Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

BraveUlysses posted:

whats the likely culprit of my front shimano hydraulic brake having some shudder?

i dropped some new pads in to see if that helps and it did at first but still getting shudder at medium speed when i engage the brakes between 20-60% of the brake lever engagement

Wild unqualified guess:

Have you checked your fork and headset? What you are describing is exactly what happens to me when I forget to lock out my MTB fork (with the same brakes) and I can’t imagine that would be good on a road bike fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

whats the likely culprit of my front shimano hydraulic brake having some shudder?
Does your headset have play or do your forks flex? Maybe not the cause, but makes it more noticeable.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it does have a carbon fork but i will try re-tightening the headset

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I keep coming back to the idea of building up an ultralight weight weenie inspired carbon single speed, can someone dissuade me

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I keep coming back to the idea of building up an ultralight weight weenie inspired carbon single speed, can someone dissuade me
Do it, but make it a rigid mountain bike instead.

This is the most fun bike I've ridden (on anything that isn't flat) and you could do much better spending weight weenie money:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 25, 2021

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Yesterday the flat, circular plastic thing that sits between the cassette and the axle broke where the clips hold on to the spokes. I ended up just snapping the whole thing off and throwing it away. Is it just there to keep chain grease from getting on the axle or something? Do I need a new one? I don't think I've seen them on other bikes.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

poemdexter posted:

Yesterday the flat, circular plastic thing that sits between the cassette and the axle broke where the clips hold on to the spokes. I ended up just snapping the whole thing off and throwing it away. Is it just there to keep chain grease from getting on the axle or something? Do I need a new one? I don't think I've seen them on other bikes.

It’s derisively called a “dork disk” and it’s out there to keep people from putting the chain into the spokes when their rear derailleur isn’t adjusted right. It’s one of those things like wheel reflectors that should be removed from a bike ASAP. Kind of like those plastic stickers that come on new electric appliances that people never remove

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Ropes4u posted:

A friend ask if I wanted this old Schwinn varsity, the answer is yes right?

Never say no to a free bike. Best case you get something cool. Worst case you throw it in the dumpster yourself. Slight chance you'll do something odd with it like turn it into an art piece or strap a plastic Halloween skelly to it and throw it in a lake sparking off a minor boost in local scuba tourism because those folks are sometimes desperate for things to look at underwater.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

tylertfb posted:

It’s derisively called a “dork disk” and it’s out there to keep people from putting the chain into the spokes when their rear derailleur isn’t adjusted right. It’s one of those things like wheel reflectors that should be removed from a bike ASAP. Kind of like those plastic stickers that come on new electric appliances that people never remove

I figured it was something like that. No wonder no one wants to talk to me at the group rides!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Do it, but don't put pressure on yourself. Collect the parts organically over time.
Keep it rim brake so you have lighter, cheaper, less desirable parts to work with.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

poemdexter posted:

Congrats on your graduation to the cool club :coal:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

i dropped some new pads in to see if that helps and it did at first but still getting shudder at medium speed when i engage the brakes between 20-60% of the brake lever engagement

Probably headset, but it could also be caliper alignment.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Do it, but don't put pressure on yourself. Collect the parts organically over time.
Keep it rim brake so you have lighter, cheaper, less desirable parts to work with.

I knew I could count on my friends to steer me right.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Skarsnik posted:

Congrats on your graduation to the cool club :coal:

I just did a very uphill 20 mile ride against the wind and now I’m chillin in the pool like a very cool dude.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

poemdexter posted:

I just did a very uphill 20 mile ride against the wind and now I’m chillin in the pool like a very cool dude.

:hellyeah:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

kimbo305 posted:

What do the wheels sound like? Deep rim whoosh factor is important.

e: the 50s sold out since you bought them, which always makes it feel slightly cooler of a deal.

Took a short ride after work-- 8 or 9 miles.

They make a cool whooshing sound when going fast. I am mostly not fast, but when I am, they sound cool.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

What colour would it be?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

What colour would it be?

I was thinking hot pink with black accents.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

tylertfb posted:

You can pry my wheel reflectors from my cold dead, night riding hands (seriously, I do multiple night rides a week, and gently caress you I want to be seen).

Make sure you send your dork discs to Development though.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

iospace posted:

:argh:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I was thinking hot pink with black accents.

Strong, you know what to do.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm going camping and I'm bringing more boats than bicycles and I'm not OK with this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

You can pry my wheel reflectors from my cold dead, night riding hands (seriously, I do multiple night rides a week, and gently caress you I want to be seen).

I have reflex sidewalls and some thin reflex tubes you can clip on your spokes that that gets you 100% visibility without the incessant creaking and breaking.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just get that pigs huge balls sized saddle bag I have on my Journeyman it has a reflective coating and I'm pretty sure you can see it from orbit when someone's headlights hit it.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Had a very lovely ride this morning. Expected to have a 40ish mile ride that would get the heart rate up.

However, my friend's wife came along on her e-bike, which was ostensibly bought so she could try and keep up, she also brought a friend.

She had battery anxiety the whole time and was worried and wanted to chat. So we had a 20 mile ride at 10 mph.

Normally that's fine if that's what you're expecting to do, a slow leisurely ride with friends, grabbing coffee and breakfast along the way. However, that's not what I expected at all - kind of salty about it (possibly because I'm not literally salty from sweat).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Sab0921 posted:

Had a very lovely ride this morning. Expected to have a 40ish mile ride that would get the heart rate up.

However, my friend's wife came along on her e-bike, which was ostensibly bought so she could try and keep up, she also brought a friend.

She had battery anxiety the whole time and was worried and wanted to chat. So we had a 20 mile ride at 10 mph.

Normally that's fine if that's what you're expecting to do, a slow leisurely ride with friends, grabbing coffee and breakfast along the way. However, that's not what I expected at all - kind of salty about it (possibly because I'm not literally salty from sweat).

If you’ve got the time, go for another ride and go hard so you feel like you got the work you wanted in.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sab0921 posted:

Wtf is battery anxiety? Like she thought the battery would die so she didn’t want to push it?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

nwin posted:

Wtf is battery anxiety? Like she thought the battery would die so she didn’t want to push it?

It’s super common the first few ebike rides out.

The manufacturers will absolutely not give you the real range because so much of it depends on hills and rider weight, so your first long ride (and 20 miles is a long ride if not the limit for many ebikes) is a mixture of “wheeee I can eat these hills” and “oh god oh god did I use too much battery and will I make it home.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I'm going for my first 200k tomorrow, solo. I've done several >100km rides, the longest being ~160 - but the longest I've ridden solo is ~100 km (and the 160 km ride was at a snail's pace). Is there anything new I should know, prepare for, etc?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Couple years ago i did the going to the sun road in glacier national park before it opened to cars and there were a ton of casuals on e-bikes (along with many enthusiast cyclists)

The people on e-bikes is not a problem, i'm stoked that people are on two wheels and getting out on bikes at all. If an e-bike is what it takes to get you on a bike then great! But most of them had to give up like half way or so up the climb (~17 miles 3400ft) because their batteries died and there's no way they were going to human power those 50+ pound bikes the rest of the way.

E-bikes seem great for commuting around town, but a lot less great for even modest recreational riding.

ps: it's an amazing ride I highly recommend it

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
^ I traveled all the to Montana to ride that road once and when I got there it was on fire :|

Lex Neville posted:

I'm going for my first 200k tomorrow, solo. I've done several >100km rides, the longest being ~160 - but the longest I've ridden solo is ~100 km (and the 160 km ride was at a snail's pace). Is there anything new I should know, prepare for, etc?

Keep eating keep pedaling.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

^ I traveled all the to Montana to ride that road once and when I got there it was on fire :|

oof devastating

and sadly more and more common :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I live in Derbyshire and this is my route to the shops (which are the flat bit at the top because I left strava running). My ebikes do not do the 50-80miles advertised lol

Also OP, it’s super uncomfortable to go above 15mph if you are sat on the bike bolt upright, so if that’s her riding position then a 10mph average may be the norm.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Guinness posted:

E-bikes seem great for commuting around town, but a lot less great for even modest recreational riding.
It's highly dependent on how you ride them, and how much of a feel you have for what destroys your range.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

nwin posted:

It's this, with the worry that if the battery dies she has a 55 lb bike to get home.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sab0921 posted:

It's this, with the worry that if the battery dies she has a 55 lb bike to get home.

Ah ok.

TIL that ebikes are heavy and have poo poo range.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

If you’ve got the time, go for another ride and go hard so you feel like you got the work you wanted in.

If only - I have two little kids. Very intense negotiations for any blocks of time I can get on the bike!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lex Neville posted:

I assume you’re fueling ok if you’re doing 160km+ before but yeah just keep in front of your hydration and nutrition. Resist the urge to go out too hot.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

nwin posted:

Ah ok.

I am a little bit intrigued by the more cycling enthusiast-oriented e-bikes that are just high end road/gravel bikes with a little e-assist in them, something like the Cannondale Synapse Neo that assumes you'll be contributing a lot of human power

But I'm not $5000 intrigued.

Also that is definitely not what most people on e-bikes are riding. They're more often on something like the RadPower RadRover which weighs 69 pounds and is only advertised up to 45 miles of range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

nwin posted:

There are exceptions to both: Specialized has a surprisingly light offering, for example, and there's bikes with the option of adding on a second battery to double your range if you really want to. But, like mentioned above, where they really shine is the short commutes/errands/joyrides around town—so a completely different category of cycling from 40-plus-mile workouts. Just a different niche.

The first post should really be updated to point at the ebike thread. Ebikes have been exploding in popularity in the last few years, doing a lot to get more cyclists from all walks of life on our roads and trails, so deserve a little more than a half-joking summary dismissal.