Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Zurtilik posted:

My worst mistake was leaving the safe confines of BYOB.

Quit trying to get half the forum shipped off to elsewhere, you weirdos.

That's their opinion.

I asked for opinions in this thread.

They shared them, like you are sharing yours.

Just because someone says "You should do this, I think it would be better" does not magically make that thing happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
That's true. I see it a lot though and I'm a reactionary dumby.

I'm sorry for my aggro posting.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I definitely don't want D&D closed, if that happened a lot of them would start posting here, and it's really frustrating arguing (which is good) with people who treat it like debate club (bad). I'm very happy they have their own forum to do that sort of thing in, and I suspect most of them are happy to have all us "a debate's best form is a screaming fight in a bar at 2am between Marxists" contained in our own

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
glenn greenwald is boring as gently caress and my eyes roll back into my head every time he comes up

he isnt a leftist and discussion of him isnt about leftist politics, but about getting angry at liberals on twitter, so i say move the thread to some other forum

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

cumshitter posted:

glenn greenwald is boring as gently caress and my eyes roll back into my head every time he comes up

he isnt a leftist and discussion of him isnt about leftist politics, but about getting angry at liberals on twitter, so i say move the thread to some other forum

Sloppily mashing the Glenn thread and the Succ Zone together and then staring back in shock as QCS and CSPAM are aflame.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a Loving Dog posted:

the glenn thread has more in depth discussion on many issues than any other thread on this subforum besides maybe the marxism one. your view is wrong

Yeah it's a pretty good thread where people actually disagree with each other, with Glenn as the catalyst. Weird how it worked out but it forces people to explain themselves, or just try some weakass dunk on the journalist they hate because they're on twitter too much.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
my opinion is that each of the more generalized forums on this site develop their own culture and that within those forums a wider latitude is appropriate for what is allowed in those forums. CSPAM has plenty of space on its front page for threads which harbor deep discussion and long effort posting, and it also has room for a CSPAM-specific “chat” thread and other weird things that could never live anywhere else.

that might be in part because this place began its life as a sort of exclusion-zone for specific kinds of discussion or political thought and those who think those thoughts or want to talk about them.

idk I don’t see what all the fuss is about this place, it’s weird relationship with some vocal people on the rest of this site, or some people who seem very angry about the other posts which share space here with their favorite threads.

if you don’t like it, no one is making you read it. so just… don’t?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cumshitter posted:

He was a big factor in releasing Lula who was the leftist president of Brazil. How is that not leftist politics? Or do the brown people in Latin/South America not matter?

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I’m in favor of more forums, not less. Reopen LF if you feel there needs to be a medium between cspam and DnD

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

skooma512 posted:

See, I don’t understand why there’s always someone demanding to atomize communities and posters into more and more specific sub forums. Leftists need to go to the leftist sub forum, ok now some are getting too rowdy in their threads so leftist poo poo posting needs to happen in C-SPAM-> Shitposting now, ok now some of that isn’t what I want to read anymore so now it needs to be C-SPAM-> Shitposting -> Double Shitposting

this is why you make the big thread subforum in c-spam. so you come in the door. boom its little bitch thread land. then you click another button to go to big rear end thread land. but as your mouse is moving over whats this, oh this thread looks interesting. boom. engagement. its loving genius, all postives with no negatives. your welcome.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
one thing I wanted to bring up is moderation standards.

at one point early in cspam history, it was decided saying retard was bad and would be probated. it was also decided, thanks to many qcs threads, that calling for death or death threats was bad and was going to get SA shut down.

Flavius stepped on some rakes of his own but he was also trying to enforce these things and getting push back. some clarification around these rules might be in order.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

He was a big factor in releasing Lula who was the leftist president of Brazil. How is that not leftist politics? Or do the brown people in Latin/South America not matter?

is he still releasing lula? is this like an ongoing process?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I like the glenn thread :)

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Hello admins

I've been thinking about if and what I wanted to post in this thread because I haven't been as active on SA in general since 2014, but I have always lurked CSPAM on and off in that time.

I posted a lot on LF and LF really helped me into seeing the world in a way I never thought of before. Especially the 'what's the worst company' thread and the prison thread were really eye-opening.

I always felt that CSPAM was supposed to be the same way for Berniebros the way LF was for Obamaposters like me back in the day, and I'm really happy the space is there because as someone else said it a few pages back, it's so hard to have a grounded but still light hearted dicussion about politics, even within the same ideology. It's also a cool breather for people like me who do real life organizing to have people in other countries say the same stuff we think and have the same discussions we have and learn from eachother. I think it's safe to say that if C-SPAM wasn't there, I would have no more reason apart from international football tournaments to post on SA

I usually check the megathreads (pics/funny stuff/guillotine/marxism/musk/cyberpunk) and I never had any bad vibes from them. I can see how the chat thread could be insular (I was a regular in TRP's chat thread PWM back when that was a thing) but I feel like unless they start shooting poo poo about people not in the thread, that's all good to me.

I'm not all up to speed about mod/admin <> CSPAM drama but I think it's good that the admins are doing the effort to come listen to us. I'm used to docevil thinking politics FYADlites were weird and radium making a whole code to make LF posters look like lepers

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
maybe we all need a reminder that politics aren't like cooties and by reading about and talking about and virtually being around things that aren't explicitly leftist you aren't going to get infected.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

I don't think there are any major issues with CSPAM that need to be resolved. It's the forum for shitposting about politics and current events and that's fine. If people don't like the posting in a particular thread, they can start their own (which mods should leave alone and not gas) and see if other people want to post there. If there are abusive or harmful posts, those should be reported for a mod to deal with or discussed with mods in PMs.

Please just let people shitpost in peace instead of indulging the few who have some weird grudge to settle or enjoy trolling here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's a place where people who love flame wars can come interact and build community with people who don't like the democrat party, and it owns.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I made a thread in TECH for brainstorming ways to get posters into more different threads. You know, without prohibiting the most popular threads on the forums and driving users off by administrative fiat

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3971762

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Going 5 subforums in to find the concentrated shitposting thread that's two bots posting 'beefer' and 'tormp' back and forth...

I don't necessarily have an issue with CSPAM subforums though, actually. But how to split them and does doing so achieve the results people want? I mean even in this thread we have people disagreeing about which threads are 'quality' or 'sincere' or what not.

Like I'm sure the COVID19 people think they're thread is a good, serious non-chat thread. But there are obviously a number of other CSPAM posters that think its just as much of a heap as the Trump thread.

If you go for something like "effort post" v. "casual post" subforums I worry were just going to recreate D and D but yet that seems like the easier division.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Glenn is a moron but so is Trump, but I still supported the Trump thread because it wasn't really what it said on the tin. I don't want the Glenn thread closed and I am content to do battle with its posters one on one without calling for their home to be pulled down much like I think it was stupid that the Trump thread was forced to be renamed for no reason

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Going 5 subforums in to find the concentrated shitposting thread that's two bots posting 'beefer' and 'tormp' back and forth...

I don't necessarily have an issue with CSPAM subforums though, actually. But how to split them and does doing so achieve the results people want? I mean even in this thread we have people disagreeing about which threads are 'quality' or 'sincere' or what not.

Like I'm sure the COVID19 people think they're thread is a good, serious non-chat thread. But there are obviously a number of other CSPAM posters that think its just as much of a heap as the Trump thread.

If you go for something like "effort post" v. "casual post" subforums I worry were just going to recreate D and D but yet that seems like the easier division.

I don't think it'd be split along chat vs whatever lines. Just old/established vs spontaneous/short. It's just a solution to bookmarks/crews. The idea is how do you promote engagement against threads that already have their groups established. Not necessarily effort vs no effort. Would such a structure actually do anything? Nobody knows...

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
CSPAM to be kept open on the condition any misspelling of "Trump" triggers an autoban

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

I don't think it'd be split along chat vs whatever lines. Just old/established vs spontaneous/short. It's just a solution to bookmarks/crews. The idea is how do you promote engagement against threads that already have their groups established. Not necessarily effort vs no effort. Would such a structure actually do anything? Nobody knows...

Megathreads are a boon for small threads because you can post "hey I started a thread for X, come post here if you're interested" and you get like 600 people seeing it instead of just hoping interested people stumble across it before it gets knocked off page 1

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!
there seems to be a misunderstanding where "lots of words" and "good posting" are being conflated. simply put, the trump/chat thread isnt funny and should be humanely relocated to a place for unfunny threads, like the gas chamber or a cave deep underground

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Athanatos posted:

Every report about CSPAM is not from some outsider who doesn't contribute here, or from people trying to tear this place down. Yesterday there were 30 some reports for CSPAM. All of them but 5 are from people who when I look at their post history, are CSPAM posters. And the other ones are from what look like lurkers (probably read and dont post? Just post lurkers! You paid your 10 dollars, throw some words in a post) or others.

I'll also say it again, just for anyone just checking in:

I'm not running this thread to make big sweeping changes. Hell, I'm not running this thread to make any changes if nothing is needed. I just want to leave you all with better knowledge of what I am about, and learn some poo poo myself. My hope is I come away with a better way of providing you mods that can help make and keep the forum readable and enjoyable.

I hope that the cspam mods mostly leave the place alone and only intervene to deal with serious issues of harassment, abuse, violence, etc. without cracking down on people's viewpoints or doing gimmick sixers. CSPAM is best when it's just a chill place to shitpost about politics and current events for people who don't want to cite their sources or write whole paragraphs or would like to just post a tweet or meme with "lol" as the rest of the post content. And having chat thread where you can do all that and also talk about your breakfast is fun as well. I get that there are people who don't like that and there are plenty of other places for them to post and read threads.

I'm entirely sympathetic to the issue of getting a deluge of reports every day, most of which are for non-issues. I used to mod D&D and we'd get ~50 reports a day almost all of which were about infighting in the UKMT and AusPol threads with the report reason as just "trolling". As a mod, you think, "well, I should do something about this, right?" but really what you should do is just go and post "misc" in all those reports and leave it alone, and maybe PM the guy who keeps submitting them to tell him to chill out. I couldn't figure out how to solve that problem and it's a completely thankless task I didn't want to spend time doing any more, so I don't.

I hope you're able to find people willing to put up with it who also aren't jerks.

It would be nice if we didn't have a monthly drama thread here or in QCS about The State of CSPAM. Thanks for taking our feedback.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the chat/trump thread is fine it just needs to be regarded as a containment zone rather than the heart of cspam

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Megathreads are a boon for small threads because you can post "hey I started a thread for X, come post here if you're interested" and you get like 600 people seeing it instead of just hoping interested people stumble across it before it gets knocked off page 1

You would still be able to do this if they were if big thread land was the cspam subforum

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

croup coughfield posted:

there seems to be a misunderstanding where "lots of words" and "good posting" are being conflated. simply put, the trump/chat thread isnt funny and should be humanely relocated to a place for unfunny threads, like the gas chamber or a cave deep underground

What would changing it's location do?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

When someone reports a post, it should be appended to the bottom of the post who reported it and the reason they put in.

For legit reports, it's a non-issue. Everyone but the person in the wrong will look at it and agree.

If you wanna go cry to teacher because someone was mean to you or your buds, you should be prepared for everyone to see you do it.

Bet that'd cut down on the number of bullshit reports pretty quick.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Carving up the forum into one for big and small threads feels like changing something just to change it. Strictly categorizing threads does not seem very c-spam. The best answer might be making the button to sort by thread creation time more prominent.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

You would still be able to do this if they were if big thread land was the cspam subforum

Then there isn't any need to needlessly reorganize everything in the first place

the simple fact is that every online space like us has spent decades trying to avoid megathreads forming and yet they always do. People want them regardless of if it annoys some people. If you create a space with strict bans on anything too active you've created a doomed space

The notion that the chat thread should be moved for no actual reason than 2 posters in a single thread don't like it is frankly lunatic

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Carving up the forum into one for big and small threads feels like changing something just to change it. Strictly categorizing threads does not seem very c-spam. The best answer might be making the button to sort by thread creation time more prominent.

I think this is what was agreed on some pages back and I agree

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the chat/trump thread is fine it just needs to be regarded as a containment zone rather than the heart of cspam

if its a containment zone, all the more reason to move it to the containment forum

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Azathoth posted:

When someone reports a post, it should be appended to the bottom of the post who reported it and the reason they put in.

For legit reports, it's a non-issue. Everyone but the person in the wrong will look at it and agree.

If you wanna go cry to teacher because someone was mean to you or your buds, you should be prepared for everyone to see you do it.

Bet that'd cut down on the number of bullshit reports pretty quick.

I like this idea because it will give rise to the comedy report option but I dislike it because it will give rise to the comedy report option and modding already doesn’t pay, so this seems like it would just gunk up the works.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

croup coughfield posted:

if its a containment zone, all the more reason to move it to the containment forum

every thread is a containment zone to someone who doesn't like it for any reason at all

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
these unfunyn misspellings must end. mods? do something.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Glenn Feedbackwald

gradenko_2000 posted:

Glenn Balkanwald

gradenko_2000 posted:

Grass Greenwald

what's that? it's all performative and no one cares?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

there are plenty of insular threads in this sub that are essentially their own containment zones. should they all be moved?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Epic High Five posted:

Then there isn't any need to needlessly reorganize everything in the first place

the simple fact is that every online space like us has spent decades trying to avoid megathreads forming and yet they always do. People want them regardless of if it annoys some people. If you create a space with strict bans on anything too active you've created a doomed space

The notion that the chat thread should be moved for no actual reason than 2 posters in a single thread don't like it is frankly lunatic

I think this is what was agreed on some pages back and I agree

If you think "getting rid of megathreads will let other threads have more space a thrive" I can see that argument. I've made it myself for more often rebooting megathreads.

Saying "It's bad, move it away from my eyes so I don't see the title in the thread list" seems pointless.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!

Athanatos posted:

What would changing it's location do?

my hope - however naive and optimistic - is that the more egregiously unfunny idiots will be less likely to post in the rest of cspam, because its more distant and their brain parasites reduce fine motor control so its harder to make that many clicks. i used to enjoy cspam quite a bit some years ago, and its been disappointing to see what threads like the trump thread turned it into

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

croup coughfield posted:

my hope - however naive and optimistic - is that the more egregiously unfunny idiots will be less likely to post in the rest of cspam, because its more distant and their brain parasites reduce fine motor control so its harder to make that many clicks. i used to enjoy cspam quite a bit some years ago, and its been disappointing to see what threads like the trump thread turned it into

this is nostalgia that never existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Red Baron posted:

I like this idea because it will give rise to the comedy report option but I dislike it because it will give rise to the comedy report option and modding already doesn’t pay, so this seems like it would just gunk up the works.

Seems like the kind of behavior you can discourage by handing out punishments for that too. If you think a comedy report is worth a day or a week probe, go for it, but if you wanna skate on it, it better be pretty drat funny.