Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Looks like that latest patch nerfed the unlimited boar farm designs. They simply wont eat.
Not surprised they put a stop to that clear exploit, a bit surprised nothing was mentioned in the changelog.
I'll miss my 4x4 wall pen overflowing piglets onto the surrounding terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Floppychop posted:

Rain will damage uncovered wood to 50%, but won't completely destroy it.

Also “uncovered” means a roof structure. Covering a wooden floor with another wooden floor will just mean both get damaged.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Azhais posted:

The game only renders the area around your character(s) so nothing is going to happen while you're away. No floating boats, no coming back to a destroyed house because the trolls gangbanged it while you were in swamp dungeons. No farm growth, no smelting, no nothing. Stasis is a pretty common mechanic in these sorts of games, Medieval Dynasty did it too.

Not really, when I travel to my farm after a few days all the plants pop into fully grown form after a few seconds.

When I get back home the kilns have exhausted whatever I put in them.

Maybe it plays catch-up as I'm getting close, but it's effectively the same to me, and different from saying "your house didn't get knocked down" because that's not something the engine will catch up when you walk up to a troll that's already next to your house.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

It's really easy to test this.

1) Build some portals
2) Build farm/smelters at one portal, and a bed at the other
3) Add stuff to your smelters/plant seeds/etc
4) Jump through portal to bed, sleep
5) Jump back to farm/smelters

When you jump back, you should hear your smelter plunk out ore rapid-fire

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Kibayasu posted:

The sword seems to do a wider cut that can hit multiple enemies more reliably. Other than that nope.
The only thing about the sword I don't like is that it doesn't hit very effective on anything. Years of Pokemon games have me doing attack type matchups in Valheim. Clubs and bows cover quite a lot of the enemies you face.

Otacon posted:

It's really easy to test this.

1) Build some portals
2) Build farm/smelters at one portal, and a bed at the other
3) Add stuff to your smelters/plant seeds/etc
4) Jump through portal to bed, sleep
5) Jump back to farm/smelters

When you jump back, you should hear your smelter plunk out ore rapid-fire

Yeah that's the same thing as plants popping to full grown after you show up. Effectively it's the same, so it is worth it to plant stuff and fill kilns/smelters even if you're not gonna be somewhere for a while.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Certain events are timestamped, like plants growing. So if you pick some seeds and ignore the area for a week they'll respawn when you come back.

Other stuff, like enemies, completely stop moving once players are out of the area. If you have an event and jump through a portal the event will never end (and your base will never take damage) until someone comes back to the area and activates all the mobs.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It's basically that timers still keep going (plants, smelters, wild plants respawning) but nothing actually happens unless a player is in the area. Hence the plants sprouting up instantly or a smelter vomiting out 10 ingots at once.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

pik_d posted:

The only thing about the sword I don't like is that it doesn't hit very effective on anything. Years of Pokemon games have me doing attack type matchups in Valheim. Clubs and bows cover quite a lot of the enemies you face.

Yea, in the current state of the game blunt and piercing are the best regular damage types with clear strengths and weaknesses while slashing is neutral against everything that isn't resistant to it.

If you can't shoot it to death due to resistance then it's probably weak to being bashed by a mace.

One weapon I wrote off when I first started playing but is actually legit early game was the Club, for the low price of 30 bone fragments you can upgrade it to max for 30 damage a swing, 5 less then a tier 1 bronze mace, but it only takes 5 stamina to swing instead of 15, has 50 more durability then the t1 metal mace and can be repaired anywhere you have access to wood for crafting benches.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I'm a little nervous to see how the monsters attacking my bases go. I would rather have monsters attack me and ignore my base. I spent far too much time building my bases and I would rather not have to redo any of it. That being said I have been making heavy use of the raise ground tool for elevated bases so hopefully that will protect me.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
I'm rapidly losing motivation to play this game. I can only get in about an hour every other day, and that involves exploring every mountain biome I can find (7 large and innumerable not-so-large) looking for Moder's altar or any stone building at all that might have the vesigr in it -- I haven't seen a single stone building in the mountains! I'm wearing my wishbone and marking a ton of silver... I've already maxed all my silver/wolf-tier gear. Any tips for finding this drat thing?

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

zombienietzsche posted:

I'm rapidly losing motivation to play this game. I can only get in about an hour every other day, and that involves exploring every mountain biome I can find (7 large and innumerable not-so-large) looking for Moder's altar or any stone building at all that might have the vesigr in it -- I haven't seen a single stone building in the mountains! I'm wearing my wishbone and marking a ton of silver... I've already maxed all my silver/wolf-tier gear. Any tips for finding this drat thing?

How big is the mountain zone you explored? It suprises me that you haven't found any stone structures as in the mountains I'm in the process of exploring I have already found 4 stone structures. Granted none of them have shown where Moder is, but it still suprises me you haven't found any stone structures.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

zombienietzsche posted:

If that's really killing the game for you and you still want to keep progressing, you could just start up a world using that seed with all five boss altars near the spawn point, kill Moder and get the tears, then go back to your other world and keep on going.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Good point. I could also just start exploring the plains, why not? Thanks for reminding me that there are alternatives!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

zombienietzsche posted:

I could also just start exploring the plains

I wish you a much smoother experience than I had with this. My eventual solution was 'travel in packs with friends and always have a portal nearby'. That place is deadly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

zombienietzsche posted:

Good point. I could also just start exploring the plains, why not? Thanks for reminding me that there are alternatives!

There is a world generator online that will show you your full map if you put in the seed, including bosses, if you just want to find Moder in your world too.

Apparently not every world will have Moder.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ravenfood posted:

There is a world generator online that will show you your full map if you put in the seed, including bosses, if you just want to find Moder in your world too.

Apparently not every world will have Moder.

This is the solution I went with when we had the same problem. Mountains can be a real PITA biome because there's so many lovely little mountains scattered about that aren't worth anything.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 25, 2021

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

zombienietzsche posted:

As Ravenfood said, get your world seed and plunk it into this world generator if you want to keep playing and just get past this one sticking point:

https://valheim-map.world/

It will show you all the possible locations for each boss (assuming you click that checkbox).

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
I succumbed and checked the seed -- turns out it's not that far away. Now time to gather all those dragon eggs I've marked and get on with it!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
On my solo play I basically decided that if I didn't find $boss naturally by the time I finished crafting everything I wanted from that biome, I'd just look it up. I ended up having to look up Moder, the trader, and the Elder, everything else I ran into naturally in the end.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
It's fine, it's your game, nobody's going to judge you and the cops won't come knocking! Just have fun.

boloney
May 29, 2021
I'm trying to install this mod. https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/42?tab=description

When it says, "Extract content to ***YourValheimFolder***/BepInEx/plugins/", does it mean the Valheim folder in steamapps/common? Because there's no BepInEx/plugins folder there (after installing BepInEx, obviously)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah, on my machine it's steamapps\common\Valheim\BepInEx\plugins, dunno where it might have gone on your machine.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Create the folder yourself and see if it Just Works.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The gently caress is the secret to building docks in this game? Every youtube video makes it look terrible and tedious, and building it on land and then digging down tot he water isn't viable either since you end up swimming in shallow rear end water and Wet, so that's even more tedious.

Someone give me some sort of dock building secret knowledge.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Fuzz posted:

The gently caress is the secret to building docks in this game? Every youtube video makes it look terrible and tedious, and building it on land and then digging down tot he water isn't viable either since you end up swimming in shallow rear end water and Wet, so that's even more tedious.

Tip: It's terrible and tedious

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

boloney posted:

I'm trying to install this mod. https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/42?tab=description

When it says, "Extract content to ***YourValheimFolder***/BepInEx/plugins/", does it mean the Valheim folder in steamapps/common? Because there's no BepInEx/plugins folder there (after installing BepInEx, obviously)

Could be somewhere in:

C:\users\*yournamehere*\appdata\locallow....

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Fuzz posted:

I built those sloped roof pieces underwater to push me down toward the bottom so I could place big stone blocks deeper in water. Can't really build too far out with those unless you pick your site well.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

You just have to accept that building docks is not a feature of the game. There are numerous work arounds but nothing can really cover for the fact that the devs didn't intend for you to build docks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The whole way boats are implemented is super weird and I presume and hope there will be a Boats DLC somewhere down the line that fixes that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The tip to building docks is that you don't want to do it, just smash the boat and put it in a chest.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fuzz posted:

As someone who absolutely loves building cool looking docks, I have a bunch of secrets!

Unfortunately, things ARE a lot more tedious than they used to be, since they changed raise land from "raise to this height" to "raise up one unit", but you can start by raising some land and squaring off a section to hook the dock onto that gives a good angle into the water. This isnt strictly necessary, but I always have extra stone so I usually start here.

Next, you want to download https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/299

All this does is give you manual control of the games autosnapping, which imo is something the game really should have by default because it makes things just... so much *nicer*, and is really the key to making most complex builds less painful.

Once youve got that, you want to build your frame - start as low as you can get using core wood full and half pieces, and then build out as far as you can along the sea floor, dropping an underpiece at every join for support. You can then extend the frame up and across and repeat to get it out further, or you can get a boat and do the whole base first.

Actually mod or not, building a raft makes a lot of water builds easier, especially if you're adding details after the frame is complete. I usually don't bother for the frames themselves, and instead opt for building temporary platforms/floor pieces attached to the frame sides for me to stand on and build from. Having a raft nearby can still be useful in case you accidentally fall in or get swept off by a wave - otherwise youll also want to add regular access stairs as you get further out.

When the frame is done, tile over the top and add details and you're done.

I love building docks and bridges, and if you want to get cool stuff in the water that also goes up here there's a couple more tricks that you can use but for a dock those aren't really necessary or desirable.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I spent way too much time making piers before I learned to just make a wharf and call it a day. Stone looks really good as a bonus.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

boloney posted:

It does mean the Valheim folder under steamapps. The BepInEx winhttp.dll file should have arrived there with three other files and three directories, including the BepInEx directory.

How did you install BepInEx? I recommend grabbing it via manual download from Thunderstore; inside the zip, just extract everything inside the BepInExPack_Valheim directory into steamapps\common\Valheim. You should end up with the directories you're missing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

As someone who absolutely loves building cool looking docks, I have a bunch of secrets!

Unfortunately, things ARE a lot more tedious than they used to be, since they changed raise land from "raise to this height" to "raise up one unit", but you can start by raising some land and squaring off a section to hook the dock onto that gives a good angle into the water. This isnt strictly necessary, but I always have extra stone so I usually start here.

Next, you want to download https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/299

All this does is give you manual control of the games autosnapping, which imo is something the game really should have by default because it makes things just... so much *nicer*, and is really the key to making most complex builds less painful.

Once youve got that, you want to build your frame - start as low as you can get using core wood full and half pieces, and then build out as far as you can along the sea floor, dropping an underpiece at every join for support. You can then extend the frame up and across and repeat to get it out further, or you can get a boat and do the whole base first.

Actually mod or not, building a raft makes a lot of water builds easier, especially if you're adding details after the frame is complete. I usually don't bother for the frames themselves, and instead opt for building temporary platforms/floor pieces attached to the frame sides for me to stand on and build from. Having a raft nearby can still be useful in case you accidentally fall in or get swept off by a wave - otherwise youll also want to add regular access stairs as you get further out.

When the frame is done, tile over the top and add details and you're done.

I love building docks and bridges, and if you want to get cool stuff in the water that also goes up here there's a couple more tricks that you can use but for a dock those aren't really necessary or desirable.

That mod seems cool but I play on a dedicated server and ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh that thing requires you to install two other mods plus the stupid Nexus Mod Manager and Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'd rather not fall into a cave of depression and suicidal ideation over a game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Uhh.... :confused: It requires nothing besides BepInEx (which all Valheim mods require) and installation is just a manual download and cut/paste. Most Valheim mods are this way, modding this game is super easy (for now).

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Eric the Mauve posted:

Uhh.... :confused: It requires nothing besides BepInEx (which all Valheim mods require) and installation is just a manual download and cut/paste. Most Valheim mods are this way, modding this game is super easy (for now).

Your right that it’s not actually that much work, but it is way more than today’s standard of “subscribe to thing on workshop” or “extract files here”. I wouldn’t worry about it though, I imagine this is something that will get some priority eventually, it’s definitely a game that hugely benefits from a healthy mod community.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Fuzz posted:

That mod seems cool but I play on a dedicated server and ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh that thing requires you to install two other mods plus the stupid Nexus Mod Manager and Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'd rather not fall into a cave of depression and suicidal ideation over a game.

Virtually all mods are client side. As in you can be running pretty much any collection of mods you want independently of the server AND any other player on that server.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fuzz posted:

It is generally tedious and terrible. What I found worked much better on my second pier was to raise tiny strips of land out into the sea and then build on that, but that was before the latest change to Raise Ground, so it might not even work any more.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My long term hope for boats in Valheim is something equivalent to the Cyclops from Subnautica (and a reason to have it). Forget a built in chest, make it a cargo hold where you can build your own chests. Bonfire on the deck, hearths below. Space for all your crafting benches and upgrades. Hang a Karve over the side for lowering into the water (I also want pulleys).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

My long term hope for boats in Valheim is something equivalent to the Cyclops from Subnautica (and a reason to have it). Forget a built in chest, make it a cargo hold where you can build your own chests. Bonfire on the deck, hearths below. Space for all your crafting benches and upgrades. Hang a Karve over the side for lowering into the water (I also want pulleys).

I cheated and loaded up a cart, then filled it, then drove it onto the boat and smashed it. This created a bunch of cargo boxes sitting on the Karve, and then you just remove everything except 1 thing in one slot, so they don't despawn (in my case, I just left a single stone in each box). A few fell over the side, but I got 4 of them on there, so that's 12 extra slots of cargo space.

Tedious and dumb, but it's an option. Ideally they just make the boat system more robust and let you upgrade parts of the boat.