Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

VideoGameVet posted:

It’s not so much nationalize, but more directing and replicating the French model which worked.

I think 'worked' is a strong claim:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421516300106

France saw lower cost escalation over their build-out than the US, but still managed to see costs rise over their deployment programme. There are a number of explanations for this that the paper covers, but having the Government constantly whispering in the ear of the industry doesn't help. Witness the UK's AGRs, built at the behest of the Government rather than the central planner, which the paper doesn't cover as I think we're still too embarrassed to share costs.

Out of all the nations that have done nuclear without being happy to sacrifice workers to the Mighty Atom, South Korea is the only one where you can definitely say what they did worked. What they did was start building later than the West, benefitting from existing R&D, and stamp out a standardised design. You could absolutely do that in the West (planning consent permitting), but we appear to be addicted to novel reactor design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Aethernet posted:

You could absolutely do that in the West (planning consent permitting), but we appear to be addicted to novel reactor design.
The stories I've heard over the years suggest that cocaine had a not insignificant impact on the design decisions (and operation, if some SROs I know are to be believed) of nuclear power plants in the 70s and 80s.

I mean, more logically the unique design stems from the desire to make every plant you build the Best Plant Ever, but it's more terrifying/fun to think of the fact that everyone working at a nuke plant took a coke break during lunch.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Well we had to drag American Automakers kicking and screaming into the modern Industrial era, its not really suprising that even Nuclear construction hasn't seen the light on standardized parts. Someone get the Japanese on the phone.

Ironically, the Russians are the closest to a true assembly line for reactors with the VVER series and Atommash

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 11, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Trabisnikof posted:

You're citing a book published in 1980, which by its very nature misses what has happened in the last 40 years.

Instead, let us look at more recent peer reviewed research:

writeup here https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/11/why-are-nuclear-plants-so-expensive-safetys-only-part-of-the-story/

original paper here: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joule.2020.10.001 (available on scihub for anyone who wants to read it for free)

American nuclear reactors have a negative learning rate and that clearly indicates something wrong with the industry.

When you look at what happened to V.C Summer it becomes clear what's going on.

Ratepayers are going to be stuck with a $2.3 billion dollar bill for a reactor that was never completed.

So why not cut corners, at worst you get your investment, at best you get to 3x your budget to fix the issues you caused. Win-win for the construction firms (except power operators aren't that dumb so they just abandon new nuclear instead of risking it.)

Thank you for posting this.

We’re never going to get new reactors unless this issue is addressed. There’s more profit in a failed build than one that works.

Also, we can stop blaming the hippies for this mess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

Also, we can stop blaming the hippies for this mess.

Eh, they still share a large amount of the blame, at least the Boomers do: Years of Anti-Nuclear mythos and endless desire to be "Cheap, cheap, cheap" undermined any progress we might have made.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CommieGIR posted:

Eh, they still share a large amount of the blame, at least the Boomers do: Years of Anti-Nuclear mythos and endless desire to be "Cheap, cheap, cheap" undermined any progress we might have made.

This is like the “Thanks Obama” memes. Nothing the ‘hippies’ or the rest of the anti-nuke crowd did has anything to do with the V.C Summer story posted above.

It’s pure grift.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

CommieGIR posted:

Like much in the United States, it's difficult to gauge how much public sentiment actually affects public policy. Some studies indicate that statistically it has virtually no impact at all, though nuclear power might be an exception to that due to special circumstances.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

VideoGameVet posted:

This is like the “Thanks Obama” memes. Nothing the ‘hippies’ or the rest of the anti-nuke crowd did has anything to do with the V.C Summer story posted above.

It’s pure grift.
In that sense it's comparable to all the other public construction project failures in the US and Europe over the last twenty years. Poor planning, a design that's unnecessarily complicated, cost overruns not actually hurting the bottom line of the contractors. At a minimum, there should be an overrun threshold above which the contractor gets audited and the profit in the contract is reduced to zero.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

suck my woke dick posted:

In that sense it's comparable to all the other public construction project failures in the US and Europe over the last twenty years. Poor planning, a design that's unnecessarily complicated, cost overruns not actually hurting the bottom line of the contractors. At a minimum, there should be an overrun threshold above which the contractor gets audited and the profit in the contract is reduced to zero.

There should be penalties for this and if there were bonuses paid to execs during that period, even criminal prosecutions.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phan, if you're going to debate with people dude, at least do them the courtesy of reading the entirety of their post in order, goddamn.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Kaal posted:

Like much in the United States, it's difficult to gauge how much public sentiment actually affects public policy. Some studies indicate that statistically it has virtually no impact at all, though nuclear power might be an exception to that due to special circumstances.

Didn't voters in Nevada prevent the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Storage despite being entirely environmentally sound and safe?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Didn't voters in Nevada prevent the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Storage despite being entirely environmentally sound and safe?

My understanding is that Harry Reid opposed it personally rather than due to any public initiative. Of course this sort of thing is difficult to parse specifically.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1403580304904704001?s=20

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's like a gigantic lightbulb frying birds like moths.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I just love how the right wingers have suddenly transformed into John F-Ing Audubon when it comes to bird deaths from wind and solar.

Ignoring that burning coal and skyscrapers kill magnitudes more ... not to mention these guys:

Data:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
When government agencies and others make these predictions that solar electricity will become 15-20% of the electricity generated in the US in 2050, I think they are envisioning solar cells/solar photovoltaic, and not these kinds of concentrated solar power plants. I don't think they are going to be building more Ivanpah-type plants.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My home kills at least 2-3 birds a year. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

I just love how the right wingers have suddenly transformed into John F-Ing Audubon when it comes to bird deaths from wind and solar.

Ignoring that burning coal and skyscrapers kill magnitudes more ... not to mention these guys:

Data:

Its just as well these sort of plants are not even competing with Silicon PVs anymore, they are horribly inefficient compared to even them.

And yes, cats are big problem, agreed. The point was that Green energy has its own environmental costs, and that point remains true. If you follow the thread too, there are people openly ignorant defending using Deserts for PV as "They are lifeless" which not only false but incredibly ignorant.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Its just as well these sort of plants are not even competing with Silicon PVs anymore, they are horribly inefficient compared to even them.

And yes, cats are big problem, agreed. The point was that Green energy has its own environmental costs, and that point remains true. If you follow the thread too, there are people openly ignorant defending using Deserts for PV as "They are lifeless" which not only false but incredibly ignorant.

Everything has an environmental cost, but it’s false equivalency to compare wind/solar to what coal and skyscrapers (and kitties) do to birds.

Also these are the same people who wanted to cook Spotted Owls as a political statement.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

large scale solar thermal and PV are both somewhere around 20-35%, “horribly inefficient” compared to PV strikes me as inaccurate

The main difference is price, where PV has plummeted for more than a decade while solar thermal has not. And the need for storage hasn’t put enough price pressure on systems to make up for PVs cost advantage.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK, I am not a D&D guy, and a lot of this thread is over my head, but this seemed like a good place to ask:

https://twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1404498195795828746

A bunch of power stations are down for maintenance during an energy shortage in Texas.
Is this the same thing Enron did? Shutting down a bunch of plants for "maintenance?" I don't know enough about how it works in Texas to know if that benefits them monetarily.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

In the case of Texas, its hard to say where the sheer incompetence ends and where the malicious intent begins.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ERCOT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV-p_-OvUnA

Edit: A friend asks why this didn't happen last summer or the summer before.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 15, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Because the executives in charge figure they have an impossibly bad image after the winter storm earlier this year and may as well do as much corruption as possible before jumping out of the plane with a golden parachute

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/egyp7/status/1404646065865900045?s=20

https://twitter.com/Dr_Keefer/status/1407359116666982405?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 22, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
A quick bump:

https://twitter.com/nuclearny/status/1407365737690415114?s=20

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Natural gas got its name from being compared to coal gasification products, which were artificial. Since coal is also a fossil fuel, Town Gas (as it was called in the UK) was also essentially a fossil gas.

Since the more obvious contemporary contrast is bio-derived hydrocarbons, fossil gas could be used - but it would also apply to blue hydrogen, which is derived from NG. Therefore something more specific like Planet Murder Gas should apply.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I noted the charge for the decommissioning of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station on my electric bill this month.

Why am I paying for SDG&E and PG&E's mistakes?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aethernet posted:

Natural gas got its name from being compared to coal gasification products, which were artificial. Since coal is also a fossil fuel, Town Gas (as it was called in the UK) was also essentially a fossil gas.

Since the more obvious contemporary contrast is bio-derived hydrocarbons, fossil gas could be used - but it would also apply to blue hydrogen, which is derived from NG. Therefore something more specific like Planet Murder Gas should apply.

I think it's fine to also call blue hydrogen fossil gas

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

I think it's fine to also call blue hydrogen fossil gas

I mean you can, it just makes it harder to tell what you're talking about.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Aethernet posted:

I mean you can, it just makes it harder to tell what you're talking about.

To be honest it's unclear why there should be any particular distinction. "Blue Hydrogen" is just normal Fossil Gas with carbon capture and storage. CCS can be used with any form of fossil fuel, including coal. In fact you can make hydrogen by processing coal almost as easily as you can make it from fossil gas. If there's a misnomer here, it is in associating blue hydrogen with any particular fossil fuel source rather than all of them.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 22, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

I noted the charge for the decommissioning of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station on my electric bill this month.

Look it’s very important that private companies own and operate our electrical infrastructure and also always be guaranteed a profit.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Didn’t they have a giant pile of money set aside for decommissioning? All the Exelon nuclear plants have a decommissioning fund that is supposedly like $1billion each. I am sure they are playing all kinds of fun games with that money, and not just letting it sit there though. That is supposedly the whole reason Exelon went on a nuclear buying spree, to get their hands on the decommissioning funds, and some sort of hand wavy market efficiencies. Oh, and payments from the states to keep the high paying jobs associated with clean energy around.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

To be honest it's unclear why there should be any particular distinction. "Blue Hydrogen" is just normal Fossil Gas with carbon capture and storage. CCS can be used with any form of fossil fuel, including coal. In fact you can make hydrogen by processing coal almost as easily as you can make it from fossil gas. If there's a misnomer here, it is in associating blue hydrogen with any particular fossil fuel source rather than all of them.

I suppose it depends on the domain we're talking about. For the purposes of comms and campaigns, "Fossil gas" could refer to NG, blue and grey hydrogen, fossil-derived syngas or any other fossil-based gaseous product. For policy and engineering, you'd want to refer to the actual chemical, and if appropriate, its production pathway.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Orvin posted:

Didn’t they have a giant pile of money set aside for decommissioning? All the Exelon nuclear plants have a decommissioning fund that is supposedly like $1billion each. I am sure they are playing all kinds of fun games with that money, and not just letting it sit there though. That is supposedly the whole reason Exelon went on a nuclear buying spree, to get their hands on the decommissioning funds, and some sort of hand wavy market efficiencies. Oh, and payments from the states to keep the high paying jobs associated with clean energy around.

Decommissioning is funded by a small surcharge paid by consumers over the lifetime of the plant in their power bills. Plant decommissioned early means the fund isn't full (plus the cost will always rise above expectations). So PG&E goes to the CA regulators and asks "hey can we raise rates to pay for decommissioning" and since it's basically a revolving door between regulators and the industry they go "sure, have at it."

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://scitechdaily.com/nuclear-batteries-offer-a-new-approach-to-carbon-free-energy/amp/

Micronukes are one of my favourite potential solutions as a heat source for heat networks in dense urban environments, despite their obvious public acceptability challenges! They're much more likely than large scale nukes to lower in cost, thanks to efficiencies mass production can offer. If only someone was brave enough to start a market for them...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Aethernet posted:

https://scitechdaily.com/nuclear-batteries-offer-a-new-approach-to-carbon-free-energy/amp/

Micronukes are one of my favourite potential solutions as a heat source for heat networks in dense urban environments, despite their obvious public acceptability challenges! They're much more likely than large scale nukes to lower in cost, thanks to efficiencies mass production can offer. If only someone was brave enough to start a market for them...

There's some hope for that, but I think most of the community really behind things like SMRs right now, but Micronuclear Batteries could be a good thing for energy storage solutions and using high level waste in effective energy generating methods.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
“This way it becomes sort of energy on demand. If the customer wants either heat or electricity, they can get it within a couple of months, or even weeks, and then it’s plug and play. This machine arrives on the site, and just a few days later, you start getting your energy. “

Site licensing alone takes longer than that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

“This way it becomes sort of energy on demand. If the customer wants either heat or electricity, they can get it within a couple of months, or even weeks, and then it’s plug and play. This machine arrives on the site, and just a few days later, you start getting your energy. “

Yup, there is that, and that's a major barrier that would likely means this never happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, planning and licencing regimes are an impediment. I think the idea is that you can mount one literally on a truck though, which is subject to a different set of permissions that can be centralised. This could be a solution for event power, rather than diesel gens. Of course, for bigger installations you'd need an actual planning application and a nuke licence.

There's probably a solid argument for having different licencing regimes for different tiers of risk, though.