Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
I continue to have issues. Copying my old profile that 89 saw fit to replace with a new one restored my old bookmarks, but not my logins. When I login to a site, it will ask me if I want to remember it, but it never does. If I try to manually add a username/password from about:logins, it reports "An error occurred while trying to save this password" and nothing else. Searching online for that string, none of the results are relevant or work. And before anyone tells me not to use the remember logins feature -- yeah, I don't care, it's easier. I've luckily got my fallback of a sheet of paper in my desk drawer.

Anyway, I'm tired of this garbage. Whenever I try to install the previous version, it immediately updates to the current. How do I install previous version and make it stick? Especially since the fixes to make the current version less poo poo will likely vanish with the next update. I've used Firefox since it existed and Netscape before that -- I bought Netscape 2.0 when it was released in 1995. I've never used any other browser. I've put up with a great, great deal over the last 26 years, but I'm too old to make excuses for them anymore and just want to keep using what's familiar to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

PersonFromPorlock posted:

I continue to have issues. Copying my old profile that 89 saw fit to replace with a new one restored my old bookmarks, but not my logins. When I login to a site, it will ask me if I want to remember it, but it never does. If I try to manually add a username/password from about :logins, it reports "An error occurred while trying to save this password" and nothing else. Searching online for that string, none of the results are relevant or work. And before anyone tells me not to use the remember logins feature -- yeah, I don't care, it's easier. I've luckily got my fallback of a sheet of paper in my desk drawer.

Anyway, I'm tired of this garbage. Whenever I try to install the previous version, it immediately updates to the current. How do I install previous version and make it stick? Especially since the fixes to make the current version less poo poo will likely vanish with the next update. I've used Firefox since it existed and Netscape before that -- I bought Netscape 2.0 when it was released in 1995. I've never used any other browser. I've put up with a great, great deal over the last 26 years, but I'm too old to make excuses for them anymore and just want to keep using what's familiar to me.

Haven't been following this, but did you try to use the profile manager to switch back to the original one, rather than copying files?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

How do I install previous version and make it stick?

Go here, choose Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR)

If you still have your old profile backed up, rather than copying it over the stuff in the busted profile you have now, copy the contents to a new folder in %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. Then use profile manager to switch into that profile. Especially if you do that after installing ESR.

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
That seems to have worked -- the Firefox Extended Support Release thing. I'm sure I'm running a security risk, but I only visit a half dozen sites anymore and I've every reason to trust them.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
There's an 89.0.1 if that unfucks anyone's font issues.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That seems to have worked -- the Firefox Extended Support Release thing. I'm sure I'm running a security risk, but I only visit a half dozen sites anymore and I've every reason to trust them.

ESR isn't a security risk. It gets updated to patch any security vulnerabilities at the same time as mainline (unless the bug was one that got introduced more recently than the ESR split).

The next ESR major update will be paired with v91 at the end of July, at which point you will need to update. You really don't want to be using an out of date browser for years in the future. And you can never trust the sites you visit -- even if the operators are trustworthy, they can have bad ads on them or have their server compromised.

But that gives you a month and a half to figure poo poo out. I would recommend at the very least doing an export of bookmarks, saved passwords, and extension data* now that it's all working again.

*most extensions that have lots of user data, like ublock & stylus, have export options

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mr.Radar posted:

but I never use it nowadays because Edge is Good Enough and I trust Microsoft (slightly) more than Google with my privacy.
What a bizarro time we live in

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One of the few advantages that Edge has is that the sandboxing that Microsoft has implemented is enforced by a higher-privileged process, meaning it's in theory harder to escape the sandbox.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

slidebite posted:

What a bizarro time we live in

It actually makes sense since if you run Windows, you basically have to (to a degree) trust in Microsoft/assume they know everything you do on your computer anyway. Running Edge isn't really adding on to that, but using Chrome is since now you're giving the advertisement company unrestricted access to your browsing habits.

Not that they don't/can't track you anyway because lol Google but it's a nice thought.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Zero VGS posted:

Even in Firefox Safe Mode, my pinned tab for Google Voice is a complete shitshow and eats up all my ram. Serves me right for using Google Voice but I've had a number with them for a decade, and this year they killed Hangouts so I think the only way to actively get text notification on my PC without running Chrome is to just pin voice.google.com in Firefox?

I feel like Google is loving actively sabotaging their pages when run in Firefox, as the worst resource offenders are Voice, Gmail and Youtube by far.

I gave up and just don't run/pin them in Firefox. Sucks but having a Chrome/Edge window open and only used for that isn't really worse than having Outlook, etc open forever in the background.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Cool. The Firefox change mucked up something with my aunt's workflow. Of course, she is loving useless with anything other than the exact steps she normally takes.
I am already loving exhausted from this week, and if I have to put pants on and drive over there, then I owe a certain Firefox dev a swift boot in the rear end.

Like, how loving hard is to just make a good product, and just DON'T CHANGE poo poo. If it AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Johnny Aztec posted:

Cool. The Firefox change mucked up something with my aunt's workflow. Of course, she is loving useless with anything other than the exact steps she normally takes.
I am already loving exhausted from this week, and if I have to put pants on and drive over there, then I owe a certain Firefox dev a swift boot in the rear end.

Windows Remote assistance, gently caress driving anywhere.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Klyith posted:

Windows Remote assistance, gently caress driving anywhere.

Quick Assist is the updated, much faster and more reliable solution these days.

But yes, gently caress driving.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I switched to Firefox nightly build on Android to use adguard's "custom signed certificate" that helps it filter ads

It lets me open tabs from Google now/feed finally, though not (multiple) in the background yet like before

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

I continue to have issues. Copying my old profile that 89 saw fit to replace with a new one restored my old bookmarks, but not my logins. When I login to a site, it will ask me if I want to remember it, but it never does. If I try to manually add a username/password from about :logins, it reports "An error occurred while trying to save this password" and nothing else. Searching online for that string, none of the results are relevant or work. And before anyone tells me not to use the remember logins feature -- yeah, I don't care, it's easier. I've luckily got my fallback of a sheet of paper in my desk drawer.

I had this same issue after moving a profile from Windows to Linux. It also interfered with uninstalling or installing extensions (I forget which, had to do it in safe mode). I was unable to figure it out and I eventually remade my profile and manually copied over all the settings.

I definitely dread Firefox updates more than updates to all my other software combined, maybe even including Windows. You never know what's going to break or what the devs are going to remove because they don't personally use it. Windows updates usually add new bloat I can turn off and then they turn some things back on which I have a script to turn back off, with Firefox it's never the same thing twice. Though, oddly for me, 89 was a pretty mild update except for the annoying rounded corners making the menus bigger and wasting space, since I'd completely hidden the top tab bar. If anything is amazing about Firefox it's how it's still the least-bad browser for power users despite Mozilla's attempts to kill it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I use a custom new tab page provided by an add-on and I'd like to use it for when I open new windows too.

Is there a way to do this? The setting for homepage and new windows doesn't show my add-on as an option.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

101 posted:

I use a custom new tab page provided by an add-on and I'd like to use it for when I open new windows too.

Is there a way to do this? The setting for homepage and new windows doesn't show my add-on as an option.

I just tried this with Tabliss and it was just a matter of hitting 'send page link' from the context menu to get the URL, then setting it to the homepage. Might work for Newt, too.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
umm..is there a way to get rid of the new " Explore tags" sidebar window that's now part of imgur?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Echophonic posted:

I just tried this with Tabliss and it was just a matter of hitting 'send page link' from the context menu to get the URL, then setting it to the homepage. Might work for Newt, too.

That seems to have worked. Thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Johnny Aztec posted:

umm..is there a way to get rid of the new " Explore tags" sidebar window that's now part of imgur?

Ublock's cosmetic filer (right click on thing, block element, click various ## options listed in the box until you find the one that draws red over the whole sidebar)

or

Get Stylus and look on userstyles or learn how to write styles. This is the better & more comprehensive solution if you learn enough CSS to make your own styles. Ublock can remove a chunk of website, but on many sites that doesn't make the rest of everything fill in the empty space.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Klyith posted:

Ublock's cosmetic filer (right click on thing, block element, click various ## options listed in the box until you find the one that draws red over the whole sidebar)

or

Get Stylus and look on userstyles or learn how to write styles. This is the better & more comprehensive solution if you learn enough CSS to make your own styles. Ublock can remove a chunk of website, but on many sites that doesn't make the rest of everything fill in the empty space.

Technically, that did work (the ublock thing) but as you said, it didn't cause that space to fill in.

So, that sidebar is gone, but just a big empty space there now. And no, I don't really care enough to learn to make my own styles. I would probably just cease to use imgur before I went through that much trouble.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, that sidebar is gone, but just a big empty space there now. And no, I don't really care enough to learn to make my own styles. I would probably just cease to use imgur before I went through that much trouble.
I don't know what sidebar you're talking about, but it sounds like one div that be hidden in CSS:

code:
#sidebar-div {
   display: none !improtant;
}
That's all you need to write in Stylus.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I used uBlock to get rid of the sidebar and haven't have any issues with it displaying full screen.

Just checked uBlock to see what I have blocked, and wow, I've blocked so much poo poo from that site. So many scripts and elements.

That's what happens when an image host thinks it's a social media site.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've been having a weird problem with uBlock's "block element" feature where the entire screen just goes black and I can't see what I'm targetting?

It's been happening for quite a while

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
My wild guess would be an issue with graphics drivers or some weird about:config setting related to rendering

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I used uBlock to get rid of the sidebar and haven't have any issues with it displaying full screen.

Just checked uBlock to see what I have blocked, and wow, I've blocked so much poo poo from that site. So many scripts and elements.

That's what happens when an image host thinks it's a social media site.

Read your comments, then went back and checked. There was a small little thing that wasn't part of the main sidebar, but was causing the issue.

S'all good now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Malloc Voidstar posted:

My wild guess would be an issue with graphics drivers or some weird about :config setting related to rendering

Maybe on the config, but it's been happening with 2 different GPUs in this machine and plenty of driver updates along the ways :(

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Did something change recently with dragging tabs between windows and dragging tabs around within a window? Suddenly it doesn't work at all, on 89.0.2

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Johnny Aztec posted:

Read your comments, then went back and checked. There was a small little thing that wasn't part of the main sidebar, but was causing the issue.

S'all good now.

Ah yes, running the eyedropper around the page over and over to try and find what microscopic element is loving everything up.

I know it well.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Didn't you used to be able to use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate between elements?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Malloc Voidstar posted:

My wild guess would be an issue with graphics drivers or some weird about :config setting related to rendering

I get this on Google maps at present, for sure a graphics driver thing.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I've been slowly switching to Firefox from Safari over the last few months. Really liking it so far. The proton tab design isn't great, but I'm glad they are using actual system controls/context menus on MacOS now. It fits in a lot better. And it's way more sane than whatever the Safari team is doing in the current betas...

I do find it hard to tell when a page is loading. The only visual indicator seems to be an hourglass that replaces the site icon in the active tab. Is there some other hidden indicator I can enable? Currently its really hard to tell if I have clicked a link properly or if its just sitting there.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Tangentially related to Firefox, but I recently started using Thunderbird on my personal computer instead of just running gmail in a web browser.

Is there a thread on the forums for Thunderbird?

If not are any of you guys still using it in 2021 and if so what add-ons do you recommend?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Granite Octopus posted:

I've been slowly switching to Firefox from Safari over the last few months. Really liking it so far. The proton tab design isn't great, but I'm glad they are using actual system controls/context menus on MacOS now. It fits in a lot better. And it's way more sane than whatever the Safari team is doing in the current betas...

I do find it hard to tell when a page is loading. The only visual indicator seems to be an hourglass that replaces the site icon in the active tab. Is there some other hidden indicator I can enable? Currently its really hard to tell if I have clicked a link properly or if its just sitting there.
Mine displays the name of the currently loading element in a pop-up in the bottom left. But I don't remember how to turn it on, I thought it was an add-on but I have no addon installed that could do this.
It also changes the reload page button from a reload symbol to a cancel symbol while the page is loading.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

64bit_Dophins posted:

Tangentially related to Firefox, but I recently started using Thunderbird on my personal computer instead of just running gmail in a web browser.

Is there a thread on the forums for Thunderbird?

If not are any of you guys still using it in 2021 and if so what add-ons do you recommend?

I use Thunderbird as my primary email app, for both my personal domain email and a gmail account.

Since the calendar is now built-in, the only addons I consider mandatory are "Provider for Gmail Calendar", "TbSync" and "Provider for CalDAV & CardDAV", so I can sync both my Gmail calendar and the calendar/contacts on my personal domain.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KozmoNaut posted:

I use Thunderbird as my primary email app, for both my personal domain email and a gmail account.

Since the calendar is now built-in, the only addons I consider mandatory are "Provider for Gmail Calendar", "TbSync" and "Provider for CalDAV & CardDAV", so I can sync both my Gmail calendar and the calendar/contacts on my personal domain.

I'll for sure check those out.

The only thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is the built in spam filter.

I have it set to automatically move emails into the junk folder that are marked "junk" but it's telling me that I need to mark emails as "junk" or "not-junk".

I have marked quite a few emails at this point and it seems that thunderbird still is not filtering messages into the spam/junk folder.

Is there something I'm missing/Am I doing something wrong here?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

VictualSquid posted:

Mine displays the name of the currently loading element in a pop-up in the bottom left. But I don't remember how to turn it on, I thought it was an add-on but I have no addon installed that could do this.
It also changes the reload page button from a reload symbol to a cancel symbol while the page is loading.
The page pop-up is default behavior, it's been like that since they took away the bottom status bar.

Other than that and the tiny indicators in the favicon spot on the tab and the stop/reload button there's no big activity indicator. I miss the big spinning corner logos, but every pixel of screen real estate is now too important for stuff like that and must instead be converted to big empty white spaces everywhere.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'll for sure check those out.

The only thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is the built in spam filter.

I have it set to automatically move emails into the junk folder that are marked "junk" but it's telling me that I need to mark emails as "junk" or "not-junk".

I have marked quite a few emails at this point and it seems that thunderbird still is not filtering messages into the spam/junk folder.

Is there something I'm missing/Am I doing something wrong here?

No, you're doing it correctly. It just starts from a completely blank slate and needs to be trained, which you do by marking mails as junk.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KozmoNaut posted:

No, you're doing it correctly. It just starts from a completely blank slate and needs to be trained, which you do by marking mails as junk.

Ok cool - I'll just keep doing it.

I mostly just need to have proper desktop notifications for emails since I'm knee deep in an aggressive job search.

I've never had recruiters email me like this and I need to make sure that I get back to all of them (99% of the jobs are at pure junk companies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't know if it helps, but there are ways to revert imgur to the old darkmode design, since i absolutely dislike the new layout. You used to be able to go to the settings section of the profile dropdown and somewhere there was a tiny green button that said something along the lines of "opt out of beta".

If that doesn't exist, there's a userscript for tampermonkey (or whatever is goon approved these days) called "Imgur Old Design" by reddit user "AyrA_ch" that will restore the old design for general browsing.

It's nice because gifs don't autoplay, and it doesnt have stupid flashy messages everywhere.

I know that's not what you specifically asked for, but it does the same thing as well as simplifies the layout.