Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Saladman posted:

E: Wait wait, I just actually read that National Interest article. "Switzerland—that liberal beacon at the heart of Europe." What? Switzerland is and has always been a mix of extremely conservative and quite liberal policies... but it's definitely not a beacon and trendsetter.

most likely talking about liberal as in democratic, not the modern meaning. switzerland transitioned to a democracy particularly early for a non-french european state, mostly skipping the stage where the aristocracy dug their heels in and killed lots of people to retain their privileges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Saladman posted:

Well, I mean it's worked for Belgium for nearly 200 years, and they fabricated the royalty and the nation out of the blue for that one. Maybe Libya can be the Belgium of North Africa -- a terrible mess but somehow kept together.
Belgium wasn't fabricated 'out of the blue', and the Belgian king nearly broke the country at one point, so uh not sure that's a good example.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Additionally Belgium has for the last decade+ been facing regular political/constitutional/demographic crises and division.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
^^^^ That was the point. Still better than current Libya.

CSM posted:

Belgium wasn't fabricated 'out of the blue', and the Belgian king nearly broke the country at one point, so uh not sure that's a good example.

As far as I can tell, their royal family was fabricated almost out of the blue after they got independence? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_Belgium#Origins Some committee just seems to have selected some random noble. I guess Jordan was the same way, and Iraq back when they had a royal family. Probably other countries too.

Not that I really know much about it, but I was always under the impression that the Belgian royal family was even more vestigial than your average royal family.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Saladman posted:

Some committee just seems to have selected some random noble.
Some nobody from the house of House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. Famously known thanks to Shakespear's The Merry Wives of Windsor and marying those idiots from that "little state of Prussia". Totally random. This thread. :suicide:

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 8, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Toplowtech posted:

Some nobody from the house of House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. Famously known thanks to Shakespear's The Merry Wives of Windsor and marying those idiots from that "little state of Prussia". Totally random. This thread. :suicide:
Goons don't know their 19th century european history well/at all if american.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Lol, I have no idea who either of those families is. Also from that Wikipedia it sounds like he was their third choice, so even at the time it didn't seem like he was particularly high on their list of wanted national CEOs.

Oh, apparently it's one family. I have never even heard of a single one of these people or places ( the castles that belong to the family; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Saxe-Coburg_and_Gotha ). And the duchy that they ruled was at the time like half the size of modern Luxembourg with a whopping population of 257k people by 1914. And it looks like they spawned two other short-lived imported monarchies, besides marrying into the British family, all of which happened after they selected some guy to be king of Belgium.

After flipping through this Wikipedia article they seem even more irrelevant circa 1831 when they selected him than I would have figured. The first person even mentioned on their family Wikipedia page started his rule in 1826, and even their family tree only stretches back to 1750. I mean all royals are bullshit but this one seems to take the cake. Like seriously look at their family's wikipedia page, not even a single highlighted person on it predating the guy they selected to be the Belgian king.

Really though lol at your social circles if you think that is even remotely common knowledge. Maybe some British people and Belgians know.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 8, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

IIRC the fact they were a super obscure house was the whole point of selecting one of them to be the king of Belgium. Couldn't have something crazy like a republic but there's no way in hell the great powers would agree if the new king was related to the royal houses of France/Netherlands/whoever.

Apparently he was offered the position of King of Greece first but he turned it down because it seemed to precarious lol.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

putting together a shopping list of obscure german nobles to offer the crown to was standard procedure for newly-carved-out states at the time

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/ethiopia-finally-set-vote-pm-vows-1st-fair-78352736?cid=social_twitter_abcn

Ethiopia to have elections on Monday. Major opposition leaders have all been arrested and many parties are boycotting the elections.He's also banning the vote in the places you have no chance in hell of winning.

In some places the vote will be competitive: notably Addis Ababa, the capital, and parts of Amhara, the second-most populous region. But the overall result is not in doubt. For Abiy, who has said his mother prophesied that he would one day be king, it is less an election than a coronation.

About 15% of constituencies will not take part at all on June 21st. This includes all of Tigray, a northern region in the midst of a devastating civil war. Fighting between the central government’s forces and those allied with the region’s former ruling party, the Tigrayan People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), is far from over. Indeed, it may well be intensifying. Moreover, millions of people are at risk of starving to death in Tigray because forces allied to the government are not allowing enough lorries carrying aid to pass their checkpoints.

Where it is not so safe is in parts of western and southern Oromia, which are racked by armed insurgency. Fierce fighting in these places, as well as in the neighbouring region of Benishangul-Gumuz, has scotched any hope of voting there proceeding on schedule

“This time [violence] will not be about ‘My party didn’t win’,” predicts a Western diplomat. “It’s about discrediting the whole thing.” Rebels have attacked electoral posts and assassinated officials from the ruling party. In reply local security forces have unleashed terror on civilians. Many have been arrested or killed. In May police tied up and beat a teenage boy in broad daylight—and then publicly murdered him. “There’s no mercy at all now,” says Ashenafi Dhabate, an opposition supporter in the western Oromo town of Ambo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Abiy could you have at least waited to dethrone regional actors until your Renaissance Dam was finished?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pffffffhhahahah

quote:

Russians Detained in Chad Desert Say They Are Tourists

N'DJAMENA (Reuters) - A group of Russians detained by the police in a part of northern Chad where the army has been battling a rebel invasion from Libya said on Wednesday that they were tourists who had come to sightsee in the Sahara Desert.

The roughly 10 Russians were picked up last week by the police near the town of Faya Largeau because they were in a military operational zone, according to national police spokesperson Amane Issac Azina.

Azina said they had not broken any laws and had not been arrested, but rather evacuated to the capital N'Djamena for their own safety.

"We decided this time to visit the Republic of Chad because it is very interesting," one of the Russians, Alexey Kamerzanov, told Reuters at an N'Djamena hotel.

"Usually world travellers do not visit the Republic of Chad because it's not the normal route in Africa, but I checked and saw Chad is very rich in natural sites," he said.

Among the sites on their itinerary, Kamerzanov said, was the Ennedi Plateau. The plateau is part of the Ennedi Massif, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its dramatic rock formations and rock art that dates back 7,000 years.

The area where the Russians were picked up is near where Chad's army battled rebels in April and May, a conflict that led to President Idriss Deby's death during a visit to the frontlines. The military claimed victory over the rebels in May.

Russia's presence in Africa has been the subject of considerable speculation in recent months.

Russia deployed security contractors to neighbouring Central African Republic (CAR) in 2018, part of what analysts say is a strategy to rival Western militaries deployed on the continent.

Three Russians on that military mission were killed during an incident in May in which troops from CAR and Chad clashed at a border post.

In Libya, Russian mercenaries support eastern commander Khalifa Haftar's Libyan National Army, a U.N. panel of experts report has said.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

We are very interested in both natural beauty and world industry. Bridges, ports, rail lines, roads about tank width and larger, escarpments, mountain passes, you know, that sort of stuff.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I still don't know why Peter the Great thought colonizing Malagasy was feasible in any fashion.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I mean, it's a lot more plausible than tourists going to Salisbury.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

piL posted:

We are very interested in both natural beauty and world industry. Bridges, ports, rail lines, roads about tank width and larger, escarpments, mountain passes, you know, that sort of stuff.

I'm interested in these things irl and I think it could get me in trouble someday when I get caught with binoculars looking at a port in a foreign country.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Were they wearing traditional Russian green tourist outfits?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'd love to see a group photo of these tourists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/MapEthiopia/status/1408309149469925383

https://twitter.com/MapEthiopia/status/1408329569560580099

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1408089531648118786

PawParole fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 25, 2021

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

And of course there's Tigrayan music playing in the background. :allears:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Roland posted:

I'm interested in these things irl and I think it could get me in trouble someday when I get caught with binoculars looking at a port in a foreign country.

If I recall, some people who work on the Arma videogames got arrested in Cyprus because they were taking pictures of Turkish Cyprus for their military game and that seemed like a terrible excuse to the cops that captured them.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mans posted:

If I recall, some people who work on the Arma videogames got arrested in Cyprus because they were taking pictures of Turkish Cyprus for their military game and that seemed like a terrible excuse to the cops that captured them.

Not even Cyprus, Lemnos.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Ethiopian Election Results are expected to be announced before the 28th, almost a week after voting. Abiy is expected to dominate

USA and EU are saying election was not credible. AU disagrees.

The WHO lead by Tigrayan physician Ghebreyesus is accusing The Ethiopian Armyof hampering medical aid to Tigray.

https://twitter.com/Yonigussie/stat...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Oromo ethno-nationalist parties boycotted the election, probably a mistake, and The Ethiopian Army cracked down on them. Now, Oromo Liberation Army are alleging Eritrean troops are in Oromia. It might be because of degraded Ethiopian Army capacity from Tigray war. The economy is in freefall as prominent economist Steve Hanke reports

https://twitter.com/steve_hanke/sta...%5Es1_&ref_url=

We already know what to expect in the election (Abiy Winning)

The Ethiopian Army is engaged in a war in Tigray and Oromia, and Tigray elections are indefinitely cancelled. The question is does Abiy need Eritrean troops to suppress Oromia rebels

Amhara news network EBC reporting on election.

AU observers start sanctifying the election around 12:00 mark. NEBE chairwoman Midkesa speaks after 21:00 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCPjcb9tApg

elections are also cancelled in Harari and Somali regions, and everywhere else Abiy has a zero chance of winning or rigging.

https://twitter.com/addisstandard/s...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

PawParole posted:

The Ethiopian Army is engaged in a war in Tigray and Oromia, and Tigray elections are indefinitely cancelled. The question is does Abiy need Eritrean troops to suppress Oromia rebels

Because the Ethiopians aren't doing too well.

https://twitter.com/SeifGebre/status/1409564994170069002

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well that escalated quickly

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Morrow posted:

Because the Ethiopians aren't doing too well.

https://twitter.com/SeifGebre/status/1409564994170069002

https://apnews.com/article/ethiopia...aign=SocialFlow

Ethiopia declares immediate, unilateral cease-fire in Tigray

Abiy in an interview aired last week alarmed observers by recalling that aid to Tigray during Ethiopia’s devastating 1980s famine had bolstered the Tigray fighters who eventually overthrew the ruling regime. Such a thing will “never happen” now, he said.

Monday’s cease-fire declaration signaled a new approach, at least for a while.

The cease-fire “will enable farmers to till their land, aid groups to operate without any military movement around and engage with remnants (of Tigray’s former ruling party) who seek peace,” Ethiopia’s statement said, adding that efforts to bring Tigray’s former leaders “to justice” continue.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Ah, the last thing I'd heard was that pro-government troops were decisively winning and that the remnants of the Tigray rebel forces were being ruthlessly hunted down.

I thought it was all going suspiciously smoothly for the government.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/SABCNews/status/1409632863687876609?s=19

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

If that monarchy fucks off forever that would be grand. That monarchy, as the vast majority of other, did seem to be a giant untenable poo poo show.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Ah, the last thing I'd heard was that pro-government troops were decisively winning and that the remnants of the Tigray rebel forces were being ruthlessly hunted down.

I thought it was all going suspiciously smoothly for the government.

The ENDF and various militia still control large swaths of what used to be Tigray. The TPLF might not be able to take back Welkait (i.e. losing access to Sudan) and potentially also the area further south near Alamata/Korem. Maybe it could all collapse, but if it holds roughly like it is now (but with TPLF taking back major Tigrayan population centers like Axum, Mekelle, Adigrat, Shire) and the TPLF agrees to the ceasefire that would still be a 'win' for Abiy. Also the TPLF still has to get the Eritreans out, who seem to be more entrenched and willing to steal things and murder everyone.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/EswatiniGovern1/status/1409790156853366785?s=19

Official denial the king has fled - chatter the army is being called in

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed
For some context.

swazimedia.blogspot.com posted:

Monday, 28 June 2021
Swaziland democracy protests continue despite ban and police violence

Pro-democracy protests continued across Swaziland (eSwatini) despite a ban on marching imposed by the kingdom’s absolute monarch.

Marches took place in at least 10 locations – mainly in rural areas.

Police fired teargas and live ammunition in an attempt to disperse protestors. There were many injuries, including to two journalists.

Swaziland is ruled by King Mswati III as an absolute monarch. Political parties are banned from taking part in elections and the King chooses the Prime Minister and government cabinet ministers as well as top judges and civil servants. Groups advocating for democracy are outlawed under the Suppression of Terrorism Act.

Campaigners who marched on Friday (25 June 2021) and Saturday called for wholesale political reforms and want to elect their own prime minister.

Acting Prime Minister Themba Masuku on behalf of the King had declared marches to deliver petitions illegal and the National Commissioner of Police William Dlamini warned police would show ‘zero tolerance’ and ‘unleash the full might of the law’ against anyone defying the ban.

The Swaziland Solidarity Network (SSN), a prodemocracy group banned in the kingdom, reported, ‘The most violent protests occurred at Siphofaneni where police once again retreated immediately after infuriating the local population. In the aftermath of that clash the road passing though the town was completely closed as trucks were burnt. This was eerily similar to what occurred at Msunduza the previous day.’

Wonder Dlamini, a journalist for the eSwatini Observer, a newspaper in effect owned by the King, was shot with a teargas cannister at close range at Lugongolweni.

Andile Langwenya, a reporter for the online publication Independent News, eSwatini, was hospitalised after being tear-gassed by police at Msunduza. Sifiso Sibandze, Independent News Editor, said, ‘Police should stop employing hooliganism tactics when doing their job.’

At Msunduza, the Observer reported, ‘Teargas canisters were also shot in all directions and to nearby residential places and in the absence of the Red Cross volunteers, journalists were forced to assist some children who were overwhelmed by the teargas by whisking them to safety.’

The Observer also reported, ‘The protests that broke out across the country seemingly fuelled an ongoing conversation about police brutality and political reforms in the country. Previous protest marches had been calm and the protesters spoke of their frustration over being led by an unelected prime minister among a litany of many grievances.

‘The issue of the elected PM had been foremost, with other grievances becoming only ancillary. The manner in which the protests quickly escalated into a national occurrence reflected long standing frustrations and rage by communities.’
here is a link with sources etc.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/MapEthiopia/status/1409887059800739841

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

PawParole posted:

USA and EU are saying election was not credible.
Do you have a source for this? I've seen the State Dept saying that the process was not free and fair for all Ethiopians, and expressing "grave concerns" in the run-up to the election, but I haven't seen them saying outright that the election itself was not credible.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/addisstandard/status/1409904132748677124

https://twitter.com/addisstandard/status/1409904652125192194

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Has the international community or AU done anything about the civil war in Ethiopia? Abiy seems to be facing basically no consequences.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Has the international community or AU done anything about the civil war in Ethiopia? Abiy seems to be facing basically no consequences.

Hasn't Ethiopia contributed most of the troops to the AU for over a decade now? I doubt they'd do much. And I think the Eritrean troops present muddles the "civil war" designation somewhat.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

the AU was founded by Ethiopia and is basically an Ethiopian puppet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

map of tigray

Only registered members can see post attachments!