Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

It should be stressed that there is a side world of independent, non-super hero comics and stories that are amazing and hyper kickass, it’s just that superhero books are hard to do well

*10 years later*

Scarlett Johanneson to Star in 'Persepolis' Feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PostNouveau posted:

*10 years later*

Scarlett Johanneson to Star in 'Persepolis' Feature

can't wait for the Megg, Mogg and Owl Cinematic Universe

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Comics are dying for the same 2 reasons that magazines are dying: because smart phones essentially killed reading physical media and were now on our second generation of young people raised entirely online who have and will never read a paper book, and also because printing a full color magazine on paper and mailing all over the world is an order of magnitude more expensive now than it was in the 80’s/90’s…

It’s not just because comics are bad.

Manga is selling gangbusters, western comics just suck nowadays

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I really enjoyed all these hilarious Namor and Doom related comic strips and, much to Rick's chagrin, he's established continuity with
and if Season 5 follows up on that at all its going to be absolutely disastrous. Here's to that
e and I feel like they will ? They teased the young female Captain Planet and I feel like she's definitely related to Mr. Nimbus in some sense, environmentally maybe.
e 2 sorry I just realized that Beth, Space Beth then?

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 24, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Terror Sweat posted:

Manga is selling gangbusters, western comics just suck nowadays

Manga never stopped eating comics' lunch since the 90s, with the revolutionary ideas of 'having more than one genre and target audience' and 'being a story with a beginning, middle and end'.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
On rewatch, I'm enjoying the lovingly-rendered cock & balls swinging that accompanies Mr. Nimbus's hip thrusts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

can't wait for the Megg, Mogg and Owl Cinematic Universe

Unironic

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Did anyone else feel like the golden time owl at the end of the universe was, at least visually, a reference the the golden time owl in the Adventure Time universe? The R&M one is absolutely darker and more guant, less round like a pokemon, but it was basically the same color pallete and felt influenced.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 25, 2021

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Doctor Wong reference surprised me too. (She's an alien, right? Based off the gag from last year's finale?)

Naw, the joke there was Rick not considering therapists to count as "human life".

LividLiquid posted:

In my experience, most people who think this are people who think having a big dick makes you good in bed.

Naw, having a big dick tends to lead one to over rely on it, much as having a small dick leads one to believe they can compensate for it. The best possible dick haver would be one with a big dick and a small dick mindset.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Naw, having a big dick tends to lead one to over rely on it, much as having a small dick leads one to believe they can compensate for it. The best possible dick haver would be one with a big dick and a small dick mindset.

"boyfriend dick" is the ideal penis, actually, sorry. The internet determined this many moons ago.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

jokes posted:

"boyfriend dick" is the ideal penis, actually, sorry. The internet determined this many moons ago.

Fascinating.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sr3hZCAono

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

“C’mon Narnia, let’s loving go!” was an excellent read

"I don't give a poo poo nerd! Let her go!" Got a good chuckle out of me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TheFattestPat posted:

It has everything to do with tons of low quality crap and politics being inserted into everything.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

TheFattestPat posted:

It has everything to do with tons of low quality crap and politics being inserted into everything.

buddy, being apolitical is a political stance

politics is inherent in everything

wubba lubba dub dubs!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Hexmage-SA posted:

The podcast Wizard & The Bruiser just released their episode on the creation of Rick & Morty that was pretty much prefaced by a discussion of the fandom. Their stance came down to "pretty much every fandom has toxic elements, Rick & Morty's toxic fans just got a lot of attention for a minute".

The other side of the coin is that Harmon spends way more time in explicit dialogue with the audience than most creators and his main message is invariably "gently caress you, I won't do what you told me."

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

withak posted:

On rewatch, I'm enjoying the lovingly-rendered cock & balls swinging that accompanies Mr. Nimbus's hip thrusts.

Because I know we occasionally have gotten R&M artists in here, I want to salute whoever put time into this.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
unsung heroes out there animatin them dick flops, I see you

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

Comics are dying for the same 2 reasons that magazines are dying: because smart phones essentially killed reading physical media and were now on our second generation of young people raised entirely online who have and will never read a paper book, and also because printing a full color magazine on paper and mailing all over the world is an order of magnitude more expensive now than it was in the 80’s/90’s…

It’s not just because comics are bad.

counter point MANGA sells very well, to the point that anime s are made to push the light novels and the manga.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ups_rail posted:

counter point MANGA sells very well, to the point that anime s are made to push the light novels and the manga.

God, imagine if comic books had a mega corporation foisting a constant deluge of comic book material on a wider audience through movies and tv shows or something to keep up.

Sadly there will never be a parallel like that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

TheFattestPat posted:

This is misinformed. Comics, especially, have always been extremely political. It's not the comics that have changed, its the readers...

This is similar to the people who are like "why is Star Wars political now???" not realizing that they are outing themselves that they missed the original film's extremely simplistic, and overt, message of "Nazis are bad."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

My only childhood foray into comics was burning my road trip Toys R Us allotment on what turned out to be 1/3 of a G.I. Joe Persian Gulf war story where the last cannon thing that happened was Cobra Commander obliterating the previous Christmas' hottest GI Joe toys with an artillery strike.

It sucked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My only childhood foray into comics was burning my road trip Toys R Us allotment on what turned out to be 1/3 of a G.I. Joe Persian Gulf war story where the last cannon thing that happened was Cobra Commander obliterating the previous Christmas' hottest GI Joe toys with an artillery strike.

It sucked.

Ah, the ol Transformers: The Movie trick.

ikanreed posted:

God, imagine if comic books had a mega corporation foisting a constant deluge of comic book material on a wider audience through movies and tv shows or something to keep up.

Sadly there will never be a parallel like that.

Yeah, considering entire generations have grown up on comic book based cartoons and now movies, it says a lot that the comics themselves are still basically an industry on life support that sees little to no benefit from it. You have to be TRYING to gently caress that up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How would I even get into comic books though? It just seems confusing to get into. There are all these different story lines and multiverses that I don't know how get into a story for a character I'd be potentially interested in. How do back issues work? Comic books are physical books that come out once a month or whenever, but can I start at the beginning of a storyline or am I stuck with whatever is in a comic store? Any time I have discussed comics with someone who was into them, they start talking about how this is Universe 587B and this one is 34G and this character is dead in this universe, but this character is a horse in this universe and it just seems way to complicated when I could just watch a TV show or a movie series.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

How would I even get into comic books though? It just seems confusing to get into. There are all these different story lines and multiverses that I don't know how get into a story for a character I'd be potentially interested in. How do back issues work? Comic books are physical books that come out once a month or whenever, but can I start at the beginning of a storyline or am I stuck with whatever is in a comic store? Any time I have discussed comics with someone who was into them, they start talking about how this is Universe 587B and this one is 34G and this character is dead in this universe, but this character is a horse in this universe and it just seems way to complicated when I could just watch a TV show or a movie series.

You’re overthinking it by a lot, most kids get into comics by picking something they think looks cool from the cover. You’re smart enough to pick up the context, and most these days will have summaries in the front. Probably the one thing to look out for is if a cover specifies some specific story arc with a number like “Batman: Joker Wars part 4 of 7”.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Typically what you do is you say “Hey, goons, I really like (CHARACTER), what are the best storylines for that character?” and the goons will be like “oh, so and so has the best run on Swamp Thing or Deadpool” read the stories by them first” and then you look up those stories and buy them in paper for like $20 a trade or you just download them and read them on platform of choice.

The most popular characters have lots to chew through, but smaller characters usually have like 1 or 2 good incarnations that encompass all the best bits of the other stories.

Like, getting into Spider-Man would be a big order, but the biggest characters like Spider-Man or Wolverine have the most exhaustive Wikipedia entries on Earth and literally dozens of guides about what the best stories to check out are.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don’t decide to get into comic books as an adult.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Western comics are essentially just an IP farm for Disney, WB and ... Netflix?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Bust Rodd posted:

Did anyone else feel like the golden time owl at the end of the universe was, at least visually, a reference the the golden time owl in the Adventure Time universe? The R&M one is absolutely darker and more guant, less round like a pokemon, but it was basically the same color pallete and felt influenced.

I don't think it was a reference, but my mind went right to the owl in Secret of Nimh.

Also what's the bit with Dr. Wong being an alien? I don't remember that at all.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Rick has a line in the last finale, "Smart guns: white-list human life... and the therapist." This is definitely not a joke about Rick's views of therapists, Dr. Wong must be an alien.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ror posted:

Rick has a line in the last finale, "Smart guns: white-list human life... and the therapist." This is definitely not a joke about Rick's views of therapists, Dr. Wong must be an alien.

Or it's the fact that Rick programmed those guns targeting computers, so would use his definition of 'human'. Which wouldn't include therapists or bureaucrats.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Paingod556 posted:

Or it's the fact that Rick programmed those guns targeting computers, so would use his definition of 'human'. Which wouldn't include therapists or bureaucrats.

Also impressive considering Rick often forgets the term, “human.”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is funny that Wong has a speech all ready for Rick, but it makes total sense; Rick is an international celebrity, with many of his highs and lows public knowledge on Earth, and she's clearly done her research getting ready to treat his family. And I imagine she wouldn't have taken the job if she wasn't ready to deal with Rick's bullshit both personally and on a danger-to-life-and-limb level.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is funny that Wong has a speech all ready for Rick, but it makes total sense; Rick is an international celebrity, with many of his highs and lows public knowledge on Earth, and she's clearly done her research getting ready to treat his family. And I imagine she wouldn't have taken the job if she wasn't ready to deal with Rick's bullshit both personally and on a danger-to-life-and-limb level.

I don’t get this sense from the show at all. There is nothing to suggest Rick is a famous or household name, just that he’s on every government watchlist within the known universe.

Wong has the speech prepared because she just spent an hour talking to the Smiths and realized that the family patriarch was the lynchpin to their entire family dynamic and as a therapist in her mid-to-late 50’s Rick is definitely not the only alcoholic dragging his whole family down that she’s dealt with.

Wong is not an alien, holy poo poo, goons are so bad at watching TV and getting jokes lmao

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

withak posted:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Wong is not an alien, holy poo poo, goons are so bad at watching TV and getting jokes lmao

Speaking as the goon who brought it up, yes, I fully got the reading that Rick's being a dismissive jerk and that he thinks therapists are a lesser form of life. However, I think it's also fun to look at the line from a different angle, as an idea that's fun to kick around. (Particularly given the controversy around the character's casting.)

It's a reading, and a fun one. That's all.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Bust Rodd posted:

This is like that whole bean-counter debate.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Michael Scott: “I acquit!”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's the debate? He hates bean counters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Any R&M hill you choose to die on will inevitably be a farting rear end.