Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pohl posted:

I can post completely structured sentences and not call names. How is that an example of bad behavior?
I guess you didn't like it, but that doesn't matter to me, I don't care.

I think taking a dump (without any follow up as well) on another poster in a feedback thread is actually bad behavior, yes.

That said, it is a subject for another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Pohls also right and it sucks that a bunch of people even itt are like, "woah, I skimmed the cspam covid thread several months ago and I am sincerely and with level 0 irony concerned that thread is actually mentally damaged" with zero push back from the leftist forum mods/IKs. that's an incredibly lovely thing to say for a whole host of reasons and worse, isn't even said for a laugh

not only is the thread not monolith (lots of people from all over the forums contribute articles they've found, analysis, support, differing view points, jokes!!, etc) the most doomer of posters have all stopped posting over time as they've gotten bored, banned in other threads, simply changed their minds as they learn different information, or don't really get a reaction

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is there a way we can discuss the covid thread? maybe tomorrow? I don't want to be antagonistic towards them, either, but I do think it bears talking about

maybe try posting in the covid thread and feel that community out?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Ardennes posted:

I think taking a dump (without any follow up as well) on another poster in a feedback thread is actually bad behavior, yes.

I was told to stop so I did. Not sure what you expect from me and I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, I just think you suck.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I will add "Pohl and Ardennes have beef" to the list of stuff I've learned today, and ask that you both please move on, this time without any "sorry I'll drop it and [continues it basically]" stuff.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

whatever the tried and true method of picking mods is it hasn't had great results in my experience. i can probably count the good mods on one hand (majorian, zorak) otherwise they've largely been absentee, antagonistic, abusive, vindictive, hypocritical and/or utterly inept.

It probably would be better to have like 2 rotating mod positions that change each month, maybe someone would make a good mod and they don't know it yet. plus it might give people some perspective

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Ardennes posted:

It's still feedback and sounds like it was given in earnest

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Shine posted:

I will add "Pohl and Ardennes have beef" to the list of stuff I've learned today, and ask that you both please move on, this time without any "sorry I'll drop it and [continues it basically]" stuff.

there's too many beefs in general

we must end them and that includes the ones with other subforums

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Uncle Wemus posted:

whatever the tried and true method of picking mods is it hasn't had great results in my experience. i can probably count the good mods on one hand (majorian, zorak) otherwise they've largely been absentee, antagonistic, abusive, vindictive, hypocritical and/or utterly inept.

It probably would be better to have like 2 rotating mod positions that change each month, maybe someone would make a good mod and they don't know it yet. plus it might give people some perspective

I would say this is A) unrealistic because even though you can technically learn how to use your buttons and navigate all the secret forums and whatnot in a week or two, everyone fucks it and commits some mistake or another and needs to learn from it, and it takes a good month or two at the very least before you’re really worn into your shoes and running around being a proper mod, and B) that already exists in some form because all the IKs are sorts of mini-mods, and seeing how they moderate a single discussion thread (or multiple!) is a good preview of how they would function as a mod. So if you paid attention to the IKs (the way the mods do, ideally) then you would also have some perspective on how different people from within c-spam handle their button-having

twoday has issued a correction as of 05:07 on Jun 26, 2021

twoday
May 4, 2005

CODChimera posted:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

CODChimera posted:

subforum drama is the lamest of all drama. just head-shakingly sad

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fosborb posted:

I agree with you there, my man.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

fosborb posted:

But PPJ's war against C-SPAM was peak SA? :thunk:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Uncle Wemus posted:

BrutalistMcDonalds was also a mod, and no one took any issue with him. I think the most button pressing he did was probe a racist goon in the alt right thread.

Flavius was picked right from the Trump thread and from the getgo people had problems with him. People even complained about him in QCS, and got told that they were wrong, and flavius was a good mod. When Twoday started moding he handed out a bunch of probations because people were trolling one of his poster friend's threads. There was also a threadshitting rule put into place.

People just want mods that don't interfere outside of probing people for racism and stuff like that. It should really be that simple.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it's unhealthy to post endlessly about a single negative topic for months on end, whether it's trump or covid or everest or doobie's dog house. i think this is probably what a lot of people mean by 'megathreads', not e.g. the regional threads that might be of similar length.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

AnimeIsTrash posted:

People just want mods that don't interfere outside of probing people for racism and stuff like that. It should really be that simple.

People in this thread have said maybe mods should step in and say something when a person becomes too annoying in a thread and it's just enough already, so things are never just that simple.

Now, probing for racism is that simple, just click the little "Queue Ban" button.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

fosborb posted:

Pohls also right and it sucks that a bunch of people even itt are like, "woah, I skimmed the cspam covid thread several months ago and I am sincerely and with level 0 irony concerned that thread is actually mentally damaged" with zero push back from the leftist forum mods/IKs. that's an incredibly lovely thing to say for a whole host of reasons and worse, isn't even said for a laugh

not only is the thread not monolith (lots of people from all over the forums contribute articles they've found, analysis, support, differing view points, jokes!!, etc) the most doomer of posters have all stopped posting over time as they've gotten bored, banned in other threads, simply changed their minds as they learn different information, or don't really get a reaction

maybe try posting in the covid thread and feel that community out?

the covid thread is good imo. it's only problem has been an undercurrent of posters who genuinely seem to want more catastrophe - but bad posts do eat probes, and no one complains.

the thread has also mellowed considerably recently. it's like half Australians at this point.

i like c-spam, and i've learned a lot by posting here. the ethos of leftist shitposting works pretty well without a lot of moderation

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm just going to say again that the nature of the covid thread is so bizarrely unique that it feels like it's a bad example for anything about CSPAM. And trying to strongly moderate it feels silly when we have a D&D covid thread.

I'm not shocked the thread about the horrible world wide pandemic that's negatively impacted a lot of people can be dark and sad and negative. Mods can't fix that.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this is a good example of why big long megathreads get... not gonna say 'bad', but 'touchy'. people decide its gone bad, other people get defensive, then you get battlements and some slit throats instead of people just viewing any particular thread as something they're free to waltz into and shoot the poo poo in.

this kinds of fangs out metadiscussion can be fun but its also just tends to go on and on in circles to the point it just starts getting kind of shameful. on the mod side kind of feel like if a threads gone bad its not something that should be turned into a restoration project, its something you just throw in the dumpster. people can just remake it then, or don't. such a thing as too much sentimentality sometimes.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Twoday said some really important stuff that I don't want to get lost in arguing about the covid thread. I believe them that no admin understands c-spam and so I applaud the two admins in here now. This is a busy forum, it's important to SA.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Spinz posted:

I applaud the two admins in here now. This is a busy forum, it's important to SA.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CODChimera posted:

yes. no one is out to get you. please just relax.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

this is a good example of why big long megathreads get... not gonna say 'bad', but 'touchy'. people decide its gone bad, other people get defensive, then you get battlements and some slit throats instead of people just viewing any particular thread as something they're free to waltz into and shoot the poo poo in.

this kinds of fangs out metadiscussion can be fun but its also just tends to go on and on in circles to the point it just starts getting kind of shameful. on the mod side kind of feel like if a threads gone bad its not something that should be turned into a restoration project, its something you just throw in the dumpster. people can just remake it then, or don't. such a thing as too much sentimentality sometimes.

I don't like megathreads because I think they balkanize the forum too much but I acknowledge they aren't going anywhere and that's cool. my only bad experience was noticing posters of a particular thread coming out and making GBS threads up other threads that they seemed to have decided were really bad, employing the same misspelling someone's name chain posting that they can already do in their megathread. it's not that bad, it's not something I can't just scroll by, it just kind of sucks.

exmarx posted:

it's unhealthy to post endlessly about a single negative topic for months on end, whether it's trump or covid or everest or doobie's dog house. i think this is probably what a lot of people mean by 'megathreads', not e.g. the regional threads that might be of similar length.

this is the fundamental problem of megathreads, yeah. once goons run out of content to mine it just becomes a recursive posting shithole.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Jun 26, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

personally i think action should be taken against people who regularly deny genocide exists but the last time i brought this up main painframe claims it's jeff's fault

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I just like talking with other leftists about stuff without feeling like people think I'm loving insane, which is what happens when I try to talk about anything political outside of cspam.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

CODChimera posted:

less beefs more beefers

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i think it is fine if threads a doomer in the leftist forum because the state of the left at the present time is doomer

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

CODChimera posted:

I've always seen cia-spam as a political shitposting zone, because that's how i remember it starting. Live-posting debates and making funny jokes about the 2016 election. It's still mostly that, which is good. I keep seeing posters repeat the idea that C-SPAM is some kind of 'leftist island in a sea of liberals' and it's really weird to me. Cause I read and post in the rest of the forums and it doesn't really hold up. Insularity is bad for threads and it's bad for subforums. You should discourage it in your posting pals.
:justpost:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Spinz posted:

Twoday said some really important stuff that I don't want to get lost in arguing about the covid thread. I believe them that no admin understands c-spam and so I applaud the two admins in here now. This is a busy forum, it's important to SA.

I personally had only experienced C-SPAM thus far through clearing the report forum and skimming QCS, which is, like, the worst way to get to know any forum. Taking those two extremely biased samples at face value, I'd be like "so is this a forum where white people will call me a traitor to Black America because I'm lightskinned, or some poo poo?" and that's not fair to C-SPAM. Hearing people talk about why C-SPAM is important to them has been an endearing experience.

I'm not sure I have the time to get all that engrossed here (I'm more of a "help with behind-the-scenes poo poo" admin and I barely have time to keep up with threads I love in other forums) but I will probably at least bookmark the fitness thread.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it definitely started IN PART to get some space for leftists to post away from liberals. as far as I remember it. it was a long time ago

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

have you tried reading C-SPAM threads

twoday
May 4, 2005

Shine posted:

I personally had only experienced C-SPAM thus far through clearing the report forum and skimming QCS, which is, like, the worst way to get to know any forum. Taking those two extremely biased samples at face value, I'd be like "so is this a forum where white people will call me a traitor to Black America because I'm lightskinned, or some poo poo?" and that's not fair to C-SPAM. Hearing people talk about why C-SPAM is important to them has been an endearing experience.

I'm not sure I have the time to get all that engrossed here (I'm more of a "help with behind-the-scenes poo poo" admin and I barely have time to keep up with threads I love in other forums) but I will probably at least bookmark the fitness thread.

Good.

The reports are really 90% non-actionable, and a bunch of them are by people with weird specific grudges. Read through the history of the misc and bullshit reports forum if you want to get a better idea, some (not all) have explanations of how and why they are bullshit or misc.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I just like talking with other leftists about stuff without feeling like people think I'm loving insane, which is what happens when I try to talk about anything political outside of cspam.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
im not reading all of this thread, so it may have been posted already. c-spam is at its worst when posters post about each other instead of whatever the thread topic is. it's boring and brings out the worst people.

that's all i got, voted 5

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I like cspam, I can post about how I hate capitalism, governments not taking care of people, racism, discrimination among other social issues and also be hyperbolic with a sprinkle of poo poo posting that is cathartic

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

cspam? is that the new subway sandwich?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

euphronius posted:

it definitely started IN PART to get some space for leftists to post away from liberals. as far as I remember it. it was a long time ago

this was the organic result of half of d&d departing for election erection as soon as it appeared hoping for a different posting vibe. we all happened to be likeminded enough for something cool to materialize, and also boosted and his crew of maga weirdos were there too to provide a suitably absurd villain for our founding mythology

i really don't think cspam is founded on "leftism" as such. that's just how things developed as a sort of natural result of which people ended up here. you just gotta look at everybody's favorite sewer duck, baloogan, to see that "opposition" posters can be successful particularly with a strong gimmick and sufficient alcohol. most of the people who show up intending to own the left end up just being humorless weirdos which is way less fun.

anyway i think a poster earlier had it right when they said that absurdism is sort of the core theme here

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Athanatos posted:

• People who deserve recognition for being great here and adding to the community. Forums are nothing without worth-a-poo poo people, who is under-recognized and deserves some props?

wrt the covid thread, there are lots of people who post consistently informative articles, making it one of the best single locations on the internet for aggregated covid news. less helpfully, for tweets too. why do I know my kid likely won't be eligible to be fully vaccinated until at least 2 months into school, and we have to prepare for mandatory in person school now? covid thread synthesizing several articles, pharmaceutical CEO statements, and historical timelines for other cohorts.

pingui is the most prolific with articles and studies, though there are many others. there are also posters like Though who have built their own databases/trackers to watch daily/weekly trends in their communities, to see, for instance, how state reporting is changing over time when only a weekly snap shot is posted.

there are also a sizeable number of Australians posting who mostly just mock the primarily US user base for what they could be having, and that's good too.

beyond that, when vaccines first started rolling out, the thread was an invaluable resource to find a local vaccine when supplies in the US were still constrained. too many to name here; everyone pitched in to get everyone and their families vaccinated as quickly as possible.

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

Bearjew posted:

cspam? is that the new subway sandwich?

no no, we don't post about that jared

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shine posted:

Taking those two extremely biased samples at face value, I'd be like "so is this a forum where white people will call me a traitor to Black America because I'm lightskinned, or some poo poo?" and that's not fair to C-SPAM.

You're welcome :911:

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

this forum sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I thought this was a the poo poo-posting version of D&D with a more leftist lean. I mosey all over these fine forums. I like that CSPAM is both relax fit and also had a bit of a leftist "safe space" quality. Its nice that even if we're talking about gaming or baseball there's usually a sort of leftist lean and lens over the conversation.

For the most part though SA seems to have become a more liberal/left-of-center forum though so it hasn't become a den of white supremacists and Gamergate types even if you do venture out beyond CSPAM.

But I think trying to make it more rigid is going to backfire and just turn this into D&D2 with a light Marxist flavor.

The Glenn Greenwald thread is weird though. But I guess it would be killed if it were shipped to D&D.