Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
If anyone was in the market, it looks like most Keychron keyboards are part of Prime Day. Hot swappable K2 is still out of stock but everything else seems to be available.

I’ve spent the past few days trying to decide if I wanted to go all in on a GMMK Pro or buy a K8 to mess around with different switches. Going by the conversation over past couple of pages, I’m probably just going to buy the K8 now and wait for a V2 of the Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

While I'm eye-rolling at all the passive aggressive reaction emoji's the keeb community members have on Glorious' changes, the thing doesn't even compile. Whole lotta wasted time here, come on guysss

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sacred Cow posted:

If anyone was in the market, it looks like most Keychron keyboards are part of Prime Day. Hot swappable K2 is still out of stock but everything else seems to be available.

I’ve spent the past few days trying to decide if I wanted to go all in on a GMMK Pro or buy a K8 to mess around with different switches. Going by the conversation over past couple of pages, I’m probably just going to buy the K8 now and wait for a V2 of the Pro.

Yeah I've got a bag of gateron yellows, kailh bronze, box navy and box blue that I've been lazy about doing anything with. I was looking on amazon for the last couple of weeks and with the sale I picked up a Keychron C1 to try some of them in. It was $65 previously but it was $51 earlier today (although the price seems to have gone back up).

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 21, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks thread. For $55 a K6 was too good a deal to pass up for a wireless mechanical keyboard I can take when I travel, and I just booked a house sitting gig for all of August and don't want to carry my K320 with me. I figure this is a good way of testing Gateron Browns as well. Now I just need to find a case for it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

hbag posted:

i dont know
i really dont

is it even worth returning it? i mean its ONE key and i can probably use blank keycaps i guess????

Man and I thought I had anxiety. Just refuse the delivery.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

got an email saying i need to pay customs fees and if i want to return it instead to contact support
but support said to refuse the delivery when itgets here
im emailing them again
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hbag posted:

got an email saying i need to pay customs fees and if i want to return it instead to contact support
but support said to refuse the delivery when itgets here
im emailing them again
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

you can ignore it for a few weeks and her majesty's revenue and customs service will send it back, or you can pay the fees, refuse delivery, and get the fees refunded using the forms at the bottom of that page if you want to shave a month off your time in limbo.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Midjack posted:

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

you can ignore it for a few weeks and her majesty's revenue and customs service will send it back, or you can pay the fees, refuse delivery, and get the fees refunded using the forms at the bottom of that page if you want to shave a month off your time in limbo.

yeah the thing about that is the email i got said it'd be either sent back OR destroyed
and of course if they destroy it i wont be able to get a refund (because it won't have been sent back)
but i dont see anything on the transglobal page to tell them to return it
they said to contact the seller, the seller's telling me to contact transglobal

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hbag posted:

yeah the thing about that is the email i got said it'd be either sent back OR destroyed
and of course if they destroy it i wont be able to get a refund (because it won't have been sent back)
but i dont see anything on the transglobal page to tell them to return it
they said to contact the seller, the seller's telling me to contact transglobal

if transglobal has the shipment talk to them, if things work like they used to they can pull it back from customs so you won't have to pay the duty on it only to refund it. if c&r won't release it back to them then you'll jsut have to pay the tax, refuse the delivery, and get the tax refunded.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Midjack posted:

if transglobal has the shipment talk to them, if things work like they used to they can pull it back from customs so you won't have to pay the duty on it only to refund it. if c&r won't release it back to them then you'll jsut have to pay the tax, refuse the delivery, and get the tax refunded.

aight

am i being too weird in my emails? idk

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hbag posted:

aight

am i being too weird in my emails? idk

that seems like a good enough opening though you might end up with several volleys back and forth before it resolves. you will probably get faster resolution if you try the phone number they list at the top of the transglobal home page when they open in the morning.

edit: the departure from the eu may mean c&r is doing things differently and/or transglobal is too busy to do interception so cross fingers that it works but mentally psych yourself up to pay the import duties and get them refunded if it doesn't.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 22, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Midjack posted:

that seems like a good enough opening though you might end up with several volleys back and forth before it resolves. you will probably get faster resolution if you try the phone number they list at the top of the transglobal home page when they open in the morning.

edit: the departure from the eu may mean c&r is doing things differently and/or transglobal is too busy to do interception so cross fingers that it works but mentally psych yourself up to pay the import duties and get them refunded if it doesn't.

talking to someone on the phone?
surely you jest

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
loving lol that this company is incurring themselves shipping fees, plus product held up in customs, plus the fee they'll probably be charged by their shipper for sending it back from customs. Rather than just figure out how to cancel a order.

(Plus making their customer do all the work for returns.)

My prediction is that after dicking around with customs for a while you will be left in a situation where one company says they shipped it back and the other company says they never got it so you can't have a refund. At which point you should take all these emails as a record that you tried everything, and dispute all charges with your CC.

Is glorious just a pure drop shipping company where everything is basically direct from a factory in china? I guess that would make sense for why they can't cancel orders once they're in the queue.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Klyith posted:

Is glorious just a pure drop shipping company where everything is basically direct from a factory in china? I guess that would make sense for why they can't cancel orders once they're in the queue.

That doesn't sound very master race to me. :godwin:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommendations for a wireless mechanical keyboard, ~80% (or something with F keys, no numpad needed), and MX Browns?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommendations for a wireless mechanical keyboard, ~80% (or something with F keys, no numpad needed), and MX Browns?

https://smile.amazon.com/RK-ROYAL-K...355&sr=8-3&th=1

They're not real Cherry MX Browns, they're clones. They can be swapped out for real MX Browns if you'd like. Keychron K2 or K8 might work too. They also have cherry mx brown clones.

Good news if you're waiting on a GMMK Pro:

https://twitter.com/Glorious/status/1407715212799758345

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I just got that email even though I cancelled my gmmk pro reservation a few days ago and got my $100 back. it's okay I don't really want it anymore, stings a little bit though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's an easy to clean, wired, mechanical keyboard? I love my Ozone Strike Pro (lol at this name) but it gets dusty and hairy and pulling all the keys, cleaning it, and putting them back on is the work of at least an hour.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Gort posted:

What's an easy to clean, wired, mechanical keyboard? I love my Ozone Strike Pro (lol at this name) but it gets dusty and hairy and pulling all the keys, cleaning it, and putting them back on is the work of at least an hour.

Any low-profile keyboard like this will be easier to clean:
https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

You can just blast some air right under the keys and get most of the dust right out. It's also a pretty good keyboard for the price.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Keeping up with maintenance also helps too. I never took care of my old Corsair and while it's not like, disgusting or anything, there's still plenty of dust in there that will need more than air to blast out.

Giving my board a weekly puff of compressed air keeps it nice and clean. Maybe try that?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I just flip my keyboard upside down and shake it over my open mouth to catch all the bits - it’s like getting an extra potato chip.

Joking aside, I just pop off the caps and put them in lukewarm water with a drop of soap and shake them up. I take them out and lay them out on a towel and cover it with another. While they’re drying I take a can of compressed air or a small vacuum nozzle and get all the bits of hair and crumbs out while hitting it with a small brush to loosen it up.

Additionally, if your keyboard came with one of those clear molded covers for it, keep it and put it over it when you’re not using it, really helps keep the dust out. Or just wrap it in plastic like an Italian grandma’s couch.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Use an actual vacuum on your keyboard to suck out crumbs & pet hair. Unless you replace keycaps so often that your stems are worn down, and the vacuum will suck the caps right off the board.

As for cleaning the caps themselves, I like 75-85% rubbing alcohol. Gets the active surfaces clean with just a paper towel and some rubbing, without needing to pull the caps off. Occasionally a qtip w/ alcohol on the sides if they have noticeable grunge. But only because I don't have any caps with a UV coating. If you have a UV coat you need to avoid alcohol.

But also, it's IMO another great argument for why LEDs are dumb. Keyboards are inherently gross. Even models that are easier to clean with the integrated case/backplate floating keys ala Corsair or GMMK. Shining a light on it makes it look 10x filthier.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Additionally, if your keyboard came with one of those clear molded covers for it, keep it and put it over it when you’re not using it, really helps keep the dust out. Or just wrap it in plastic like an Italian grandma’s couch.

Hmmm, my mom has gotten way into crochet since she retired. I should commission a keyboard cozy!

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Spent this week going all in on components, ordered through like 4 different suppliers which makes it easier to not think about the total cost of this build.

Tofu60 in white
DZ60 RGB V2 hotswap
Brass Plate
DZ60 plate foam
Glorious Panda switch set (wanted the Drop Invyr pandas but they're sold out of 70 packs)
Durock Screw in Stabilizers
Custom USB coil with aero connectors off ETSY

Reusing a budget-ish key cap set I bought a couple of months ago but keeping my eye on upcoming group buys to nab a GMK set that strikes my fancy.

Still need to pick up some lube and lubing accessories. I love this dumb, expensive hobby!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay I got a vortex race 3 on sale. Great keyboard, no rust issues (I checked) and I really like it. But I'm on mac, and while it's easy to enter mac mode, how the hell do I change the RBG colors keep them just on a steady color? I can get the whole keyboard to turn green by hitting function control, but I can't type on it. and if I hit random keys it just flashes random colors. The instruction manual online is terrible. Help me out thread. I've even done the old youtube search and it's led to jack poo poo.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mode65 group buy is up and running. And if you are an ISO user, your in luck as it's got an ISO hotswap option in addition to the ANSI hotswap option.

https://shop.modedesigns.com/collections/sixtyfive/products/sixtyfive

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

LionArcher posted:

Okay I got a vortex race 3 on sale. Great keyboard, no rust issues (I checked) and I really like it. But I'm on mac, and while it's easy to enter mac mode, how the hell do I change the RBG colors keep them just on a steady color? I can get the whole keyboard to turn green by hitting function control, but I can't type on it. and if I hit random keys it just flashes random colors. The instruction manual online is terrible. Help me out thread. I've even done the old youtube search and it's led to jack poo poo.

I'm on Windows but I just hit like Pn + 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 and it does random poo poo. I think the 1, 2, and 3 with Pn makes it solid R G or B at different shades.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm on Windows but I just hit like Pn + 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 and it does random poo poo. I think the 1, 2, and 3 with Pn makes it solid R G or B at different shades.

Yeah it's not working for me. I can get keys I hit to now blink pink, and I'm wondering if I somehow put it on a programing layer and that's why I can't just get it to act normal. currently the spacebar only is green and that's it. Lol. Still love the keyboard, just would like to have basic RBG colors.

Edit. I hit the wrong fn key and now I can at least get the keyboard to be a solid keyboard but have no clue to figure out what color. Thanks thread this drat board could have a hell of a lot better instructions.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 25, 2021

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Ordered my Mode65 today. Maroon top, lilac backpiece and bottom, ANSI hotswap, POM and brass plates, foam, silicone the works.

Kinda want to grab a FR4 plate too...

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I'd like a keyboard recommendation, please.

mechanical
full size
UK layout (out of the box)
wireless - multiple devices. I've a desktop and laptop I want to switch between, and occasionally a second laptop
backlighting - not absolutely required but would be good, no need for multicolour
brown/tactile switches would be preferred, absolutely not linear

Razer Pro Type seemed reasonable (if a bit 'everything exposed') but that's US layout only and I just want to be able to plug and play.
Logitech G613 is limited in switch choice and doesn't have backlighting
Logitech G513 seems ideal except for being wired/single device
G915? Price is getting a bit ouch
Ditto the Razer Black Widow v3 Pro

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, your feature list really narrows down the list of keyboards to very very few, if any. If you're willing to look a TKL or an ANSI (non-UK) layout, you'll have some more options.

I'd also recommend looking at Keychron boards. I don't know if they have UK layout, but they're wireless, affordable and well-built.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The have ISO UK, DE, and NL I believe but not in a full keyboard layout, just the compact 96% layout.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Thanks.

I'm going to regret this, but what options could there be for non-UK layouts that could be swapped to UK by a clumsy amateur?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Clarence posted:

Thanks.

I'm going to regret this, but what options could there be for non-UK layouts that could be swapped to UK by a clumsy amateur?

If you get a board that support QMK (and there are a lot of those) you can create your own keymapping and recreate UK or any variation you can come up with.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Clarence posted:

Thanks.

The previous page has extensive discussion. In short, it's totally possible using nothing but the OS. But:
1. You should look at the 2 keyboard layouts and think about it before you buy
2. If you really want ISO, buy ISO

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ive been doing a project to make a 108 keyboard.. my own thing. Started with an Akko Macaw board, desoldered all switches, replaced with Gateron/Akko Orange switches. Turns out the loving Macaw caps are just not that well made, they wiggle and have busted stems. Sadness. So much work!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Welp, the USB connection on my GMMK Pro has died so time to figure out how to get a refund on this thing.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

LionArcher posted:

Yeah it's not working for me. I can get keys I hit to now blink pink, and I'm wondering if I somehow put it on a programing layer and that's why I can't just get it to act normal. currently the spacebar only is green and that's it. Lol. Still love the keyboard, just would like to have basic RBG colors.

Edit. I hit the wrong fn key and now I can at least get the keyboard to be a solid keyboard but have no clue to figure out what color. Thanks thread this drat board could have a hell of a lot better instructions.

Yea, there is a Pn key in the top right and a Fn key in the bottom right row. You want to use the Pn key in the top right hand corner. Now that I am home...

Pn + 5 should cycle through all the modes (flashing, random, low white glow, and solid color)

When you get to the solid color mode... Hit Pn +1, 2, or 3 a bunch of times in a row to get different shades of different colors.

Pn+4 turns the mode into the keys lighting up in certain ways when you type

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

redeyes posted:

Ive been doing a project to make a 108 keyboard.. my own thing. Started with an Akko Macaw board, desoldered all switches, replaced with Gateron/Akko Orange switches. Turns out the loving Macaw caps are just not that well made, they wiggle and have busted stems. Sadness. So much work!

Look at it as an opportunity to get some new caps! Normally you need to justify getting another set, now you have a perfectly valid reason.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I've ordered a Keychron K4. It does 96% of what I wanted :dadjoke: so just have the slight adjustment to make to the more compact layout. And it's half the cost of the Razer and Logitech.

Thanks for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Clarence posted:

I've ordered a Keychron K4. It does 96% of what I wanted :dadjoke: so just have the slight adjustment to make to the more compact layout. And it's half the cost of the Razer and Logitech.

Thanks for the advice!

Let me know how you like it! Planning to return the GMMK Pro that broke for a refund.