Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I know. :sigh: Our house is about 200 - 250 feet away from our coop and I can hear the girls inside if it's quiet enough. The closest neighbor is about 400 feet away I'd say? Someone not too far away has a rooster. I can hear it faintly crowing in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Tiny Man is more quiet than his predecessor, (a medium-small rooster named Little Man) but I imagine next door neighbors would still be annoyed if bird sounds bother them. That being said, we got rid of Little Man because it felt like he was loud enough to be a nuisance to the whole neighborhood, where Tiny Man isn't much louder than background noise once you get a couple houses away (who we've confirmed he's okay with). It could be worth hearing them in person if you have a local breeder and the means to see them.

(We rehomed Little Man with his breeder, and now he's one of their pet chickens)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Source4Leko posted:

We had a chicken suddenly die overnight, my wife found her face down in the run this morning. Does anyone have any experience with contacting your local ag extension office about getting an autopsy done? Here in Illinois I can't find any info that they do that in in department of agriculture website. Or should we not worry about just one bird and wait to see if we lose any more? We have 19 more. It does not seem to be a predator at all.

Edit: I think I got audio from one of our cameras of her dying. Sounds like a squak and then total silence. Seems to fit the descriptions I've read of chickens falling over dead from heart attacks. Could also explain why she was the first one out of the coop this am.

Call your state vet lab, they are usually the ones that do that sort of thing. I had a chicken and a rabbit necropsied last year at mine.

You can also do a necropsy yourself, I think YouTube has some instructional videos.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Source4Loko, ISU in Normal might have a livestock vet center, they have a huge ag school complete with breeding programs on their laboratory farm.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thats a good idea. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks!

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Not as cute as Tiny Man but Yngwie is a good rooster. He's about 14 weeks now.

Also these 2 assholes (are good chickens)

And the legend Bill Frissel

Luna fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 24, 2021

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Luna posted:

Not as cute as Tiny Man but Yngwie is a good rooster. He's about 14 weeks now.

Also these 2 assholes (are good chickens)

And the legend Bill Frissel

what sweeties, I always love chickens with pants

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have a little guy with pants too. He was in the group of teenage rooster chicks I got from the feed store. He’s been pretty sickly the last few weeks. Since he’s obviously a decorative chicken I figured he might be re-home-able so he had the privilege of a vet visit. No definitive answer about what’s wrong but he’s on some antibiotics and we will see if he improves. Here he is next to our Splash Jersey Giant “rooster”. (There’s like 4 hens in the group of 10, LOL)

Blanche is the only golden girl still with her 5 week old chicks.

The other chicks have decided they can fit through the garden fence and have been naughty since their moms don’t monitor them anymore.

I risked my life to get this video. Hear that noise at the end? That’s the sound of my imminent doom. She bit my hand again and gave me quite a pinch! I think her babies will end up pretty wild.
https://youtu.be/ng5DewQhEBI

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Joburg posted:

I have a little guy with pants too. He was in the group of teenage rooster chicks I got from the feed store. He’s been pretty sickly the last few weeks. Since he’s obviously a decorative chicken I figured he might be re-home-able so he had the privilege of a vet visit. No definitive answer about what’s wrong but he’s on some antibiotics and we will see if he improves. Here he is next to our Splash Jersey Giant “rooster”. (There’s like 4 hens in the group of 10, LOL)
oh he's very cute! mostly australorp by the look of him, so he will probably have a lovely personality too. i hope he's feeling better soon.

i'm glad you ended up with some hens, you deserved it as karma for taking in that poor little group of misfits.

here's the gang! i had a eucalyptus branch in my yard for non-quail-related reasons and they loved it, so i'm going to try to find them another one

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

perepelki posted:

oh he's very cute! mostly australorp by the look of him, so he will probably have a lovely personality too. i hope he's feeling better soon.

i'm glad you ended up with some hens, you deserved it as karma for taking in that poor little group of misfits.

here's the gang! i had a eucalyptus branch in my yard for non-quail-related reasons and they loved it, so i'm going to try to find them another one

Oh my sweet little baby Jesus I want to write stories about their adventures. :kimchi:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

perepelki posted:

A soothing balm for the panic I have had tonight in my life. Thank you.

Of course all the little roosters have been a balm, too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Those are the fattest quail I've ever seen

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Reservoir Dogs 'walk' vibe from this photo.

edit:
Reservoir Borbs 'walk' vibe from this photo.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 25, 2021

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Joburg posted:

The other chicks have decided they can fit through the garden fence and have been naughty since their moms don’t monitor them anymore.

Not even the least bit sorry

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

spookygonk posted:

edit:
Reservoir Borbs 'walk' vibe from this photo.

:hai:

Enfys posted:

Not even the least bit sorry

it's the cheeky "who, Me?" head tilt that gets me.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Had my first breakfast that was entirely homegrown eggs this morning! :confuoot:

After the first perfect double yolk one, the girls laid a few miscarriages(?) that were just big gloopy messes without shells, and then squabbled over them and ate them. :gonk:

Reportedly this is all normal for young birds, so I wasn't worried. They're only a little over 4 months old.

But then they got back on track and have given three perfect ones in a row. They're brown and a little smaller than "large" grocery store eggs, and their shells are super thick to the point where you have to use quite a bit more force to crack them than you're used to.

The only thing that's weird is that I've read that they generally only lay "within six hours of sunrise", but my girls apparently didn't get the memo. They've laid several in the evening.

The funny thing is they sing an unmistakable egg song when one of them has laid an egg, but it's often not the one doing the laying that's doing the singing. Reminds me of the old Looney Tunes. Prissy laid an egg.

https://youtu.be/FpCB4BnG6yE

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 25, 2021

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

One day I would like some backyard birds to go with my yard.

For now, here are the wild quail who will now sing bippity songs about your orbs, Perepelki.

They are very good at heeding warnings

And hiding

Pretty close to the very center

Good watchbird

Much love to all of the birds and their people here.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Chaosfeather posted:

One day I would like some backyard birds to go with my yard.

For now, here are the wild quail who will now sing bippity songs about your orbs, Perepelki.

Much love to all of the birds and their people here.

I have always liked those silly little head feathers, I think it looks like something from a Dr. Seuss book.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

thank you friends, it is lovely to know the quail are held in high regard :unsmith: they deserve it! all they do is pobble around and beep and be perfect spheres, and that's all i can possibly ask of them.

Chaosfeather posted:

Good watchbird

i love these proud and noble folk

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
There’s a strong possibility we are moving from Wyoming to Georgia (state) in the next few months.

Anyone have fluffy Orpingtons in a hot climate? Has anyone gone through the process of getting vet inspections and moving chickens across state lines?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Joburg posted:

There’s a strong possibility we are moving from Wyoming to Georgia (state) in the next few months.

Anyone have fluffy Orpingtons in a hot climate? Has anyone gone through the process of getting vet inspections and moving chickens across state lines?

Not myself but had friends that kept Buff Orps in central Texas for years without issue.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Just make sure they always have access to shade and water. Something I've noticed chickens seem to love is trays of frozen veggies in water also which should help keep them cool on very hot days.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I have Buff Orps in the Raleigh, NC area. Not sure how much hotter where you're going is. It gets hot and humid as gently caress here.

The buff orps take the heat better than my Norwegians.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Gonna see if I can keep my chickens alive in 107-111f (41-44c) heat for the next three days.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I'm in a similar boat:

I know they're good for shade, and I put extra water trays out everywhere but I can't help but be a little worried. my poor birds just aren't used to these sorts of temperatures :ohdear:

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

BHB posted:

I'm in a similar boat:

I know they're good for shade, and I put extra water trays out everywhere but I can't help but be a little worried. my poor birds just aren't used to these sorts of temperatures :ohdear:

I don't know if you can get a box fan to them, but that is what is saving our rear end right now. We also freeze bottles and jugs of water to stage around the coop on the worst days.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Alterian posted:

I have Buff Orps in the Raleigh, NC area. Not sure how much hotter where you're going is. It gets hot and humid as gently caress here.

The buff orps take the heat better than my Norwegians.

That’s good to hear. We are possibly going to coastal Georgia, so it will be hot and humid both. Here in WY it gets pretty hot in the summer but it’s very dry and cools down at night. Having hot and muggy weather will be a big change for them.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Duck update. They are decidedly medium, no tiny power or largeness here.

We poured out a container of watermelon and strawberries and holy poo poo. They devoured it. 100% total destruction. One of the ducks is blind and she power stomps everywhere and on everyone. It's fairly hilarious.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

Gonna see if I can keep my chickens alive in 107-111f (41-44c) heat for the next three days.

hottest I've ever done was 123F heat index. I threw out some Sonic ice in their covered areas, which are built to maintain temperature. the temp in their new cool huts was about 75-80 while the 20 pounds per house of ice melted. the heat broke the next day. they liked pecking it.

Joburg posted:

That’s good to hear. We are possibly going to coastal Georgia, so it will be hot and humid both. Here in WY it gets pretty hot in the summer but it’s very dry and cools down at night. Having hot and muggy weather will be a big change for them.

Howdy I'm near Augusta. It's hot and poo poo and you'll probably die of covid before your chickens die of the heat. Zapdos is a buff orpington and we just lost Sprinkles, the elderly frizzle that was full of hatred, to you know; existing past 3 years old and being a tractor supply bird. I have 0 heat issues.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i think we'll move the chickens into the cool garage for the heatwave, since they're small

they'll be so bored though

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i'm praying for all your birds in this awful heat :( all the good suggestions have already been made - i especially like the ice cube trays full of frozen veggies! - but i'd just like to add that if there's one or a few particular spots where they like to dust-bathe, keeping those spots damp will help them stay cool.
:swoon: :yayclod: :h: they have such intelligent little faces! well, for a certain definition of intelligent. they have cognitive little faces.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Luna posted:

I don't know if you can get a box fan to them, but that is what is saving our rear end right now. We also freeze bottles and jugs of water to stage around the coop on the worst days.

Wee have a couple of 8" desk fans we point at the chickens to keep them cool. At first they're very suspicious of the fan, but within a couple of hours they're snoozing directly in front of the air flow.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Chickens survived 107f now to see if they will make it through a potential of 113f.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
After 2 years of almost no issues with our flock it looks like we're going to lose another bird. She was extremely lethargic today and standing hunched over. We brought her in to give an Epson salt bath to see if she was egg bound since we couldn't feel anything. Still couldn't after the bath but we did notice some yellow runny not poop material on the towel we dried her with. Now she's in the chicken hospital kennel and is standing and I just checked her and it looks like she's been leaking broken egg. :smith:

She's one of our favorite hens and I am not looking forward to having to cull her but if she doesn't show any improvement by evening and if I see more broken egg or blood I know I'll have to.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Chicken update. My chicken that had stopped laying has started again! She laid some soft and shelless eggs but seems to be back laying normally now. I guess it was some sort of infection that's she's over now.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Source4Leko posted:

After 2 years of almost no issues with our flock it looks like we're going to lose another bird. She was extremely lethargic today and standing hunched over. We brought her in to give an Epson salt bath to see if she was egg bound since we couldn't feel anything. Still couldn't after the bath but we did notice some yellow runny not poop material on the towel we dried her with. Now she's in the chicken hospital kennel and is standing and I just checked her and it looks like she's been leaking broken egg. :smith:

She's one of our favorite hens and I am not looking forward to having to cull her but if she doesn't show any improvement by evening and if I see more broken egg or blood I know I'll have to.

Good luck with your hen.

This morning when I was out doing chores I saw that one of my friendly 11 month old Amber Star hens had a prolapse. There was a lot of stuff hanging out and part of it was ruptured. Mercifully the other chickens hadn’t pecked it yet so I stopped what I was doing and put her down. It was a real sad start to the day.

And she had poultry lice so I get to dust all the butts again :saddowns:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i'm sorry for the chicken problems

today i heard a tiny noise and guess what, my chicken sign is now 50% true!

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 9, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cr1tYhV14Pg

Hahahahahaha!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

City of Glompton posted:

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cr1tYhV14Pg

Oh my god that's wonderful.

I wanted to share the holy grail from work: A tale in three photos.

The straggler was concerned Pops wasn't following, which upset the dad so much he made a huge racket while looking at me then dashed on after the fam. :kimchi:

Good luck to everyone and their birds, especially Source's hen and the birds caught in the heat wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

Chickens survived 107f now to see if they will make it through a potential of 113f.

They lived :toot: