Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ninjewtsu posted:

I liked how ricklike morty's interactions with the civilization were. He started nice enough but as soon as it became even a mild inconvenience for him he took a "get what I want and get out" approach and as soon as it was more than a mild inconvenience for him he didn't even think twice about murdering everyone

It’s been like 5 years since Morty’s first Purge planet experience, and underneath all the Smith he’s still a Sanchez. Hell just look at Summer’s background gag this episode, both of the Smith children are cold-dicked killers

Also for anyone who has the option, the episode is legit funnier on YouTube, the censor bleeps ruined at least one funny joke when I watched it on cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

~toxic~ R&M fans think they’re Rick, at best are Jerry, and most realistically are just the gif of Beth pouring the wine after shooting Mister Poopey Butthole
:shrug:

Not sure that comparison works this season, Jerry's life is going pretty good right now. He's going to therapy, his relationship with his wife has dramatically improved, and he just had a threesome with the king of the ocean.

Jerry is getting his poo poo together.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Once Jerry realized that his super genius wife and super genius dad are both huge losers he stopped taking as much poo poo and started pushing back a little and the character works much better IMO.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Once Jerry realized that his super genius wife and super genius dad are both huge losers he stopped taking as much poo poo and started pushing back a little and the character works much better IMO.

Yeah this is a great point, the character dynamics have actually grown in a really interesting way

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bust Rodd posted:

As a 25 year Internet nerd, there is no fandom on Earth more openly toxic and hostile than Supernatural’s fans, Rick & Morty fans just got highlighted because of all the Szechuan Sauce McDonald’s stuff

Dude no. It’s Star Wars. It’s been Star Wars for over 20 years. It’s even worse now because now it’s got a tinge of racism in the mix lmao

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CelticPredator posted:

Dude no. It’s Star Wars. It’s been Star Wars for over 20 years. It’s even worse now because now it’s got a tinge of racism in the mix lmao

You're completely right. I feel like even the most hardcore Supernatural fans acknowledge that the show by and large sucks. I don't even know who is still out there stanning supernatural, all the Tumblr superwholock kids grew up and walked away. By comparison, Star Wars is one of the most common denominators of nerdery and so it has a much active, much louder fanbase.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Somberbrero posted:

You're completely right. I feel like even the most hardcore Supernatural fans acknowledge that the show by and large sucks. I don't even know who is still out there stanning supernatural, all the Tumblr superwholock kids grew up and walked away. By comparison, Star Wars is one of the most common denominators of nerdery and so it has a much active, much louder fanbase.

Yeah, say what you want about Rick and Morty fans (please? they're hilarious losers and there's so much material there) but I don't think it ever got a "this isn't misogynistic enough" organized fan movement

Btw, besides "all of them" the worst fanbase is renaissance art. Prove me wrong.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Star Trek.

Because of all the pedophiles.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

World War Mammories posted:

very suspicious of anyone who wouldn't [gently caress Mr Nimbus] imo

I'd want to know what's in the gift basket, honestly. Be a deal-breaker if it's just soaps and flowers.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sockser posted:

Renaissance art.

Because of all the incredibly rich pedophiles.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sockser posted:

Star Trek.

Because of all the pedophiles.

Hey, we had the one pedophile and he was outed and banned.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cojawfee posted:

Hey, we had the one pedophile and he who was outed and banned.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Bust Rodd posted:

He's become self aware about his role. He's not a super scientist, but he does what he can. He says "Hey!", he uses puppets, and he calls the police.

It's also really fun how's he's trying to logically guess that Rick's nemesis must be a magic guy.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

The worst fan base is the fan base of the USA

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's also really fun how's he's trying to logically guess that Rick's nemesis must be a magic guy.

I absolutely loved this because it’s Jerry having finally adapted to the crazy world of Rick, he’s just slower on the uptake than the kids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We really need that one Namor comic with dogs and barrels. You know the one.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jonas Albrecht posted:

No saying about dick size not mattering is true.
In my experience, most people who think this are people who think having a big dick makes you good in bed.

Spare me from ever having that experience ever again, please and thank you.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But not redheads. Ick!

EDIT:

I ain't gonna' go so far as to say comic books are bad, since I've been a fan of the medium for several decades...

But comic writers and editors are definitely bad.

Imagine putting "the rare-ish color of your hair, which is tied to your genes, makes you gross" into a medium currently dying because it continuously fails to make new, young fans, despite being what must at this point be the most successful IP on Earth.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Summer really should have known to break rather than blow the shell. It's perfectly logical with this sort of show and she's been living it for several years at this point!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

I absolutely loved this because it’s Jerry having finally adapted to the crazy world of Rick, he’s just slower on the uptake than the kids.

"Is that Mr. Nimbus?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

In my experience, most people who think this are people who think having a big dick makes you good in bed.

Spare me from ever having that experience ever again, please and thank you.

I ain't gonna' go so far as to say comic books are bad, since I've been a fan of the medium for several decades...

But comic writers and editors are definitely bad.

Imagine putting "the rare-ish color of your hair, which is tied to your genes, makes you gross" into a medium currently dying because it continuously fails to make new, young fans, despite being what must at this point be the most successful IP on Earth.

I feel the joke is more that he's the one Marvel character who doesn't desperately want to gently caress redheads

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"Is that Mr. Nimbus?"

Dispite the fact that he's constantly saying his own name, a lot of people seem to have trouble with it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Comics are dying for the same 2 reasons that magazines are dying: because smart phones essentially killed reading physical media and were now on our second generation of young people raised entirely online who have and will never read a paper book, and also because printing a full color magazine on paper and mailing all over the world is an order of magnitude more expensive now than it was in the 80’s/90’s…

It’s not just because comics are bad.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It occurs to me that Summer going on the commando mission is a sign of Rick's character development, too. He used to hate the idea of involving anyone but Morty in his business.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It occurs to me that Summer going on the commando mission is a sign of Rick's character development, too. He used to hate the idea of involving anyone but Morty in his business.

Or Kyle, whoever that was ...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Or Kyle, whoever that was ...

I can't tell if that was them setting up the canonical continuity joke, or an actual example of the show setting up some canon continuity.

The Doctor Wong reference surprised me too. (She's an alien, right? Based off the gag from last year's finale?)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I can't tell if that was them setting up the canonical continuity joke, or an actual example of the show setting up some canon continuity.

I couldn't tell what they were going for either, so I guess I'm bad at watching TV. At first glance, I thought it was Nimbus disrespecting Jerry by not remembering his name, but that doesn't really fit the context well.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

Comics are dying for the same 2 reasons that magazines are dying: because smart phones essentially killed reading physical media and were now on our second generation of young people raised entirely online who have and will never read a paper book, and also because printing a full color magazine on paper and mailing all over the world is an order of magnitude more expensive now than it was in the 80’s/90’s…

It’s not just because comics are bad.

Yeah, people are still way into super heroes, they just need to figure out a profitable way to publish content online.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I thought "Kyle" was Mr Nimbus just misremembering Jerry's name

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I liked when Jerry is like "Wait really he's the guy? I have seen you gently caress a PLANET !"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Kyle is Rick's side morty.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
The R&M fanbase has been pretty quiet since the whole McDonalds incident. But maybe that's just because Rick hasn't instructed us to go do anything specific.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mainstream comics also have an absurdly reader-hostile business model that requires you to follow multiple 'books' at a time to actually follow the story, and routinely changing up writers, artists, names and series where you need a goddamn flowchart to even try to keep things straight. And then they put a new writer on it and everything you like about it is thrown away and forgotten forever.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Morty would have smashed it. :colbert:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Manga is doing better than ever so I don’t think the problem is distribution related.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mainstream comics also have an absurdly reader-hostile business model that requires you to follow multiple 'books' at a time to actually follow the story, and routinely changing up writers, artists, names and series where you need a goddamn flowchart to even try to keep things straight. And then they put a new writer on it and everything you like about it is thrown away and forgotten forever.

Similar to comic book shows where I happen to like one show but then they do a crossover with another show and I'm supposed to know who all these random characters are.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
It has everything to do with tons of low quality crap and politics being inserted into everything.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We really need that one Namor comic with dogs and barrels. You know the one.

Come on Marvel, make a M.O.D.O.K-esque Namor show. This is your chance.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't forget A WORLD CHANGING SUPER EVENT literally every two years that upends the entire continuity, introduces a billion new characters, a new cosmic super force that is WaY MoRE PowErFUl then the last one, couple of multiverses, new backstories, and oh if you finally manage to have the time and money to read all of this here is a NEW WORLD CHANGING SUPER EVENT...

Getting back into any comics is a nightmare.

Except for Namor, because that's a loving Tuesday for him and nobody ever sticks around for long (because they die, usually horribly) anyway

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 24, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Similar to comic book shows where I happen to like one show but then they do a crossover with another show and I'm supposed to know who all these random characters are.

At least you can treat the TV/movie stuff as one big “The Marvel Show” since you only need to watch like 2 movies a year along with maybe 2 short seasons of television to keep up. The comics on the other hand have like 50 series going at once that release a new chapter every month. The quality is also much more sporadic so keeping on top of things will require reading a ton of books that are outright dogshit.

I don’t care for mainstream superhero comics is what I’m saying.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I tried seriously following comics exactly once, I started with the Ultimate series because they promised not to do this poo poo. Guess how that worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It should be stressed that there is a side world of independent, non-super hero comics and stories that are amazing and hyper kickass, it’s just that superhero books are hard to do well