Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Sarah Vine's on record saying she doesn't like sex with Gove but considers it her duty, isn't she? It adds symmetry at least to realise that Gove felt the same way.
That Gove and Vine thought the best thing to do was to carry on sadly and unenthusiastically loving each other for no other reason than to conform to a red-top tabloid's idea of normality is another harm among the countless other travesties of inequality.

Edit:
The BR class 95 locomotive does not in fact exist. If one were ever spawned, it would likely share features from its two parents- the class 92 and the class 98.
It would therefore be a burly, who-gives-a-gently caress-about-aerodynamics general purpose locomotive with the aesthetics of a stomped portakabin, but steam powered.

Endjinneer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i was getting drunk watching italy almost lose but consider me legit surprised

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bump_fn posted:

i was getting drunk watching italy almost lose but consider me legit surprised

Yeah, I woke up from a nap to see Hancock had gone and people were still acting like his sin was having an affair rather than the corruption and nepotism

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Is it weird to think that a baby deserves the right to a peaceful nap in their own home more than someone deserves the right to hold a very loud party that can be heard across an estate and through headphones?

I don't think it matters what time of day it is to be honest. And egging noise makers on via Facebook and celebrating someone apologising for complaining sounds a lot like online bullying.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Endjinneer posted:

Sarah Vine's on record saying she doesn't like sex with Gove but considers it her duty, isn't she?

She said it was such a joyless affair that she started faking being asleep to stop him trying.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean really both Vine and Gove are such repulsive beings that I can easily believe that both of them are an actual example of being made gay by circumstance rather than the reality of sexuality being intrinsic.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tesseraction posted:

I mean really both Vine and Gove are such repulsive beings that I can easily believe that both of them are an actual example of being made gay by circumstance rather than the reality of sexuality being intrinsic.

That sounds really very appropriate for Britain.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Rabelais D posted:

Is it weird to think that a baby deserves the right to a peaceful nap in their own home more than someone deserves the right to hold a very loud party that can be heard across an estate and through headphones?

I don't think it matters what time of day it is to be honest. And egging noise makers on via Facebook and celebrating someone apologising for complaining sounds a lot like online bullying.

So people should just never be able to have parties in their garden? Fair play it sounds like
the noise was a wee bit excessive to say the least but, sorry parents, sometimes your child will be woken up by outside noise. Obviously I’d be dramatically less likely to hold that sentiment if I was one of the parents, but I’m not so I do and I don’t think it’s all that unreasonable. I don’t mean to sound like an rear end, I really don’t, but ‘you’re not a parent you couldn’t possibly
understand why I demand perfect silence in my neighbourhood’ isn’t as reasonable a sounding argument as a few of you seem to think.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I am not going to speculate, but if he did have a moment of completely flipping off the Tory MP mold and just came out and said "no more secrets, I'm gay, I do coke, I party, I'm going to get toned and tanned and live my best life, I've got the money for it, gently caress all y'all" and showed up at next Pride like

then I'm not sure how I would deal with that.

loving do it timeline, after the past five/eleven/forty years, do Hot Party Gove.

(By which I am not suggesting that it's a realistic standard that anyone can or should be Hot Party Gove, but he's got enough connections within the private health complex that he probably could, should he wish.)

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Jakabite posted:

So people should just never be able to have parties in their garden? Fair play it sounds like

Jakabite posted:

‘you’re not a parent you couldn’t possibly understand why I demand perfect silence in my neighbourhood’ isn’t as reasonable a sounding argument as a few of you seem to think.

Neither of these things were said, you're just making quotes up, there is a middle ground between never having a garden party and hiring live DJs that can be heard across the estate (and subsequently shaming people for complaining). OP was explicitly not talking about any old garden party.

Your position of not having empathy for parents because you aren't one doesn't sound particularly great. I mean...in this specific situation being discussed you can have empathy for parents who want their babies to be able to nap (or the child who doesn't get to choose where they live and just wants to sleep), or you can have empathy for the people who want to have an excessively loud party with live music in a residential neighbourhood.

Rabelais D fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 27, 2021

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
want something less sexy than the hancock kiss video

https://twitter.com/alexkealy/status/1408737133586644999

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rabelais D posted:

yeah wanting to control the behaviour of an entire estate just to benefit your family is a bit weird

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rabelais D posted:

It does matter what time, and I say that as someone who has massive anxiety spikes from noise that's out of my control, especially music. But If I got mad every time someone made a noise outside the house that I could hear inside it, I would very quickly go insane.

Flip this round the other way - I'm assuming the young kids and babies occasionally shriek or cry at 4am, or when the partiers are hung over and recovering on Sunday mornings. Are they arseholes for putting their neighbours through that? Do the neighbours have the right to be mad at them for disturbing them?

People making noise in the afternoon, middle of the day, late morning, that's just people. You can't expect everyone to be silent, nor should you. If it's 2 in the morning that's fair enough, feel free to go round and ask them to knock it off, round up some neighbours to back that opinion up (not with force, just with assenting 'this is unreasonable' opinions).

Babies probably do not give a poo poo though. If they did, they'd wail at the TV, the washing machine, people doing DIY or planes going overhead.

What they do give a poo poo about is how the adults around them are dealing with it. And if they start to associate dance music with their parents suddenly getting irritable and visibly angry or leave to yell at the dang fun havers, then yeah they'll probably start to get upset every time they hear it.

More concisely:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I have a kid on the way and I'm fully expecting to just put up with it :shrug:

If I want complete silence in the afternoon I'll just have to fork out for sound proofing, rather than insist everyone around me forgos afternoon weekend parties lol

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
This doesn't really feel like a productive discussion. Everyone's assuming that the other side is saying the worst possible interpretation of what they're posting and I'm not really sure it's going anywhere?

In other news, it's been a year since the events at the Park Inn in Glasgow:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57622440

quote:

Campaigners have marked the first anniversary of a knife attack at a Glasgow hotel which left six people injured, including a police officer.

Attacker Badreddin Abadlla Adam, 28, from Sudan, was shot dead by police in the incident at the Park Inn.

Campaign group Refugees For Justice called for an inquiry into the decision to house asylum seekers in the hotel.

It said the tragedy was a "direct result of the dysfunctional UK asylum support and accommodation system".

The Home Office said it was necessary to use the Park Inn as temporary accommodation for asylum seekers during the Covid pandemic.

Asylum seekers are still being housed in these hotels, many of which are not fit for purpose and dehumanising and isolating to live in:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/asylum-seekers-hotels-refugee-council-home-office-b1835832.html

quote:

Asylum seekers are being left without adequate shoes, clothing or suitable food in Home Office hotel accommodation, in what has been condemned as “dehumanising” treatment.

A report by the Refugee Council reveals that people seeking refuge have been confined to their rooms for days because they have inappropriate footwear – for example only a pair of flip-flops – or are having to wait for their one set of clothes to be cleaned.

In other cases, people who are physically unwell have had no option but to eat food that is harmful to their health, and have been unable to access even basic healthcare, with some prevented from getting the Covid vaccine despite being eligible.

This second article is from last month, but emblematic of the conditions which created the tragedy a year ago.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Reveilled posted:

This doesn't really feel like a productive discussion. Everyone's assuming that the other side is saying the worst possible interpretation of what they're posting and I'm not really sure it's going anywhere?

welcome to the internet are you new here

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bump_fn posted:

why would you post that like this

what did we do to you

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

bump_fn posted:

welcome to the internet are you new here

I know I don't post much in the thread, but I just don't like seeing people I like gettin mad at each other :shobon:

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The noisy neighbour problem was solved on my street when one evening the noisemaker was ambushed outside his house, pushed to the ground and given a black eye and bruised ribs, by a car full of young men in nondescript dark hoodies who were absolutely not hired by one of the other residents.

This crime was never solved.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I have a kid on the way and I'm fully expecting to just put up with it :shrug:

If I want complete silence in the afternoon I'll just have to fork out for sound proofing, rather than insist everyone around me forgos afternoon weekend parties lol

It takes about a week before the new entity bonds psychically and you realise that no, the childless friends are actually being total cunts who have no idea what “3 hour cycle” really implies.

When our eldest was born we had some curtain-twitching neighbours (or more probably their teenaged kid) leaving us a nasty anonymous message that our baby was crying loudly. Nice of them to raise the point, we hadn’t noticed.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I've lived for two years next door to an actual loving demon wearing a child suit, it screams and smashes my wall to tantrum at whatever damned hour it pleases, at volumes it shouldn't be able to reach

I've never been anything but polite to my neighbours and never mentioned it to them because as an adult I accept this is the tradeoff of living in a society. They don't complain about the nearby pub for the same reason

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
if I decided to have a party and my neighbours complained about weekend daytime noise, tho, I'd probably burn down the entire street

Mebh
May 10, 2010

People make noise. Various people are more or less tolerant to said noise.

I can't even have the windows open at night because the birds make my partner irrationally angry in the morning.

It does seem adhd makes it super easy to ignore the gently caress out of background noise like neighbours in their garden or parties though.

Put someone in a room with me quietly reading audible words and my brain loving melts if I'm trying to do something else though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

I agree with this. I live in a terraced house. The adjoining property has three kids in it. Sometimes they thump up the stairs at all hours hard enough to shake the adjoining supports and sometimes there's arguments. That's just what happens and I'm not going to try to tell them how to have kids just because I get woken up sometimes. Also sometimes the house two doors down in the other direction has loud family parties in the evening. Can't really be bothered souring relations over that one either and neither can the other folks I mentioned, it's just what is.

Way back I lived next door to some twats who decided to drunkenly kick part of the garden wall down during a party and chuck bricks from it at our house, that one was worth us all coming out and telling them we'd start chucking them back at their heids if they kept it up, but simple noise is one of those things that's both part and parcel of living (I was going to say 'living close to others' but I've spent time outside of that and crickets and primates will happily fill in) and yet never seems to have any solution other than competitive chuntering, so barring examples of completely unreasonable behavior it just goes round in circles of everyone filling in their own worst case.

Several sources dispute the general truth of this claim.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Two more grunting binbags filled with custard.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Spangly A posted:

if I decided to have a party and my neighbours complained about weekend daytime noise, tho, I'd probably burn down the entire street

What's a reasonable time to start getting mad that they are still going? And on the flipside, what's the acceptable time to start mowing your lawn while trying to be a considerate neighbour? I'd say 8:30 but I remember getting miffed a neighbour would cut the grass at 9am, exactly when I was trying to go to bed off the back of a 13 hour nightshift, but tbh I'd be tired enough to sleep through a cat 5 hurricane so the grass cutting was fine, sometimes you just want to grumble

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Buy a scythe and you can cut your lawn whenever you want, and you should definitely do it at night, with the scythe, in your dressing gown, and then sit outside and sharpen the scythe while staring at the house of your neighbour.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

People should be allowed to do whatever they want on a Saturday, the rest of the week is poo poo enough.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

What's a reasonable time to start getting mad that they are still going? And on the flipside, what's the acceptable time to start mowing your lawn while trying to be a considerate neighbour?
If 11pm is the considerate time to stop night party stuff in residential areas if it might disturb others, then 11am is the considerate time to start morning motor stuff in residential areas if it might disturb others.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

bump_fn posted:

Giles Fraser is such a loving weird idiot. His Wikipedia article does include this hilarious paragraph though:

quote:

Fraser has been involved in social and political advocacy and according to The Daily Telegraph "would be the first to admit that he is fond of the sound of his own voice".[9] In 2019, he claimed that "all my political energy has been a reaction to Margaret Thatcher. I hated and continue to hate Thatcherism with a passion that remains undimmed".[10] In the 2019 UK General Election, Giles Fraser voted for the Conservative Party.[11]

E: https://twitter.com/labouraccel/status/1408904695284908043

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 27, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't really see why he would dislike thatcher at all tbh.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is Giles Fraser the dangerous weirdo who wrote that revolting article about going on holiday with his three year old daughter and it being "the sexiest holiday ever" or was that some other Giles

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Dabir posted:

Is Giles Fraser the dangerous weirdo who wrote that revolting article about going on holiday with his three year old daughter and it being "the sexiest holiday ever" or was that some other Giles
That sounds more like Giles Coren

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Good morning.

Is George Galloway the chaotic good option for Batley and Spen?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

George galloway is not anything good, though he is quite chaotic.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is certainly an intriguing read if the rumours posted here yesterday are correct

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9728749/SARAH-VINE-problem-wife-knows-youre-not-Master-Universe.html

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Chuka Umana posted:

Good morning.

Is George Galloway the chaotic good option for Batley and Spen?

George Galloway is always the worst option. Don't vote for George Galloway.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
What about if every other candidate is evil? Who would you rather have being evil?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

smellmycheese posted:

This is certainly an intriguing read if the rumours posted here yesterday are correct

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9728749/SARAH-VINE-problem-wife-knows-youre-not-Master-Universe.html

Sarah Vine is clearly not known for her subtle hints lol.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Endjinneer posted:

Edit:
The BR class 95 locomotive does not in fact exist. If one were ever spawned, it would likely share features from its two parents- the class 92 and the class 98.
It would therefore be a burly, who-gives-a-gently caress-about-aerodynamics general purpose locomotive with the aesthetics of a stomped portakabin, but steam powered.
Ah yes, the Q1 Class

(also class 98 best class)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Chuka Umana posted:

What about if every other candidate is evil? Who would you rather have being evil?

Not the reactionary narcissist who is happy to inflame homophobia and every kind of nasty religious and cultural tension for the sake of his own ego.