Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
He'd have more luck doing an undervolt, giving it less juice will make much more of a difference to temps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lol you are NEVER seeing "msrp" for the rest of this gen

649 for 3080 was an outright loving lie by nvidia to massage their own image - AIBs set their own prices and nvidia knew this
AIBs immediately pulling their non-OC cards was a nice move as well.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

kliras posted:

Yes, I actually had to cancel my asus TUF non-oc order from ocuk at their staff's urging because it didn't show up even after five months.
The whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth, and my faith in phyre promises shattered.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

kliras posted:

This is another large problem as to why the original msrp is no longer the msrp. This combined with tariffs and aibs hiking prices to cut out scalpers has changed the actual msrp for this generation to be worse than the 20 series.

600 for a 3070 is a good deal in the current market. I’d buy twenty at that price.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 26, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"MSRP" is whatever the manufacturer puts on the product page and prices will never be lower than that. That's what I go by, anyway.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MSRP means the price can’t go lower

Unless it goes on sale and the price goes lower

Or if the manufacturer never actually intends to sell it at that price and it’s always more expensive

Or if they always have it on sale since the day it launches and it’s never at MSRP

Or if they raise the MSRP so people think it’s a sale and it’s not really a sale

Or they change the MSRP

Or they give immediate rebates

Or the resellers set their own prices or sales or rebates

Hm, I’m beginning to think MSRP might not mean a lot in some cases

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok, sure. I mean, it's always been a "what's it worth to you?" situation at its core. Scalpers/resellers base their prices on what people will pay but their floor for new-in-box inventory is MSRP, that's all I'm saying.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

He'd have more luck doing an undervolt, giving it less juice will make much more of a difference to temps

Any good recommended guides/steps for undervolting, for someone who never has had to do it?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

Any good recommended guides/steps for undervolting, for someone who never has had to do it?

Quick and not too technical guide;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqpfYTi43TE

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks for this. I really need to do it as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is pretty wild.

https://twitter.com/y_nakajima_/sta...ingawful.com%2F

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, thanks for this! I wrangled my temps with some fan curve stuff, but this will help a lot too.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
That’s one of a couple of videos I watched to figure out my own undervolt. They were super helpful and made a (admittedly pretty simple) process simpler to understand and execute on.

Since then, I’ve been slowly experimenting with my undervolt to see what the limit is. Currently at 0.893v @ 1905mhz on my 3080 and it’s been rock solid and stays under 60C on every game I’ve played at 120hz/1440p. I think the most demanding stuff I’ve played is Metro Exodus Enhanced & RDR2 so I’m pretty interested to see how much further I can push it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/studio/canvas/

Going to try this out later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_08---oEw

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Wondering whether I prefer hardware prices always remaining the same or hardware being completely outdated within a year like in the 90s

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oh gently caress this will be so cool for generating dnd landscape

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Lord Stimperor posted:

Oh gently caress this will be so cool for generating dnd landscape

This is the first I'm hearing of Nvidia Canvas but that video has been up since January. Beta just recently dropped

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of the things I was worried about with these power-hungry cards was room temperature. My PC room already gets hot enough as it is with a 225w card. I'll keep this in mind if I ever manage to get a new video card. And also maybe consider undervolting my 5700 XT, for the summer at least. Are cards just overvolted at the factory to account for a wider range of silicon quality or something? Are there any adverse side effects to keep in mind when lowering your card's voltage? (aside from instability if you go too low)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 27, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

It's funny I was looking at the calendar and GPU prices, and putting the two together, started lowering the voltage of mine lol. This 2070 can't die on me the next 1-2 years.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And also maybe consider undervolting my 5700 XT, for the summer at least. Are cards just overvolted at the factory to account for a wider range of silicon quality or something? Are there any adverse side effects to keep in mind when lowering your card's voltage? (aside from instability if you go too low)

You can also under-current that 5700 XT with bios edits, which combines well with undervolts + overclocks: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3484126&pagenumber=1947&perpage=40#post504931101

No negatives I've seen in over a year of running with those tweaks and a set of undervolts/overclocks in Afterburner. Afterburner lets you have 5 presets which you can bind to keys for easy switching.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

1000 monkeys at typewriters writing the works of Shakespeare in 1000 years, except the monkeys are tensor cores and the result is art that looks subtly wrong

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

1000 monkeys at typewriters writing the works of Shakespeare in 1000 years, except the monkeys are tensor cores and the result is art that looks subtly wrong

It's going to be a whole new subgenre of album cover art in the next few years.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SourKraut posted:

Now I'm nervous that the 3090 FTW3 I received from Step-Up is going to cook itself. Guess it's a good thing I got the 10 year warranty?

It's pretty trivial to re-pad the rear memory - the hardest part is getting your hands on the pads.

Also, expect stuff like this to get more elaborate: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...-f9f905f7a520-1 and https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...-f9f905f7a520-7

Why someone hasn't come up with custom backplates for EVGA cards to take advantage of the on-board PWM fan header, I've no clue.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 27, 2021

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

SourKraut posted:

Now I'm nervous that the 3090 FTW3 I received from Step-Up is going to cook itself. Guess it's a good thing I got the 10 year warranty?

If it means anything EVGA’s customer support is the best in the biz.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

This seems neat and is pretty much AI based scenery photobashing.

For designers & concept artists, it's just another tool in the toolbelt for visualizing and solving problems.

For hobbyists and other folks, it'll be a handy quick way to do all kinds of stuff. As someone mentioned for example, you can make D&D campaign setting visuals.

Heck, you basically can use it to make free (if you have an RTX gpu lol) 'stock photos of scenery' for yourself for any number of purposes. That alone has a ton of use for professionals and regular folks.

I might try creating animation backdrops using it for short gifs or whatever later this week.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

It's a very cool tech demo but it's no where near production ready atm - renders are limited to 512x512 and are pretty heavily artifacted:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If I'm getting a 3070TI and I have a 650 w PSU should I upgrade to the reccomended 750w? All I have is an i7-8700, 4 sticks of ram, and 2 ssds.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

If I'm getting a 3070TI and I have a 650 w PSU should I upgrade to the reccomended 750w? All I have is an i7-8700, 4 sticks of ram, and 2 ssds.

Your PSU is more than enough for your system. A 3070 Ti should be using around 300w of power. A Core i7-8700 looks to max out at 115w of power, so that's roughly 415w of power needed. The rest of the system together is a trivial amount of wattage in comparison, maybe up to like 450w or so all together? Maybe 500w if your 3070 Ti has a higher power limit than the FE.

GPU manufacturers always overestimate PSU requirements to cover for people have bad PSU's. Presuming you have a decent quality PSU, you should have no issues at all.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I haven't had my 3090 FTW Ultra break a sweat yet, even with cyberpunk at max settings on a 5120x1440 monitor (so basically 4k in pixel count). But I'm running it at the 'standard' vbios setting, and in a case with 10 case fans inside it. I might have not found a really stressful game, yet, though. I do keep meaning to get around to undervolting it, though, just in case.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Your PSU is more than enough for your system. A 3070 Ti should be using around 300w of power. A Core i7-8700 looks to max out at 115w of power, so that's roughly 415w of power needed. The rest of the system together is a trivial amount of wattage in comparison, maybe up to like 450w or so all together? Maybe 500w if your 3070 Ti has a higher power limit than the FE.

GPU manufacturers always overestimate PSU requirements to cover for people have bad PSU's. Presuming you have a decent quality PSU, you should have no issues at all.

I have an EVGA G3 Gold 650w - hoping that should be sufficient. Thanks!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lord Stimperor posted:

Wondering whether I prefer hardware prices always remaining the same or hardware being completely outdated within a year like in the 90s

As somebody who has seen the last 20 years, the latter of course

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
For as much of a pain in the rear end as it's been to procure the 30-series worldwide, I've a feeling they'll be particularly long-lived cards. Maybe not as much as the 970 and 980Ti were, but I think they'll be viable for a good long time.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's hard to say. a lot of what "forced" GPU upgrades was the shift among enthusiast gamers from 1080P to 1440P.
i and i'm guessing many others are waiting for decent VRR 4K monitors so that might force another wave of upgrades in a couple years

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

It's going to be a whole new subgenre of album cover art in the next few years.

the style of music will obviously be called “tensorcore”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
With the understanding that the AMD encoder is generally considered to be worse, but also that the GT line (esp GT 1030) does not carry the Nvidia encoder and you need the GTX for that, is there a similar feature set gatekeeping for AMD?

Paul MaudDib posted:

the style of music will obviously be called “tensorcore”

:golfclap:

___

EDIT for more content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlxHsuZP2y0

Hammer On Box did a video testing FSR on APUs and low-tier GPUs on Dota 2. The results were... mediocre

* Dota 2 is already playable with over 100 FPS at 1080p at the lowest settings even with budget hardware
* even at the highest settings at 1080p, you should still be able to squeeze-out at least 30 FPS out of it
* because of the lack of pixel data to reconstruct from at 1080p, applying even 75% FSR softens the image so much that full render scaling at lowest settings looks better than going with high settings and then using FSR to bring up the frame rate
* and you could potentially still turn up a few settings in the former case (full render res, lowest settings, no FSR) if you want to drop some frames for better visual quality

There is value to FSR at 4k, because the visual quality doesn't suffer as much from applying FSR, and the non-FSR'd frame rate at 4k is low enough that you might want to bring it back up with FSR... but at the same time, I rather doubt that anyone with a 4k monitor is also on a tight enough budget that they're having to play Dota 2, at 4k, with a Ryzen APU.

All that said, and in my opinion, it's not really FSR's "fault" in this case, because Dota 2 is already so "well-optimized" that you don't need to FSR it. There's probably a sweet-spot here for:

* a game that just barely isn't playable on a given tier of hardware
* that doesn't devolve into blurry crap when FSR'd
* but does gain enough frames from FSR to become playable again
* that also doesn't already have another upscaling technique in its settings that can be used, or that this other technique looks worse than FSR

can this sweet-spot be found? time will tell

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 27, 2021

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

blunt posted:

It's a very cool tech demo but it's no where near production ready atm - renders are limited to 512x512 and are pretty heavily artifacted:

It's about what I expected it would be.

I could see it being used to just make lots of random comps super fast and then use them as a starting point for developing something else.

But yeah, I will be interested in them eventually making a more production ready version of this or for other similar things.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

it's hard to say. a lot of what "forced" GPU upgrades was the shift among enthusiast gamers from 1080P to 1440P.
i and i'm guessing many others are waiting for decent VRR 4K monitors so that might force another wave of upgrades in a couple years

Well, we're getting into the realm of diminishing returns with increased monitor resolutions, aren't we? Not everybody has the space for or is willing to get 32-inch monitors, and I dunno if there's much in the way of noticeable fidelity improvements at smaller sizes. 1080p stuck around for a very long time, and I'm betting that 1440p will stick around as the most popular resolution for just as long.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Well, we're getting into the realm of diminishing returns with increased monitor resolutions, aren't we? Not everybody has the space for or is willing to get 32-inch monitors, and I dunno if there's much in the way of noticeable fidelity improvements at smaller sizes. 1080p stuck around for a very long time, and I'm betting that 1440p will stick around as the most popular resolution for just as long.

paid $900 for a 34" ultrawide 1440p monitor last year, definitely not planning on moving to another monitor any time soon since it's already just fine for my needs and the other 4k monitor i do have isn't really a whole lot better enough to justify the performance loss

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The main area where more performance can be used is always VR. High frame rate requirements, in combination with 8k resolution, and then you double that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm currently on two 27" 1440P144 monitors for gaming/coding.
being able to collapse them into a single larger 4K monitor would be awesome for both use-cases, and with HDMI2.1 support would be great for PS5/XSX gaming too

anyway, i'm speaking to the enthusiast demographic that's willing to throw down for a 3080Ti/3090 equivalent GPU
i'm sure most people would be happy with a 1440P monitor