Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Wazzu posted:

So I'm catching up on some AEW unrestricted, and you can never tell how much a wrestler is working the gimmick, but QT seems like a real abrasive guy, but nice in how much he seems to value hard work from others and worked out that AEW as a startup needed someone who just does useful stuff. He better be getting paid a shitload with how everyone says he does so much.

Allie was a good listen full of honesty and she came off like the nicest person. Great to hear her talking about her habits of managing her mental health as well. Going through her horror movie inspirations was neat, but lol at her referencing "Baby" from House of 1,000 corpses as inspiration, which made me see how blatantly Bray Wyatt ripped off that stuff after some wiki searching.

The firefly farmhouse, smh

Oh, and congrats to Bryan doing live research during the latest B&V about the Jade Cargill/Toronto Four Seasons corporate sponsorship.

Cody said on some podcast that QT was hired to be his assistant (plus wrestling some) and now he doesn't have an assistant because QT is like running everything

He told a story about someone, I think Christopher Daniels, busting into his office and asking "Where's QT, I need to talk to him now." And Cody was a little pissed and said, "Look, I'm one of the EVPs, I'm at the production board in gorilla with TK, I'm right here, anything you need to ask QT you can go ahead and ask me." And so CD gave Cody the list of questions and Cody was like "...let me go find QT"

Also I think they screwed up on the B&V because Craig was checking promo code "THATBITCH" and I think it's "THATB" which might be something you could yell at someone at the reservation desk without offending them

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Cody said on some podcast that QT was hired to be his assistant (plus wrestling some) and now he doesn't have an assistant because QT is like running everything

He told a story about someone, I think Christopher Daniels, busting into his office and asking "Where's QT, I need to talk to him now." And Cody was a little pissed and said, "Look, I'm one of the EVPs, I'm at the production board in gorilla with TK, I'm right here, anything you need to ask QT you can go ahead and ask me." And so CD gave Cody the list of questions and Cody was like "...let me go find QT"

Also I think they screwed up on the B&V because Craig was checking promo code "THATBITCH" and I think it's "THATB" which might be something you could yell at someone at the reservation desk without offending them

Craig's a dumbass and was probably putting a space, or putting THATB*TCH because his weirdo fundie tendencies wouldn't let him spell out a cuss

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think QT is working but he's also right to have a chip, that feels like it comes from a real place. He's a surprisingly talented wrestler who just got overlooked and hit with bad injuries.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Holy poo poo, I didn't know about black market babies in the US or Ric Flair being one of them.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That and someone thinking about booking Bam Bam Bigelow vs Mike Tyson were the two biggest WTF moments on WOR

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lance Storm is suggesting that firing people would be better if you turned it into a 2-week storyline

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Penguin Patrol posted:

Lance Storm is suggesting that firing people would be better if you turned it into a 2-week storyline

Yeah I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing there.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Penguin Patrol posted:

lol what

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
His point was that if you're gonna fire guys anyways, you might as well incorporate their departure into a storyline (like they did with Daniel Bryan).

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

wwe is by different turns too petty and too callous to give extra attention to anyone that's on the way out unless they're retiring

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Want a taste before you pay myself and Zellner to regale you with Paul Heyman shenanigans? Then check this out:
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1408917817357914114

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Penguin Patrol posted:

At the mass and frequency they're firing people these days all of Raw, Smackdown, and NXT would just be 2-week storylines writing people off the show.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

EDIT: Accidentally hit Reply for some reason

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

His point was that if you're gonna fire guys anyways, you might as well incorporate their departure into a storyline (like they did with Daniel Bryan).

didn't Cornette have a whole thing about this like 20 years ago about....a Basham brother? getting called up from OVW & having his head shaved, saying "look if you want him to shave his head, that's fine, but give me a month's heads up and I'll book him to lose a hair match and draw you some fuckin' money with it"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

oldskool posted:

didn't Cornette have a whole thing about this like 20 years ago about....a Basham brother? getting called up from OVW & having his head shaved, saying "look if you want him to shave his head, that's fine, but give me a month's heads up and I'll book him to lose a hair match and draw you some fuckin' money with it"

I think it was somebody came to TV with their head shaved because WWE wanted it and Corny read them that riot act about how he could book around it if they'd let him know beforehand.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I think it was somebody came to TV with their head shaved because WWE wanted it and Corny read them that riot act about how he could book around it if they'd let him know beforehand.

I hate to defend Cornette, but that’s not an unreasonable thing to ask, IMO.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's retroactively good WWE unintentionally did everything possible to sabotage and annoy Cornette in the early 2000s.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

edogawa rando posted:

Cornette is an idiot but I've always liked that story.

Also his History of X interviews (WWF 97? and WCW 92?) are really good. And as always I really enjoyed SMW.

I intellectually get where Storm is coming from: Like in the old days you'd do an injury angle for someone who was going to Japan for a tour, or have a guy lose a loser leaves town match when they went to a different territory.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

algebra testes posted:

Cornette is an idiot but I've always liked that story.

Also his History of X interviews (WWF 97? and WCW 92?) are really good. And as always I really enjoyed SMW.

I intellectually get where Storm is coming from: Like in the old days you'd do an injury angle for someone who was going to Japan for a tour, or have a guy lose a loser leaves town match when they went to a different territory.

And possibly using it to put someone else over. Lance is a big believer in going "out on your back" when you leave a promotion/retire from wrestling.

Of course most of these releases wouldn't necessarily be giving that much of a rub, but I get where he's coming from.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Angry_Ed posted:

And possibly using it to put someone else over. Lance is a big believer in going "out on your back" when you leave a promotion/retire from wrestling.

Of course most of these releases wouldn't necessarily be giving that much of a rub, but I get where he's coming from.
Storm's theory only works if the WWE are willing to put people over on their way out.

Mox was willing to put over Nia Jax and EC3 on his way out and they both got punished for not burying him hard enough.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

Storm's theory only works if the WWE are willing to put people over on their way out.

Mox was willing to put over Nia Jax and EC3 on his way out and they both got punished for not burying him hard enough.

I mean there is also that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

edogawa rando posted:

Not only that, it was two OVW guys (The Damaja and Doug Basham) who were in the midst of a feud in OVW at the time. They get called up to do some dark matches, and someone in the back is like "Hey, we want to book you as a tag team. Brothers even. So how the one with hair shave your head so you look alike?"

Then after the tryout (which I think even made it on air to Smackdown), they sent them back to OVW, leaving Cornette to explain why two guys who were in a blood feud were suddenly teaming together.

WWE learned their lesson though. When the brought up Gargano and Ciampa to the main roster, they didn't make Johnny shave his head. Everything else was the same though.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Davros1 posted:

Not only that, it was two OVW guys (The Damaja and Doug Basham) who were in the midst of a feud in OVW at the time. They get called up to do some dark matches, and someone in the back is like "Hey, we want to book you as a tag team. Brothers even. So how the one with hair shave your head so you look alike?"

Then after the tryout (which I think even made it on air to Smackdown), they sent them back to OVW, leaving Cornette to explain why two guys who were in a blood feud were suddenly teaming together.
Making it even dumber: They HAD been a team right before the then-current feud. WWE had plenty of footage of them as a team to evaluate.

Cornette, to his credit, pulled a rabbit out of his hat with how he made sense of it: The heel, Doug, possibly having pimped out his valet to curry favor, was in league with corrupt WWE talent relations head John Laurinaitis to mess with Damaja by "forcing" him to team with Doug as his brother or else lose his contract. Laurinaitis even worked a match on OVW TV to blow it off. Eventually, it ended with some kind of angle—I forget what—that turned Doug babyface in OVW and built up to Damaja saying he'd be honored to be his brother. I dunno when exactly Cornette completely lost his fastball as far as creative, but he still had it in mid-2003.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

davidbix posted:

Making it even dumber: They HAD been a team right before the then-current feud. WWE had plenty of footage of them as a team to evaluate.

Cornette, to his credit, pulled a rabbit out of his hat with how he made sense of it: The heel, Doug, possibly having pimped out his valet to curry favor, was in league with corrupt WWE talent relations head John Laurinaitis to mess with Damaja by "forcing" him to team with Doug as his brother or else lose his contract. Laurinaitis even worked a match on OVW TV to blow it off. Eventually, it ended with some kind of angle—I forget what—that turned Doug babyface in OVW and built up to Damaja saying he'd be honored to be his brother. I dunno when exactly Cornette completely lost his fastball as far as creative, but he still had it in mid-2003.
The moral of the story is that Triple H got fleeced just like Cornette and Heyman in trying to run a developmental territory where people are just going to be be called up on a whim and thrown away when Vince gets bored of them.

And now Nick Khan is going to probably inherit the company after 20 years of Triple H trying to leverage himself as the favorite son

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

RealFoxy posted:

The moral of the story is that Triple H got fleeced just like Cornette and Heyman in trying to run a developmental territory where people are just going to be be called up on a whim and thrown away when Vince gets bored of them.

And now Nick Khan is going to probably inherit the company after 20 years of Triple H trying to leverage himself as the favorite son.
Seriously, I wonder how much talk of finally drawing up a formal succession plan for investors there has been now that Khan is in place and Vince adores him so much.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

davidbix posted:

Seriously, I wonder how much talk of finally drawing up a formal succession plan for investors there has been now that Khan is in place and Vince adores him so much.
The impression that I get is that Nick Khan wants to make/save money while Triple H wanted to beat the competition. Signing a bunch of people to 6 figure contracts to keep them away from other companies only hurts the competition but doesn't help the WWE. Nick Khan is about the bottom line, if they're not making money or if they're over-paid just get rid of them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Remember when people thought Trips would take over and he'd turn the WWE into a Real Wrestling Promotion again?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The discussion about writers needed an editor.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Dawgstar posted:

Remember when people thought Trips would take over and he'd turn the WWE into a Real Wrestling Promotion again?

Gonna send him a fruit basket after he books his first NWA PPV

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

DEATHMATCH SHANE MCMAHON, Y'ALL!
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1409384770308616192
THE KING OF ROCK AND RUMBLE, Y'ALL!
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1409386249236926467

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Alvarez: This listener here says WWE is booking Roman like a heel version of Hulk Hogan in 1987, and AEW is booking Omega like Ric Flair in 1986.

Sempervive: Well the reality of the situation of the fact of the matter is quite frankly we'll have to see how it plays out but concerning the matter of the fact that the situation may change but we'll just have to see what happens and some people might think otherwise but the reality of the situation of the fact of the matter is quite frankly we'll have to see how it plays out but concerning the matter of the fact that the situation may change but we'll just have to see what happens and some people might think otherwise but the reality of the situation of the fact of the matter is quite frankly we'll have to see how it plays out but concerning the matter of the fact that the situation may change but we'll just have to see what happens and some people might think otherwise but the reality of the situation of the fact of the matter is quite frankly we'll have to see how it plays out but concerning the matter of the fact that the situation may change but we'll just have to see what happens and some people might think otherwise but the reality of the situation of the fact of the matter is quite frankly we'll have to see how it plays out but concerning the matter of the fact that the situation may change but we'll just have to see what happens and some people might think otherwise but the reality of the situation of the fact of the matter is quite frankly we'll have to see how it plays out but concerning the matter of the fact that the situation may change but we'll just have to see what happens and some people might think otherwise you look at the two companies and they're doing it different.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey look, it's the reason I cant get through an entire episode of WOL anymore.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Every combination of hosts besides Bryan and Vinny is nigh unlistenable at this point.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!
I loving hate Mike’s passive aggressiveness

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

A few years ago Sempervive guested on a podcast with Rich from Voices of Wrestling who has a tendency to make a point in three sentences and then spend 5 minutes rambling at top speed just restating that point over and over with slight variations. I thought I was going to have to skip the episode but oddly both of them were relaxed and focused, and didn't indulge in either of their worst habits. It was actually kind of bizarre. I feel like I've heard Semp guesting on other pods and he's much better than he is on WOL.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dont have anything insightful or interesting to say so let me belt out some metaphors that make no loving sense so i feel smart

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I like Rich, I think he's a smart, funny dude, but he is so bad about repeating the same thing five times, I honestly cant listen to him without Joe because he gets so unfocused and rambly and repetitive.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I still miss between the ropes with Fritz and dickerman - when he did impressions of Andre I would cry I laughed so hard

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Sempervive is much better at getting to the point on other podcasts. He still has a tendency to be long-winded, but I chalk up his WOL weirdness to being one of the many byproducts of just how difficult that show is to do with all of the time restrictions etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’s been a long time since i heard him do it but i remember semp being a lot better flying solo on WOL than being bryan’s cohost