Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I know I have them, but I need to find them. I just started working again, but I'll look for them this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I do not know how I managed to miss this entire thread up until this point. Necromancy be praised. I have loved looking through all the posts and also seeing how many people here love to paw through old books to find some of the most out there things. I especially love seeing how many books I have in common with people that I would file under niche or weird.

If you'll indulge me, I have some contributions. I love finding a dusty shelf in a second hand or consignment store that has books no one has looked at in years.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

:cop:

:downsgun:

:nws: for vintage chaste medical book nudity
:nws:

This one was not particularly special at first. Last October, Jonathan, a friend of mine and my wife suddenly passed away. He had no nearby family and I was helping clean his apartment and came across this advanced copy of The Graveyard Book. We already have a copy and my wife loved it and it was in a pile of stuff to go through or donate. I figured my wife would like to have Jonathan's copy as a keepsake.

Opened the cover-

:cry:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm glad Dr. A. Willy wrote the Illustrated Guide to Sex, he certainly is quite involved!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Droogie posted:

Those are some awesome additions to this thread! Feel free to post more.

I think I have that "Survival Under Atomic Attack" pamphlet, but every thing else is new to me.

I want to airbrush this on the hood of my car:

Droogie posted:

This one was not particularly special at first. Last October, Jonathan, a friend of mine and my wife suddenly passed away. He had no nearby family and I was helping clean his apartment and came across this advanced copy of The Graveyard Book. We already have a copy and my wife loved it and it was in a pile of stuff to go through or donate. I figured my wife would like to have Jonathan's copy as a keepsake.

Opened the cover-

:cry:

I'm sorry Neil Gaiman murdered your friend Jonathan. What a dick!

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I'm sorry Neil Gaiman murdered your friend Jonathan. What a dick!

I will have my revenge

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
good poo poo, droogie

YouTubeTekReviewer
Apr 25, 2005

Gutter Phoenix posted:

In 1997 I stopped at a gas station somewhere near Santa Rosa, CA and the mini-mart was completely stick with It'sa brand merchandise. Stuff like "It'sa Cola!" and "It'sa Sandwich!" Here is a candy wrapper I saved because it was so goddamn weird. Look at those loving quotes!!

I have never seen It'sa brand anything ever again, and can't find any information on it online. If anyone knows anything about it, clue me in.

Crossposting from the white whale thread in case you're not checking it any more...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895038&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=91#post515773466

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Mystery solved! Hooray!!!!!

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

E. Oops

Droogie fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 15, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oh, that's what that dude's work looks like when he's not actively trying to destroy me

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

WTF? Not posting illustrations? Better step up your posting game, GP! :agesilaus:

In all seriousness illustrations from old “not in mixed company” type books are the best.

Thing to know is that book is almost certainly just another kissing manual because "make love" used to be the term instead of "make out." So they don't mean having sex.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Thing to know is that book is almost certainly just another kissing manual because "make love" used to be the term instead of "make out." So they don't mean having sex.

Yeah, it's not as slutty as it sounds, sadly.

I looked for my copy, but I think it's in a box of zines in my parents' garage. I'll grab it next time I'm there.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

hexwren posted:

oh, that's what that dude's work looks like when he's not actively trying to destroy me

I thought it was just a joke since the styles are so similar, but drat if it isn't.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, understood. Kinda like “snagging” has a specific meaning in the UK, but can mean first base to third base to an American.

Everybody in the world knows what “loving” is. The true measurement of the internet’s effect on modern global society :tutbutt:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://awfullibrarybooks.net/be-courageous-and-meet-john-stamos/

The blog Awful Library Books is a treasure. :allears: Spoiler: This book gets an awful lot wrong.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

yo gutter phoenix, is this you:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/owlbearbks/m.html

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Nope! It's me.

Edit: I'll see if I can get some good pictures for this thread later tonight. I don't have home internet at the moment and I am only using my phone to do stuff including shitpost.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I brought my Drake posted:

Nope! It's me.

Edit: I'll see if I can get some good pictures for this thread later tonight. I don't have home internet at the moment and I am only using my phone to do stuff including shitpost.

oh poo poo nice, good luck pal!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Nope. I don't have anything listed on ebay right now, although I still have tons of crap listed in my SA Mart thread.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah, understood. Kinda like “snagging” has a specific meaning in the UK, but can mean first base to third base to an American.

Everybody in the world knows what “loving” is. The true measurement of the internet’s effect on modern global society :tutbutt:

Snagging doesn't mean anything specifically sexual in the UK, except in the generic sense that it means "to win/obtain/get hold of". Snogging is specifically making out, although it's also kind of a diminutive term for it, it's the kind of thing you'd use when you were gossiping about what other people have been up to.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I know. My iPhone/AwfulApp auto-corrected me. I usually don’t mind, but this one actually inverted the entire word the sentence was about! Apologies.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snagging is when a tree trunk catches your riverboat and you drown.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Found in an op shop this morning.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Blimp attack!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Blimp attack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzk3XZQMI88

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There was a rather successful series of soft-cover books published by Werner Söderström from the 1930s to the 40s. It's name was literally "Ten-mark novels", so the price printed on the cover also served as a logo. But printing a thick novel costs more than printing a normal-length novel. The solution:

(As far as I know this is the only double-double-ten-mark novel in the series.)

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

https://twitter.com/combattlerRickV/status/1415694036820807682?s=19

The others are in the thread

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Some new books:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Op shop find today:

(sorry about the dutch angles, was trying to get the lighting glare out of the photo.)

Impressive water damage:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I revisited this book from my childhood the other day, and it is every bit as bizarre as I remember.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

As far as picks for a textual adaptation of The Prisoner go, Disch is a really dang good one.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I revisited this book from my childhood the other day, and it is every bit as bizarre as I remember.

I loved this book as a kid!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

lifg posted:

I loved this book as a kid!

Bremen Town Musicians, Ferdinand, There’s a Monster at the End of This Book, Little Black Sambo, many others like this. My Grandma had a ton of books and children’s games from the twenties and thirties in her closet that I devoured and read many times. I don’t know where they ended up, but I’m sure they are in the attic. Too hot to look; I’ll put a notification on my computer to check occasionally and if I find them I’ll definitely scan them for here.
In 2021, what is a librarian going to do with an 90 y/o copy of “Epomonandas?”

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

DerekSmartymans posted:

Bremen Town Musicians, Ferdinand, There’s a Monster at the End of This Book, Little Black Sambo, many others like this. My Grandma had a ton of books and children’s games from the twenties and thirties in her closet that I devoured and read many times. I don’t know where they ended up, but I’m sure they are in the attic. Too hot to look; I’ll put a notification on my computer to check occasionally and if I find them I’ll definitely scan them for here.
In 2021, what is a librarian going to do with an 90 y/o copy of “Epomonandas?”

Remove it from the children's collection and put it up in the adult stacks?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I just picked up this paperback from 1943:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Gutter Phoenix posted:

hell yeah sounds like the middle section of my music collection

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Is it... a guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I kinda love that cover