Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I don't know how any fan of Twin Peaks can hate the "Just You" scene! The song, or the scene - they kinda go together, for me. But really, that scene essentially IS Twin Peaks, as much as the shots of trees swaying in the wind or traffic lights at night. It captures something ineffable, and it stays with you.

Also, I always felt like it's kind of an essential setup for that deeply nightmarish shot of BOB approaching Maddy (as our POV). The song and the atmosphere of the moment kinda lulls you into this relaxed (perhaps almost even trancelike) state with the repeated and reassuring shots of the happy teenagers in love, singing - and we think that the show is solidly in soap-opera/relationship-drama mode, and we're in this safe-feeling and warmly-lit American home besides. Then BOB, out of freaking nowhere, breaking through all these barriers, and as he climbs over the couch and table as if they're barely obstacles it seems like he could do the same to the fourth wall, and climb right through the loving screen and into our world :gonk:

That's always the feeling that scene gave me, and I don't really think the whole thing would work or be nearly as memorable without the performance of the song - it's all of a piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Bob living room scene is a masterclass in simple nightmare imagery. Like, that scene is straight up sleep paralysis poo poo.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

kaworu posted:

I don't know how any fan of Twin Peaks can hate the "Just You" scene! The song, or the scene - they kinda go together, for me. But really, that scene essentially IS Twin Peaks, as much as the shots of trees swaying in the wind or traffic lights at night. It captures something ineffable, and it stays with you.

My memory of it is pretty much fixated on how lovely the production of it was tbh. I can't say I have particular issue with the concept but the dubbing is bad and the actors look awkward performing in it. I think the other stuff you mentioned as being essentially Twin Peaks stuck better just on account of being artistically significant while also being accomplished with Lynch's typical high level of technical detail.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Maybe some folks would prefer the Japanese dub https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxzLhsCdCXg

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That's some seriously weird poo poo! I wonder why they changed it like that? I always felt like the weird audio production and James singing in that voice was a bit of a pastiche/comment of a certain type of pop music from the '50s and '60s, and I always felt like it made sense within the context of James' character and the tone of that sub-section of the show.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

eSporks posted:

Just you thinks that.
And I.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

eSporks
Chris Knight
Together
Forever

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Chris Knight posted:

Skipping episodes is for cowards.

:yeah:

Every episode is great.

seriously if you’re new to the series please don’t ever take “skip these specific episodes, skip the rest after x, etc” seriously it’s a big crock of poo poo and deserves the shovel.

e: I feel that was a little harsh, sorry, but I’m still not sharing my fries with you during lunch ya filthy skippers

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 16, 2021

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Kilometers Davis posted:

:yeah:

Every episode is great.

seriously if you’re new to the series please don’t ever take “skip these specific episodes, skip the rest after x, etc” seriously it’s a big crock of poo poo and deserves the shovel.

e: I feel that was a little harsh, sorry, but I’m still not sharing my fries with you during lunch ya filthy skippers
I wouldn't suggest skipping and agree it's all essential. But I would warn that S2 can be a slog and you just gotta push through. Dougie Jones awaits.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

shoeberto posted:

I wouldn't suggest skipping and agree it's all essential. But I would warn that S2 can be a slog and you just gotta push through. Dougie Jones awaits.

There’s something about the contrast and build from the weird mundane of some of s2 to the, well, the entire existence of S3 that works so perfectly for me. Its so good.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Kilometers Davis posted:

There’s something about the contrast and build from the weird mundane of some of s2 to the, well, the entire existence of S3 that works so perfectly for me. Its so good.

Not to mention the abject horror and extended weirdness of FWWM and Missing Pieces between them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I watched everything on my first go through, but I skip at least the James noir adventure scenes on rewatches. Life is too short.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this song just came out and reminds me of lynch / twin peaks in both the video and the song itself, i think this thread will like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddBDsQHVvN8

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

I watched everything on my first go through, but I skip at least the James noir adventure scenes on rewatches. Life is too short.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The James plotline is mostly just boring but it's still very Twin Peaks-ish. The real bad part of S2 is the extremely out of place Catherine in yellowface subplot.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Episode 8 aired 4 years ago today!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Man, that loving episode lives in my head right next to Mulholland Drive. Just nothing but the blue box and "got a light" all day long...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seriously, I don't think I'll ever forget the experience. Just sitting there mouth agape for an hour watching one of the - if not THE - most incredible episodes of television ever made.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Did that ep also have the nuclear explosion? Or am I mixing that up?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yep, that and the woodsmen clawing through Booper's guts and the Fireman's sweet crib with the opera singer, plus the convenience store and also the frog-moth.

Just an incredible loving episode.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All the aesthetics of that episode were wonderful, but I love that the giant lives in a 90s point-and-click Myst clone.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
also nine inch nails

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
THE nine inch nails, buddy

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Which puts Twin Peaks in the same universe as that HBO Watchmen series, or demonstrates that The Nine Inch Nails travel between universes.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

I'll never forget first watching that episode. It was the last night of a holiday, the middle of the night as we had to get up at like 3 in the morning for a taxi, watching the episode live on my phone in the dark, chain-smoking cigarettes before I'd quit, half asleep, as my gf slept. I honestly thought I'd put the wrong episode on or missed something a few times with the whole thing being so bullshit. I know David thinks it was loving bullshit watching it on my phone but honestly just this once, 10/10 experience.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I sometimes read the livewatch pages for that episode when I need a pickmeup

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chubby Henparty posted:

:same:

It starts here for anybody who wants a fun trip down memory lane.

Lanz posted:

Are they pulling a Ghost Hobo Egg out of him?

EDIT:
WAS THAT BOB'S FACE IN THE GHOST HOBO EGG?

CJacobs posted:

Holy goddamn gently caress

SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE THIS MAN A LIGHT

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Chubby Henparty posted:

Same except go back and listen to my favorite recap podcasts

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fullroundaction posted:

Same except go back and listen to my favorite recap podcasts

Gonna need that link friendo

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I like to listen to the Idle Thumbs Twin Peaks podcast when I rewatch

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I dont think I posted too much in this thread back then but reading along and experiencing the show with everyone was probably the best TV season viewing experience I've ever had

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

The Klowner posted:

Gonna need that link friendo

https://www.idlethumbs.net/twinpeaks

There are a million but like mentioned above Idle Thumbs is my favorite, maybe because I already liked the guys from their other stuff.

They did the entire original series leading up to the release of S3 and then did that in real time.

I miss this whole crew :(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

the numa numa song posted:

Not to mention the abject horror and extended weirdness of FWWM and Missing Pieces between them.

I still haven't watched Missing Pieces for some reason! Where does it fit? I'll work it in on the rewatch I'm planning very soon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After FWWM, before The Return. And it’s so good! You are in for a treat

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

I still haven't watched Missing Pieces for some reason! Where does it fit? I'll work it in on the rewatch I'm planning very soon.
Missing Pieces is all the deleted scenes from FWWM assembled into a full-length feature so watch it after FWWM in your rewatch :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Neat, thanks! :love: It's pretty nice knowing that I have more Twin Peaks content waiting for me.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

Missing Pieces is all the deleted scenes from FWWM assembled into a full-length feature so watch it after FWWM in your rewatch :)
Is this something other than whats on the DVD? Because my DVD with missing pieces is just a selection of deleted scenes in no particular order with not a lot of continuity its not anything I would call a full-length feature. Its really good though, especially for the educational vignette on 2 by fours.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No that’s it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Escobarbarian posted:

No that’s it

I just wanted to point out how much I love your avatar.