Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SirPablo posted:

Your water should look like piss and your piss look like water. Why is this so hard.

just add lemon (to your piss)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SirPablo posted:

drink more piss

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSPortland/status/1408944009603551235

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

HonorableTB posted:

I'm taking in climate refugees in the United States lol this is extremely cool and normal

lol that's been a thing on the gulf coast during hurricane season since forever

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You can also put damp cold towels over yourself in bed to help cool you down as you go to sleep.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
droink your pee

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Without AC it's extremely important to take maximum advantage of nighttime cooling. Open as many windows as possible and try to exchange as much air with the outside with lots of box fans in the windows

You gotta work with the wind direction and structure when you're doing this but everyone will be in a different situation here

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

OK baizuo posted:

Without AC it's extremely important to take maximum advantage of nighttime cooling. Open as many windows as possible and try to exchange as much air with the outside with lots of box fans in the windows

You gotta work with the wind direction and structure when you're doing this but everyone will be in a different situation here

and to add on to this, it's equally as important to keep windows and doors closed during the day and to keep them shaded to try to keep direct sun and heat out of the room. Be careful though not to trap hot air between the window and indoor curtains and blinds though.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

NeonPunk posted:

Protip: make as much ice you can right now. You can create a make-shift swamp cooler with some ice, a fan, and a container of some kind.

don't do this. if you have ice in an unbearably hot and humid environment you're better off just sticking your feet in it. swamp coolers work off evaporation and by shifting the air conditions more towards the hypothetical wet bulb conditions, so you could theoretically be pushing the temp to like... 90 degrees and 80% humidity if you don't know what you're doing.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
While opening everything does help, I can assure you that it still sucks when it gets no colder than the mid 70s outside.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

hifi posted:

don't do this. if you have ice in an unbearably hot and humid environment you're better off just sticking your feet in it. swamp coolers work off evaporation and by shifting the air conditions more towards the hypothetical wet bulb conditions, so you could theoretically be pushing the temp to like... 90 degrees and 80% humidity if you don't know what you're doing.

The humidity is remarkably low so it shouldn’t be much of a problem. Portland was at 17% and even now NWS is reporting 29%. I don’t think with humidity where it’s at a freezers worth of ice will move it that much but I could be wrong

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

While opening everything does help, I can assure you that it still sucks when it gets no colder than the mid 70s outside.

Ideally you pay attention to when the temperature inside is reading higher than the temp outside but yeah the high overnight low is going to be really brutal especially given that it’s supposed to hotter tomorrow

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Ideally you pay attention to when the temperature inside is reading higher than the temp outside but yeah the high overnight low is going to be really brutal especially given that it’s supposed to hotter tomorrow

Yeah, open windows when it's hotter inside and close them when it's hotter outside is the best rule to follow. That usually means close everything during the day and open everything at night, but just paying attention to the temperature differential should be enough to keep your house from turning into a literal oven.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

low humidity in swamp cooler country is like 2%. stick your feet in the bucket of water instead of being too clever

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
seattle deserves this

everyoen deserves this

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Yeah I can only imagine. I spent last summer without AC in Denver and we had a few weeks of 100+ temps, but it still got down into the 60s at night by like 3 or 4 am lol

e: no swamp cooler either but they do work pretty dang well when the humidity is <10%

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kazinsal posted:

stewing, thank you very much

More like sous viding.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I am going to lie under a wet towel in front of a fan and drink lovely ice beer and get ripshit on dab and watch old episodes of The Simpsons until we are out of the heat dome

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

I am going to lie under a wet towel in front of a fan and drink lovely ice beer and get ripshit on dab and watch old episodes of The Simpsons until we are out of the heat dome

sincere post: don’t get too much alcohol in you if you’re burning up, it’ll dehydrate you even more

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I am limiting myself to three (3) lovely ice beers a day :)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Heatin'
Rests his head on a pillow made of concrete again
Oh, sweatin'
Maybe he'll see a little betters, any days

Oh, hand out
Faces that he sees time again ain't that familiar
Oh, gaspin'
He can't help, when he's sweaty, he looks insane

Heat stroke, thoughts arrive like electrolytes
Oh, he don't know, so he sweats them away
Oh, someday yet he'll begin his life again
Life again, life again

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Heatin'
Rests his head on a pillow made of concrete again
Oh, sweatin'
Maybe he'll see a little betters, any days

Oh, hand out
Faces that he sees time again ain't that familiar
Oh, gaspin'
He can't help, when he's sweaty, he looks insane

Heat stroke, thoughts arrive like electrolytes
Oh, he don't know, so he sweats them away
Oh, someday yet he'll begin his life again
Life again, life again

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

I am limiting myself to three (3) lovely ice beers a day :)

The loophole here is obvious

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
It's so hot

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Mayor Dave posted:

It's so hot

火車

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mayor Dave posted:

It's so hot

take off all your clothes and drink until you don't care

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Is it hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement sidewalk yet?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Eventually everywhere will be like Phoenix.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SirPablo posted:

Eventually everywhere will be like Phoenix.

Venus

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

It felt like the things in my fridge weren’t as cool as they once were so I adjusted the dial. Is this a thing that happens?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

mawarannahr posted:

It felt like the things in my fridge weren’t as cool as they once were so I adjusted the dial. Is this a thing that happens?

Yes, absolutely, your fridge has to work harder in a heatwave. Try not to open the door too much and for too long.

I always find that the water in my cold taps isn't as cold either.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i've been on a month-long current-events posting hiatus, and i just gotta say

lol

lmao

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
real good climate death hat trick+1 here

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

say it with me

punctuated equilibrium

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HonorableTB posted:

I have opened my air conditioned apartment to my friends who don't have it and some of them are very heat sensitive and will likely die without some form of cooling.

I'm taking in climate refugees in the United States lol this is extremely cool and normal

Above all keep them hydrated

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

VectorSigma posted:

i've been on a month-long current-events posting hiatus, and i just gotta say

lol

lmao

Right? I basically just broke my own and I feel like it's already time for another one. I almost started crying, just like outright sobbing about an hour ago but now I've got the insane joker smile back. How does that even work?

I'm contemplating potential career suicide by hassling our corporate sustainability team about their plan for this as if it's anything other than make more computers, faster. Maybe I can convince them to start lobbying for aerosol injection? That will probably matter about as much as my complaining about the treatment of women and blacks etc.

To sum up: lol, lmao

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

TehSaurus posted:

Right? I basically just broke my own and I feel like it's already time for another one. I almost started crying, just like outright sobbing about an hour ago but now I've got the insane joker smile back. How does that even work?

I'm contemplating potential career suicide by hassling our corporate sustainability team about their plan for this as if it's anything other than make more computers, faster. Maybe I can convince them to start lobbying for aerosol injection? That will probably matter about as much as my complaining about the treatment of women and blacks etc.

i would like to give you perspective from someone who career suicided trying to do that sort of thing: dont loving do it, it won't matter and the only difference you make will be to your bank account

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I always wanted to run vault of glass irl

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr posted:

If you want to know for sure buy a refrigerator thermometer, everyone should have one for the sake of food safety especially if you rent and have a questionable fridge.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

TehSaurus posted:

Your corporation can do absolutely nothing meaningful on a large enough scale to stop or delay what's begun, don't waste your energy or ruin your prospects badgering them about it. If you really want to go out in a blaze of glory that might be slightly less meaningless, only approach it from a local immediate resilience perspective (e.g. lobby for them to sponsor cooling centers during heat waves and the like).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

118 being projected for temperature in Seattle Jesus gently caress