Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

anyways i humbly and vainly submit this as the forums stylesheet again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

C-SPAM is a fun forum, leave it as it is. Any significant changes made to make it more like whatever some people think it "should" be or to give it a more clearly defined niche as a subforum will probably just make things worse.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

comedyblissoption posted:

anyways i humbly and vainly submit this as the forums stylesheet again

Lol this is good. It'd be cool if you could pick the background like in fyad.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
love to go to c-spam to deal with the same poo poo i deal with at my job when some boomer engineer wants to give me their money: them shouting "Do you see!? Do you see!?" like the psycho from red dragon but hes pointing at a printed excel spreadsheet

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The people with access to the database could totally do it. Only really having access to the top 30 posters makes a weaker case, even with the dominance of people who post a lot.

And as an addendum to my suggestion, maybe picking some mods that also post in one or more other forums wouldn't be that bad. Like, just to get more rounded mods? Not saying they need to post a ton in other forums, or that we can't have extremely C-SPAM focused mods, but getting mods with slightly broader interests wouldn't hurt either.

You've spent more time posting weird chat thread poo poo in this thread than I did loving with numbers.

this guy loving loves means testing

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
:goatsecx:

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...
I read C-Spam but I hardly ever post in C-Spam. I like reading it though. I don’t follow the forums drama or intrigue much, but I feel it when someone who’s posts I like cops a 30 day ban or quits in rage (RIP Snoo).

I aspire to :justpost: in C-Spam one day but am in an Australian Timezone and do PMC bullshit 13 hrs a day so for now am a passive participant (pending my guillotine). However, from my outsiders perspective I’m happy with how this place tracks along. I enjoy the content and the style. And looking at the number of users logged in vs users posting, I guess I’m not alone.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It was mentioned earlier that C-SPAM isn't a single community, but an aggregate of several, and I decided to actually do some stats on it. I took the non-sticky threads on the first page with more than a hundred posts, and looked at how large a percentage of posts the top 30 posters of that were responsible for, and how much overlap they had with the top 30 posters of other threads:

As can be seen, the top 30 posters generally represent a significant chunk of total posts (weighted average 41%), so I think it's fair to say that they actually define the tone of a thread. Even in the threads with low percentages, every third post is by a top 30 poster, and then it goes all the way to only every tenth posts being from a non-top 30 poster.

If we accept that the top 30 are pretty representative of the tone of any given thread, then we can see which threads are fringe within C-SPAM and which are more universally C-SPAM. At one end, you have Copecasts and Poop Culture, at the other, auspol and CSPAM CHAT. Of course, a thread can be fringe for reasons both of posting culture, and topic. auspol is obviously a case of being a regional topic, not particularly interesting to non-Australians, but the same explanation doesn't hold for the chat thread. It's pretty obvious that that thread has a culture divorced from the general C-SPAM culture, which can be fine, but is certainly a reason to skip it when searching for new mods.

The obvious threads to look for new mods in, if you want ones that have a broader understanding of C-SPAM "culture", would be the ones where there's more overlap - a sign on noninsularity and broader appeal. They're less likely to get a blinkered view of the forum, less likely to develop tribalistic tendencies in regards to other threads and the posters in them, which should overall make them better mods - and certainly more accepted by the community. Given that trust is like the #1 thing that needs to be built up, broad appeal seems important.

Agreed. Posters too immersed in a singular chat culture seem incapable of switching into a different "voice" appropriate to the thread they're posting in. That's why people get annoyed at "chat thread posters", and why (as mentioned earlier) they're really easy to sniff out when they attempt to defend their "posting pals" in QCS. They're also a big part of why "C-SPAM" got such a bad rep in QCS, because they're nearly the only ones that read as 100% C-SPAM, since most other C-SPAM posters can post normally and not register as a C-SPAM posters.

Finally, some data-driven decision making! We can see that the podcasts thread has the most overlap with the rest of the forum. So we simply take the podcast thread poster whose posts get the most engagement. Everyone welcome the new C-SPAM mod, xtal!

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You've spent more time posting weird chat thread poo poo in this thread than I did loving with numbers.

you know that lame as burn wasn't data driven and that you were comparing apples to oranges and it eats you up inside

dork

while you were doing posting analytics, i studied the boof

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

cumshitter posted:

love to go to c-spam to deal with the same poo poo i deal with at my job when some boomer engineer wants to give me their money: them shouting "Do you see!? Do you see!?" like the psycho from red dragon but hes pointing at a printed excel spreadsheet

it agrees with my conclusion that some people can not seem to ever turn if off, therefore it's good

case closed

done

finished

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know what people are fighting about but there is a direct link between a subforum's quality and the amount of moderators and admins that appoint themselves judges of all content posted there.

C-Spam is lightly moderated and is one of the better sub forums because of it.

One of the main reasons for that is that the worst people that come to these forums have this idea that they should approve of everything posted here. Then they gang up and complain until the moderators eliminate the people and ideas they don't like. That's great when it's harmful ideologies or actual racism but it just never ends.

So my feedback is that mods and admins should gently caress off and stop pretending a volunteer job that only exists to occasionally delete a NSFW image is a Shakespearean saga of a ruling political body that requires 0.00001% of this much thought before what remains of this forum eats it's own rear end in a top hat because of the idiots at the top that think their volunteer job is to constantly target the bottom with their stupid opinions and decisions.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Col.Schultz posted:

I read C-Spam but I hardly ever post in C-Spam. I like reading it though. I don’t follow the forums drama or intrigue much, but I feel it when someone who’s posts I like cops a 30 day ban or quits in rage (RIP Snoo).

I aspire to :justpost: in C-Spam one day but am in an Australian Timezone and do PMC bullshit 13 hrs a day so for now am a passive participant (pending my guillotine). However, from my outsiders perspective I’m happy with how this place tracks along. I enjoy the content and the style. And looking at the number of users logged in vs users posting, I guess I’m not alone.

Another lurker here in agreement with this.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

give everyone in here a gun and lock the forum. we'll police ourselves

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Why the hell do so many people that don't post in the COVID thread, most of whom say they don't even read the COVID thread, care so much about whether or not the thread is to doomer for their personal tastes? Especially since it is nowhere near as doomer as people who self admittedly don't even read it seem to think it is.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Brain Candy posted:

it agrees with my conclusion that some people can not seem to ever turn if off, therefore it's good

case closed

done

finished

how bout you read his big dumb posting anlytics poo poo and explain it to everybody in a way that doesnt make us laugh at you

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoguh posted:

Why the hell do so many people that don't post in the COVID thread, most of whom say they don't even read the COVID thread, care so much about whether or not the thread is to doomer for their personal tastes? Especially since it is nowhere near as doomer as people who self admittedly don't even read it seem to think it is.

did you actually read anything posted about it or did you just see the name and freak

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

cumshitter posted:

how bout you read his big dumb posting anlytics poo poo and explain it to everybody in a way that doesnt make us laugh at you

how about you stop gimick posting in an admin feedback thread?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Brain Candy posted:

my suggestion is to reduce the report limit/and or ban the people who hit it

i didn't even know there was a daily report limit until i read about it in qcs because of infinite drama that's occurred for approximately two years now every few months. the primary mechanism for correcting bad posting in cspam ought to be posters posting about the bad posts

Just make the reports public so everyone can see who is being a whiny little narc

As for threads, the only bad stuff was the "talk poo poo get hit" and "gently caress around and find out" obsessions from last year about protests; not long after a goon with a concealed weapon got shot wouldn't get medical treatment out of fear of arrest. That era was weird but I think it's mostly over now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I agree mods should be Mostly hands off but if they want the forum to keep going and thrive they do - in my opinion - need to make some effort to protect posters who get targeted. It’s hard to do I admit and they have to read threads to understand what is just nonsense poo poo posting and what is actual malignant bullying.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Brain Candy posted:

lmfao

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Thoguh posted:

there's been a few moments where it got dumb and that's what a lot of people's big impression of it is. i skimmed it a bit just to see what its like and i didn't see like, anyone plotting to eat the elderly so it failed to live up to my hopes

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

how'd this work out for flavius

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

all the threads should be more doomer until they wrap back around to a nihilistic optimism

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Dunno but I enjoyed the thread the most when it was about beans and prepping

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Office Pig posted:

how'd this work out for flavius

please, explain the connection with me telling a posting analytics defender theyre a dumbass and flavius. youre reaching, try it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

It wasn't in the covid thread, but the witchcraft thread. Some folks mocked the witchcraft/tarot/whatever and snoo flipped. Posters smelled blood and tore her apart.

there was a CSPAM witchcraft thread? and I missed it?! drat you bookmarks page :argh:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I just want to poo poo post about politics adjacent topics and learn new things which is what mostly happens in CSPAM (for me at least) and the only parts I really don't like is all the posting about posters and people who post in threads to only be an rear end in a top hat/bully without contributing a single thing to the thread/topic.

Basically drive by aggro posts really tick me off and I wish they were discouraged more.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Agreed. Posters too immersed in a singular chat culture seem incapable of switching into a different "voice" appropriate to the thread they're posting in. That's why people get annoyed at "chat thread posters", and why (as mentioned earlier) they're really easy to sniff out when they attempt to defend their "posting pals" in QCS. They're also a big part of why "C-SPAM" got such a bad rep in QCS, because they're nearly the only ones that read as 100% C-SPAM, since most other C-SPAM posters can post normally and not register as a C-SPAM posters.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

this is weird imo. why would any posters need to switch to a different "voice" for another thread in cspam? why can't you and folks like you just roll with it when chat thread content is present in other threads?? this kind of poo poo just makes you come off as a scold who doesn't have any interest in understanding cspam's culture as a whole or the idea of just having fun on the forums. when i read these kind of posts, it honestly comes across like you would prefer this to be "d&d but you can say 'gently caress you'" instead of the weird and wonderful place that it actually is. our weird gimmick posters are part of the package and always have been, this subforum would not exist without them and would not have taken off in popularity if it wasn't funny at least part of the time

Brain Candy posted:

man you don't have to put on Serious Voice just because this is a feedback thread. the admins are not going to wilt and die at the first sign of a joke. even in qcs there are jokes like all the time

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 13:59 on Jun 26, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bring back the witchcraft thread

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

cumshitter posted:

please, explain the connection with me telling a posting analytics defender theyre a dumbass and flavius. youre reaching, try it

just saying it doesn't always hurt to break your stupid rear end posting habits if the context warrants it, sometimes you actually do need to make real posts with an inkling of consideration before you accidentally show everyone the big fat dumps you usually leave on the keyboard at the worst possible time :shobon:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jazerus posted:

this is weird imo. why would any posters need to switch to a different "voice" for another thread in cspam? why can't you and folks like you just roll with it when chat thread content is present in other threads?? this kind of poo poo just makes you come off as a scold who doesn't have any interest in understanding cspam's culture as a whole or the idea of just having fun on the forums. when i read these kind of posts, it honestly comes across like you would prefer this to be "d&d but you can say 'gently caress you'" instead of the weird and wonderful place that it actually is. our weird gimmick posters are part of the package and always have been, this subforum would not exist without them and would not have taken off in popularity if it wasn't funny at least part of the time

man you don't have to put on Serious Voice just because this is a feedback thread. the admins are not going to wilt and die at the first sign of a joke. even in qcs there are jokes like all the time

it's because you're obsessed with 'having fun' which is giggling with your friends like back in grade school and not actually telling a joke or being interesting op. just keep it to your thread so we don't have to read that poo poo. not sure what's hard to understand here.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Jazerus posted:

i agree with you but thats a bad example because everything in qcs is a joke

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh so there needs to be more effort posting is what I am reading.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Jazerus posted:

i read cspam for reasons other than gimmick posters. i don't think they represent a shared cspam culture. going No True Cspammer on someone just cuz a dude likes his spreadsheet bullshit (a very marxist thing) is a kind of thing i think is pretty tiresome, especially when its a thread for nerdy sincere feedback.

Tiler Kiwi has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Jun 26, 2021

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

oh so there needs to be more effort posting is what I am reading.

only when the man with the badge shows up at your doorstep at 4 am (and he will)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i personally do not read cspam

I mean come on then. what are you posting about then.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

euphronius posted:

theyre saying the gimmick posters arent what makes them want to read cspam I think

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

euphronius posted:

this is fiendish

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh I misread it excuse me . I apologize Tiller Kiwi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Jazerus posted:

this is the number one thing i don't like about chat thread posting, not because i hate that you are having fun with your friends but that there's zero desire to read the room