Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But enough about Waluigi being the most fashionable bastard in all of gaming, this evenings unpopular video game opinion is that Builder's Journey is the perfect game to waste time with during a miserable hung over Saturday when you missed out on the beer sale and only have your mums horrible home made cider to nurse you. Seriously, this is probably the LEGO game I've always wanted. Even on a lovely old PC it looks gorgeous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTW0XRRRK50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone who looks up the results of a choice, or picks a side based on rewards is a coward. Always follow your heart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyone who looks up the results of a choice, or picks a side based on rewards is a coward. Always follow your heart.

I did this in Dragon Age 2 and thats how I found out the game will, flat out, play the results of other choices if you get to a point where your decisions would result in less than 3 characters other than Hawke still alive

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.

HopperUK posted:

I like it, but I think it definitely isn't for everyone. I play it in fairly short bursts and I enjoy watching the characters grow and change, and the writing charms me. If you're not digging the writing, or the fairly simple combat system (I like it but even I, a non-combat-lover, can see that it's basic as hell) and you're not finding that you care about your little people, then I say refund. You can probably get a dozen cheap games right now for the money and have yourself a blast.

yeah i refunded and got a slay the spire type game called Griftlands its pretty cool

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

I hate how much of an incessant do-gooder I am in video games. I just can't be mean to those pixels.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The thing that really gets me is usually the evil option is incoherently evil. Its something extremely stupid like "Save this kitten" and "Murder your own party member". Very few games make evil feel mundane and intelligible, something you can easily slip into without making the mental decision to do so.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

mandatory reference to Tyranny

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Tyranny was a great game marred by its IW-style combat and slight railroading. But it still delivered on its promise of playing the bad guy with nuance.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

The thing that really gets me is usually the evil option is incoherently evil. Its something extremely stupid like "Save this kitten" and "Murder your own party member". Very few games make evil feel mundane and intelligible, something you can easily slip into without making the mental decision to do so.

Yeah it's a big problem with a lot of narrative games. I think system based games do a much better job. I've done a lot of absolutely reprehensible poo poo in Victoria II. Or Crusader King's II where I've done poo poo like. Having my rebellious brother castrated. Had his wife imprisoned for life. Killed all his sons, and married his daughters off to foreign commoners.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

Tyranny's setting is waay cooler than pillars of eternity. I hope they make a sequel

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laffo I edited out my reference to Tyranny being a good example, but yeah. I don't like the endgame railroad or the combat but the actual decision making feels good and right.

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah it's a big problem with a lot of narrative games. I think system based games do a much better job. I've done a lot of absolutely reprehensible poo poo in Victoria II. Or Crusader King's II where I've done poo poo like. Having my rebellious brother castrated. Had his wife imprisoned for life. Killed all his sons, and married his daughters off to foreign commoners.

Yeah, CKII and paradox games do a great job because you understand and see the tangible benefits of being a monster and the view point is remote that it feels impersonal so you don't blink at "I guess I'll drown my wife accused of having an affair just in case"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I wish that more games with rpg mechanics let the stats impact the story

Like, what games in the last twenty years really let you play your character as somebody with zero intelligence?

There's Fallout 2, then Disco Elysium, and I can't think of anything in between

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

New Vegas slightly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
New Vegas has what amounts to a couple of easter eggs for low Int, or being really drunk.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In a lot of ways, many video games have you play as someone with very low intelligence.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

Arcanum had low int stuff i think

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Barudak posted:

Overlord 1 has the opposite problem where you're supposed to be an evil overlord leading your army of imps, pillaging and burning the local villages etc etc but there are a bunch of out-of-place good vs evil "moral choices" and even a morality meter for some reason.

The sequel improved that concept a lot by replacing "good vs evil" axis with "domination vs destruction", basically choosing between two different flavors of evil-overlordness.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

runnypoops posted:

Arcanum had low int stuff i think

I was about to say Arcanum. It probably has the worst combat in the genre, but iirc it was surprisingly reactive.

jokes posted:

In a lot of ways, many video games have you play as someone with very low intelligence.

:hmmyes:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Full Throttle iirc has you play as an outright meathead of a protagonist rather than the usual adventure game type, though that has its own problems.

A lot of video game protagonists are idiots, of course. Reminded of some bits in Golf Story where both NPCs and occasionally the unnamed protagonist himself acknowledge that he basically just does anything someone tells him to because he has nothing better to do apparently.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

As a more recent example - Ethan Winters is a tool and a dumbass.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

itry posted:

As a more recent example - Ethan Winters is a tool and a dumbass.

his one-liners are so lovely and low effort that it is straight up funny. You can tell its on purpose too.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

his one-liners are so lovely and low effort that it is straight up funny. You can tell its on purpose too.

Oh yeah. The writers definitely had fun making up stuff for this trainwreck of a character.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is boring as dust. I like those types of games but it's poo poo.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Full Throttle iirc has you play as an outright meathead of a protagonist rather than the usual adventure game type, though that has its own problems.

A lot of video game protagonists are idiots, of course. Reminded of some bits in Golf Story where both NPCs and occasionally the unnamed protagonist himself acknowledge that he basically just does anything someone tells him to because he has nothing better to do apparently.

I don't like how in Golf Story the wife turns out to be a gold digger at the very last moment (and therefore deserves being ditched). It would've been more interesting if the protagonist was a neglectful lovely manchild husband through and through. Don't give him excuses.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Workaday Wizard posted:

I don't like how in Golf Story the wife turns out to be a gold digger at the very last moment (and therefore deserves being ditched). It would've been more interesting if the protagonist was a neglectful lovely manchild husband through and through. Don't give him excuses.

Yeah, but that would have alienated their consumer base.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

flavor.flv posted:

I wish that more games with rpg mechanics let the stats impact the story

Like, what games in the last twenty years really let you play your character as somebody with zero intelligence?

There's Fallout 2, then Disco Elysium, and I can't think of anything in between

I never liked low int stuff and I think it's another example of the problem of "save kitten/strangle kitten in front of owner" dichotomy that games fall into. I don't want wild swings in the game, I just want something that allows for differences in character to matter.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This is not a shitpost. The reason every "moral" choice in games boils down to "be a saint" versus "strangle the nuns and burn the orphans" is because people can't really handle that poo poo in games. Yeah, maybe they could, but I very highly doubt people playing Wizard Warrior 3 or Space Shooters Part Two want a system that makes them question their own intentions.

Existential crisis doesn't usually sell gangbusters. So they leave anything like that to the indie devs.

Recently in this thread people were talking about making decisions based on rewards. So I don't think people are wanting real moral and ethical choices in games.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Once again Alpha Protocol did it right

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

But things can be not strictly good/bad. Like letting a kid skip out on school or telling their parents. Different people will decide which option is the good option, and won't necessarily feel conflicted about it afterwards. It's a moral question, but it's not a question of are you a good or bad person, it's a question of what do you think is good or bad in this situation. I think that's how you have to do it, cause I agree that a lot of people do not want to be pushed into making the bad person choices.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHSwvbvE9WU

syntaxfunction posted:

Recently in this thread people were talking about making decisions based on rewards. So I don't think people are wanting real moral and ethical choices in games.

We can have both. I certainly want both.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Serephina posted:

Tyranny was a great game marred by its IW-style combat and slight railroading. But it still delivered on its promise of playing the bad guy with nuance.
Caster gameplay/spellmaking was really awesome in Tyrrany but it's got the classic RPG thing where there's nothing interesting at all about physical damage and the spellmaking is easy to miss if you don't dig around in the UI. And you absolutely need to look up the best choices to make in the prologue lest you accidentally lock yourself out of the library or miss access to fire spells at the beginning.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alpha Protocol was nice because they were just "decisions" for the most part, not be a morally good or bad person, and had really reactive dialog/responses so even outside the ending or Marburg or whatever else people want to talk about I enjoyed in my first playthrough I 100% obliterated mute girl on the boat but was fair to most other people so Albatross lost his poo poo on me because he couldn't figure out why I killed her and why I was so stone cold about it and rubbing it in.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Honestly my biggest problem with good/evil choices in video games is that evil is almost always the inferior option. The choice is usually something like "shake this guy down(reward: a trivial amount of money) or give him a trivial sum of money(reward: +3 sawed off of demon slaying). Hell, half the time the evil option is just "gently caress you, I'm not doing your quest" and you get absolutely nothing.

Barudak posted:

Alpha Protocol was nice because they were just "decisions" for the most part, not be a morally good or bad person, and had really reactive dialog/responses so even outside the ending or Marburg or whatever else people want to talk about I enjoyed in my first playthrough I 100% obliterated mute girl on the boat but was fair to most other people so Albatross lost his poo poo on me because he couldn't figure out why I killed her and why I was so stone cold about it and rubbing it in.

I still love that the way you get him as a handler in the final mission is to piss him off so badly that he's doing it solely so that you survive the mission because he wants to be the one that kills you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im going through my mind but I swear there was some RPG (gothic maybe? Something janky) where the reward for the good option in every single quest was nothing. The game made no bones about it, you want to be a good person you get to be a good person so while evil characters got more loot, items, keys, and weren't depleted of rare items curing some random villagers sick child a "good character" would have absolutely nothing to show for it except the xp.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ultima 4?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That sounds very Ultima from what little I played. I'm actually keen to see which game did that, it's a funny sell.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Apparently New Vegas did the moral choices system thing right according to this YouTube video

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I'm pretty sure they meant Pathologic. Really janky. Really difficult in a bad way. Really odd writing made weirder by being translated from Russian IIRC. But interesting story nonetheless.

There are multiple protagonists and they interact with each other during the progression of the story. So you get to see the other side of each story. The young bright eyed doctor you start with? Total dipshit.

e: It's by the same studio behind The Void.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played Pathologic so I don't think it was that because I was certain it was a traditional style WRPG, but my brain may have fully melted because its a memory from like 15+ years ago.

Pathologic is great, again because morality is on you. Also because wowzer its a hell of a ride even if the meta narrative stuff doesn't work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
That era of weird eastern euro games was so fascinating. I got way too into Xenus 2 and Precursors, and despite how broken they were, there’s something really endearing about the end result.

Hell, I even had some fun with those dozens of janky 4C games that came in some cheap mega pack years ago.