Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

b_d posted:

pirdie butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

American McGay posted:

It sucks and does a disservice to one of the greatest Gameboy games of all time.

:hai:

Dr Hot Wheels
Jun 11, 2021

American McGee's Crazy Door
Playing Mario Golf and 100% baffled by the decision to have no matchmaking for multiplayer—just a straight up lobby browser. Everyone has quit out of every online game I've managed to start up.

I hope to God they have plans to have a tournament mode like Tennis Aces did or something or anything, because Jesus Christ its online feels dead-on-arrival.

The golf part rules though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Works fine on my machine.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Did they get rid of the asynchronous multiplayer tournaments from the 3DS version or are those still in?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They're gone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Hot Wheels posted:

Playing Mario Golf and 100% baffled by the decision to have no matchmaking for multiplayer—just a straight up lobby browser. Everyone has quit out of every online game I've managed to start up.

I hope to God they have plans to have a tournament mode like Tennis Aces did or something or anything, because Jesus Christ its online feels dead-on-arrival.

The golf part rules though.

Lobby browsers are way cooler than matchmaking.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

In Training posted:

Lobby browsers are way cooler than matchmaking.

e.g. guilty gear strive. i can dress my guy up like potemkin when i go look for people to ruin me. Does the mario golf lobby browser work like that?

Dr Hot Wheels
Jun 11, 2021

American McGee's Crazy Door
No. I'd be way more into it if I could dress my Monty Mole up like a pumpkin while I wait or whatever it is you said

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This guy and I were tied pretty much the whole match and then I hit a sick chip in on the final shot to take the win.

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1409025198435667972

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1409025418968014852

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lmfao at +21

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I'm excited to golf

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

American McGay posted:

This guy and I were tied pretty much the whole match and then I hit a sick chip in on the final shot to take the win.

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1409025198435667972

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1409025418968014852

That dude brings shame to waluigi.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

It’s so lame to ragequit golf lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

wonderful 101 remaster is 15 at best buy fyi

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

HORMELCHILI posted:

It’s so lame to ragequit golf lmao

gently caress you guys *drives away at 5mph in golf cart*

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

AverySpecialfriend posted:

gently caress you guys *drives away at 5mph in golf cart*

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Shoved all my points in adventure mode into distance and I don’t think there’s any reason not to

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I just finished the 3rd area and I think I have like 15 points in power, 3 points in stamina, 7 points in speed/control/spin.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

links awakenjng is so sick

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

HolePisser1982 posted:

they had good game ideas

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HolePisser1982 posted:

the best pre ocarina zelda

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

HolePisser1982 posted:

it's one of the best

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Chill Callahan posted:

Shoved all my points in adventure mode into distance and I don’t think there’s any reason not to

getting on the green on a par 5 in 2 strokes is nice. but you have to be careful about other holes, sometimes you have to take a baby shot on purpose just to line yourself up properly

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Links awakening, wind waker, breath of the wild for me. But I do still need to play majoras as it’s the only mainline Zelda I have yet to play through

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I’m probably overthinking it but control and spin decrease every few levels so if you keep them at 1 they can’t decrease any more and I can just level them up later when I’m done with distance. And the accuracy meter doesn’t really put the ball that far off course so I can just power through the courses like tiger in the 90s

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i'm 99% sure that i only have to press a once when i set the shot power, but i still try and time a 2nd press when the power meter lines up. it probably has no effect, but i'm pretty sure button mashing after you throw a poke ball has no effect either and i'm not gonna stop doing that either

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Plank Walker posted:

i'm 99% sure that i only have to press a once when i set the shot power, but i still try and time a 2nd press when the power meter lines up. it probably has no effect, but i'm pretty sure button mashing after you throw a poke ball has no effect either and i'm not gonna stop doing that either

Lmao I keep thinking this too and haven’t gotten around to actually testing if a second A press has any effect yet and probably never will

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

is there a way to apply less power to your shots like in the 3ds game? meaning like lining up the power before you shoot. seems weird that there wouldn't be

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Tetramin posted:

Lmao I keep thinking this too and haven’t gotten around to actually testing if a second A press has any effect yet and probably never will

Just tested it and yeah it looks like it either makes no difference or very little. Maybe second A press makes your aim more accurate but it still seems fairly random

I’m still doing it because it feels wrong not to

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

is there a way to apply less power to your shots like in the 3ds game? meaning like lining up the power before you shoot. seems weird that there wouldn't be

I don’t think so, or at least I haven’t been able to figure out how. I think you’re supposed to just use the carry & roll markers (or whatever the terms are) to judge and time it.

It’s super minimalist and it works but stuff like that would be a nice QOL addition

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 29, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Seems like they went away from the "arc view" that a lot of the older games had. The little line that comes out of your character before a shot is basically meaningless, and only indicates if you're on a steep hill (red or blue) and doesn't really indicate how the ball will travel at all.

This is especially noticeable when trying to avoid things like trees and cliffs. In previous games you'd just cycle through your clubs and get a clear indication of if you'd hit it, but now you have to do it all in your head. It's frustrating but I think I kinda like it. The main issue I have with it so far is that you really have no idea how high your wedge shots are gonna go or if you're gonna be able to clear a cliffside, but that's just something you'll have to get used to with time and learn.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

it seems like they've shied away from the more technical gameplay in favor of... speed golf. there's like 4 adventure mode challenges revolved around speed golf in a row and it loving sucks. i can see their vision for the game but i much prefer the classic. there's really no good in-game camera at all, which is bizarre regardless of their intentions

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've gotten used to using the terminator vision to check out the lie of places where I want to land, but yeah it's certainly an adjustment from someone who played a ton of the older games. Not having flying cam or arc view or the adjustable distance marker is a big departure.

I also think the course designs are kinda held back by making everything "speedable". The Rookie course is a joke and it shouldn't even be taking up one of the main slots, and the others are all varying degrees of interesting but with annoying bits of overlap. I was thinking of what cool courses they could come up with in the future and thought of like a beach/island map with a ton of water but then realized that wouldn't really work with speed golf at all.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Does the Link’s Awakening remake still have the screen warp glitch? If no I’m not playing it

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Yea tbh I’m starting to just play online or quick play slow golf mode more than adventure. The overhead camera situation kinda pissed me off not being able to see where my guy is unless I’m zoomed out 100 times. I’m having a blast with the game but I don’t see why the new golf modes needed to be focused on so much.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1409708199003889670

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

now this is loving epic

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bouillon Rube posted:

Does the Link’s Awakening remake still have the screen warp glitch? If no I’m not playing it

The screen warp isn't even in DX. And the remake doesn't even have screens iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If only RC was still with us