Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Shine posted:

Incidentally, I received several PMs about the Squizzle/A Loving Dog incident. I looked at those posts, and they sucked. We've removed Squizzle as a mod. I posted earlier that mods antagonizing posters is generally something to avoid, and that post (and the non-apology follow-up) was out of line. Mods antagonizing posters has been part of SA's shtick for years (and I'm certainly guilty of having done it before, especially a decade ago when aggro modding was the norm), but we need to grow past that.

Don't want to sound too conciliatory to a forums authority figure here, but in terms of material actions to show you're acting in good faith go, this is a pretty drat good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

Don't want to sound too conciliatory to a forums authority figure here, but in terms of material actions to show you're acting in good faith go, this is a pretty drat good one

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

cumshitter posted:

I appreciate that you took the time to read our posts and then write down your thoughts. Just, personally, as someone who posts in the Trump/General GOP thread: nobody and nowhere, except for a few QCS threads harton made, is posting about peefing boofers or TorRMp poo poo outside of the trump/general GOP thread.

Like, literally, nobody in the thread is going out like a Hare Krishna pressing flowers into people's hands on the street and saying "rmtump be with you." It seems to me like all the anger and drama about it comes from people who don't post there. And I would agree 100% in punishing people who did that poo poo outside the trump/GOP thread for being dumbasses but I really can't think of any situation. It's dumb, and purposely so, but it ain't creeping out and the people who are the loudest about how beefing should be banned never post there.

I post there and think "poofing beefers" is extremely dumb in a way that misspelling trump only ever wished it could be. With that said though I don't think banning it is the answer.

Calibanibal was the best mod we've ever had

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

HiHo ChiRho posted:

We should bring back that event from years past where threads took vacations in other forums for a short period of time.

Even if not widespread, it would be nice to see the Marxism thread moved to Coupons and Deals or BFC for a few days

byob is doing this right nwo and they were fun

forums are social and its cool to have poo poo float around. its no different from walking up to a different group at a party

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

there's a place for everybody here. i think all of the threads are important to our community and it's very weird to me to want to ship some of them off to other forums, or shut them down. i mean a thread vacation somewhere else seems fun tho.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

That was pleasantly unexpected

Like, its one thing to have jokes and all, but there is a very clear power differential between mod and poster that can make some 'jokes' have an unpleasant edge to them, especially when no apology is ever offered. If you're gonna make what turns out to be an extremely lovely joke, just apologize for it, maybe give yourself a comedy sixer for poor taste, and move on. Don't pretend nothing happened and let poo poo fester for months.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i do follow the advice of just not reading the thread but if i see that style of posting in other places boy howdy i will have An Opinion and probably voice it in a feedback zone and you better watch out for that i guess

I feel like this is the crux of the problem with the chat thread. I think the Flavius incident got rid of most of them but there are bunch of posters who really don't post anywhere outside of the chat thread, and only seem to venture out to basically pick fights either intentionally or unintentionally in other threads.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a chat thread, YOSPOS has one that is fine but obviously that board doesn't have nearly the number of users as C-SPAM. From glancing in that thread it looks like a lot of the users active in other threads.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm shocked that the posters who post about hating CSPAM and hating the posters of CSPAM want all the popular threads closed or moved.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shine posted:

Incidentally, I received several PMs about the Squizzle/A Loving Dog incident. I looked at those posts, and they sucked. We've removed Squizzle as a mod. I posted earlier that mods antagonizing posters is generally something to avoid, and that post (and the non-apology follow-up) was out of line. Mods antagonizing posters has been part of SA's shtick for years (and I'm certainly guilty of having done it before, especially a decade ago when aggro modding was the norm), but we need to grow past that.

Well no poo poo. That was easy and effective

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

many people are saying cspam will be deleted at midnight, but I would never say that

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I wouild also like to add that, at least this is what I believe, the Trump thread didn't want to be moved was for several reasons:

-It belongs in C-SPAM because it's populated by C-SPAM posters who post in multiple threads.

-QCS Mob. Literally the drama forum

-If you give one concession there will be more.

LIke if the Trump/GOP thread had been moved to CCCC with the same background nobody would have noticed except for people who don't find threads from bookmarks. Any action you, as mods and aministrtators, take that will affect a group will make that group rightly wonder whether it's going to be a legit and honest one off thing or if this is just the beginning of a series of concessions about a thing they care about.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I gotta say though, while I don't care about them and don't think their thread should be closed, obvious Trump thread posters here and during the QCS kerfuffle got some real "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" energy in a way I don't feel like I've really seen on SA and I see why some find it offputting even if I don't think it warrants policing

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spergin Morlock posted:

I post there and think "poofing beefers" is extremely dumb in a way that misspelling trump only ever wished it could be. With that said though I don't think banning it is the answer.

It sucks really bad, and I'm not specifically blaming Harton for this, because he's an unemployed 45 year old who spends all day smoking weed and searching the forums for people using his catchphrase. There's nothing I could do to him that would compare to what life already has. The wretched poofing beefs thing is the same as misspelling trump, or getting your taint ran, or whatever other dumbassed thing is the flavour of the month- it might have been funny once, but losers glom onto it and start posting it all over the place because they don't have any actual ideas, and as soon as you say this poo poo sucks a different bunch of creeps arrive to start posting about lol it's funny you're so mad at this, he's a prophet from dune, you should poof some beefs and other immensely gay poo poo like that and suddenly a good thread has turned into a referendum on the correct amount to revere a guy who lives in a damp garage. Get rid of it, make catchphrases probatable or something, the forum would be a million times better to read and the only people who will get him by this rule should post better or less anyway. that's my feedback

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats posted:

It sucks really bad, and I'm not specifically blaming Harton for this, because he's an unemployed 45 year old who spends all day smoking weed and searching the forums for people using his catchphrase.

i know. he just bought a home. his life owns. he's so loving cool

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I gotta say though, while I don't care about them and don't think their thread should be closed, obvious Trump thread posters here and during the QCS kerfuffle got some real "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" energy in a way I don't feel like I've really seen on SA and I see why some find it offputting even if I don't think it warrants policing

NERD but also lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Dreylad posted:

maybe we all need a reminder that politics aren't like cooties and by reading about and talking about and virtually being around things that aren't explicitly leftist you aren't going to get infected.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cumshitter posted:

i know. he just bought a home. his life owns. he's so loving cool

Can we create a specific thread for you to suck his dick in so the rest of us don't have to read it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
just move it to cccc, who cares any more

rouliroul
Mar 8, 2005

I'm all-in.
Posters that are weirdly antagonistic towards women need to be banned instead of getting sixers. They ran a few out of the COVID thread.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
harton is literally a god. just like zeus he descends upon c-spam like a golden cloud of weed smoke and says "lol, poofing beefers" and we wonder what he means. is he directing us? did he do something? what has changed, now that we have seen our lords from mount olympos dare to descend from their heights and talk to us?

harton is unstoppable and powerful and he is 100% right every time, just like green glenwalled.

you cant punish harton for being strong just because weaker posters mangle his proclamations from the sky. thats an individual problem for them, and an inability to beef a poof in their heart and accept the posting strength of harton

some plague rats posted:

Can we create a specific thread for you to suck his dick in so the rest of us don't have to read it

this is that thread. stop fighting it. you think about beefers all day, let them into your heart

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm shocked that the posters who post about hating CSPAM and hating the posters of CSPAM want all the popular threads closed or moved.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
trump thread posting (at least when it spills over into here/good c-spam threads/qcs) reminds me a lot of the ~2018-era gbs crowd who posted that krusty the clown pic everywhere. it's not that the content is harmful or whatever, they just don't have any kind of social awareness and make other threads worse to read.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think the concern with crowdsourcing iks/mods is going to be the same issue you ran into in the beforetimes where you end up with thread favorites that crush nonbelievers. FYAD pulls it off but thats because a.) it's a small community and b.) the community knows what it wants to/is supposed to be. CSPAM meets neither criteria.

I think the way you pick IKs now is fine; if you mean just for the promotion, it might not be a bad idea to let the community vet them to see if they have the mandate of heaven.

If Gradenko is willing to be one, he should be.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Squizzle was Freddie deBoer all along.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i fought against it too. but then harton blew weed smoke into my ear because he knew dogs get high that way so that must also work on people. now i believe in in him 100%

i believe in a lord who inspires more actions on this forum than the outdated yahweh does. what has your god done for you lately? will he even let you join his band?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

rouliroul posted:

Posters that are weirdly antagonistic towards women need to be banned instead of getting sixers. They ran a few out of the COVID thread.

It would help if well-known and well-loved women from a given thread were simply made IKs pre-emptively before they ever get ganged up on by the forum mafia.

Imagine if snoo, snake and bake, and facetoucher cat had been IKs/mods all along, to help the place chill out instead of what happened

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the 'beefer' posts and the epic clapback to them both seem bad

generally i think cspam needs people to stop making these sour pissy posts about how no one in the threads they read is funny anymore, unlike them. people should just make good posts instead. if you believe in the masses, you have to trust them to choose your good posts over stale meme rehash posts. but if the choice is between the bad memes and boring complaining, nobody wins

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

cumshitter posted:

harton is literally a god. just like zeus he descends upon c-spam like a golden cloud of weed smoke and says "lol, poofing beefers" and we wonder what he means. is he directing us? did he do something? what has changed, now that we have seen our lords from mount olympos dare to descend from their heights and talk to us?

harton is unstoppable and powerful and he is 100% right every time, just like green glenwalled.

you cant punish harton for being strong just because weaker posters mangle his proclamations from the sky. thats an individual problem for them, and an inability to beef a poof in their heart and accept the posting strength of harton

this is that thread. stop fighting it. you think about beefers all day, let them into your heart

I get that never dropping your gimmick is literally a part of your gimmick, but the fact that you could two couldn't help but come in here and poo poo up a thread for a couple pages posting a dumbass catchphrase while everyone else was engaging like normal people is a pretty powerful argument for shuffling the chat thread off to CCCC

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It kinda sucks when topical threads instead become about the people posting in them and the CSPAM megathreads are prone to that

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol snoo would have definitely fell instantly to the drama as they wielded their ikship to smite their enemies and been trapped in the cycle of grievance until naught but bones remained

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

I get that never dropping your gimmick is literally a part of your gimmick, but the fact that you could two couldn't help but come in here and poo poo up a thread for a couple pages posting a dumbass catchphrase while everyone else was engaging like normal people is a pretty powerful argument for shuffling the chat thread off to CCCC

lol shut up nerd

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
"Cumshitter, please leave. We are trying to have an adult conversation about beefers, and what must be done about said beefers." haha

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It kinda sucks when topical threads instead become about the people posting in them and the CSPAM megathreads are prone to that

There isn't a forum I hang out in (TFF, here, TG, QCS (lol)) that doesn't suffer from this.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rest assured, I have banned the word "beefer" from QCS

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

cumshitter posted:

lol shut up nerd

aww I don't even get a catchphrase drop? weak

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

ASAPRockySituation posted:

There isn't a forum I hang out in (TFF, here, TG, QCS (lol)) that doesn't suffer from this.

Yeah but for the people who miss them it's like nah actually it's good they're not consuming all the oxygen of the conversation anymore

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Thread posted:

It would help if well-known and well-loved women from a given thread were simply made IKs pre-emptively before they ever get ganged up on by the forum mafia.

Imagine if snoo, snake and bake, and facetoucher cat had been IKs/mods all along, to help the place chill out instead of what happened

Urgh this sucks so bad

It's great that the enemies list creep is still around has ideas about how to deal with the "forum mafia", incidentally

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I feel like this is the crux of the problem with the chat thread. I think the Flavius incident got rid of most of them but there are bunch of posters who really don't post anywhere outside of the chat thread, and only seem to venture out to basically pick fights either intentionally or unintentionally in other threads.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a chat thread, YOSPOS has one that is fine but obviously that board doesn't have nearly the number of users as C-SPAM. From glancing in that thread it looks like a lot of the users active in other threads.

honestly, like, ive pitched my opinions on it, but its absolutely starting to feel like something that needs to treated with a seriousness down around here, instead of way up here, kind of thing. its not something worth making bad blood at all over.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

cumshitter posted:

literally nobody calls edibles beefers, except harton and crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i wish i was old enough to sit at the adult table instead of babysitting my cousins so i could talk about beefers with the adults