortage of retail workers

those lazy bastards don't want to work!!

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
Starting last week at work we were allowed to not wear masks if we were fully vaccinated. I tried it out for 4 of my shifts and now I caught a cold. I'm going back to wearing a mask.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

waggles posted:

Starting last week at work we were allowed to not wear masks if we were fully vaccinated. I tried it out for 4 of my shifts and now I caught a cold. I'm going back to wearing a mask.

Why would they care if you wear a mask ? If anything, it tells the customers who the employee is.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

waggles posted:

I have no intention of returning to no-mask-in-public anytime soon, and I'm constantly at odds with my friends about going to restaurants. I have only recently started going into some places for takeout, as opposed to ordering ahead.
Masks own.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
The sad thing is I had a bad feeling the whole time so I should have kept wearing mine. It's my day off so I've been monitoring my temperature and will probably call out tomorrow.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
July 4th being on a Sunday, we don't get Friday or Monday off. I mean I guess it makes sense but drat it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A mask is not going to do much to prevent you from catching a cold. Gloves and obsessive hand washing will do you better there.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Eric the Mauve posted:

A mask is not going to do much to prevent you from catching a cold. Gloves and obsessive hand washing will do you better there.

It will keep you from touching your mouth and nose which is like half the battle.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i'm going to keep wearing my mask to keep others safe and also because i think it makes me look mysterious.

"who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? the produce clerk knows."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I was a germophobe long before covid made it cool, so the silver lining in this whole nightmare for me personally has been no one bats an eye when I wear gloves in stores in the summer now.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I love wearing a mask at work. I don’t have to put effort into making facial expressions and I can poo poo talk customers right in front of them without them hearing me. :haw:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Butt Detective posted:

I love wearing a mask at work. I don’t have to put effort into making facial expressions and I can poo poo talk customers right in front of them without them hearing me. :haw:

The assistant store manager said that he was gonna keep wearing his mask just so he can mouth "you fucker" at customers who say stupid poo poo. I wanted to take his mask off for the sole purpose of kissing him on the mouth.

Now gentlemen, behold!

That bottom left one was the same size as the other 3 at the start of my shift :shepface:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Leal posted:

That bottom left one was the same size as the other 3 at the start of my shift :shepface:

Just thinking about the corn store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Leal posted:

The assistant store manager said that he was gonna keep wearing his mask just so he can mouth "you fucker" at customers who say stupid poo poo. I wanted to take his mask off for the sole purpose of kissing him on the mouth.

Now gentlemen, behold!

Oh so you DO have more in the back! :v:
(I kid! I kid!)

Anyways, because Amazon had a successful Prime Day is so loving desperate we're getting double overtime pay starting on July 4th.

Also we get a 1-hour long virtual event hosted/DJed by some DJ-Diplo guy on the 1st.