Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

See also: Empire Strikes Back

oh wait... it just preserved him. NM

There were no peas in his Carbonite, just a solo ingredient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
What is a good temperature to sear a steak or something at post-sous vide?

I used to do it over wood, and I think that got Extremely Hot, as it would make the stainless steel rack glow orange in spots.

I moved into an apartment, and I'm looking at getting some sort of outdoor cooking appliance to do my searing on. It seems that Weber propane grills are designed to cap out at 500 or 550 degrees; that seems kinda low to me.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Wok burner and cast iron pan works amazingly well. I use a 6kw burner I bought for outdoor cooking, as Wok + stove top = sad. But now I sear my steaks and do my burgs on there as well.

No idea about temp, I just wait for the pan to start smoking.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Zarin posted:

What is a good temperature to sear a steak or something at post-sous vide?

I used to do it over wood, and I think that got Extremely Hot, as it would make the stainless steel rack glow orange in spots.

I moved into an apartment, and I'm looking at getting some sort of outdoor cooking appliance to do my searing on. It seems that Weber propane grills are designed to cap out at 500 or 550 degrees; that seems kinda low to me.

I have a Weber propane grill and use Grill Grates on it and it gets an amazing seat. I flip the grates over and use the griddle/flat side for searing

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hopper posted:

Wok burner and cast iron pan works amazingly well. I use a 6kw burner I bought for outdoor cooking, as Wok + stove top = sad. But now I sear my steaks and do my burgs on there as well.

No idea about temp, I just wait for the pan to start smoking.

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/King-Kooker-...250501339&psc=1

Or something a bit nicer? (This was just the first link I saw on Amazon; I saw there was another for twice as much but I don't know what the difference was)

nwin posted:

I have a Weber propane grill and use Grill Grates on it and it gets an amazing seat. I flip the grates over and use the griddle/flat side for searing

Something like this?
https://www.weber.com/US/en/accesso...hQaAm8nEALw_wcB

Although you said yours has a flat side. I guess I have enough cast iron pans lying around that I could just use one of those, I suppose . . .

For your technique, do you put the steak on and close the lid for however long, then open/flip/close again? Or do you leave the lid open and continuously spoon butter over it as it goes or something?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zarin posted:

Something like this?

Or something a bit nicer? (This was just the first link I saw on Amazon; I saw there was another for twice as much but I don't know what the difference was)

Something far simpler. I have to use it on a balcony, so it has to be small. I use one similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Prop...or+srove&sr=8-6

But mine came from Aldi, has 6kw and cost 30€. I have it on a garden table with a 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft floor tile underneath that protects the table from the heat it radiates.

Pros: easily stowable, the slightly lower power of 6kw is easier to control for me as a beginner than a 15 kW burner, that cna burn your food real fast.
Cons: It is not a high heat wok burner and you need a table to put it on if you want to work in a comfortable position.

Edit: here is the German website with a pic. It's really a super simple setup but it gets the job done really well for my purposes.

https://www.aldi-sued.de/de/p.bbq-gaskocher.490000000000706716.html

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 26, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

Have heard grill grates are the poo poo. I just got measured for some because the ceramic coated ones that came with the grill are rusting like a bastard

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Zarin posted:

Something like this?

Something like this?
https://www.weber.com/US/en/accesso...hQaAm8nEALw_wcB

Although you said yours has a flat side. I guess I have enough cast iron pans lying around that I could just use one of those, I suppose . . .

For your technique, do you put the steak on and close the lid for however long, then open/flip/close again? Or do you leave the lid open and continuously spoon butter over it as it goes or something?

https://www.grillgrate.com

I don’t use butter-I just get the grill nice and
Hot and then flip the steak a bit until I get the sear I want.

life is killing me posted:

Have heard grill grates are the poo poo. I just got measured for some because the ceramic coated ones that came with the grill are rusting like a bastard

I love them-best thing I’ve bought for my grill in a long time.

Cleaning can be a pain if you use marinades/etc, but most of the stuff burns off and I can do a deep clean with soap every few months.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

Cleaning can be a pain if you use marinades/etc, but most of the stuff burns off and I can do a deep clean with soap every few months.

I was gonna try and use electrolysis for the rust on my stock grates but it’s eaten a good bit of them. GrillGrates are expensive but seem worth it so ima order them soon. But then I’ll wanna connect the grill to my home propane tank so I don’t have to exchange tanks anymore that half the time don’t work. I have a pickup truck but it’s a huge pain in the rear end anyway

So it’s gonna get expensive. Then I wanna buy one of the nicer Weber kettles. gently caress. Kissing money goodbye

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

I'm going to SV then smoke a turkey breast for a bbq next weekend. Will probably serve it in crusty rolls, but can't decide on what to put with it. Bacon and a spicy mayo maybe?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I was going to make mashed potatoes for the first time, but I didn't think so slice the potatoes before I sealed them. They're not giant, but they're not tiny. What do you guys think, safe to just put them in for longer? If so, does anyone have any thoughts on how long?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

So I was going to make mashed potatoes for the first time, but I didn't think so slice the potatoes before I sealed them. They're not giant, but they're not tiny. What do you guys think, safe to just put them in for longer? If so, does anyone have any thoughts on how long?

Are they peeled? If it it were me I’d slice them instead of dealing with the unknown that is how long it takes to poach a whole potato

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No, simply because I don't usually peel potatoes before mashing them.

Hmm... yeah, that would probably be best. I think I might just throw them in for a bunch of time and if I have to audible to something else, I can. Guess I'll report back!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

No, simply because I don't usually peel potatoes before mashing them.

Hmm... yeah, that would probably be best. I think I might just throw them in for a bunch of time and if I have to audible to something else, I can. Guess I'll report back!

Pro tip: a bit of sour cream can make some mashed potatoes smooth as butter if that’s your thing

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Report back: ~3 hours was long enough at 195 was enough to cook full potatoes through

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
your life might be a lil easier if you just did them at 212 for maybe fifteen-twenty minutes next time if your end goal is mashed potatoes

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Report back: ~3 hours was long enough at 195 was enough to cook full potatoes through

Nice.
Yeah, I've done big wedges for the retrograde mash before and also whole new potatoes for smashed and they both turned out well, but I couldn't remember time/temps offhand.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stalizard posted:

your life might be a lil easier if you just did them at 212 for maybe fifteen-twenty minutes next time if your end goal is mashed potatoes

I had no idea this was an option!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I had no idea this was an option!

This would be boiling them, so the old fashioned way

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ugh. If I wanted to boil them I'd have gone to the boiling food thread.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I know I was just pointing out that 212 is the boiling point of water, which is fine but it’s not sous vide

I’m assuming you wanted to see what kind of texture SV could bring the taters and I like your style

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh yeah! Sorry, wasn't like calling you out or anything. Thanks for explaining the joke to my dumb rear end.

Really it was just more of a timing thing. I had time the night before, but was strapped for time when cooking the day of. So I figured I'd try them, since I heard good things!

Worked out well. Made a Sheppard's pie type thing.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

nwin posted:

Well, guess I found the new upgrade for the genesis 300 I salvaged a few years ago.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Mashed taters freeze and reheat in sous vide really well too!

Last year when the grocery pickup staff misread my 3 units as 3 pounds I ended up with a poo poo ton of Yukon Golds. I made a giant batch of garlic smashed. Divided what didn’t get eaten at dinner into hockey puck portions, pre-froze and then sealed them up.

I was sad when I ate the last one because being able to just dunk a serving in the bath to defrost straight to 190 was awesome. Maybe I need to pick up too many potatoes again.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tonight I sous vide a couple boneless pork butts before the smoker tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to some sweet pulled pork

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

couldcareless posted:

Well, guess I found the new upgrade for the genesis 300 I salvaged a few years ago.

They are excellent, I suggest (strongly) to use the flat side!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

There is a lot of (deserved) crossover between the smoke and puddle threads. They compliment each other.

Oh wait... thought this was the smoking thread.

gently caress

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

life is killing me posted:

I know I was just pointing out that 212 is the boiling point of water, which is fine but it’s not sous vide

I’m assuming you wanted to see what kind of texture SV could bring the taters and I like your style

Honestly SV potato’s will be identical texture wise to boiling and there is nothing to be gained in that regard.

Where you get the magic is tase, as the potato’s cook in their own juice instead of being hard boiled in water. I would have been worried that the bitterness from the skin would have overpowered everything but I’m glad it worked out for them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, it seemed fine. Neither the wife or I noticed any sort of bitterness. There was no real thought put into how I did it, just laziness, but it worked out and I would do it again.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

CaptainCrunch posted:

Mashed taters freeze and reheat in sous vide really well too!

Last year when the grocery pickup staff misread my 3 units as 3 pounds I ended up with a poo poo ton of Yukon Golds. I made a giant batch of garlic smashed. Divided what didn’t get eaten at dinner into hockey puck portions, pre-froze and then sealed them up.

I was sad when I ate the last one because being able to just dunk a serving in the bath to defrost straight to 190 was awesome. Maybe I need to pick up too many potatoes again.

I’m having my first kid in November and should have a decent backyard harvest of potatoes fairly soon, so I know what I’ll be doing with those now. Gonna eat so many frozen hockey pucks of potatoes on paternity leave.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Despite owning a sous vide since December, I'm doing steaks for the first time today. I'm planning to do a couple of 1.5" inch thick NY strips for two hours at 135, patting dry, giving 10 minutes in the fridge and then searing outside on the grill. Am I missing anything? I'll get a better sear if I use a preheated cast iron pan rather than searing directly on the grates, right?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Do a presear too

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Do a presear too

What’s the reason for a presear as well?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's been alleged that it "locks in the flavor" but idk about that. It does improve the final sear in my opinion.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

Despite owning a sous vide since December, I'm doing steaks for the first time today. I'm planning to do a couple of 1.5" inch thick NY strips for two hours at 135, patting dry, giving 10 minutes in the fridge and then searing outside on the grill. Am I missing anything? I'll get a better sear if I use a preheated cast iron pan rather than searing directly on the grates, right?

That’s a little higher temp than I go for but should still be good. Cast iron gives you more contact and thus more flavor. Grates just make pretty grill marks. Make sure the cast iron is screaming hot. And then I wouldn’t go more than 15 or 20 seconds a side before flipping. And just flip as many times as you need.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

oh yeah, I throw open the windows and heat up the cast iron till its smoking well on its own.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
All things being equal, is it better to give the steaks a 10 minute rest in the fridge or let them cool down completely before searing?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I don't rest with sous vide outside of the time it takes to prep the grill after patting the steaks dry.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Lester Shy posted:

Do them at 129 duder. IMHO 135 is way too much.

toplitzin posted:

I don't rest with sous vide outside of the time it takes to prep the grill after patting the steaks dry.

This. I have never preseared. Just make certain the surface is dried well before tossing in the cast iron.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hasselblad posted:

Do them at 129 duder. IMHO 135 is way too much.

Especially if your machine isn’t exactly precise. If you set 135° and it goes to 136.5°, you’re hosed.