Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"Oh hot dog, finally we'll get MM collected!"
*gets a recolor Nu-Gradient version*

"Well... at least MacFarlane won't be able to use him!"
*Man of Miracles bullshit*

"Oh... uh... well... maybe they'll finish up Gaiman's arc?"
*crickets *

Goddamn monkey paw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

yeah I was misremembering about the Original Writer situation, the Captain Britain trade I have from 2001 has Moore's name on the cover and he wrote the introduction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Boy remember back when some people thought Marvel was gonna introduce MM to the main Marvel U with Age of Ultron (the comic event not the movie)? Back in *checks wiki* 2013?

Such wild times...

I'm not sure what the point of Miracle Man being in the 616 when you've got Hyperion, Blue Marvel and Sentry plus a couple other Superman espies I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Miracle Man in the Marvel U wouldn't be Miracle Man. It'd look like him, but it would be a very different character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh God, I just realized if it happened in Age of Ultron Bendis would likely have been in charge of his early chacterization.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It seems like Miracleman's narrative thrust has kind of become completely mainstream to the point of having been moved past, so it would perhaps almost seem retro now.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Hi BSS goons, I have a handful of Star Wars comics I would like to offload as I didn't follow through with collecting them like I thought I would. I want to find values for them but the sites I've been trying are locked behind accounts. Is there a good site for checking prices that doesn't need an account or if someone has an account can they run a small list for me? I'll be selling the lot too if anyone is interested shoot me a PM or gmail (same username)

Darth Vader 1 (3rd print)
Darth Vader 2 (3rd print)
Darth Vader 3 (2nd print)
Darth Vader 4
Darth Vader 5
Darth Vader 6
Kanan 1
Kanan 2
Kanan 3
Princess Leia 1
Princess Leia 2
Princess Leia 3
Princess Leia 4
Star Wars 1
Star Wars 2 (4th print)
Star Wars 3
Star Wars 4
Star Wars 5
Star Wars 6

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For reasons that remain unclear to me, I’m watching the early-90s Canadian kids’ show The Odyssey, and I’ve noticed that almost every episode of the third season features an issue of Defiant Comics’ Warriors of Plasm. It’s really bizarre, because as far as I know, Warriors of Plasm only lasted one year and there’s really no reason for comic books to be in the show at all, much less a bottom-tier title from a company that was born dead. There are occasional appearances of other Defiant titles too, and nothing from any other publisher.

I’m trying to figure out why a CBC kids’ show would hype Jim Shooter’s worst mistake. All I can figure out is that maybe someone involved in the show was an investor in Defiant. Is there anything out there about the birth and death of Defiant? I wouldn’t put it past Jim Shooter to make weird promotion deals.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Most likely a producer mistakenly thought it was gonna be the hit new thing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Was listening to back episodes of The Fantasticast a couple years ago, where they acted out the Hostess adds, with some introductory music based on the character.

They did one featuring Marvel's Captain Marvel, and they played Chick Corea's Captain Marvel to introduce it.

There'd been three Captain Marvel's published by the time that song came out. The song's probably not about the MF Enterprises Captain Marvel, and I suspect the Kree Captain Marvel was probably too new in '72 to be the reason for the name.

Is the song definitely named after the Fawcett/DC Captain Marvel, one of the others, or is there another reason for the name?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Most likely a producer mistakenly thought it was gonna be the hit new thing.

I also never considered until now that they might have been able to get Defiant comics very cheaply as props or set dressing. One of the characters works in a comic book store, and every comic book in the background is Warriors of Plasm or The Good Guys, just the same four or fives issues alternated across all the shelves and in all the spinner racks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I also never considered until now that they might have been able to get Defiant comics very cheaply as props or set dressing. One of the characters works in a comic book store, and every comic book in the background is Warriors of Plasm or The Good Guys, just the same four or fives issues alternated across all the shelves and in all the spinner racks.

Oh yeah, they might of bought it cheap as a backdrop.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
If it's this show called The Odyssey, the third season aired October to December 1994, and was presumably shot earlier the same year.

I can't find/don't recall any news about it being product placement/any sort of partnership, but I would assume it was more that than "cheap backfill randomly purchased" for a few reasons.

Defiant Comics launched in August 1993 and at the time was considered a potentially big new company since it was seen as all of the "idea" people from Valiant who had left that company after it got big/had power consolidated around the money guy at Valiant who wanted to just max out the number of monthly titles/crossovers/gimmick cover/etc.

They were kneecapped almost immediately by both external pressures (the Plasmer/Plasm lawsuit from Marvel that while dismissed still cost a lot to fight in court, the imminent collapse of the trading card/comic book speculation market) and internal (deciding to launch Plasm with a trading card set instead of a comic, possibly misreading the direct market in thinking they wanted new fantasy/sci-fi material, not just more superheroes) but they still would have been seen as a potential new player in the early months of 1994. If you wanted cheap set dressing, there were lots of (slightly) older comics floating around you probably could've gotten for free, not recent stuff from a new publisher that didn't do massive overprints.

Also, once Defiant collapsed, Shooter's next company was Broadway Comics, which was formed as a subsidiary of Broadway Video, a company formed by (Canadian) television impresario Lorne Michaels. It also didn't last very long either, but it shows that Shooter was working with/interacting with [Canadian] television folks in that era, so some sort of collaboration to get his comics onto a television show seems likely.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

For reasons that remain unclear to me, I’m watching the early-90s Canadian kids’ show The Odyssey, and I’ve noticed that almost every episode of the third season features an issue of Defiant Comics’ Warriors of Plasm. It’s really bizarre, because as far as I know, Warriors of Plasm only lasted one year and there’s really no reason for comic books to be in the show at all, much less a bottom-tier title from a company that was born dead. There are occasional appearances of other Defiant titles too, and nothing from any other publisher.

I’m trying to figure out why a CBC kids’ show would hype Jim Shooter’s worst mistake. All I can figure out is that maybe someone involved in the show was an investor in Defiant. Is there anything out there about the birth and death of Defiant? I wouldn’t put it past Jim Shooter to make weird promotion deals.

Oh man, The Odyssey. My memories of that on CBC are extremely blurred by age, and I'd have called anyone who told me it had a 3rd season a liar.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

They were kneecapped almost immediately by both external pressures (the Plasmer/Plasm lawsuit from Marvel that while dismissed still cost a lot to fight in court, the imminent collapse of the trading card/comic book speculation market) and internal (deciding to launch Plasm with a trading card set instead of a comic, possibly misreading the direct market in thinking they wanted new fantasy/sci-fi material, not just more superheroes) but they still would have been seen as a potential new player in the early months of 1994. If you wanted cheap set dressing, there were lots of (slightly) older comics floating around you probably could've gotten for free, not recent stuff from a new publisher that didn't do massive overprints.

That brings to mind watching Jim Shooter on the Home Shopping Network hawking Plasm cards and comics with a host and reflecting that while Shooter had many talents, enthusiastic hype man was not one of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Oh man, The Odyssey. My memories of that on CBC are extremely blurred by age, and I'd have called anyone who told me it had a 3rd season a liar.

It aired in America on Sci-Fi channel after the fact so it wasn't clear when they did the season changeovers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Voyage of the Mimi also had a young Bruce Wayne for some reason...?!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That’s part of why I’m watching it. I think I had it confused with Dr Who in my memories, but I have vague memories of them advertising more episodes about the kid after he woke up from his coma and I wanted to finally know what that was about.

Watching with adult eyes, I cringe through basically every episode, but the child version of every Vancouver tv actor 2000-2012 shows up: both Ginger Snaps ladies, Ryan Reynolds, Jewel Staite, Will Sasso, the russian roulette psychic guy from X-Files, the goatee guy from Anti-Gravity Room—it makes most episodes weirdly exciting to watch. The only actors I don’t recognize are the main characters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

If it's this show called The Odyssey, the third season aired October to December 1994, and was presumably shot earlier the same year.

I can't find/don't recall any news about it being product placement/any sort of partnership, but I would assume it was more that than "cheap backfill randomly purchased" for a few reasons.

Defiant Comics launched in August 1993 and at the time was considered a potentially big new company since it was seen as all of the "idea" people from Valiant who had left that company after it got big/had power consolidated around the money guy at Valiant who wanted to just max out the number of monthly titles/crossovers/gimmick cover/etc.

Also, once Defiant collapsed, Shooter's next company was Broadway Comics, which was formed as a subsidiary of Broadway Video, a company formed by (Canadian) television impresario Lorne Michaels. It also didn't last very long either, but it shows that Shooter was working with/interacting with [Canadian] television folks in that era, so some sort of collaboration to get his comics onto a television show seems likely.

Thanks! Has there ever been a downward career trajectory faster than Jim Shooter’s? I guess he still writes comics occasionally.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
...so did Jack Kirby actually let Stan off the hook or not? I watched a video about Tom King's Mr.Miracle and how it's a big tribute to Jack, but they talk about the "Jake and I have nothing to reproach ourselves about!" line and Stan claimed Jack said that to him at a convention. I know Mark Evanier says it never happened, but weirdly, the video ignores (?) or is unaware of that quote despite quouting the Evanier book about Kirby.

I know Stan was full of it on a lot of things.But Mark has always been fiercely protective of Jack's legacy. And he might see this as a lapse if integrity.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Thanks! Has there ever been a downward career trajectory faster than Jim Shooter’s? I guess he still writes comics occasionally.
I guess you'd have to ask what counts as 'faster', Shooter went from writing comics at 14 to Editor in Chief at Marvel at 28. He got fired from Marvel at 37.

Then he founded Valiant at 39, built it into a popular company within a couple of years before being forced out a few years later. Then Defiant and Broadway were failures in his 40s, and he's sort of been semi-retired/at the margins ever since. He still had a solid 30-ish years of success.

He's a very long way from where he was as EiC of Marvel 35 years ago, or starting a new company 30 years ago, but in terms of downward trajectories there are a lot of people at/near his level of success who went from "being in charge of a company" to "not working" almost immediately. I believe they all worked in other industries, but he has a better post-EiC/executive career in comics than Bill Jemas, Axel Alonso, Carl Potts, Bob Budiansky, Dan Didio, to say nothing of "hot" artists/writers who more or less disappeared.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking of 90s cross promotion was there ever a crossover marketing between wrestling and comics in the 90s. It feels like both things were at their peak in the 90s (which might just be youthful bias) that having the two crossover in some way would have made sense.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

Speaking of 90s cross promotion was there ever a crossover marketing between wrestling and comics in the 90s. It feels like both things were at their peak in the 90s (which might just be youthful bias) that having the two crossover in some way would have made sense.

Valiant did WWE comics, and Chaos comics did Undertaker, Kane and Mankind comics

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Madkal posted:

Their respective peaks were both within the 1990s but several years apart; the big Comics Boom ran from the late 1980s into maybe 1993-4 before things completely collapsed.

Meanwhile the Hulkamania/Rock & Wrestling stuff of the 1980s was pretty faded by 1991, hitting its nadir in 1993-1994 when WWF was engulfed in a steroid scandal, Hulk Hogan was off doing movies, etc.

By the time wrestling 'got cool' again in 1996-1999 with the New World Order, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Goldberg, the Rock, etc. comics were struggling.

There were certainly crossovers; Marvel did a World Championship Wrestling comic in the early 1990s, though this was the era of WCW going through bookers/management like toilet paper so it wasn't a 'hot' period and the comic barely lasted a year, with a bunch of stories getting reworked because WCW kept losing wrestlers/changing course of their television show. Also Valiant had WWF comics (and Nintendo Comics!) prior to them spinning up their Gold Key derived superhero universe. But the WWF comics never really got much traction, and was also in a period where half of the people featured in them were like... The Mountie and Big Boss Man and the Nasty Boys and Earthquake and Typhoon, it was again past the Hulkamania era.

Later during the big wrestling boom of the late 1990s, Chaos Comics (of Evil Ernie/Lady Death "fame") got a licensing deal with the WWF and put out a decent number of spooky supernatural Undertaker comics, as well as some shorter series starring Stone Cold, the Rock, and Chyna.

Then a couple of other wrestlers (Kevin Nash and the Ultimate Warrior, maybe others I am forgetting) tried to make their own comics starring themselves, none of which were particularly memorable or successful outside of Warrior's unhinged all-caps editorials and the Christmas special where he tied up Santa Claus and seemed to be implying he was going to either rape or eat Santa Claus.

The WWF (and Nintendo) comics at Valiant were due to the investor behind it being an entertainment lawyer (Steven Massarsky) who did licensing for both of those companies before launching Valiant. He is also why shortly after he fired Jim Shooter, one of his big coups he planned to bring Valiant to even greater heights was to do a Shadowman/Aerosmith crossover, because Aerosmith was also one of his clients.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 26, 2021

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Raven (the wrestler) used to wear that cool Marvel Knights Inhumans shirt.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Then a couple of other wrestlers (Kevin Nash and the Ultimate Warrior, maybe others I am forgetting) tried to make their own comics starring themselves, none of which were particularly memorable or successful outside of Warrior's unhinged all-caps editorials and the Christmas special where he tied up Santa Claus and seemed to be implying he was going to either rape or eat Santa Claus.

I had completely forgotten Nash had a comic. If I could work up the nerve to go outside to places I didn't have to go, I'd trawl the dollar bins for it.

Amusing addendum is Warrior making WWE as part of his re-signing deal buy a truly staggering amount of his comic. I've heard 100K but I don't know where I'd go to confirm it.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Raven (the wrestler) used to wear that cool Marvel Knights Inhumans shirt.

Yeah, he was a fan. I think he's written the odd issue here and there of some series. I think a Spider-Man one where it looked into the guy Peter wrestled.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

...so did Jack Kirby actually let Stan off the hook or not? I watched a video about Tom King's Mr.Miracle and how it's a big tribute to Jack, but they talk about the "Jake and I have nothing to reproach ourselves about!" line and Stan claimed Jack said that to him at a convention. I know Mark Evanier says it never happened, but weirdly, the video ignores (?) or is unaware of that quote despite quouting the Evanier book about Kirby.

I know Stan was full of it on a lot of things.But Mark has always been fiercely protective of Jack's legacy. And he might see this as a lapse if integrity.

I'm no historian, especially about Jack and Stan, but from what I've heard, a lot of Jack's later day statements should be taken with a grain of salt. He (supposedly) wasn't all there in the end.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I had completely forgotten Nash had a comic. If I could work up the nerve to go outside to places I didn't have to go, I'd trawl the dollar bins for it.

Amusing addendum is Warrior making WWE as part of his re-signing deal buy a truly staggering amount of his comic. I've heard 100K but I don't know where I'd go to confirm it.

Yeah, he was a fan. I think he's written the odd issue here and there of some series. I think a Spider-Man one where it looked into the guy Peter wrestled.

Spider-Man's Tangled Web #14, co-written by Raven and Brian Azzarello! Any wrestling fans should definitely get it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Spider-Man's Tangled Web #14, co-written by Raven and Brian Azzarello! Any wrestling fans should definitely get it.

Tangled Web was a great book.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

I'm no historian, especially about Jack and Stan, but from what I've heard, a lot of Jack's later day statements should be taken with a grain of salt. He (supposedly) wasn't all there in the end.

The history is muddy because it's personal recollections decades on from people who are always going to put themselves in the best light. I hate to use the line, but the truth really is somewhere in the middle here. Kirby did get hosed by Marvel because entertainment companies gently caress everybody involved, but Kirby was also a 20 year industry veteran when the Marvel universe launched and ran his own comic company for a while. He wasn't a country bumpkin being taken in by Funky Flashman. And Lee did screw up his personal relationships a lot by being the self-aggrandizing P.T. Barnum of comic books, but it's not hard to see how vital Lee's own contributions to Marvel comics were.

And I think their relationship improved a bit for a while before the sharp turn in the early 80's. When Kirby returned to Marvel, it was Lee who made a point that Jack got to do whatever he wanted. Yeah, Devil Dinosaur and Eternals didn't last (yes, I recognize the irony of that statement when there's an Eternals movie coming out in a month or so), but Kirby was given a lot more room for artistic freedom when he went back.

I wouldn't say Kirby "let Stan off the hook", but in their final days they could at least be friendly with each other. The final word on how that relationship ended is with Kirby's death. Lee wanted to attend the funeral, but he asked for permission first because he didn't know if anyone would want him to show up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of Mark Evanier I always remember him saying the only thing he begrudged Stan was solo credit.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Is there an actual (non in-universe) reason why Excalibur was called that? It's just because of Briand and Meggan? Is it because it had an X in the word?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

radlum posted:

Is there an actual (non in-universe) reason why Excalibur was called that? It's just because of Briand and Meggan? Is it because it had an X in the word?

British and X-Men, so basically yes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Kind of similar question: in continuity who determines who qualifies as an omega level mutant?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Kind of similar question: in continuity who determines who qualifies as an omega level mutant?

IIRC Hickman's stuff has it that Xavier came up with a definition of what an Omega level mutant is.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Here is the page from House of X #1. It's a little hand wavy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If the qualification is "cannot be surpassed", why are both Quentin and Jean listed for telepath

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

site posted:

If the qualification is "cannot be surpassed", why are both Quentin and Jean listed for telepath

Uthor posted:

It's a little hand wavy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

site posted:

Iirc it's because Quentin is the "Imagine snakes eating your rear end" kind of telepath while Jean is the "Scott... I can FEEL your ANGER... this is a mental reminder to pick up Milk" kind of telepath (and also Phoenix Force user).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's because they're equals. Seeing them both listed, you're supposed to be like: "This turd has as much power as Jean, but none of the discipline. That's not good."