Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Moving at all equates to time travel, it only becomes noticeable as you approach C

I’m moving through time at a rate of one second per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Moving at all equates to time travel, it only becomes noticeable as you approach C

The closer you get to c, the less you travel in time.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, just imagine thinking space and time are two separate thing. Hard lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thing I never got was how that rule doesn't imply the existence of an objective "at rest"

Unless I suppose time is also somehow subjective and the difference is just that you perceive things moving differently through it as they move geographically.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’re only ever at rest relative to something else. There is no pure frame of reference for “no movement” as far as we know in the universe

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

time is also somehow subjective

Relative

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I’m moving through time at a rate of one second per second.

Not relative to where I'm standing :colbert:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

OwlFancier posted:

Thing I never got was how that rule doesn't imply the existence of an objective "at rest"

Unless I suppose time is also somehow subjective and the difference is just that you perceive things moving differently through it as they move geographically.

Not "subjective," but relative, yes.

List of things that are relative (depend on your reference frame):
  • time between two events, sometimes including which event came first or whether they're simultaneous
  • distance/space between two events
  • the speed of a sub-lightspeed object*
  • energy that an object has*
  • momentum that an object has*
  • the inertial mass of an object
  • electric and magnetic fields
  • wavelength (color) of a light beam*
  • lots of other stuff
*also true in classical (Newtonian) physics, the sort you may have learned in high school

List of things that are invariant (constant, regardless of your point of view):
  • the speed of light in a vacuum
  • the "proper time" of a path through spacetime, i.e. the time you would experience if you followed that path
  • the "rest mass" of an object, i.e. the mass it would have if it were not moving relative to you
  • the laws of physics, in general
  • more other things that i can't think of right now probably

So yeah, time and space are relative. When we say "the faster you move in space, the slower you move in time", we mean that relative to some observer. If you're goin' 60% of c relative to me, and you send out some signals at what you think are 1 minute apart, I'll think that you sent those signals 1.25 minutes apart. To me, it looks like your clock is running slow. However, we both agree that you and your clock have experienced 1 minute. The faster you go relative to me, the more time I will observe between those signals (even after accounting for the signal-travel-time it takes for me to get the signals at all).

Similarly, your observations of my clock are identical, since I'm also going 60% of c relative to you. I think your clock is running slow, and you think mine is running slow. This seems like a paradox (usually called the "twin paradox"), but it's resolved once you take into account the fact that we do not agree on which ticks of your clock are simultaneous with which ticks of mine. It all makes more sense if you graph it (that graph uses different numbers btw). The only way for us to agree on that is to meet up at the same place - but for us to be moving relative to one another and yet meet up, someone's gotta accelerate to turn around and head back. Here's a graph about that. This breaks the symmetry between our motions, and whoever did the accelerating is the one whose clock went slower (or of both of us accelerated equally, our clocks read the same). Anyways this is all a bit crazy so feel free to google "twin paradox" for a more in-depth explanation.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
With all the relativity and light speed stuff I kind of understand that a thing moving at light speed will appear to be moving at light speed to all observers (though I might have stated that badly or maybe I don't actually understand at all) but my question has always been if it's all relative and I'm trying to accelerate to light speed vs my origin, which was already moving at light speed vs some other point in space/time, why can't I ever be actually moving through space at greater than light speed vs that 2nd point?

Like say point A and point B are moving away from each other at precisely .5c, relative to each other. If I'm at point A and decide to travel away from point B I am instantly traveling at faster than the speed of light relative to point B, right? Is this wrong? Or is it just a stupid thought experiment because nobody gives a poo poo about what's happening at point B? And if I can travel faster than light speed away from point B that basically means, as far as I understand, my journey could never be directly observed by point B?

And what about two points moving toward each other at precisely .5c? Surely I can accelerate toward another body and increase my energy on impact?

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Jun 24, 2021

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Inspector 34 posted:

With all the relativity and light speed stuff I kind of understand that a thing moving at light speed will appear to be moving at light speed to all observers (though I might have stated that badly or maybe I don't actually understand at all) but my question has always been if it's all relative and I'm trying to accelerate to light speed vs my origin, which was already moving at light speed vs some other point in space/time, why can't I ever be actually moving through space at greater than light speed vs that 2nd point?

Like say point A and point B are moving away from each other at precisely .5c, relative to each other. If I'm at point A and decide to travel away from point B I am instantly traveling at faster than the speed of light relative to point B, right? Is this wrong? Or is it just a stupid thought experiment because nobody gives a poo poo about what's happening at point B? And if I can travel faster than light speed away from point B that basically means, as far as I understand, my journey could never be directly observed by point B?

And what about two points moving toward each other at precisely .5c? Surely I can accelerate toward another body and increase my energy on impact?

Let's say I can throw a 60 mph baseball. So if I'm on a train, moving 50 mph to your right, and I throw a baseball also to your right, you, standing in the train station and looking through the train's window, see the baseball as going 110 mph to the right relative to you. In other words, the velocities combine through simple addition. Similarly, if I throw the baseball to the left, you'll see it moving 10 mph to the left.

But, it turns out, this is just an approximation. When speeds get near c, the math gets more complicated. Let's say I can shoot a 0.6c space torpedo. So if my spaceship is moving 0.5c to the right, and I fire my torpedo also to the right, then does my torpedo go 1.1c relative to you, observing from Earth? You've heard that nothing can travel faster than c, so this must be impossible. In fact, the torpedo would be going 0.846c relative to you. The formula isn't just:
v1 + v2
it's:
(v1 + v2)/[1 + (v1*v2)/c2]
but in normal everyday life, that denominator is so incredibly close to 1 that it doesn't matter. You will find that if the two velocities are between -c and c, then the resulting velocity will also be within that same interval.

So if you're going really fast, and you accelerate to try to go faster, what happens? Well, you get closer and closer to c. And since the way kinetic energy works in special relativity is also different, your energy still increases just as much as you'd expect, but that energy gets you less and less velocity, asymptotically approaching (but never reaching) c.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm not sure I understand that. It looks like if v1*v2 = c^2 then the denominator is 2, so (v1+v2)/2. But that doesn't jive at all to my layman brain's with the idea of v1+v2 collision between two objects travelling at light speed relative to each other, or a third object that launched itself off of either object toward the oncoming body. Why would the relative velocities be cut in half?

It seems kind of arbitrary that just because they are approaching or past the speed of light relative to each other that different math is involved. And I'm not saying different math shouldn't be involved, I'm more curious if there's a certain point where it has to be. Where is that point?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm not sure I understand that. It looks like if v1*v2 = c^2 then the denominator is 2, so (v1+v2)/2. But that doesn't jive at all to my layman brain's with the idea of v1+v2 collision between two objects travelling at light speed relative to each other, or a third object that launched itself off of either object toward the oncoming body. Why would the relative velocities be cut in half?

It seems kind of arbitrary that just because they are approaching or past the speed of light relative to each other that different math is involved. And I'm not saying different math shouldn't be involved, I'm more curious if there's a certain point where it has to be. Where is that point?

The denominator is 2, but the numerator is 2c. The resulting velocity is c. In fact, if either velocity is c, then the result is c.

(v1+c)/(1+v1*c/c^2)
(v1+c)/(1+v1/c) (cancel out c in the fraction in the denominator)
c(v1+c)/(c+v1) (multiply top and bottom by c)
c (bits in parentheses cancel out)

Therefore, anything moving at c is moving at c relative to any observer. In other words, if I'm on a train (in a vacuum) moving right and shine a flashlight to the right at speed c, you also see the light as going at c, not c plus 50mph or whatever.

There is no arbitrary math - the math is exactly the same for all objects, regardless of how they are moving. And regardless of what object is being observed in what reference frame, its speed is at most c. I'm not really sure what you're talking about with a "v1+v2 collision" and stuff. Can you lay out a specific situation in more detail?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't think I understand this well enough to describe a situation like that. I'm just trying to understand it conceptually at all. But I'll try.

If I have two ball bearings heading toward each other, one from from the left at 20mph and one from the right at 20mph, the energy of produced by their collision is equivalent to if one were standing still and the other was going 40mph, right? So the simple v1+v2 scenario. But at what point does that stop being true?

Assume they're going 100mph each, or 10,000,000mph each, why do I need to bring c into the equation? How fast do they need to be going relative to each other for that original 20 + 20mph to not work? That's what I mean by arbitrary, is there a specific point where that kind of simple equation doesn't work and we need to bring c into the equation?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Let's say I can throw a 60 mph baseball. So if I'm on a train, moving 50 mph to your right, and I throw a baseball also to your right, you, standing in the train station and looking through the train's window, see the baseball as going 110 mph to the right relative to you. In other words, the velocities combine through simple addition. Similarly, if I throw the baseball to the left, you'll see it moving 10 mph to the left.

But, it turns out, this is just an approximation. When speeds get near c, the math gets more complicated. Let's say I can shoot a 0.6c space torpedo. So if my spaceship is moving 0.5c to the right, and I fire my torpedo also to the right, then does my torpedo go 1.1c relative to you, observing from Earth? You've heard that nothing can travel faster than c, so this must be impossible. In fact, the torpedo would be going 0.846c relative to you. The formula isn't just:
v1 + v2
it's:
(v1 + v2)/[1 + (v1*v2)/c2]
but in normal everyday life, that denominator is so incredibly close to 1 that it doesn't matter. You will find that if the two velocities are between -c and c, then the resulting velocity will also be within that same interval.

So if you're going really fast, and you accelerate to try to go faster, what happens? Well, you get closer and closer to c. And since the way kinetic energy works in special relativity is also different, your energy still increases just as much as you'd expect, but that energy gets you less and less velocity, asymptotically approaching (but never reaching) c.

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't think I understand this well enough to describe a situation like that. I'm just trying to understand it conceptually at all. But I'll try.

If I have two ball bearings heading toward each other, one from from the left at 20mph and one from the right at 20mph, the energy of produced by their collision is equivalent to if one were standing still and the other was going 40mph, right? So the simple v1+v2 scenario. But at what point does that stop being true?

Assume they're going 100mph each, or 10,000,000mph each, why do I need to bring c into the equation? How fast do they need to be going relative to each other for that original 20 + 20mph to not work? That's what I mean by arbitrary, is there a specific point where that kind of simple equation doesn't work and we need to bring c into the equation?

the (v1*v2/c^2) should produce a small number and for most every day things that number (plus 1) is basically 1 so you can ignore the full equation and get by with just v1+v2 like your 20mph baseballs.

When the velocities get into big numbers approaching C, you end up with a denominator appreciably larger than 1 which makes the full equation necessary.

so when (1+(v1*v2/c^2)) starts getting appreciably larger than 1 is when your 20+20 math no longer works.

500excf type r has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jun 24, 2021

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Inspector 34 posted:

Oh, I see what you're saying. 500excf type r already answered this but to reiterate, when we do 20 mph + 20 mph = 40 mph, we're using an approximation. It's really 39.9999999999999644 mph. That approximation is really, really accurate, for things on the scale of 20mph, but gets less accurate the higher the speeds get. Where exactly you must stop approximating depends on how accurate you need to be.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks got it! At least, I get the math part.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OwlFancier posted:

You’re not the first person to notice this.

quote:

In physics, the twin paradox is a thought experiment in special relativity involving identical twins, one of whom makes a journey into space in a high-speed rocket and returns home to find that the twin who remained on Earth has aged more. This result appears puzzling because each twin sees the other twin as moving, and so, as a consequence of an incorrect and naive application of time dilation and the principle of relativity, each should paradoxically find the other to have aged less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Phanatic posted:

Traveling any faster than c equates to time travel.

Yeah relativistic and imaginary ftl travel is amazingly mind bending, and I just thought of something maybe someone smart can confirm/deny for me

let's say we invent a drive that let's us Pop out anywhere in the galaxy immediately, and we jump to a star 10 light years away. For us no time has passed, but while we're there we should technically exist 10 years in the future, from Earth's perspective. If someone on earth used a ridiculously strong telescope and watched us at the star right after we popped over, the visual data, our "ring of existence, would need 10 years to reach earth again. Now if we popped back to earth after an hour and then waited that 10 years, we should be able to see ourselves in the telescope, technically existing at two points at the same time, and having travelled back in time when we went back.

Is this correct or just the rambling of a mad man who reads too much sci Fi? Also yes the name of the drive would be the pop drive, do not steal.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Inspector 34 posted:

The bolded part isn't true even in traditional Newtonian physics. Kinetic energy is 1/2mv2. The sum of the energy of two balls at 20 is much less than one ball at 40.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

Yeah relativistic and imaginary ftl travel is amazingly mind bending, and I just thought of something maybe someone smart can confirm/deny for me

let's say we invent a drive that let's us Pop out anywhere in the galaxy immediately, and we jump to a star 10 light years away. For us no time has passed, but while we're there we should technically exist 10 years in the future, from Earth's perspective. If someone on earth used a ridiculously strong telescope and watched us at the star right after we popped over, the visual data, our "ring of existence, would need 10 years to reach earth again. Now if we popped back to earth after an hour and then waited that 10 years, we should be able to see ourselves in the telescope, technically existing at two points at the same time, and having travelled back in time when we went back.

Is this correct or just the rambling of a mad man who reads too much sci Fi? Also yes the name of the drive would be the pop drive, do not steal.

Yes. By 'popping' back to earth you have escaped your own light-cone and broken causality.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If causality can't stand up to even slight stress then I don't want anything to do with it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The bolded part isn't true even in traditional Newtonian physics. Kinetic energy is 1/2mv2. The sum of the energy of two balls at 20 is much less than one ball at 40.

Choosing to observe from a point where one ball is at rest doesn't make the other ball strike it with any more energy, though. It just means the whole system you're considering has more energy than if you were looking at it from a different point.

When you're doing a collision calculation for one ball at rest and one ball moving, you also have to take the kinetic energy of the entire system into account, because the center of mass of the two balls is moving with respect to your frame of reference. This gives the whole two-body system a non-zero momentum and a non-zero kinetic energy, but this motion through space doesn't grant any extra energy or momentum to the interaction between the two bodies. The extra energy of the one ball moving at 40 vs the sum of the two balls moving at 20 mathematically accounts for the system's kinetic energy. If you do the math for the collision from the center of mass of the two bodies - this is the both balls moving at 20 case - it cancels out that system energy and ends up making the math a little simpler.

In both cases, momentum is conserved, and the change in momentum felt by each ball when they collide when both are moving at 20 is identical to the change in momentum if one was at 40 and one was at rest.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

https://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/a/a4a92d80-1030-4dbc-9202-b17f1a84b639 (in moon language, use translator)

Three ~20 year old youngsters on the Midsummer's Eve night notice that the dry lightning storm just set the entire roof of an apartment building ablaze in the the middle of the night, alert the fire brigade, and rush into the building to wake and alert the people living there.

They arrive on the scene 5 minutes before the fire brigade, and start the evacuation; as a result 0 casualties even if the building has several elderly people who have trouble using the staircase. When fire brigade gets things under control, the entire apartment building is left unlivable and 4 topmost floors are basically burned to crisp; the lightning rod had failed.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Jun 26, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Der Kyhe posted:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/a/a4a92d80-1030-4dbc-9202-b17f1a84b639 (in moon language, use translator)

Three ~20 year old youngsters on the Midsummer's Eve night notice that the dry lightning storm just set the entire roof of an apartment building ablaze in the the middle of the night, alert the fire brigade, and rush into the building to wake and alert the people living there.

They arrive on the scene 5 minutes before the fire brigade, and start the evacuation; as a result 0 casualties even if the building has several elderly people who have trouble using the staircase. When fire brigade gets things under control, the entire apartment building is left unlivable and 4 topmost floors are basically burned to crisp; the lightning rod had failed.

The occurrence is not only truthful, but also very remarkable. It is left to those knowledgeable of nature to judge further.

(that is super badass)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

The occurrence is not only truthful, but also very remarkable. It is left to those knowledgeable of nature to judge further.

(that is super badass)

In case if you are wondering if this is shitposting by Iltalehti, which is a tabloid, YLE (the BBC of Finland) https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11998480 also confirms this story. (still in moon language)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

no i just thought it was an appropriate quote (from here)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

This is all correct, but none of it has much to do with time travel/causality violation. You can see yourself because of the light travel time. Seeing yourself in your past isn't special - you do that every time you look in a mirror. When we say that FTL violates causality, we're talking about something much more fundamental than that - it's a result of the warping of spacetime because of different reference frames going at different speeds.

Let's say that you FTL instant-jump to 10 light years away. But before you jump back, you engage your non-FTL engines and travel away from Earth at 0.6c. Now, from your perspective, Earth is moving away from you at 0.6c. Because space and time are relative, the moment you left Earth is now 12.5 light years away and 7.5 years in your new "future." Barring FTL, there's still no way to get there or even send a signal there. But since you have an instant FTL drive you teleport back to Earth (which is 8 light years away from you in your new "present"), and use your non-FTL drive to match Earth's speed and land. This speed change also shifts space and time for you, and now the moment where you left is now 6 years in your future. Your trip has landed you six years in the past, and you are free to go shake the hand of your past self and steal their FTL drive and create paradoxes and all the other time travelly things that you might do. If you change the velocity to something other than 0.6c away, and/or change the distance you FTL-jump, you can fine-tune your time travel to go to literally any time in Earth's past or future history, with the only limitations being your engines' ability to get you to that velocity and your FTL drive's ability to teleport that distance.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

no i just thought it was an appropriate quote (from here)

Yeah yeah, no bad, I get *you*, but in case someone else wonders. Not all of us are mand med uendelige kulturelle citater. This used to be an international forum before going dead and gay, you know.

EDIT: And apparently, aggressively Nordic.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jun 26, 2021

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Mustachioed flying rodents know more about acoustics than you do

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DontMockMySmock posted:

Because space and time are relative, the moment you left Earth is now 12.5 light years away and 7.5 years in your new "future."

I follow everything else in your post but I'm not sure I'll ever really grok how the second part of this follows from the first

I appreciate all the effort posting itt though

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I follow everything else in your post but I'm not sure I'll ever really grok how the second part of this follows from the first

I appreciate all the effort posting itt though

Well i didn't post the details of the math. If you have a basic competence with the easy parts of algebra, it's pretty understandable tho.

So, in the scenario I posted, the event of leaving Earth is 10 light years away, and at time zero (i.e. the present). The Lorentz transformation, simplified for only one relevant dimension of space, looks like this:

γ = 1/sqrt(1-v2/c2) (this parameter is just called "gamma" and I'm only bothering to define it here to make the next two equations simpler)
xnew = γ (xold - v*told)
tnew = γ (told - v*xold/c2)

Plugging in xold = 10 c*yr and told=0 for the old coordinates of the event, and v = -0.6c (negative 'cause moving away) for the relative velocity of the new frame of reference, you get γ=1.25, xnew = 12.5 c*yr, and tnew = 7.5 yr. So those are the coordinates of that event in this new frame of reference.

Basically, what the "present" is, to you, depends on how you are moving. So if you can travel places "instantaneously", i.e. to another point in the "present," then when those places are depends on how you're moving, too. (To be clear, you don't have to actually travel instantaneously to break causality, only greater than c, but the math is simpler.)

edit: man i forgot how shittily the forums' default font renders lower-case gamma. looks like a weird small capital Y. It's probably normal enough to a greek speaker but it looks really weird to me.

edit2: forgot a factor of c in the equation because i'm too used to using "natural units" aka being too lazy to write out the "c"

DontMockMySmock has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Jun 27, 2021

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress is going on in this thread

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Physics is badass.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I still appreciate the effort but for most people, and speaking for myself specifically, a paragraph of algebra is the opposite of "grokking" something

I can follow the math but I can't intuit anything about it, it feels extremely wrong

I don't really have issue with most outside-the-normal-frame stuff like huge distances and tiny quantum poo poo but the back in time component of >c travel just feels like we must've got the math wrong, if that makes sense

Not saying we did, or that I disbelieve it, just that I only know it by rote not by any sort of deep understanding

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DontMockMySmock posted:

edit: man i forgot how shittily the forums' default font renders lower-case gamma. looks like a weird small capital Y. It's probably normal enough to a greek speaker but it looks really weird to me.

edit2: forgot a factor of c in the equation because i'm too used to using "natural units" aka being too lazy to write out the "c"

𝛾

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

ain't gonna remember that code, nor bother looking it up, next time I do a SR math post

The Bloop posted:

I still appreciate the effort but for most people, and speaking for myself specifically, a paragraph of algebra is the opposite of "grokking" something

I can follow the math but I can't intuit anything about it, it feels extremely wrong

I don't really have issue with most outside-the-normal-frame stuff like huge distances and tiny quantum poo poo but the back in time component of >c travel just feels like we must've got the math wrong, if that makes sense

Not saying we did, or that I disbelieve it, just that I only know it by rote not by any sort of deep understanding

It feeling "wrong" is normal. The thing about humans is that we're hard-wired and well-trained to deal with the world of things between the sizes of 1mm and 1km, going at speeds no higher than that of a thrown rock. All this stuff sounds crazy to us because it is crazy, and we only believe it's true because it fits together into a system of rules built on sound logic, and has incontrovertible observational evidence. When you venture outside of that range we're comfortable with, our intuition just isn't helpful, and you really just need to crunch numbers until you sort of build up a new intuition. I posted the math because, well, that's what I got. Graphing also helps but I've been too lazy to do that other than to post those Desmos links.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

ultrafilter posted:

Physics is badass.

What is that, please ?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The Bloop posted:

The time travel stuff is taking the math, then saying "what does this predict happens if you somehow did have a way to transmit information faster than c?" It's more of an argument for there not being a way to go faster than light than an actual prediction, because cause before effect makes sense and also matches reality as best we can tell.

It's why the pithy version is "Relativity, causality, FTL, pick two". If relativity is correct, and you have a way to do FTL, you can theoretically set up a situation where effects precede causes. So either relativity is wrong (but it's been very good at predicting behavior so far & we don't have any better model), FTL is impossible, or time travel is possible

Lady Disdain posted:

What is that, please ?
Cherenkov radiation. The speed of light in a not-vacuum is slower than in a vacuum. You can go faster than light in a medium. It's the light version of a sonic boom from electrons going faster than the local speed of light.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It's why Dr. Manhattan is blue in the Watchmen. :flashfact:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah yeah, no bad, I get *you*, but in case someone else wonders. Not all of us are mand med uendelige kulturelle citater. This used to be an international forum before going dead and gay, you know.

EDIT: And apparently, aggressively Nordic.

vi spiller den samme bold