Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
CSPAM is kind of like a mixtape pulling from all over the forum. It's mostly non-awful D&D stuff, because that's where the largest ideological/posting-style differences exists, but you'll get a video game thread, a mental health thread and a cooking thread that are a refreshing mix of effortposting and shitposting. I don't think complaining about CSPAM chat threads is fair; those are the norm in most of the other subforums as well at this point, and probably just indicative of the age of this community.

I see CSPAM posters being active across the site. Most of the time it feels more like places such as D&D are the quarantine forums, which require strict rules and sympathetic mods to keep the discourse and culture from naturally aligning with the dominant trend. With a significant change in how the site is moderated, specifically when it comes to making fun of libs and calling shitheads what they are to their face you'd probably not need a CSPAM after a period of adjustment. It would all be CSPAM at that point, and what a glorious day that would be.

The worst part about CSPAM are the feedback threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
im just a simple country marijuana grow op attorney, but

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Office Pig posted:

would squizzle redeem himself by banning himself

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's cool how "weed lawyer" is a viable career now

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
if anything this is what people mean when they say the chat thread spills out and why people end up finding each other extremely unbearable

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
yeah it spills out when weirdos follow harton and complain about him, i guess.

is there anything c-spam can do to make harton less powerrful? or must we now acknowlege him as our god?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my efforts to know absolutely nothing about that very byob person are being thwarted and i dont like it

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my efforts to know absolutely nothing about that very byob person are being thwarted and i dont like it

you are simply too weak to ignore harton. he is too high to acknowledge your existence, but you are are aware of him. he has won and you should accept it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
forum is full of liberals and needs deleted. thanks mods :tipshat:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this is just creating more beefs

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nobody followed him, you dipshits started posting about it here and now people are explaining why they don't like it when that happens.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
just boofed from my vape pen. harton is, was, and will alwys be right

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

CODChimera posted:

this is just creating more beefs

i think we can move on now, i think everyones given their point of view and this thread probably dont need several pages of this

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
i use 2-3 threads in this forum to read in lowercase about insane capitalism poo poo and every bit of covid news i can find, even the stuff that's wrong. there's also a parents thread that seems good if i ever have kids. it is a nice mix between topics i care about and posting for fun, sort of like the original wddp thread from 2007-2008, but with less drama. or LF but with more chat and fewer secret service visits. i also like that the mods don't seem to get too involved and most problems are resolved with posting. i can always put someone truly unbearable on ignore. i do sometimes post in d&d too so i am glad there are both. it is good that there are different things.

in conclusion, cspam is a land of contrasts, but it seems mostly fine, to me. i do appreciate the admins checking in to see what can be done about a spirit of continuous improvement w/o being too prescriptive, it is very comradely of you.

btw i read the first page of this thread and nothing in between. cspam is for posting and reading is optional imho.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

cumshitter posted:

just boofed from my vape pen. harton is, was, and will alwys be right

wow yeah that is really funny

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
im now a glenn greenwald guy but for harton and this is acutally way easier since harton has no strong opinions

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Athanatos posted:

At odds how? Does that make CSPAM a Safe Spot or a Quarantine Zone? Kinda joking with that 2nd question one there...but also wouldn't mind some elaboration.
Call it what you want, but I see it as neither. it's a place for everything from shitposting to actual discussion of things from a political angle. Look at my posts in the SAL space thread compared to my posts in the Musk thread and mostly defunct CSPAM space thread and you'll see what I mean. Any topic with a political angle might have a corresponding thread here; people in games might just want to enjoy a game, but once you get into the political aspect it can be perfectly reasonable to point people to a related post here.

It's the de facto leftist spot on SA - walk into a coffee shop or beer hall and we're the table you decide to sit at. There's no reason to make it a competition.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I love cspam because it sort of fills the current events itch that I used to go to GBS for, has a lot of good discussion but isn’t oppressive like D&D

I would like a forever stickied current events thread with a poo poo posting ban

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I like cspam cause I can shitpost about stuff in various related threads with folk while sometimes real rad effortposts related to those things happen too.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

let my people post!!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It was mentioned earlier that C-SPAM isn't a single community, but an aggregate of several, and I decided to actually do some stats on it. I took the non-sticky threads on the first page with more than a hundred posts, and looked at how large a percentage of posts the top 30 posters of that were responsible for, and how much overlap they had with the top 30 posters of other threads:

As can be seen, the top 30 posters generally represent a significant chunk of total posts (weighted average 41%), so I think it's fair to say that they actually define the tone of a thread. Even in the threads with low percentages, every third post is by a top 30 poster, and then it goes all the way to only every tenth posts being from a non-top 30 poster.

If we accept that the top 30 are pretty representative of the tone of any given thread, then we can see which threads are fringe within C-SPAM and which are more universally C-SPAM. At one end, you have Copecasts and Poop Culture, at the other, auspol and CSPAM CHAT. Of course, a thread can be fringe for reasons both of posting culture, and topic. auspol is obviously a case of being a regional topic, not particularly interesting to non-Australians, but the same explanation doesn't hold for the chat thread. It's pretty obvious that that thread has a culture divorced from the general C-SPAM culture, which can be fine, but is certainly a reason to skip it when searching for new mods.

The obvious threads to look for new mods in, if you want ones that have a broader understanding of C-SPAM "culture", would be the ones where there's more overlap - a sign on noninsularity and broader appeal. They're less likely to get a blinkered view of the forum, less likely to develop tribalistic tendencies in regards to other threads and the posters in them, which should overall make them better mods - and certainly more accepted by the community. Given that trust is like the #1 thing that needs to be built up, broad appeal seems important.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

if anything this is what people mean when they say the chat thread spills out and why people end up finding each other extremely unbearable
Agreed. Posters too immersed in a singular chat culture seem incapable of switching into a different "voice" appropriate to the thread they're posting in. That's why people get annoyed at "chat thread posters", and why (as mentioned earlier) they're really easy to sniff out when they attempt to defend their "posting pals" in QCS. They're also a big part of why "C-SPAM" got such a bad rep in QCS, because they're nearly the only ones that read as 100% C-SPAM, since most other C-SPAM posters can post normally and not register as a C-SPAM posters.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ArmZ posted:

let my people post!!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
poofing a beefer is not funny
people getting mad about poofing a beefer is pretty amusing

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

why do weirdos keep coming in with demographic data of c-spam? can this forum be better run if we understand the number of the posts?

the entire point of gulliver in the land of the lilliputians is that demographic data and knowledge led the lilliputians to decide that yes, the better decision was to kill gulliver rather than keep him as a weapon. swift's point was literally: This new science of demographics will be used to kill the irish

also i didnt look at your tiny and smudged chart

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
athanatos! athanatos! im the biggest nerd and ive run the numbers on how to make your job as a mod easier!!!

-someone with no sales experience ever

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
this is what posting trump does to a mf

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
data nerd poo poo is neat, i feed off of over analyzing numbers. tho i wonder how many ways you can shape that data to tell a different story, but i think its pretty relevant to the whole question of it the chat thread is a commons of the board or its own thing. ive always got the impression there's a divide, there's a lot of posters in that thread i dont really see much elsewhere and vice versa. i dont think its something to get defensive over.

itd be kind of fun to see poster crossover presented as one of those, uh, relational web things to see where theres poster crossover and there isnt. i dont think itd help anything at all, itd just be cool to look at.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i will use this data. to be gayer

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the data says im right. prove im wrong

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It was mentioned earlier that C-SPAM isn't a single community, but an aggregate of several, and I decided to actually do some stats on it. I took the non-sticky threads on the first page with more than a hundred posts, and looked at how large a percentage of posts the top 30 posters of that were responsible for, and how much overlap they had with the top 30 posters of other threads:

As can be seen, the top 30 posters generally represent a significant chunk of total posts (weighted average 41%), so I think it's fair to say that they actually define the tone of a thread. Even in the threads with low percentages, every third post is by a top 30 poster, and then it goes all the way to only every tenth posts being from a non-top 30 poster.

If we accept that the top 30 are pretty representative of the tone of any given thread, then we can see which threads are fringe within C-SPAM and which are more universally C-SPAM. At one end, you have Copecasts and Poop Culture, at the other, auspol and CSPAM CHAT. Of course, a thread can be fringe for reasons both of posting culture, and topic. auspol is obviously a case of being a regional topic, not particularly interesting to non-Australians, but the same explanation doesn't hold for the chat thread. It's pretty obvious that that thread has a culture divorced from the general C-SPAM culture, which can be fine, but is certainly a reason to skip it when searching for new mods.

The obvious threads to look for new mods in, if you want ones that have a broader understanding of C-SPAM "culture", would be the ones where there's more overlap - a sign on noninsularity and broader appeal. They're less likely to get a blinkered view of the forum, less likely to develop tribalistic tendencies in regards to other threads and the posters in them, which should overall make them better mods - and certainly more accepted by the community. Given that trust is like the #1 thing that needs to be built up, broad appeal seems important.

Agreed. Posters too immersed in a singular chat culture seem incapable of switching into a different "voice" appropriate to the thread they're posting in. That's why people get annoyed at "chat thread posters", and why (as mentioned earlier) they're really easy to sniff out when they attempt to defend their "posting pals" in QCS. They're also a big part of why "C-SPAM" got such a bad rep in QCS, because they're nearly the only ones that read as 100% C-SPAM, since most other C-SPAM posters can post normally and not register as a C-SPAM posters.

this is some dnd lib poo poo gently caress off nerd

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i copy every post i read into an excel spreadsheet, because i am normal

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

johnny mnemonic but all the data are crammed in my rear end. makes the ending with the dolphin more intelligible imho

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
using posting phrenology to submarine my perceived forum enemies

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

cumshitter put down the cocaine it's tomorrow now

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

cumshitter put down the cocaine it's tomorrow now

maybe this is a coke idea, but

the dorks close their c-spam.xcsl and dont save

and ill stop snorting

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

data nerd poo poo is neat, i feed off of over analyzing numbers. tho i wonder how many ways you can shape that data to tell a different story, but i think its pretty relevant to the whole question of it the chat thread is a commons of the board or its own thing. ive always got the impression there's a divide, there's a lot of posters in that thread i dont really see much elsewhere and vice versa. i dont think its something to get defensive over.

itd be kind of fun to see poster crossover presented as one of those, uh, relational web things to see where theres poster crossover and there isnt. i dont think itd help anything at all, itd just be cool to look at.
The people with access to the database could totally do it. Only really having access to the top 30 posters makes a weaker case, even with the dominance of people who post a lot.

And as an addendum to my suggestion, maybe picking some mods that also post in one or more other forums wouldn't be that bad. Like, just to get more rounded mods? Not saying they need to post a ton in other forums, or that we can't have extremely C-SPAM focused mods, but getting mods with slightly broader interests wouldn't hurt either.

cumshitter posted:

i copy every post i read into an excel spreadsheet, because i am normal
You've spent more time posting weird chat thread poo poo in this thread than I did loving with numbers.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

rotate the forums background regularly

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You've spent more time posting weird chat thread poo poo in this thread than I did loving with numbers.

you crunch forum data for fun to ~create a better forums experience~ dont you dare loving talk down to me

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
number hurt chat spam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, climate thread isn't dooming. They're just right and have the numbers to back it up.

iirc climate thread had a short "you must be this doomer to post" streak about 2 years ago i think, which made it real annoying to read, but it's chill now yeah